PDA

View Full Version : B3 injection system

static1800
02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
What injection system does the b3 series run? specifically an 89 Quattro... Do the 10v and 20v run the same system?

Jmac
02-12-2007, 10:22 PM
K jetronic and then went to KE jetronic around 91-92 What do you need to know. I have loads of info on these systems mate!
CHeers

static1800
03-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Just curious as i may have found myself an 89 Quattro with a 20v in it :D

h100vw
03-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Just curious as i may have found myself an 89 Quattro with a 20v in it :D

That's the same as a KR with an extra cylinder. My uncle had one. Olde worlde injection like jimmymac says.

You should be able to chip the KE ones if they have lambda probes fitted.

Gavin

static1800
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
How do the 20v engines go? read up they have 170hp but would be a heavy car with all the quattro gear in it.

Jmac
03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
i will post you some pics tonight if i get time. I had a 5cyl 20v which they called an Audi Coupe. THey never came over here and they are very strong mate. The one you are talking about in the 80 or 90 is a great engine mate.
I dont have a bad word for it and i spent years on them. I also had an Audi Quattro full monty UR beast with the mighty 5 cyl 20v turbo Wayhay it was the best thing!!!!!!!
Many a tear shed when i sold that one

ValveBounce
03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Same topic I think!???
I am picking up an Audi 5+5 on sunday and the owner told me it now has a 2.3L engine from an Audi 90. ($200, good nick, imaculate trims!)
Is this injected the same as above? (I know its mechanical injection) Would the owner have to have changed anything to get the 2.3 engine into the 5+5?

Cheers!

Jmac
03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Older 90 had the KE Jetronic and was a 10 valve 5 cylinder jobbie. 10 valve is a good strong engine too. Just make sure You do the timing belt if there is no history because they do enjoy munching the valves!!!! While you are there you can do a water pump with seal. Good idea to do that while you are in there. NOt too costly for that little repair. Mate back in 1990 i owned an Audi 90 2litre 5 cyl and it was a great car. Mate what i can tell you is that the wishbone bushes will most likely be worn and need replacing. This is very common.
If you treat the thing right with regular services it will serve you well.
Good luck mate

ValveBounce
11-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey Jimmymac, I got my 90 engined 5+5 now and it all looks stock in the engine bay, doesnt seem to have anything changed.
Do you have and pointers of what to do or look for with the injection since it hasnt run for a couple years?
It started after about 5 turns!!!! but ran rough until I gave it a blip on the throttle! I think draining the tank and new fuel will help, its almost out anyway.

Jmac
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Draining the tank is the best thing you can do with that mate. That system doesnt like crap in the fuel and doesnt like any water . It causes major dramas. Run some nice new fuel, Change the fuel filter and while you are there send me the info off the white sticker in the boot .That has the engine number and vin and i can tell you anything you wanna know. My guess is thats its an NG engine number. In that case the filter is in the engine bay. Is there any history of a cam belt replacement????? VERY important.
I had a few Audis around this age and man the engine is bullet proof if looked after mate.
Jimmymac

ValveBounce
11-12-2007, 07:31 PM
your a legend Jimmy, Ill have a look and see what I can find.

audineil
20-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I just replaced my Audi 90 20V quattro with an A4 Avant 1.8T quattro.

The 90Q20V was a very advanced car when new in 1989. It had Hitachi (made under licence from Bosch) sequential fuel injection with dual knock sensors enabling cylinder specific ignition timing.

I am often amused by Nissan's claim of having the worlds first production car with a carbon fibre propshaft with their 350Z. The 90Q20V holds that record. Unfortunately most have been replaced as an assembly since 1989.

The 90Q20V also has a very good version of Bosch ABS, pretty decent brakes and the most intricate tuned length exhaust manifold seen before and rarely since. BTW as tempting as it is to remove the heat shield so the manifold is visible in all its glory, don't as the TPS won't survive.

It is believed that only 50 of these amazing cars reached Australia.

Check out

www.20V.org

Neil