PDA

View Full Version : 6N2 fault codes

Dubcrazy
16-06-2015, 08:32 PM
hey all, as stated in my previous thread the polo suffered from some issues..

now its been with the mechanic and i was contacted today as they cant work out whats the issue..

when they first connected there scan tool it came up with a few fault codes which it allowed them to reset all of them apart from two.. they are

00518 g69
00530 g88 both have the message "short with ground"

They have determined there is no spark and no pulse at the injectors. They said they think its mite be an immobiliser fault. The other reason they think it mite be the immobiliser is when they reset the codes and tried to start it spin over and attempted to fire once and displayed "engine failed to start due to immobiliser " but that goes when they reset.

so anyone got any suggestions?

thanks

steff.....

AALocksmiths
16-06-2015, 08:48 PM
I have had a lot of VW cars with immo faults caused to faults in the cluster but mostly in hotter weather.

In the ECU you should have a fault like "17978 Engine start blocked by immo" and in the instrument cluster would be "01128 immo pickup coil" and "01176 key".

If it is a cluster fault most of the time I can repair these.

pontiff
17-06-2015, 11:07 AM
I have had a lot of VW cars with immo faults caused to faults in the cluster but mostly in hotter weather.

In the ECU you should have a fault like "17978 Engine start blocked by immo" and in the instrument cluster would be "01128 immo pickup coil" and "01176 key".

If it is a cluster fault most of the time I can repair these.

If the immo is the same as the ones in the 6n1's you could just try and bypass it to test with. You can get them from ebay, or i have a few here. i actually have an immo from a 6n2 i could look at if you need.

AALocksmiths
17-06-2015, 07:34 PM
If your Polo does have the separate immo box try replace the key reader coil, I have had a few of these die.

Your Mechanic should be able to diagnostically see where the fault is with the car. If the car is reading the key transponder or not and if so, if the immo is sending a start code to the ECU.

Dubcrazy
19-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Ok with the mechanic now and all codes have been reset bar one and its a different one to before.

Its 01087 basic setting not performed

Any idea what the hell that one is as it wont reset and he/me have no idea whats the deal

Thanks again

Dubcrazy
19-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Still no spark and pulse. Nothing

Sorry forgot to say

h100vw
19-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Ok with the mechanic now and all codes have been reset bar one and its a different one to before.

Its 01087 basic setting not performed

Any idea what the hell that one is as it wont reset and he/me have no idea whats the deal

Thanks again

01087 - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01087)

https://www.google.com/search?q=01087+basic+setting+not+performed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I think a scan with VCDS would be better than a generic scanner. So much more information comes back.

GAvin

AALocksmiths
19-06-2015, 08:21 PM
If that is the only info that the mechanic can get then I think it would be a good idea to take it so someone that can deal with VAG. Like Gavin said you are going to need a bit more than a generic scanner, unless you want to pay for someone to be blindly swapping parts out.

Dubcrazy
20-06-2015, 08:38 AM
The mechanic i use is very good but isnt a VAG shop, the problem i have there is im a couple of hundred k's from a VAG shop.
So access to there systems is hugly limited. Would cost a small fortune to get the car tilt trayed down.

I was with him yesterday when he had it all hooked up and there is nothing being thrown up for immo anywhere, he is useing the lastest snap on scanner which i know wont be as good as a VAG one.

All the tests showed no issues bar an intermitant tps short( the original codes) but all else comes up fine on cluster and ECU.

Just no spark and not pulse which still leads me to think its something to do with the immo, now im no mechanic (spraypainter) and im a old car fan so electronics makes head hurt. But what i dont get it the fact it rev'd to 4 grand and hit the limiter as if i had rev'd it out first before completely shutting down. With the fault codes coming up on the tps i would say that but as i understand them even if the tps fails it would still start/have pulse/spark but run like junk and cause possible damage.

Its been a great car and the daughter loves it( going to be her's when she gets of her L's) really want to work it out

Thanks for any input, I'll try just about anything : o)

AALocksmiths
20-06-2015, 12:05 PM
It's going to make it tricky to diagnose with only a SnapOn as they don't really tell you much.

Isn't t there an immo light in the cluster? If so is it going out when you turn the car on?

If there is and it's going out then the immo box side is happy with the key but it might not be sending the start signal to the ECU, or if it is the ECU might not be getting it. It might be that the ECU and immo have lost their handshake and need to be adapted back together.

To help eliminate that it would be worth trying as pontiff (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/pontiff/) suggested and use an immo emulator, but if the fault is with the ECU then it still wont start.

Dubcrazy
30-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Heya. Update***

I have the car in the vw dealership and its looking like its ECU issues.

Powers going im but not out. They cant work out why at this stage and arnt 100% sure they will.

Now my question is can i get a second hand ECU? They said something about having to change a heap of other bits if i tryed that????

Really want to fix the car but putting a brand new ECU in just isnt worth that cars value.

Thanks for you input

Steff.

AALocksmiths
30-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes a used ECU can be adapted but the dealer will try sell you a new immo/ cluster and ECU.

All they would need to do is read the coding in your ECU, plug in the new/ replacement ECU and adapt it using the PIN then change the coding to match your old ECU.

Do you know the part number from your ECU?

jets
01-07-2015, 08:47 PM
When I had my 6N2 I started to have immobilizer fault show & in my case the battery would crank OK but had too much voltage drop.
The fix in my case was a new battery. Problem solved.

Dubcrazy
05-07-2015, 10:22 AM
They changed the coil/ariel on the barrel and still nothing the systems not reading the key so they cant even start there computer to see whats wrong. So now they are blaming the immo is the problem. I've told them to stop as the cost is getting to high.

The cars a fair way from me at presant so i cant get the numbers of the ECU/immo :o(

Starting to think it mite be all over

Dubcrazy
29-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Finally got the car back to day and when i can work out how to attach a photo of the ECU i will. So many different numbers so im not sure which ones your after.

I do know that there is no spark and no pulse but it has power to the fuel pump which im lead to believe its more likly not the immo as that shuts the pump down to?

Dubcrazy
29-07-2015, 08:58 PM
17964 hope this works

pontiff
29-07-2015, 09:54 PM
not sure on the 6n2 what it does, but either way if it were the immo it would be logging faults, so if you are not seeing coil / immo related faults i would indeed look elsewhere.

not sure on the 6n2 (only had one through the officer wreckers :)) but do they have a hall sensor on them? that can fail which would exhibit what you are seeing (been there done that).. can you see if there is spark coming from the actual coil itself?

Dubcrazy
01-08-2015, 09:53 PM
no idea if it has a hall sensor , ill look into that, i do know it doesn't have spark from the coil...