PDA

View Full Version : Rear drums of my74 Passat

vinderliker
05-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Had some weird grinding noise coming from rear of lil beatie, started just once on the way back after old skool drive day. Then it really got going during the rain we had in Canberra a couple of days ago. When it cleared took off the drums fully expecting some worn shoes, but they were fine, had trouble getting one side off, regreased bearings etc cleaned as best I could brake dust, re seated drums, however not sure of tension of the reatining bolt before split pin?
Anyway put everything back together and after taking ut for a test drive the grind diminished to it was gone after some heavy braking.
Can anyone help with the tension of the retaining nut? (not me I already have it in writing that I am already insane!!!).

James

imported_brackie
05-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Could give you the Bentley torque specs but you don't really need them. Seat the drum on the stub, tighten the castellated nut finger tight and check for play by grabbing the wheel and wobbling it. Tighten the nut to seat the bearings and when it's feeling tight to turn then back it off a couple of notches until there's no play and it turns freely. Not rocket science :wink: