PDA

View Full Version : 24 hours of LeMons!

jamie88
07-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Has Anyone heard about this? Interested?

Endurance car racing - 24 Hours of LeMons - Australia (http://24hoursoflemons.com.au/)

Basically its a 24 hour race, car can cost no more than $999,
You can spend money on wheels/tyres, brakes, roll cage, racing seat, fuel, safety etc on top of the $999.
5-6 drivers per team, crew extra
looks to be $870 to enter a driver.

Looks like alot of fun. Anyone else considering?

themarvel2004
07-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Been wondering how long until this event finally made it Oz. Has been running around the USA for many years.
Sounds like a bunch of fun. Unfortunately not that convenient for those of us living in the western half of the country...

Hillbilly
07-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Guess they wont be holding this at Orange. ROFL

SkodaVIC
07-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Irrespective of whether I'd be interested in having a crack, their website has given me a damn solid laugh tonight. Kudos!

Notso Swift
08-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Just be careful when you read the fine print
$999 car plus the $3k cage $2k in other safety gear and all that, but at the end the organisers reserve the right to buy the car for $999 at the end, err sorry not for me

Peter Jones
09-06-2015, 09:15 PM
That's madness.

You'd have to be insane to invest that sort of money into a clunker.

Safety gear is easily over $6000 and you've got another $5000+ in entry fees.

Count me out. I doubt they'll get many entries.

jamie88
13-06-2015, 02:11 PM
i think the $999 buy back is a joke
its hard to make sense of what is a joke and what isnt,
but year its definitely only for those who are fairly cashed up

volksMuller
14-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Lastminute Motorsport is our chosen team name keep an eye out in this event ,we are running a VW Golf......this is for charity . Yes you can enter with up to 6 drivers at a cost of $880 per driver......The event will be run at Wakefield Park with the aim is on endurance over a two day event and I think will be run as a super sprint format door to door racing will be more costly. Currently there are over 100 expressions of interest and the organisers are contemplating a second event due to the over whelming response. By the way it,s amazing what you can buy at a damaged car auction late model thats definitely not a clunker ....water damaged cars are the answer here. This event is aimed at a collective where by equipment costs can be shared by the competitors and don't forget selling space on the car can also used to purchase safety equipment, my take on this event is a whole lot of collective FUN going towards charity aimed at men...Prostrate Cancer......and at the end knowing you have helped in the community enjoying yourself...doesn't get better than that !!

seangti
15-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Brilliant idea and a funny read. You'd really want there to be a handful of races a year to justify the cost associated to prepping the car. But given the sub $1000 budget, the car probably wouldn't last a handful of races, at least not 24hr races. It could be a lot of fun.

Notso Swift
15-06-2015, 05:46 PM
These events are organised by a private profit making company, they are not for charity, they support a charity but it is completely different to something like the Variety bash where all "profits" go to a charity

I am sure it will be great fun, and I bet in a year or two there will be a few of them (just like the AASA endurance series which stated at Winton and is now at Wakefield and QR) and I would think those are the venues most suitable.

Slog It Out
29-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Lemons Update:

Having just returned from the Collie WA experience... 24 Hours of LeMons was an absolute blast with most drivers determined to do the event again next year and others promising to come with 2 x cars and two teams!

The Lemons event is now run at Collie WA, Wakefield NSW, Winton Vic, and Queensland Racing Qld and is about to go to New Zealand in a months time. Several cars including an old Peugeot (Rusty Pug) & Mercedes (Merconroids) have done all three first events to finish in the top 3 each time from memory. Some of the older small to medium size do particularly well in this event and you only have to look at the race results in the US to get an idea on how the various contenders are likely to fair. Whilst large sedans are fun to race in... they are not normally the main contenders in this event. You only have to look at the new LeMons Australia site to get an idea on how much fun this event is...... and it is growing rapidly. Check 24 hours of Lemons Australia – Endurance car racing – 24 Hours of LeMons – Australia (http://www.24lemons.com.au) for all the latest reviewed driver entry prices etc for 2016! NZ & Wakefield (If you go by any of the hype on Facebook, Twitter & the race tracks themselves) will both be huge!

Dubly
20-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Looks hilarious

Arcemsed
28-10-2018, 03:19 AM
Not interested.