PDA

View Full Version : 77 TSI - Underpowered?

Skamlpreet
06-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Good Day Folks!

Moved to Australia recently and am in the market for a Yeti 77 TSI. Primarily because of the lower sticker price and the 1.2% offer (though the number of cars available on the offer are limited). To be used only for weekend driving, hence do not want to plonk a lot of money. As of now we are two, planning for a third and parents visiting occasionally.

I am a bit of a spirited (still safety being prime though) driver and am gravitating from DSG's (driven the i20 and corolla overseas).

Need the opinion of existing owners if

- the 77 TSI feels underpowered. Will occasional 4 adults, some luggage and on the highways or the hills be too much for the puny engine?
- Any dramas with the turbocharged engine? Common issues
- problems with service and parts considering the significantly low marketshare of the Yeti
- Any others options (including Japanese - puhleaze don't kick me out of the forum) I can consider? I am expecting to pay around 25K on the 1.2% offer.

Appreciate your inputs

PMinAU
10-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Hi. Have had one for two years. I originally omitted it from our list because I thought it might be underpowered. How wrong I was. It is actually quite a lively car. We've taken it on long road trips like Adelaide to Melbourne and it goes well on the limit. No probs overtaking. Cruise control is very good. Fuel consumption is exceptional, although you need to balance that out by the cost of 98 octane. Ours replaced an XTrail and we find the Yeti much more lively to drive, much better on acceleration and overtaking, and better on hills. Four adults will possibly reduce it somewhat, although we take two and lots of luggage on our trips with no noticeable penalty. Can't yet comment on parts or reliability. Quality of fit and finish however is very good.

Sent from my X89 (E7ED) using Tapatalk

Greg Roles
11-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Can't find anything but minor complaints with my Yeti, very left of centre car that gets a lot of attention. I love having a reasonably unique car, and in the 77TSI that's a lot of bang for buck. I also got a low % finance deal, and to know my last MKV Golf racked up about $15grand total interest and fees, but this Yeti of mine was more like $4k, is a nice thing too.

One option for the smaller TDI's is a good piggyback tuning box, these are much more linear and kinder to the smaller turbo's in how they build power, and just so you know my list shows the 77TDI going up to 100kw and 300nm. You can always get a 77TDI, and if you want more then that sort of figure is both reliable and achievable, and Skoda can't OBD detect it. I'm finding the quoted figures are lowball too, with results often much better on the modern diesels. Just FYI, not a sales pitch.

brad
11-06-2015, 09:08 AM
I had a very short drive of a Golf Mk7 77tsi DSg the other day. There were 3 adults in the car & it only had 1500km on the dial so i assume it was still tight.

I thought it was one of the most gutless cars I've driven in a long time. It wasn't undriveable & there was no reason it couldn't maintain the speed limit but it wasn't lazy power - you would have to work at it.

Why not buy a 103tsi Octy? More room, more power.

aware
11-06-2015, 06:00 PM
I had a very short drive of a Golf Mk7 77tsi DSg the other day. There were 3 adults in the car & it only had 1500km on the dial so i assume it was still tight.

I thought it was one of the most gutless cars I've driven in a long time. It wasn't undriveable & there was no reason it couldn't maintain the speed limit but it wasn't lazy power - you would have to work at it.

Why not buy a 103tsi Octy? More room, more power.

No 77TSI Golf in Mk7 Brad - 90TSI replaced that model.

To answer the OP's question - I haven't driven a 77TSI, but I'd prefer to spend a bit extra in the Yeti and get the 90TSI as a minimum. A quick search on carsales shows a few Yeti 90TSI Ambitions for around the $26-27k mark (demo).

I tested a Golf 90TSI, Skoda Rapid 90TSI and XV last year. I bought the XV - whilst it's not torquey it enjoys a rev and still returns 9l/100km in the city (note - on 98 RON, and 6MT). And I can leave just about every "Zoom zoom" Mazda 3 driver behind me as soon as the road involves a turn or 2, and the same for GT86/BRZ. To be fair - I'm usually the only one in the car, so don't notice any issues with power.

brad
11-06-2015, 06:30 PM

That makes it even worse then!!!

sillyboy
12-06-2015, 09:44 AM
I have driven the 90TSI as a loan car for a day, it was ok for 1 person(Zippy in town actually, enjoyable to drive), I am pretty sure 77tsi with 4 adults will be a bit demanding for the engine. as Brad suggested, Octavia will be a better car.

alloyvee
12-06-2015, 07:23 PM
I had a Yeti 2.0 TDI with DSG as loan car a couple of weeks ago. No shortage of grunt there but quite a bit more money than a 77 TSI!! I want one!!

Lucas_R
12-06-2015, 08:53 PM

To answer the OP's question - I haven't driven a 77TSI, but I'd prefer to spend a bit extra in the Yeti and get the 90TSI as a minimum. A quick search on carsales shows a few Yeti 90TSI Ambitions for around the $26-27k mark (demo).

I tested a Golf 90TSI, Skoda Rapid 90TSI and XV last year. I bought the XV - whilst it's not torquey it enjoys a rev and still returns 9l/100km in the city (note - on 98 RON, and 6MT). And I can leave just about every "Zoom zoom" Mazda 3 driver behind me as soon as the road involves a turn or 2, and the same for GT86/BRZ. To be fair - I'm usually the only one in the car, so don't notice any issues with power.

A Subaru XV leaving a BRZ/86 behind through the corners? Unless its an 80 year old woman driving or one of many people who seem to drive with their eyes closed then i don't see that happening. And I've just bought my wife a new Mazda 3 SP25 Astina and they actually go quite well with the 2.5L engine. The Mazda 3 has always been pretty decent through the corners too.

aware
12-06-2015, 09:28 PM
A Subaru XV leaving a BRZ/86 behind through the corners? Unless its an 80 year old woman driving or one of many people who seem to drive with their eyes closed then i don't see that happening. And I've just bought my wife a new Mazda 3 SP25 Astina and they actually go quite well with the 2.5L engine. The Mazda 3 has always been pretty decent through the corners too.

Believe me - it does it. Just because they have a BRZ/86 doesn't mean they actually drive it properly. It isn't a Porsche, but for a $30k jacked up hatchback it's pretty good. I've been fortunate to drive some cars that handle exceptionally well but two of my favourites were 3.5 and 9 times more expensive than the XV. I don't want to start an argument here as it is of little relevance to the OP. My reason for mentioning it was that the OP stated he still enjoyed spirited driving - merely pointing out that it can be done.

Skamlpreet
13-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks a lot for your feedback and inputs everyone.

I test drove it again last weekend and realised that it may fit my needs for the moment and switching off the air-con does make a big boost in power. (had to do that with my i20 overseas)

I did end up buying the 77 TSI however have not yet taken delivery of the vehicle.

I was about to pick it up today when I checked the Rego online and realized that the dealer has registered it as 'Black' when infact it is Cappuccino Biege with a Black roof.

I have said no to the delivery of the vehicle until they get it fixed (not until Monday or Tuesday next) which means that the pcik up of the car is only going to be next weekend.

Can those of you who have dual Colour tone Yetis advise what colour have their cars been registered as?

Appreciate all your help through my roller coaster journey in getting my first vehicle in Australia

CardinalSin
13-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Greg, when you say piggy back tuning box do you mean something that needs to be tuned on the dyno or one of the plug n play chip versions?

CardinalSin
13-06-2015, 11:36 AM

I had one of the first GTS 86 manuals and sold it for practical reasons. The handling was sublime and other cars felt ponderous to drive by comparison. For some reason I spotted the Yeti and drove 2 hours to the dealer for a test drive but could only try the 1.2 manual.
What impressed was that it didn't feel ponderous and actually felt good to flick quickly through roundabouts. I ended up buying a 103 TDI with DSG and 4x4 for the extra grunt and multi link rear suspension when they were heavily discounted and always enjoy driving it. Plus I can buy things and take them home too.
Given the chance to go back I would have bought a 1.8 TSI manual 4x4 because it's quicker and cheaper but at the time manuals were almost impossible to get in the limited WA market.

I still enjoy manually shifting down aproaching roundabouts, with a car up my clacker and leaving them for dead by the time i'm back up to the speed limit. Slow in fast out also gets good economy.

Greg Roles
14-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Greg, when you say piggy back tuning box do you mean something that needs to be tuned on the dyno or one of the plug n play chip versions?

Simple plug and play- plug in chip, about to put one on and dyno it on my 103. Plugs into cam position, boost and fuel, does amazing things to the 103 MK 6 Golf. I will sell it off cheap as I will be going to a warranty obvious OBD flash for my sports DPF testing shortly, but want to get actual figures on a RDT 103 box given how good the few Mk6 diesels I have personally done respond.

I've been keeping quet on the RDT stuff, as a lot of testing is going on, but on diesels these piggys are often beating OBD tunes. The GTD result is astonishing, WAY beyond the best OBD tune anyone can do. It all comes down to how these better boxes can get around all the limiters even a proper OBD flash tune cannot access. And no TD1.

Greg Roles
14-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks a lot for your feedback and inputs everyone.

I test drove it again last weekend and realised that it may fit my needs for the moment and switching off the air-con does make a big boost in power. (had to do that with my i20 overseas)

I did end up buying the 77 TSI however have not yet taken delivery of the vehicle.

I was about to pick it up today when I checked the Rego online and realized that the dealer has registered it as 'Black' when infact it is Cappuccino Biege with a Black roof.

I have said no to the delivery of the vehicle until they get it fixed (not until Monday or Tuesday next) which means that the pcik up of the car is only going to be next weekend.

Can those of you who have dual Colour tone Yetis advise what colour have their cars been registered as?

Appreciate all your help through my roller coaster journey in getting my first vehicle in Australia

The main body colour is what you use, roof doesn't matter for rego.

Odd you need to turn off the AC as it is supposed to pretty much disengage for acceleration, at least thats what Vag Com shows me, but I wont argue reality for a smaller donk. On cruise the AC pulls about 5 newtons, which drops to 1 for acceleration when I have tested it.

CardinalSin
14-06-2015, 09:14 PM
I had no idea you could get anything like that without accessing the ECU.
How difficult are the cam and boost connections to get at? I know where the fuel rail one is.

Good luck with the testing of the DPF.

Skamlpreet
16-06-2015, 03:21 PM
The main body colour is what you use, roof doesn't matter for rego.

Odd you need to turn off the AC as it is supposed to pretty much disengage for acceleration, at least thats what Vag Com shows me, but I wont argue reality for a smaller donk. On cruise the AC pulls about 5 newtons, which drops to 1 for acceleration when I have tested it.

Thanks for the info Greg. Didn't know they did that. Got the body colour sorted. Expect to take the delivery of the vehicle by the end of the week and will share any further feedback I have.

SGG
23-06-2015, 05:35 PM
..... the 77 TSI feels underpowered

Sorry about the late contribution .... better late than never ... I too test drove a 1.2 manual yeti and a 1.4 auto and eventually went with the 1.4 ambition. It was chalk and cheese for me ..... the 1.2 just didn't have the punch that the 1.4 had.

Cappuccino Biege is a great colour choice :banana:

Skamlpreet
24-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks a lot for your help and advise everyone.

I did end up picking the 77 TSI DSG in Cappuccino Beige with black roof over the weekend.

Did almost 70KMs in the city between Saturday and Sunday including steep uphill / downhill in the Tarramurra / Pennant Hills areas and initial impressions

1) Have not required to hit the accelerator hard so far, just a light press has been doing the job. Mindful that I need to be careful with the new baby not to rev it to death
2) The power delivery seems to be non-linear at initial speeds when you step on the gas, literally takes of like a rocket when the turbo kicks in, which takes some time to, haven't actually taken it to the freeways as yet. I have always been driving CVT (Hyundai's) and Toyota's so far, so need some time to get used to the DSG's

Will come back with more questions as I am pretty sure I will have them over the course of next few weeks

Arnold
24-06-2015, 01:45 PM
I did end up picking the 77 TSI DSG in Cappuccino Beige with black roof over the weekend.

I would have chosen the weekend.

CardinalSin
25-06-2015, 10:53 AM
The 1.2 manual Yeti I test drove impressed with it's handling and smooth power from a small engine but what impressed me most was how incredibly quiet that engine was.

Skamlpreet
26-06-2015, 09:21 AM
but what impressed me most was how incredibly quiet that engine was.

Agree....almost a golf cart feeling :facepalm:

danntsi77
20-07-2015, 08:55 PM
i have a yeti 90tsi and love it, ive had a polo 77tsi with the 1.2 turbo and loved that too, the 1.2tsi is a sweeter sounding engine and loves to rev, the 90tsi is better for bottom end and midrange. either engine will make a great highway cruiser. :)

afterdarker
20-07-2015, 09:25 PM
I have a larger motorcycle...