PDA

View Full Version : New rotors and pads

95vr6
29-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Replaced my rotors and pads f&r today on my T5 at 120k, has any one else have this done yet?

BobD
30-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Why did you need to replace rotors at such a low mileage? How long do your pads last? I had to replace the pads once in 110k on my old manual T4 (probably pretty low when I sold it though) but I expect the auto Multivan will chew them up a bit quicker.

95vr6
30-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Why did you need to replace rotors at such a low mileage? How long do your pads last? I had to replace the pads once in 110k on my old manual T4 (probably pretty low when I sold it though) but I expect the auto Multivan will chew them up a bit quicker.

I have replaced the first set of pads at 57500k's. all up weight of the T5 is 2450kg all the time. Went with mintex pads this time to see if they will have less brake dust from oem.

Transporter
30-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Replaced my rotors and pads f&r today on my T5 at 120k, has any one else have this done yet?

It is not uncommon on European vehicle that rotors get replaced every time when you replace brake pads. I've done 47,000km and brake pads indicators were disconnected @37,000km. I bought front and rear pads and have them on stand by in my shed. My rotors will not last more than yours. I've had MB Vito van before and pads were done @45,000km with rotors. Two rear rotors were cheaper than rear brake pads - the front ones were the same price.:)

BobD
30-11-2007, 09:36 PM
No one has yet said why they are replacing their rotors. I assume it is because they are below the minimum thickness but I can't believe that is the case. In every other vehicle I have ever had in the last 30 years or more rotors last for several hundred km even when machined several times.

Do they make VW rotors super thin or something?

95vr6
01-12-2007, 12:22 PM
It is not uncommon on European vehicle that rotors get replaced every time when you replace brake pads. I've done 47,000km and brake pads indicators were disconnected @37,000km. I bought front and rear pads and have them on stand by in my shed. My rotors will not last more than yours. I've had MB Vito van before and pads were done @45,000km with rotors. Two rear rotors were cheaper than rear brake pads - the front ones were the same price.:)

I have done two pad set changes to one set of rotors which i think is quite acceptable for such a heavy van.

Transporter
01-12-2007, 06:13 PM
No one has yet said why they are replacing their rotors. I assume it is because they are below the minimum thickness but I can't believe that is the case. In every other vehicle I have ever had in the last 30 years or more rotors last for several hundred km even when machined several times.

Do they make VW rotors super thin or something?

How old is your youngest vehicle? And is it European or Japanese?

TDI Dude
01-12-2007, 08:11 PM

I think you'll find that European manufacturers develop brake packages that work on the prinicple that pad and rotor work together to enhance braking performance ie: metal composition of rotor and pad is that they will wear together to give maximum braking performance. It is not normally economincal to machine rotors at pad change as you'll have an undersize rotor well before next pad change. Best thing to do is change pads without rotor machining, the norm seems to be two sets of pads per one rotor life. This seems to work best both economically and performance wise. One thing for sure is that most european cars have outstanding braking performance but the flip side is relatively short rotor life if compared other manufacturers.

Seano
03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
My 2001 T4 DOKA is at 105,000 or thereabouts and is still on its original pads (still plenty of meat) and, of course, rotors.

But if your van has ABS, stability and traction control (mine doesn't) AND you spend a lot of time in suburbia (which I don't) then you will almost certainly chew your pads and rotors up in no time.

And that's because all these toys rely on the brakes to work. So they are used more often and run hotter. This has really shown itself in modern 4x4s!!

Add to that the constant search for reducing unsprung weight (which means lighter/thinner rotors) while increasing passenger safety & comfort (more weight which has to be stopped) and more powerful engines (higher acceleration speeds which have to be controlled at the next lights..) and you have a modern recipe for brake demolition!!

BobD
03-12-2007, 03:18 PM

The youngest of my old cars is a 96 Volvo 850 with 350,000km. The disks were machined to get rid of the ridge left where the disk hasn't been touched by the pad and they are still above the minimum thckness.

Most of the others were Australian and I have never put new rotors on any of them, even with machining at every pad change that used to be the norm.

I had a Volvo 760 that was on about 450,000km when I bought it for $1200. I did over 90,000km extra on that with no problems of rotors requiring changing and that car was completely neglected when I bought it. It only died due to corrosion in the aluminium engine and water pump, not due to any problems with the brakes, which were always brilliant in my opinion.

Transporter
03-12-2007, 03:59 PM
The youngest of my old cars is a 96 Volvo 850 with 350,000km. The disks were machined to get rid of the ridge left where the disk hasn't been touched by the pad and they are still above the minimum thckness.

Most of the others were Australian and I have never put new rotors on any of them, even with machining at every pad change that used to be the norm.

I had a Volvo 760 that was on about 450,000km when I bought it for $1200. I did over 90,000km extra on that with no problems of rotors requiring changing and that car was completely neglected when I bought it. It only died due to corrosion in the aluminium engine and water pump, not due to any problems with the brakes, which were always brilliant in my opinion.

Different cars, different drivers and driving conditions will affect how long your rotors last. The same is for the tyres.:)

BobD
03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
My point is that on all of my cars I have had many pad changes over the years but never a rotor change due to wear. Seems excessive to have to change rotors every second set of pads or anywhere near 100,000km, which is barely run in!!

Anyway, I intend to keep the Multivan for a long time so I will find out for myself how long the rotors last at some stage. At least driving in Perth we don't have as many stops and starts as Sydney and Melbourne and the traffic usually flows pretty freely.

Transporter
03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
My point is that on all of my cars I have had many pad changes over the years but never a rotor change due to wear. Seems excessive to have to change rotors every second set of pads or anywhere near 100,000km, which is barely run in!!

Anyway, I intend to keep the Multivan for a long time so I will find out for myself how long the rotors last at some stage. At least driving in Perth we don't have as many stops and starts as Sydney and Melbourne and the traffic usually flows pretty freely.

Mate you will probably get 100,000km from your pads and more from the rotors, like I said different drivers different life from brakes and tyres.:)