PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a RS Wagon

CanberravRS
29-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Guys/Gals, ive just ordered a new Octavia RS wagon from Lennock Motors Canberra. Hoping it arrives before XMAS.
Have ordered a Race Blue version with a few extras, amazed at the value of the machine.
Really looking forward to driving it every day.

Thinking of getting a few more KW's out of it so if anyone can suggest a good ECU upgrade.

thanks

Jarred
29-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Hoyhoy! welcome to the forum mate! Congrats on your purchase

There are plenty of upgrades out there, and I'm sure this wealth of knowledge (ie, guys on the forum) will be able to point you in the right direction.

Again, welcome

GoLfMan
29-11-2007, 09:16 PM
As Jarred said, welcome mate!
fine choice there, the RS wagon is a fantastic purchase in terms of value and performance not to mention VW quality!
youll find whatever advice you need on here, just ask!

junior
30-11-2007, 07:43 AM
congrats on the purchase, what a great xmas pesent !!

JP_Aircooled_TDi
30-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Wow! Congratulations!

I have read that in Europe, the Skoda consistantly outshines the VW in the quality of build and this is reflected in the numerous awards that Skoda have been recieving.

I have been thinking about replacing the MkV TDi Golf with a Jetta (need the extra room), but I am now seriously considering the Octavia Wagon with the 2 TDi - and possibly 4 motion if funds permit.

The gurus at Canberra VW Centre will be able to help you with any mods you are considering. Speak to them first is my suggestion.

Less than a month wait for your new car? Maybe VW can learn from this :rolleyes:

Very keen to hear your thoughts on how easy it is to live with.

Enjoy :D

VW Convert
30-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Guys/Gals, ive just ordered a new Octavia RS wagon from Lennock Motors Canberra. Hoping it arrives before XMAS.
Have ordered a Race Blue version with a few extras, amazed at the value of the machine.
Really looking forward to driving it every day.

Thinking of getting a few more KW's out of it so if anyone can suggest a good ECU upgrade.

thanks

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum. Great choice of car, I'm sure you will receive lots of input about an ECU upgrade. I've considered doing same to my Jetta, but keep concluding that it has heaps of grunt anyway so why bother.

congrats on the purchase, what a great xmas pesent !!

Was that a very subtle hint Josh? :)

Cheers

George

phaeton
30-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Welcome to VWwA ;)

Post pics as soon as you get the RS pleaseeeeeeeeeeee :D

CanberravRS
30-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

As soon as i have it a few Pic's will be taken down next to the Lake here and then ill post it.

Thanks for the info on who to talk to, and yes i do agree the car has a substantial amount of get up and go for its size and load capacity.
I looked at about 9 different wagons and test drove pretty much anything under 75k and well, like was commented before about the build quality, its really well packaged.

I was lucky enought to get a RS Wagon to test drive for an hour alone. And well it bucketed down rain at one point and the car was so amazingly stable and re-assuring. Ive had a few quick and excellent handling cars recently like a 2003 Mini Cooper S (modified) and prior to that an e36 325BMW, and hey the Skoda matches a standard Cooper S for outright acceleration standard and handles better than the 325 so for me its perfect.

Dealer rang up this morning.. car was supposed to arrive yesterday in Syd. But its still on the boat and wont land in Aus till the 12th December now.. so its going to be a really close call to get the car before xmas.

VW Convert
30-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Dealer rang up this morning.. car was supposed to arrive yesterday in Syd. But its still on the boat and wont land in Aus till the 12th December now.. so its going to be a really close call to get the car before xmas.

There is a litany of posts on this forum about VW dealers and delivery promises, it's become something of a standing joke, seems like Skoda dealers are mainaining the tradition. :)

At least they rang, that's different!

Would be great if you did get it before Christmas and we are looking forward to hearing how it is going over time. I think Skoda is going to carve out a significant niche for itself with good quality at a competitive price.

Cheers

George

junior
30-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Was that a very subtle hint Josh? :)

Cheers

George

a hint, not intentionally, I think he is ACT based anyway

VW Convert
30-11-2007, 02:22 PM
a hint, not intentionally, I think he is ACT based anyway

Just kidding mate! :D

DanSA
01-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Congrats mate, and nice choice.

We are in the process of getting one atm, trouble is - none to test drive atm:mad:
Looking at 1.8TFSi wagon with all the fruit , or 4x4 2.0TDi

hope u get it b4 xmas..

CanberravRS
01-12-2007, 09:24 AM
yes the limited number and time to get a specific order is quite a long time. If you get a few Factory options its a 3-4 month wait from what i was told.

It will get better as they build the name up in Aus.

vinderliker
03-12-2007, 07:53 PM
The RS is great value for money and in European quality surveys Skoda has beaten VW.

GermanwithaVdub
03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
im shocked that no1 has suggested any chip tuning choices

oettinger would be my recommendation purely because they have worked alongside and with vw for many decades (german company)

apr are also a good company and well renowned for their vw products (sorry referring to your skoda as a vw but... well... it is :D ) (american company)

steinbauer are also worth a look if you're after the removable add-on type chip tune

then theres a whole host of other smaller companies who do chip reflashes and power boxes, a quick google search will give you at least a dozen

the RS is the 2.0tfsi yes? some companies might not have a chip tune listed for the skoda octavia yet but its the same setup as a golf gti. if they dont know that then dont get anything off them :P

congrats on the purchase

CanberravRS
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the advice mate.. i have also found that Revo-technik and AMD one click are available.. so its really just a matter of looking at the pro's and cons of them all.
Im not fussed about the name Skoda as it really is just a collation of parts from the VW big bucket. Just happens to be assembled by some amazing engineers who are quite passionate about the build quality.

2.0 TFSI it is and it seems there are plenty of manufacturers and aftermarket parts suppliers around that are willing to supply.

So heres the wish list..
ECU flasher - revo or oettinger or amd etc most quote 147KW up to 193kw and 280nm to up to 409nm of torque.
Miltek exhaust - cat back probably
Oettinger Ram Air carbon air intake
Oettinger Turbo outlet kit
Brake pad upgrade to maybe some Pagid blue's or Ferrodo motorsport pads

That combo with the so called figures of the ecu, exhaust, intake/airfilter and the turbo outlet kit should be close to 200kw and 440nm of torque. Making it quite a sleeper..
Mind you i have no idea if the chassis can handle that sort of power without bracing or better engine mounts and strut braces etc.. but its all a pipe dream and the car hasn't even arrived yet.. :(:?:mad:

Anyhoo i have rambled on enough.. hehehehe :rolleyes:

Transporter
04-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the advice mate.. i have also found that Revo-technik and AMD one click are available.. so its really just a matter of looking at the pro's and cons of them all.
Im not fussed about the name Skoda as it really is just a collation of parts from the VW big bucket. Just happens to be assembled by some amazing engineers who are quite passionate about the build quality.

2.0 TFSI it is and it seems there are plenty of manufacturers and aftermarket parts suppliers around that are willing to supply.

So heres the wish list..
ECU flasher - revo or oettinger or amd etc most quote 147KW up to 193kw and 280nm to up to 409nm of torque.
Miltek exhaust - cat back probably
Oettinger Ram Air carbon air intake
Oettinger Turbo outlet kit
Brake pad upgrade to maybe some Pagid blue's or Ferrodo motorsport pads

That combo with the so called figures of the ecu, exhaust, intake/airfilter and the turbo outlet kit should be close to 200kw and 440nm of torque. Making it quite a sleeper..
Mind you i have no idea if the chassis can handle that sort of power without bracing or better engine mounts and strut braces etc.. but its all a pipe dream and the car hasn't even arrived yet.. :(:?:mad:

Anyhoo i have rambled on enough.. hehehehe :rolleyes:

Is there 4motion in you order?
Otherwise you don't have to be able transfere allthe power you gained by mods to the wheels.:?:

CanberravRS
04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Is there 4motion in you order?
Otherwise you don't have to be able transfere allthe power you gained by mods to the wheels.:?:

hmmmm well i have been in a 350hp Octavia in the UK and it certainly put the power down.. 200kw isnt alot..

I used to have a 2003 Mini Cooper S that had 165kw's at the front wheels and it was totally capable of putting the power down.

Being heavier and longer wheelbase im guesing it will put that power down better than a Golf GTI would. But as i said.. its a wish list and one item at a time will happen..

GermanwithaVdub
04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
hmmmm well i have been in a 350hp Octavia in the UK and it certainly put the power down.. 200kw isnt alot..

I used to have a 2003 Mini Cooper S that had 165kw's at the front wheels and it was totally capable of putting the power down.

Being heavier and longer wheelbase im guesing it will put that power down better than a Golf GTI would. But as i said.. its a wish list and one item at a time will happen..

i'm sorry i have to disagree with that... no front wheel drive car ive driven/been in has been able to "put the power down"... especially accelerating out of corners

Transporter
05-12-2007, 06:55 AM

How wide the tyres you plan to fit? And how quickly you will release the clutch pedal? All these will be important.
I'm sure you will be enjoying it anyway. Did you get the VIN no. ?

XXX-1.8T
05-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Wow! Congratulations!

I have read that in Europe, the Skoda consistantly outshines the VW in the quality of build and this is reflected in the numerous awards that Skoda have been recieving.

I have been thinking about replacing the MkV TDi Golf with a Jetta (need the extra room), but I am now seriously considering the Octavia Wagon with the 2 TDi - and possibly 4 motion if funds permit.

The gurus at Canberra VW Centre will be able to help you with any mods you are considering. Speak to them first is my suggestion.

Less than a month wait for your new car? Maybe VW can learn from this :rolleyes:

Very keen to hear your thoughts on how easy it is to live with.

Enjoy :D

I agree speak to CVWC for upgrades

CanberravRS
05-12-2007, 02:10 PM
GermanwithaVdub well let me stop this before it goes to far.. im not interested in argueing about driving capabilities of high powered FWD cars. Ask MiniGolf about my driving capabilities. And the times my 2003 CooperS used to get regularly at wakefield park with an open diff.

And the reality is that any upgrade is a wish list only.. One at a time and see how the dynamics change! So if its getting hairy after a ecu or exhaust or whatever i wont go further.. thats just plain silly.

So as for the wish list i posted its simply that.. one at a time and see what works.
As for tyres and clutches etc, after the first lot are gone ill re-asses. No point turning a beutiful road wagon into a race car.. its just to heavy and impractical to do that.

I wasnt privy to getting the VIN number, what would i need that for prior to getting it? :???:

GermanwithaVdub
05-12-2007, 02:17 PM
GermanwithaVdub well let me stop this before it goes to far.. im not interested in argueing about driving capabilities of high powered FWD cars. Ask MiniGolf about my driving capabilities. And the times my 2003 CooperS used to get regularly at wakefield park with an open diff.

no probs :)

DanSA
05-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Totally agree mate.

If you want a race car you dont buy an Octavia wagon - too heavy, too compromised.
BUT, if you want a fast, comfortable road car, with the option to make it a bit more fun - then its a good choice.
Interesting you had a Cooper S before, I had a Clio RS 172 - lots of fun with semi slicks and koni yellows.. :)

CanberravRS
06-12-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah thats the idea.. cruisey with a bit of punch and some very unique hot looks... hehehehehe.. i love the look of it.
Some mates have said its looks old compared to the new run of recent releases, and i said.. yep.. thats right its not UGLY like alot of new models. Its got some great lines and I love the masculine tough look that many other wagons seem to have lost.

Transporter
07-12-2007, 06:55 PM

And the reality is that any upgrade is a wish list only.. One at a time and see how the dynamics change! So if its getting hairy after a ecu or exhaust or whatever i wont go further.. thats just plain silly.

So as for the wish list i posted its simply that.. one at a time and see what works.
As for tyres and clutches etc, after the first lot are gone ill re-asses. No point turning a beutiful road wagon into a race car.. its just to heavy and impractical to do that.

I wasnt privy to getting the VIN number, what would i need that for prior to getting it? :???:

By having the VIN nobody else should be able to get it only you and you can monitore where the car is during the journy to AU. :)

V8quattro
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I've driven the RS sedan for a week and about 1000km.

It is a very good car, but you will have to drive around the power upgrade if you get it. What I mean by that is even standard it sets off the TC on full noise starts on 'smooth' dry roads. In the wet you need to be even more careful. You won't be able to just mash the throttle, that's for sure.

I have driven a flash tuned GTI V with an est 200kW and it couldn't get all its power down either. Any slight road imperfection and it'd set off TC like crazy, and it'd just peg back the power.

Both these cars were on standard tyres, maybe stickier tyres would help get power down better.

At least in both cases torque steer isn't an obvious problem, although I did get a moment of strange squirming, almost tramlining when accelerating hard at 60-80km/h in the RS while driving in the wet on a Canberra arterial.

So yeah, RS is a great choice esp wagon a real sleeper (except for the colour choices I've seen!) and good value for money but it does have its limitations.

CanberravRS
09-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Lucky man.. i havent driven the Octavia enought to have that sort of experience yet.. But allas when it arrives ill scope it out for a few months then make a call on if any mods could be done?

CanberravRS
09-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh PS thanks for the info on your experience, as this is what im after is peoples knowledge and experiences in this machine.

V8quattro
09-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh PS thanks for the info on your experience, as this is what im after is peoples knowledge and experiences in this machine.

No worries. Keep us posted with how you go with it too. I'm going to look at this down the track because I think it's generally a very well balanced roomy family car, and the RS just adds a nice high-performance dimension. Not everyone who needs a family car or wagon wants a SUV, or a massive local RWD. The Octavia is a good alternative.

The only other concern - and I hope I will be proven wrong - is potential for problems with resale values if you lease.

CanberravRS
09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
hmmm well im leasing.. so im hoping the Skoda follows the VW example of resale.. heres hoping!!!

CanberravRS
12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
DELAYED!!!! Nooooooooooooooo... found out today that the ship arrived on the 28th of November and the car has been sitting in BOND since. I was hoping for delivery on the 20th but went past the dealer today after not hearing from them on confirming the delivery date.

They said its still in BOND meaning it could be a few more days, week etc.

I was hoping to have it delivered by 21st so i can take xmas leave and head north to QLD. looks like the Freight company PATRICK have priorities to Toyota and other bigger car companies to get stock off the warfs. HMMMMM not impressed!! :mad::mad::mad: n: PATRICK

GermanwithaVdub
12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
i feel for you buddy

CanberravRS
12-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks mate... the dealer is very disapointed too as hes attempting to deliver 5 cars this month that have all sold. And well they are all sitting on the same ship waiting.

hmm oh well looks like the Jeep will have a 2500klms extra on it for the trade which the dealer wont be happy about. But hey thats life and it looks like Australia's transport issues are getting bigger! :???:

GermanwithaVdub
12-12-2007, 05:47 PM
oh well it could be worse... my gt came a month and a half late, that was agony

CanberravRS
12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
dude i waited 4 months for my Cooper S.. now that was painfull.
promises after promises... the wrong car arrived.. then i waited.. im really hoping that doesnt happen. FINGERS CROSSED

CanberravRS
17-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Finally some good news.. the Car arrived at the dealers today.. :D
So it looks like ill get it before XMAS... YAY

Will submit pics once i have it

docjames
17-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Will you get it by Friday??

XXX-1.8T
17-12-2007, 03:35 PM
I went to test drive the Skoda yesterday and its a nice car but brand new the dealer quoted me $49K for xenons, satnav, and paint drive away

Not impressed with the cost so ill wait in 6 months time when i can pick one up for $35K :)

Fot the same money i can pick up a low km Audi B6/7 Quattro.

Im going to wait and see.

Another silly thing is that they have a crap load of 2007 plated cars sitting there and will not do any deals on them even though 2008 is around the corner.

Why would you pay RRP for a 1 year old car?

CanberravRS
17-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Dealer said Wednesday arvo delivery... so im stoked!!!!

Very happy to have it for my xmas holiday trip to QLD.. good little run in. ;)

Really looking forward to getting it.. i went to the dealer today and caught a glimpse of it.. hehhehehehehe sweeeeeet

junior
18-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Dealer said Wednesday arvo delivery... so im stoked!!!!

Thats awesome news, I love the anticipation of getting a new car.
Make sure to post some pics

DanSA
19-12-2007, 10:05 AM
So - today is the day! :rolleyes:

CanberravRS
20-12-2007, 07:28 AM
WELL ITS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!! Picked it up yesterday arvo... PIDDLING down with rain and well its still raining today so i havent had much of a chance to drive it. But oooooh man am i Loving it in the wet..
Amazingly stable, i feel safe, love the seats.... ooooh soo happy.

Have a long drive starting tommorow morning really early up to QLD so ill have a report for you all after the XMAS with close to 3000klms on the clock.

Everyone looks at the car ... almost gawking at it trying to work out what it is.. the Blue is quiet unique and with the silver roof rails its really sits out from the crowd.
Lennock delivered the car in imaculate condition and informed me that i am now the proud owner of the First Skoda delivered in Canberra. YAY.. lol

Anyhoo more feedback to come

VW Convert
20-12-2007, 08:47 AM
That's great, have a safe and enjoyable journey, we look forward to hearing more about this car.

Cheers

George

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 01:57 PM
congrats!

my advice: dont let anyone else into it, they'll only soil it :mad:

NicZA
25-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Definately agree, when I picked mine up I also had bad weather, didn't want to get out of the car it felt so comfy and safe :)

CanberravRS
27-12-2007, 03:35 PM
well the car has nearly 3000klms on it already. The drive up to QLD and back was a hoot in the Skoda. Overtaking was so easy. I packed enough for a weeks camping fishing and clothing, which all fit in the boot without putting the rear seats down.

Only found one problem on the whole trip. The small dial inside to glovebox to release airconditioned air into the glovebox keeping drinks cold fell of in my hand.. So thats going to have to be replaced..
Other than that i couldnt fault the car at all.. all of the functionality is amazing and the wording from Skoda saying simply clever rings true.

So very impressed.

docjames
27-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Sounding good - any pics yet??

Not sure what that says about build quality though.....

CanberravRS
27-12-2007, 07:05 PM
After its washed from the trip tommorow ill take some happy snaps.

A mate of mine has a Previous model Passat and its the same part. His broke too... and i believe the parts the same as a GTI golf.. Might just be one of those things you just have to be careful with.

As for build quality im very impressed.. but time will tell

aliasmk2
30-12-2007, 09:20 AM
well the car has nearly 3000klms on it already. The drive up to QLD and back was a hoot in the Skoda. Overtaking was so easy. I packed enough for a weeks camping fishing and clothing, which all fit in the boot without putting the rear seats down.
So very impressed.

So I bet that you would have had a few people staring at the car while you were on the Hwy, wondering what the it was

SeanyQ
30-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Only found one problem on the whole trip. The small dial inside to glovebox to release airconditioned air into the glovebox keeping drinks cold fell of in my hand.. So thats going to have to be replaced..
Other than that i couldnt fault the car at all.. all of the functionality is amazing and the wording from Skoda saying simply clever rings true.

So very impressed.

I saw one the same as yours on the Pacific Hwy around Tweed Heads heading north (made a mental note 12:30pm Qld time, last Fri). I was on my way to the Sth Coast. Could that have been u??

CanberravRS
30-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Not on the friday... we where passing through tweed heads on the morning of xmas day

gregozedobe
30-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, I've finally signed on the dotted line. Ordered an RS Wagon today from Lennock Motors (Phillip).

From the factory:
RS Wagon (6 speed manual)
Sprint Yellow (that should keep CanberravRS happy, he still has the only blue RS wagon in the ACT )
Xenon (HID) lights (low beam only, unfortunately, so I might have get a high beam HID conversion as well)

From the dealer:
Headlight protectors
Slimline weathershields
Rubber mats
Rubber boot protector

ETA May 2008 (June wouldn't surprise me, and now the long wait begins).

Finally saw a yellow RS wagon today, and I think the yellow quite suits the wagon body (looked better than the yellow hatch). If anyone is after a fully loaded RS wagon, talk to Lennocks (they were doing the pre-delivery when I saw it this arvo, but I don't think it has been sold yet).

Has anyone put seat covers on their RS yet ? Some people say you shouldn't put seat covers over leather seats, but I'm concerned that the light sections will get stained rather easily, plus I've got 3 dogs..

Transporter
30-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Congratulation on your new car.
You know you can get a tailor made seat covers. I found out that they put velcro in the side where the airbag is, so I think that any seat cover can be easily made suitable for seats with the airbag.

Cheers

DanSA
31-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Congrats mate! Now we have one of every colour apart from red on the forum..

I agree with you re yellow on the wagon , looks much better IMO than the sedan.
We have 2 dogs too, but they will be in the boot.. Leather protectant may be better?

PS: added you to the list..

junior
31-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Well, I've finally signed on the dotted line. Ordered an RS Wagon today from Lennock Motors (Phillip).

From the factory:
RS Wagon (6 speed manual)
Sprint Yellow (that should keep CanberravRS happy, he still has the only blue RS wagon in the ACT )
Xenon (HID) lights (low beam only, unfortunately, so I might have get a high beam HID conversion as well)

From the dealer:
Headlight protectors
Slimline weathershields
Rubber mats
Rubber boot protector

I thought head light protectors were illegal with HID lights. Don't all factory fitted HID's require head light washers. I know subaru certainly wont sell you head light protectors to for their cars fitted with HID's, something to do with the additional refraction caused

josh

gregozedobe
31-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I thought head light protectors were illegal with HID lights. Don't all factory fitted HID's require head light washers. I know subaru certainly wont sell you head light protectors for their cars fitted with HID's, something to do with the additional refraction caused

josh

If you don't ask I won't tell ! :rolleyes: But thanks for the friendly heads up.

I keep my windsceen and lights (and light protectors) clean all the time (even on trips I'm there washing bugs off more often than I stop for fuel). I'm told the factory octavia headlight washers are near enough to useless, and many people in the UK actually remove the fuse to stop them making the headlights worse as well as stop emptying your windscreen washer reservoir unecessarily.

I'll worry about the consequences if I get queried, and even then it will be confusing for the police as the std halogen Octavias also have projector lenses, so they look like HIDs to most people anyway. At a cost of $1,781 above standard lights when supplied as original equipment I wouldn't even like to think about the cost of replacing one if a rock smashed it :? (even after subracting the cost of the self-leveling sensor and headlight wshers).

If anyone is worried about the legality of after-market modifications being installed without appropriate engineer's certificates I think there are lots of vehicles more deserving of police attention than a bog standard Octavia with headlight protectors over std HID lights.

Let's see........... pretty well all engine performance mods (incl ECU flashes, air filters/housings, different turbochargers, fuel pumps, intercoolers, injectors, exhaust system changes), suspension changes, some tinted windows, steering wheels, tyres with incorrect diameter and/or offsets and/or speed/load ratings, aftermarket HID conversions without leveling and washers or wrong lenses, brake upgrades, headlight and/or tailight tinting, there seems to be a long list of things the fun police would probably be more interested in picking on first. j:

Just my opinion, other's mileage may vary.

DanSA
31-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Agree with you mate re police, they wont give it a second glance.

Think what others may have been pointing out tho may be regarding putting another 'lense' in front of a Xenon beam. ie what does it do re projection and other oncoming motorists?

may be nothing, but worth checking.. simple to test.

and yes, xenons are not cheap to fix. My RSC was a 900 buck fix - one side (controller plus globe) :o

gregozedobe
31-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Think what others may have been pointing out tho may be regarding putting another 'lense' in front of a Xenon beam. ie what does it do re projection and other oncoming motorists?

may be nothing, but worth checking.. simple to test.

A clean, unscratched headlight protector should have zero affect (unless it is really, really screwed up in the mould (in which case return it to your supplier). But you are right, I will check it when I get the car and the headlight protectors. Problems can happen if they are very dirty (particularly on the inside surface where some people never bother to clean) and/or scratched, as this can cause the light beam to scatter somewhat, thus causing unwanted glare, this being particularly noticeable with the extra light output of HIDs. I don't allow any of these to happen on my cars, as I like to see at night.

I expect I will cause much less glare than the gazillion morons who insist on driving with their poorly aimed and/or badly designed fog lights switched on on perfectly clear nights (late model dunnydores seem to be particularly bad for this). The police obviously can't be bothered enforcing the law on this one, as it is so prevalent (I've noticed it in NSW, ACT, Vic and SA). I would have thought it provides a perfect excuse to pull people over, and they could also check rego, licence roadworthiness, RBT etc while they are at it.

If I'm feeling particularly grumpy I turn my rear foglight on as the "dazzler" approaches from the rear, just to show them they aren't the only *****head on the road that night :mad:
Trouble is some drivers are so thick they probably think I have just left my foot on the brake pedal and like them I'm too lazy to move it j:

GRAZI
15-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Got a white wagon with mats on road for 40k,am in Rural Aus and have never seen another Skod..
Am having it remapped by Ottenger on Gold Coast,am waiting for Scout later in year>

gregozedobe
15-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Got a white wagon with mats on road for 40k,am in Rural Aus and have never seen another Skod..
Am having it remapped by Ottenger on Gold Coast,am waiting for Scout later in year>

Skodas are pretty thin on the ground wherever you live at the moment, but hopefully more people will wake up to what a good car they are over time. Whereabouts are you ?

Congratulations on your new Skoda, and you are already lining another one up - you must really like them :)

mrx
16-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Skodas are pretty thin on the ground wherever you live at the moment, but hopefully more people will wake up to what a good car they are over time. Whereabouts are you ?

Congratulations on your new Skoda, and you are already lining another one up - you must really like them :)

I saw a red Octavia RS wagon driving around the streets of Perth yesterday. First Skoda of any description (post 1980) that I've seen driving around. Looked nice on the road, but the Octavia badge on the back is huge! I think if I bought one I'd be debadging it - that'd really keep the onlookers guessing!

GRAZI
17-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Am near Byron Bay and the the car is a pleasure to drive,did a lot of research and really wanted a Scout,but not in Oz till late in year and was offered this 2litre Tdi 4x4 wagon only 4th one in Oz Im told.In fact the subtle good looks of this wagon grow on me daily and everyone who has talked to me,says yea its a fine looking wagon .But its the diesel engine I enjoy and 6sp manual.