PDA

View Full Version : Any one know.... LED RINGS

try000
31-05-2015, 12:03 PM
hello,

does anyone in Australia distribute these?

VW Passat B6 3C2 3C5 Extra Park AND Turn Tail Lights LED Rings Skyline Style | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Passat-B6-3C2-3C5-Extra-Park-and-Turn-Tail-Lights-LED-rings-Skyline-style-/181750908634?hash=item2a5132c6da)

they look pretty simple. but cant be bothered making them

cheers

snerlo
01-06-2015, 02:33 AM
You wont get anyone in Aus directly distributing these mate but apparently there is someone that can do the mod including installation for around the $250 mark. I have the ebay listing you have and I am considering having a go myself to save some coin but I haven't decided just yet. Jakey has had his done and coded the outside lights to turn off the inner part of the light.

Red Emperor
09-06-2015, 01:32 PM
So what is involved with the above ebay option and who in the Brissie area does the VCDS re coding or is this something that can be done at home.

snerlo
09-06-2015, 03:01 PM
The making of them can be done at home. I am really close to having a crack at making them. To get them working it is as simple as splicing them in to the taillight wiring and your all good. You will need VCDS if you want to turn the middle part of the outer LED taillight off which will make them look like four doughnuts, ie. skyline look. Jakey has done his but he had buckets do the LED install in his lights which he sent to him and ran his car around for a few weeks with cardboard covering up the holes where the lights were supposed to be in his tailgate on his wagon. Looks great though.

Red Emperor
09-06-2015, 10:52 PM
So how are the LEDs attached/secured to the back of the lense? Does any one have a picture of how the light looks from behind. I reckon I would have a crack at putting them in. I found the other post relating to the install and see the splicing of the wiring into number plate light wiring seems like a simple affair. The VCDS stuff I have no idea on though, is there someone in Brissie that can help out with that or an explanation on how to perform that operation. It does look good though.

snerlo
09-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Not exactly sure without doing the thing myself but I'm sure there would be a way around it. There are people around in brissie with vcds skills mate. Just a matter of finding them.

Red Emperor
10-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Well then I think I will grab a kit and have a go then. The link at the top is the kit to go for then?

snerlo
11-06-2015, 05:12 AM
That sounds fine to me. That'd be what I would be going for.

Jakeys
23-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Just saw this thread.

The making of them can be done at home. I am really close to having a crack at making them. To get them working it is as simple as splicing them in to the taillight wiring and your all good. You will need VCDS if you want to turn the middle part of the outer LED taillight off which will make them look like four doughnuts, ie. skyline look. Jakey has done his but he had buckets do the LED install in his lights which he sent to him and ran his car around for a few weeks with cardboard covering up the holes where the lights were supposed to be in his tailgate on his wagon. Looks great though.

Correct. Buckets did an amazing job. Mine being a wagon I spliced into the license plate light wiring instead, all LED now instead of filament so no issues with power draw on the wiring. Happy to provide any advice on this, cracking open the lights and making them up is beyond my expertise but VCDS and actual install is totally trivial. The end result is MUCH MUCH better than stock imo although I think the biggest thing is just removing the ugly centre light on parkers and leaving that just for brakes. I hate seeing the back of stock Passats now. I feel the way I have mine done is how VW probably would have done them if not for the fact they didn't want to appear too much like a Skyline or just for budget reasons. You can see the blanking plates for where the inner ring LEDs were going to be, so at one time, VW did plan to do this from factory.

kamold
23-06-2015, 02:36 PM
My kit is on order. Could take a while to arrive from Mother Russia, if at all...

Agree that its a much better look. Mine are just soft modded for now.

Jakeys
23-06-2015, 02:52 PM
My kit is on order. Could take a while to arrive from Mother Russia, if at all...

Agree that its a much better look. Mine are just soft modded for now.

Interesting. Keep us posted! I think soft modding is 75% of the look, the matching inner lights just completes it.

kamold
23-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Ah inner tails....you complete me...

snerlo
23-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Good stuff mate. Will see how you go prior to me purchasing. If there is too many F words being floated around when you do it, i might flick the job to buckets! Hehe! Let us know when they arrive too. Be good to know how long it takes. So what was the final purchase price in aussie dollars?

kamold
23-06-2015, 08:50 PM
I made a best offer which was accepted for $85US.
Am going to borrow a drill press otherwise I think it should be pretty straight forward. If I f up will need to buy a new set of tails but am hoping it works out ok.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Passat R36
23-06-2015, 11:18 PM
How are you planning to open the lights? Bake in oven?

snerlo
24-06-2015, 11:21 AM
I think baking in the oven is the only way to do it but I would love to know another way if there was any!! Thanks for letting me know the price mate. Appreciate it.

Jakeys
24-06-2015, 11:37 AM
I think baking in the oven is the only way to do it but I would love to know another way if there was any!! Thanks for letting me know the price mate. Appreciate it.

I believe they can also be "snapped" open. Not sure of the merits of that but I have seen it done on a Youtube vid. Dunno how Buckets did it. The sealant he used to put them back together is quite thickly applied but they still sit flush with the vehicle.

kamold
24-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Normally just a heat gun (wife's hair dryer) does the job. That's what I use with phones and tablets. Also to open up the led turn/drls when one had water in it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

kamold
13-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Mine finally arrived! (well they arrived a month ago and post office neglected to inform me, so I got the final warning notice...)
Going to try and get them installed today :)

kamold
13-08-2015, 03:26 PM
So I got the lights open Ok with the hair dryer.
Drilled out the LED holes in the housings and glued them all back together.
Dismantled the boot and spliced in the red lights to the license plate lights.
I didn't bother with wiring up the turn signals at this point as it will require running cables through the boot rubbers to the outer lights etc.
Tested the lights with a 9v battery and they light up fine.

Assembled everything and....nothing.

Checked all my connections, checked again with the 9v battery - still work fine - but they don't light up with the license plates lights.
I'm stumped.
Anyone have any ideas?

snerlo
13-08-2015, 04:05 PM
so I presume that your license plate lights are still lighting up then? Is there any chance that the wires are around the wrong way? Sorry, had to ask. So was opening the lights up a major PITA? Is a drill press really necessary or can a normal drill do the trick?
BTW, got one of my DRL's open at the moment as she is stuffed from having water in it. Trying to work out if I can replace the LED's in it as I have had one response back from another seller on aliexpress who is willing to sell me just one light but at $75USD which is about $105AUD. Bit rich I think. Trying to work out if there are better ways of doing the LED's because it is really quite pathetic in there when you have a good look. Considering COB LED's but just stewing on what to do. I'm going to go to jaycar first to see if they have the similar strips of LED's. I've spent hours on the computer trying to find similar strip LED's but I am not confident on buying any of them as you generally have to buy 5m worth!!!

kamold
13-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah license plate LEDs still light up. Tried putting the old filament globes in there in case there was some interference from the load resistors but no dice.
Also checked polarity.
Have to pull up stumps for now and maybe have a look on the weekend.
Annoyed.

Anyway opening up the housings wasn't too bad. Just lots of heat and lever them apart with a screwdriver.

I used a drill press, would recommend it.

kamold
13-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Duuuhhhhh...
It was the polarity.
The license plates aren't fussy and I was rushing to get it done to go and pick up the kids.

kamold
13-08-2015, 05:34 PM

Will get a better pic later with a proper camera

snerlo
13-08-2015, 09:34 PM
So do they match the outside in terms of brightness and colour? Looks good mate.

kamold
14-08-2015, 05:49 AM
Colour is exact. As I'm connected to license plate lights at the moment I've had to bump the brightness of the outers slightly to match.
When I get around to wiring properly to the outer they will be exact at correct brightness for tails (they are a little too bright now)

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Jakeys
14-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Colour is exact. As I'm connected to license plate lights at the moment I've had to bump the brightness of the outers slightly to match.
When I get around to wiring properly to the outer they will be exact at correct brightness for tails (they are a little too bright now)

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

When you say bump the brightness of the outers, just to confirm, you're doing this via software in VCDS yeah? Just to make sure you (Or anyone else reading this) are aware, the brightness of the parkers on the outside by default is set at 15% (Of full ie brake brightness) and can be adjusted from that figure.

With Buckets' ones, I have permanently wired mine to the license plate wiring. Whatever Buckets used are 100% accurate to the outer lights so there has been no need for me to do the complicated job of running out to the outers. This also provides the benefit of the courtesy lighting still only lighting the outer edge light, which is how it should be in my opinion. If possible I would actually consider NOT wiring to the outers. I believe you get a better setup this way.

kamold
14-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Yes, I adjusted with VCDS.
If you have resistors inline with the rings, you can adjust the brightness accordingly to match the default setting of the outers.
However this isn't really the way they were meant to be used.
They are meant to be connected to the outer tail lights so that
a. you can use the yellow indicator rings which are part of the setup and
b. the brightness of the inners is adjusted in line with the outers eg when braking they light up to 100% brightness, then return to dimmed as tails.

Jakeys
14-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes, I adjusted with VCDS.
If you have resistors inline with the rings, you can adjust the brightness accordingly to match the default setting of the outers.
However this isn't really the way they were meant to be used.
They are meant to be connected to the outer tail lights so that
a. you can use the yellow indicator rings which are part of the setup and
b. the brightness of the inners is adjusted in line with the outers eg when braking they light up to 100% brightness, then return to dimmed as tails.

Oh, okay. That's awesome then. I think fundamentally we have different ideas for how these lights should look and be utilised. Which is not to say you're wrong, what you're saying is 100% valid, just that I think they should be just dedicated parkers and the outers do the braking (As they have the brake centre pieces) and indicating and courtesy lighting. Just different interpretations of the design.

kamold
14-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Yeah, each to their own :)

I'm already quite happy with the look as is, I've only needed to bump up the brightness on the outers to 30% to match the inners, so its still very obvious when the outers are at full brightness under brakes (along with the middle of the outers lighting up, and the top centre brake light)

I want to get the full functionality with the indicators and brightness adjust. Who knows, I may end up preferring the current look and revert to it!

Passat R36
14-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Wire to the outer taillights won't be a fun exercise right?

kamold
14-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Yeah, its going to be a bit of a pain having to run wires through the boot rubber grommets.
But otherwise just a bit time consuming getting it behind trim etc to the outers where I'll tap in to the wires before the connectors.
Will probably take me a good few hours I would think.

Jakeys
14-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Yeah, each to their own :)

I'm already quite happy with the look as is, I've only needed to bump up the brightness on the outers to 30% to match the inners, so its still very obvious when the outers are at full brightness under brakes (along with the middle of the outers lighting up, and the top centre brake light)

I want to get the full functionality with the indicators and brightness adjust. Who knows, I may end up preferring the current look and revert to it!

It looks like I've gone Golf R Mk. VI style (Outer edges indicate and brake only) and you've gone Golf R Mk. VII style with inner indicators as well. So yeah both with an OEM precedent too.

Jakeys
15-08-2015, 01:15 AM
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11896199_10207646774431185_2281095758334050608_n.j pg?oh=d80f614cd0ab8bc518dfc97b4c90a58f&oe=567E3B18

Using the single outer capability to full effect tonight!