PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Battery advice

Bluerex
28-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey team,
I understand that an Aux battery fitted under the passenger seat is a factory option. Has anyone tried retro fitting one themselves (maybe using the existing wiring?)
Alternately, has anyone a diagram for the mass of plugs and sockets under the front seats?

C

95vr6
28-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a T5 myself, no wiring large enough to supply the current required to hookup aux battery. it is much easier to run 4awg cable from battery to under seat thorugh original gromet via a smart soleinoid.

Transporter
29-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I have a T5 myself, no wiring large enough to supply the current required to hookup aux battery. it is much easier to run 4awg cable from battery to under seat thorugh original gromet via a smart soleinoid.

Hi 95vr6,
I bought smart start solenoid 6 month ago for my T5, but didn't fit it yet. I'm worried that it may have some impact on electrical system of the van. How long do you have yours fitted and did you have any electrical or any problems with the van after installation and do you use the same type battery (lead acid, sealed lead acid or calcium content type)?
Cheers,
MRL T5

gregozedobe
29-11-2007, 08:14 PM
...... and do you use the same type battery (lead acid, sealed lead acid or calcium content type)?

I wimped out and didn't connect my aux battery to my T5s electrical system at all. It is a large (210 a/hr) AGM (sealed) battery that can run my fridge for 3-4 days without needing a charge. I charge it from my 240v charger.

I would only put a sealed battery into the interior of any van, unless you are going to all the trouble of installing a sealed compartment that is vented to the exterior. Fumes from a charging/discharging unsealed lead acid battery are noxious, corrosive, flammable and dangerous (I think our ADRs say something similar). I assume the one VW put under the passenger seat is sealed type.

Note that AGM Batteries don't like to be overcharged, especially in warmer temps, so they require more sophisticated chargers, and they are significantly dearer than conventional lead acid batteries of the same capacity.

My advice is to do your homework (lots of useful info on the 'net) and only accept advice from someone who really does know their stuff (lots of people put on a good act, but end up selling you something that won't deliver the goods over the long run). In particular some batteries are sold as "deep cycle" when they are not.

Check with the detailed specs directly from the manufacturer to see what their real performance and lifespan is. The deeper you discharge any lead acid battery the fewer cycles you will get, but some batteries cope better than others (these are usually heavier and more expensive).

To save capacity (and $$$) it is worth designing your "house" 12v electrical system to use as little elecricity as possible (efficient compressor fridge, LEDs/flouros for lights etc, absolutely nothing that produces heat such as toasters, microwaves, jugs etc).

If you are looking at solar panels check carefully the actual delivered current at useable voltages (the wattages they advertise are often significantly greater than the current you can actually use).

Hope that helps.

95vr6
29-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi 95vr6,
I bought smart start solenoid 6 month ago for my T5, but didn't fit it yet. I'm worried that it may have some impact on electrical system of the van. How long do you have yours fitted and did you have any electrical or any problems with the van after installation and do you use the same type battery (lead acid, sealed lead acid or calcium content type)?
Cheers,
MRL T5

Hi MRL T5,
I have had the aux battery setup in my T5 coming upto 3 years in december. I use a deep cycle wet cell Trojan 130ah mounted in an air tight box vented via a 12mm air hose to the outside of the van through the grommet under passenger seat where the my 1/0 awg cable comes in. No issues with alternater or other body control modules. Still using original battery in engine bay. I use a smart battery controller so it lets the aux battery come on line when voltage goes to 13.8 volts.
Load on aux battery is as follows
40lt Engel fridge
300w invertor
2 12v cordless drill battery chargers
4 11w flouro lights
12v laptop adapter

Jmac
29-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Did u fit this up yourself mate? Im thinking of setting up a mobile daignostics and AC repair business and would love to have some stuff running of an Aux.
Do you have some diagrams etc??
Cheers in advance mate

95vr6
29-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Did u fit this up yourself mate? Im thinking of setting up a mobile daignostics and AC repair business and would love to have some stuff running of an Aux.
Do you have some diagrams etc??
Cheers in advance mate

I have installed all of the above myself, will be coming out in 01/08 when new T5 arrives. What diagrams in specific do you need?
Are you on Sydney, might be able to show you how to put it all together/ parts suppliers

Jmac
30-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Mate thanks for that i live up in brisbane. I would be keen to see how you fitted it up
Cheers
T5 great bus

Bluerex
30-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I have a 650CCA Pulse battery - a cheap copy of the odyssey - completely sealed!!
Like this one , only a little bigger. (check here for the details (http://www.biziworks.com.au/biziworks/BiziGen?ownerID=AEROSHOP&docID=42))
http://www.biziworks.com.au/aeroshop/graphics/docimages/pulse-battery.jpg

Should fit under passenger seat a treat, just need the switch-gear and a few cables.....

C

95vr6
30-11-2007, 05:21 PM
I have a 650CCA Pulse battery - a cheap copy of the odyssey - completely sealed!!
Like this one , only a little bigger. (check here for the details (http://www.biziworks.com.au/biziworks/BiziGen?ownerID=AEROSHOP&docID=42))
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Should fit under passenger seat a treat, just need the switch-gear and a few cables.....

C

Are you using that battery for extra starting power or aux battery for fridge etc?

Transporter
30-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi MRL T5,
I have had the aux battery setup in my T5 coming upto 3 years in december. I use a deep cycle wet cell Trojan 130ah mounted in an air tight box vented via a 12mm air hose to the outside of the van through the grommet under passenger seat where the my 1/0 awg cable comes in. No issues with alternater or other body control modules. Still using original battery in engine bay. I use a smart battery controller so it lets the aux battery come on line when voltage goes to 13.8 volts.
Load on aux battery is as follows
40lt Engel fridge
300w invertor
2 12v cordless drill battery chargers
4 11w flouro lights
12v laptop adapter

I bought Optima Yellow top battery 12 months ago. It is deep cycle and starting battery and since I'm not convinced that it is 100% compatible with T5 starting battery I didn't wired it up. I'm using Red Arc Smart Battery Charger for charging it, once a week. Battery powers only 12V air compressor and inverter when using laptop and printer.
I like the idea of a realy big battery but big battery means more weight and my T5 can carry 850kg of load, so I had to downsize many things and reduce amount of tools in the van.
Does anybody know if VW is using 2 the same battery types in the dual battery set ups in a new T5?

95vr6
01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I bought Optima Yellow top battery 12 months ago. It is deep cycle and starting battery and since I'm not convinced that it is 100% compatible with T5 starting battery I didn't wired it up. I'm using Red Arc Smart Battery Charger for charging it, once a week. Battery powers only 12V air compressor and inverter when using laptop and printer.
I like the idea of a realy big battery but big battery means more weight and my T5 can carry 850kg of load, so I had to downsize many things and reduce amount of tools in the van.
Does anybody know if VW is using 2 the same battery types in the dual battery set ups in a new T5?

Hi MRL T5, the optima will charge ok in your T5, all you need is a smart type relay to control charge. I have used them many years ago but are limited in Ah's, i think they are only 65ah. The optional second battery from factory is a sealed AGM type at 75Ah at $385. I was going to order this for my new T5 but the capacity is to small compared to my Trojan 130Ah at the moment.

Bluerex
01-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Are you using that battery for extra starting power or aux battery for fridge etc?
I will cable (big stuff) for starting assistance, but it is mainly intended for fridge, work-lights, inverter etc.

C

95vr6
01-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I will cable (big stuff) for starting assistance, but it is mainly intended for fridge, work-lights, inverter etc.

C

The battery you are looking is not a deep cycle battery, you may have problems with it discharging quite radpidly. What is the Ah rating?

Bluerex
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM
The Pulse is a copy of the Odyssey PC925 (http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.asp?params=batteries/SLA/1/Enersys/Hawker%20Odyssey%20PC925/0765-2024/SL107/37L107S5). See here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PULSE-BATTERY-PHB650-12V-RACE-RALLY-STREET_W0QQitemZ290125671663QQihZ019QQcategoryZ501 38QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem) for more info.

Just how good a copy? Time will tell:D but the size and fully sealed nature make it worth investigating. And while the 26AH is not a patch on the Trojan (at 130!!), this will still run my fridge happily between main engine (charging) runs.

C

Shifter
16-10-2009, 04:25 PM
I would like to re open this old post with a question.

I have just taken deliery of a T5 dual cab tray - a slide on camper fits on the tray. There are pics elsewhere on this site.

My question is: There is a second battery under the front pax seat. I can see it, it has a rubberised cover over it and it looks as if it's sealed type. I have tried to move the seat right forward and right aft to get access to it, to no avail. Do I have to completly remove the front pax seat to gain access to it?? There is also a heavy array of electrical plugs and wires in way of the front of the seat. Not a clue what they all do??

I think it doubles up with the camper battery, but until I can get access, to do some checks I am unsure. If it is for the camper then it would be in parrallel with the camper battery - makes sence.

Thanks in anticipation.

Transporter
16-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, that's right you have to remove the seat to get access to the second battery. If you have third battery connected to second battery in parallel, make sure you don't overload the alternator.

Shifter
16-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the reply - bugger nothing is easy. They should put it under the rear bench seat, would make it much esier to get at. I'll unbolt the seat and take a look. There is a solar panel which looks after the house battery (Camper) and I guess if they are in parallel they will both benefit, whilst connected.

Any idea what the alternator rating is??

DutchAussie
17-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Have a look at my Websites:

http://vw-caddy.synthasite.com/modifications.php

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~avdw

It shows you how I fitted my battery.

Shifter
17-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks DA - great site, very well put together.

Transporter
17-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I know that there is "RedArc SBI 12" or other options, but I'd like to wire it up as it is originally, if possible.

Originally it goes like that:
The "J519 power controller" switches the J7 relay to connect the main and leisure batteries together. This is switched off when the engine is cranking or the ignition is switched off, the relay will only connect the two batteries for charging when motor is running and alternator is supplying charging current.

SO, IMO... the difference between VW relay setup and "RedArc SBI 12" is that ECM knows about the second battery via J519 power controller and when you use RedArc or similar ECM doesn't know about the second battery.

I just wander, if anybody has wiring diagram (section) for factory dual battery setup on T5?

Or how anybody else wired up second battery for charging from the engine's alternator?
All I can find on net is the wiring for the 87 Vanagon. This one:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/VW_Aux_Battery_87engine-1.jpg

Shortbus
23-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but has anyone got any new info on hooking up a second battery? Looks like it will fit under my passenger seat no worries, just wondering if people have advice on the best way to wire it so it doesn't hurt the alternator or anything else electrical. So, suggestions on smart chargers, best way to wire up from alternator/fuse box, possibility of using it as backup starting battery etc greatly appreciated. I want to get an inverter too, so advice on that more than welcome too! :)

Transporter
23-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Check up the "How to do this and that" stickie.
The best way to connect your second battery is using 12V to 12V charger. I would go with the RED ARC or CTEK. Both are multistage charger better suited for charging sealed, deep cycle, GEL or AGM batteries.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f136/how-do-32769-2.html#post619575

Shortbus
23-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks Transporter, I had a vague recolection I had seen it mentioned somewhere, and even checked that thread, but somehow missed the second page.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Actually, still a few questions if anyone has added an aux battery? Looks like the average 120ah battery is too long to fit under the seat. Thinking of maybe going two 80ah batts, maybe one in each compartment under the passenger seat. Anyone done similar or found a particular battery that fits good?

Transporter
24-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Actually, still a few questions if anyone has added an aux battery? Looks like the average 120ah battery is too long to fit under the seat. Thinking of maybe going two 80ah batts, maybe one in each compartment under the passenger seat. Anyone done similar or found a particular battery that fits good?

I had to modify the under the seat battery plate to fit taller battery and bolt it from the top as you can see in that DIY. Now when I'm dealing with the Century/GS/Yuasa Batteries, I can see in their range that they have 65AH deep cycle GEL battery that is 183mm tall 350mm long and 167mm wide and it should fit in there without cutting and re-welding that plate, but you still need to clamp it down from the top; the p/n is 142104. Or you could go for 2x 40AH batteries p/n 142102 198mm long 166mm wide and 171mm tall. All measurments are to the top terminal.

Skoda VW
24-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I installed a small SLA battery (26AH) under the passenger seat.

Used a smart relay for charging and a LVD (Low Volt Disconnect) relay to the loads. That way aux battery will disconnect before it is discharged to far. Made my own battery bracket and power distribution box for under seat. As only small battery ran 8B&S (100amp rated at 60% duty cycle for 5mins) cable from main to aux.

Only use aux battery to provide power to mid/rear cig sockets, trailer socket (ign switched 12V) and roof DVD.

Get about 4 hours of power to my 14 litre Waeco cooler before LVD kicks in. I only wanted something that was good for a couple of hours.

BAINTECH Low Voltage Cut Out 40Amp (http://www.baintech.com.au/battery-protectors/baintech-low-voltage-cut-out-40amp)
Low Voltage Sensitive Relay - 140Amp, 12V | Matson (http://www.matson.com.au/sales/Remote_Battery_Charging/Voltage_Relays/180/Low_Voltage_Sensitive_Relay_140Amp_12V/)

surf70
25-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Hi,

I've fitted an auxiliary battery system under the passenger 2 bench seat in the front. It's only a small system I use camping on surf trips to provide light, cooking facilities and I can't go anywhere without the mozzie zapper. I don't really need a fridge.
I ran a 6AWG cable from the battery to the under seat compartment. I have a solenoid, AGM deep cell battery (a small one 33Ah) and a 2000W 8zed inverter. The inverter has a USB port to charge via USB as well. During the week I use it to charge my laptop and other electronic instruments on the run for work. As it's only a small system, I start the van to use a 2000W electric frypan.
I'll post some photos up soon.
It doesn't affect the electrical system of the van at all. It is useful and very effective, allows me to camp in semi remote areas of the coastline and saves getting a powered campsite!
I soon plan to wire it up to plug in solar panels for charging while i've set up camp.
Go for it and good luck.

Shortbus
25-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Spoke to a bloke at the 12v shop. As I want to run an engel, he reckons ~100AH should be good for 2 or so days. The river 105 is 31cm long, and if I make a holder that sits up off the floor, and put it on its side, should fit under the seat ok. Then I can put the charger and maybe inverter underneath the bracket. Will post up some pics when I eventually get it all done.

surf70
29-11-2011, 06:33 PM
yeah cool, deep cell AGM batteries can go on their side.

tapsy
01-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I replaced my original Varta battery with a Varta 80Ah DEEP CYCLE for $330 from Battery World it bolted in original spot and it is slightly smaller than the original
I will see how it performs compared to the original.

Shortbus
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Got my new battery today, looks like it will fit in the passengers seat compartment without too many problems. However whilst trawling the web for ideas, saw mentioned someone had one fitted under the drivers seat. This would be better as then I would still have the storage compartment space to use. Just have to wait for the rain to stop here so I can rip out the drivers seat and see if it will fit.