PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy 2004 touareg and questions about satnav

ohhbugger
23-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Hi All,

I am looking through carsales trying to find the best optioned touareg for my money. I'm looking around 2003-2008 with about 20K max to spend.
Due to this i have to ask a few questions i hope you all might be able to help me out, i apologize if this has already been asked.

I notice that the satnav units also seem to come with a different dash cluster with a multi colour display as opposed to the stock radio units that only come with the red dash display which i hate the look of. So my question is if i purchase a car with the standard radio and red display can i retrofit the satnav and and the multicolour display to the car ? i thought i read somewhere that there might be differences in the canbus but i'm not sure. i'm hoping it's just plug and play and a little play on VAGCOM and we are good to go.
Will the newer RNS-510 units work on these model cars ?
What are peoples real world figures with fuel economy on the 3.2L v6 and the petrol v8 ?
Is the 5cyl diesel motor reliable and powerful enough for towing ?
Did the base model come available with the option for air suspension or was it only available on the v8 and v10 models ?

I am seriously considering adding one of these as a second vw to our family but i am trying to research as much as i can on them before i buy one.

Thank you.

Flipper Dog
23-05-2015, 04:44 PM
It is possible to swap out the red MFD with a colour one, however finding one would be the problem. Removal of the instrument cluster is required and some coding changes.
RNS-510 will fit with an updated canbus connector.
Diesel is your friend with Touaregs, the petrol ones like to support multinational oil companies.
You will find the 5 cylinder more than capable to tow as with the patrol ones.
The early model Touaregs only had air suspension for the V8 and V10 TDI models. If you stretch out to the 2006 - 2007 model years you can pick up a V6 TDI with air suspension.
Bang for buck would be a stock R5 TDI for towing duties, a canbus adaptor and RNS-510 fitted. The standard steel suspension works well for towing and comfort.
If you can find a loaded V10 TDI than would be a nice buy but could end up costing you some serious dollars in repairs over time.
I would suggest look out for a facelift (T2) V6 TDI 2007 model with air suspension for the extra coin.

Umai Naa!!
23-05-2015, 06:51 PM
V6 TDI without air suspension is the go.

ohhbugger
23-05-2015, 09:56 PM
i have thought of maybe looking more at the diesels also if the budget allows, i see some of the v6 TDI's for sale with a bit over 200'000kms on the clock, is much expected to go wrong with these engines when they are high mileage ?

also the R5 turbo diesel are they a good motor ? power and torque wise they seem to be a close second to the v6 TDI, are they a reliable motor and is there anything to look out for on them ?

Umai Naa!!
23-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Definitely get the V6 TDI over the R5.

Much more reliable, and drive a whole lot nicer too.

I'd be trying to get one with as little mileage as possible, and an immaculate service history.

Only common thing that seems to go wrong is the tailshaft, which is about $2,000 from VW. You can get them rebuilt, but they're always hit-and-miss.

Hillbilly
24-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Is this the model that uses the very expensive oil or is that the V10

Umai Naa!!
24-05-2015, 10:01 AM
R5s and V10s older than mid-'06 use the 506.1 oil, which is about $150 for 5L. Given the R5 takes about 7.5L, and the V10 about 12, that's a pretty expensive oil change.

V10Touareg
23-07-2016, 04:31 PM
R5s and V10s older than mid-'06 use the 506.1 oil, which is about $150 for 5L. Given the R5 takes about 7.5L, and the V10 about 12, that's a pretty expensive oil change.
506.1 oil is VW spec, dealer sold, running on extended service intervals (30,000 - 50,000km / 24 months).
The specification was determined to avoid damaging the diesel pump in PD engines at those intervals.
Fuchs, Motul and Castrol make oils to suit PD engines for less than half the price quoted.
All oilers benefit from an oil change 10,000 Km/6 months and a lower spec oil will suffice.
Depending on climate, like where I live at 700m, 6 month oil changes are highly desirable for the minus 10 to 45C temp spread.