PDA

View Full Version : Oil Service question

IN2VWS
26-04-2015, 07:41 PM
A bit of history first......

My T5 has always been serviced at the dealership where it was purchased. Castrol oil was always used, as this is what VW recommended.
Dealership was sold last year. The group that now owns it also has the local Holden, Nissan and Suzuki dealerships.
Since then, they are now using Shell oil for the services.

At your dealership, what is oil is your dealer using?

If VGA is still recommending Castrol oil for VW's, but the dealer uses Shell, What happens if there is a warranty problem that could have been caused by using an inferior oil? Will VGA honor the warranty?

Umai Naa!!
26-04-2015, 08:09 PM
There is a VAG-approved Shell oil that is 504/507-spec.

A lot of multi-franchise dealerships don't buy it in bulk, instead it's ordered by the box through VW via Castrol.

Tig-uan
27-04-2015, 03:40 PM
The approved oils, VW507-spec, fall into two groups: "Long Life" or regular.

I recall Shell 5w-30 Ultra Extra being not "long life". It is still approved by VW though, as stated at the back complies with VW507, and is likely what your dealer is using.

I understand "long life" feature is a must-have when using variable service interval. For static service interval (e.g. every year or 15,000kms), "long life" is not a requirement and thus officially Shell qualifies.

As for "long life" ones, I ever came across two: (1). Castrol 5w-30 Long Life VW507 and (2) VW own branded 5w-30 Long Life.
My VW dealer here (north canberra) commented that they used to use VW own branded Long Life, but now swithed to Castrol 5w-30 VW507 Long Life, as the former seemed too thin to them (even though both state the same viscosity). Also, they have and display both (1.) and (2.) in Parts, so your dealer should theoretically have access to them too.

Lucas_R
27-04-2015, 04:59 PM
The Liqui Moly 4200 TopTec 5w-30 is Longlife if you must have a Longlife oil - although, Australian cars do not quality for the Longlife servicing regime anyway, so its not necessary. As long as the oil is approved for VW 504/507 spec then its fine to use. You can get the LiquiMoly from Autobarn Stores: LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - Top Tec 4200 5W-30 (http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3706.html?OpenDocument&land=GB)

Another good oil is Penrite Enviro+ 5w-30 which you can find at Supercheap/Repco stores. Supercheap currenty has it on special for a good price. I did an oil change on my MK6 GTI last week and used the Penrite....in fact i might go buy another 5L of oil seeing its on special: Penrite Enviro+ Engine Oil - 5W-30, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Penrite-Enviro-Engine-Oil-5W-30-5-Litre.aspx?pid=283980#Recommendations)

Diesel_vert
27-04-2015, 05:54 PM
The approved oils, VW507-spec, fall into two groups: "Long Life" or regular.

That is not correct.

Although the word "LongLife" may denote a product's anticipated service usage, it does not constitute an actual lubricant specification.

Any product approved to VW lubricant specification "504.00/507.00" may essentially be considered a "LongLife" oil from a consumer's point of view. It is neither required nor compulsory for an approved 504.00/507.00 product to display the word "LongLife" on the label or packaging.

The use of any product approved to VW lubricant specification 504.00/507.00 (as required) will fulfill Volkswagen's factory service requirements.

Note that the use of 504.00/507.00 lubricants does not alter the 15 000 km or 12 month oil change interval for Australian delivered vehicles.

lynnos
27-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Hello, Just bought 3 x 5L Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 oils today at a saving of $60 from Supercheap. That should do the next 2 changes. If you look on Penrite's website they have a direct letter of approval from VW for this oil, although it is strange that the letter has a sunset clause stating the approval is only till Dec'15. Perhaps these certifications are refreshed at certain intervals.

Tig-uan
28-04-2015, 09:41 AM
That is not correct.

Although the word "LongLife" may denote a product's anticipated service usage, it does not constitute an actual lubricant specification.

Note that the use of 504.00/507.00 lubricants does not alter the 15 000 km or 12 month oil change interval for Australian delivered vehicles.

It actually is correct that oils can be split into two groups, Long Life or Not: in the VW Service Book, when they stamp your service, there is a tickbox that says: "[ ] Long Life Oil". Depending on whteher the dealer used Long Life oil or not, they tick in the box along with the service stamp.

If there was no difference between Long Life Oil , or not, then there would not be a tickbox like that, would there.

Umai Naa!!
28-04-2015, 09:47 AM
That's because the book is not specific to the Australian market.

We don't have long life servicing here, but our vehicles are spec'd with long life oil, which is reflected in the warranty, emissions gear, and so on.

That's how its been since the early '00s.

Silver Caravelle
28-04-2015, 10:40 AM
My last oil change last year from the VW commercial dealer (in Melbourne) indicates Shell brand oil (to VW 507.00 spec) and Shell sticker on the windscreen.

Diesel_vert
28-04-2015, 11:19 AM
It actually is correct that oils can be split into two groups, Long Life or Not: in the VW Service Book, when they stamp your service, there is a tickbox that says: "[ ] Long Life Oil". Depending on whteher the dealer used Long Life oil or not, they tick in the box along with the service stamp.

If there was no difference between Long Life Oil , or not, then there would not be a tickbox like that, would there.

There is indeed a difference, but it is not what you originally thought.

Products that conform to VW oil specification "503.00/506.00/506.01" or "504.00/507.00" are considered to be "LongLife" oils. If the workshop used one of these two products, they would tick "yes" for "LongLife engine oil used" in the service book.

Products that conform to VW oil specification "501.01/505.00" or "502.00/505.00" or "502.00/505.00/505.01" are not considered to be "LongLife" oils. If the workshop used one of these three products, they would tick "no" for "LongLife engine oil used" in the service book.

That's all there is to it.