PDA

View Full Version : R36 smelly aircon?

dannyjak
11-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Hi guys

Seem to have a smelly air con issue. Ran a can of the Autoglym air con sanitiser through and also changed the pollen filter, still somewhat of a smell

Bought a can that has a long flexible tube that can be sprayed to disinfect the stuff that may be built up on the air con evaporator. Any ideas how i can get to this? Instructions say to chase the tube through and spray, some say just spray it down the centre vents. Not sure what I should be doing.

Thanks

Wartai
11-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Theres an old topic like this
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/smelly-air-con-59952.html
Hope it helps

Jozzy
13-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Replace the filter, pretty inexpensive and simple DIY. Got rid of smell straight away in my GTI.

dannyjak
13-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Filter already replaced, didnt change the smell as I hoped.

However I think I fixed the problem, when you remove the filter, up in the housing you can see a silver pipe right at the top (you have to really get under to look). Sprayed some specific air con disinfecting product up through there (i think thats the evap core)

Ironman
16-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Filter already replaced, didnt change the smell as I hoped.

However I think I fixed the problem, when you remove the filter, up in the housing you can see a silver pipe right at the top (you have to really get under to look). Sprayed some specific air con disinfecting product up through there (i think thats the evap core)

^
I purchased a Charcoal interior cabin air filter which removed the smell I was getting. Activated charcoal is moisture absorbant and odor neutralising. It did cost more than the usual material filter. But Fixed my problem.

I'll get the product code so if anyone needs to replace it they have the part number/code

brad
17-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Pull the fan out (it's not that hard) and clean all the crap off it. Make sure the plenum is clear of vegetation & all the compost heap is removed from the bottom of the guards.

Pollen filter needed every 12 months in Australia

Eaglehawk
18-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I'll get the product code so if anyone needs to replace it they have the part number/code

That would be great. I'm hoping this product is compatible with a MY13 AllTrack?

brad
19-04-2015, 08:38 AM
All the filters are the same for Golf, passat, superb, octavia, a3, a4

AIR Conditioning Active Carbon Cabin Pollen Filter FOR VW Volkswagen Passat CC | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-conditioning-Active-Carbon-Cabin-Pollen-Filter-For-VW-VolksWagen-Passat-CC-/151517550965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2347265975)