PDA

View Full Version : MY13 Auto Tailgate Issues

fletchog
11-04-2015, 09:06 PM
I use my tailgate a lot during my working day and also can be open for extended periods during loading and unloading

My vehicle is yet to have its 2nd birthday and the tailgate no refuses to remain open. The struts do not hold it open, as it slowly lowers the closing mechanism kicks in and down it comes.

I realise this will be fixed under warranty, however, was just wondering if others have experienced this problem. obviously the std struts are not up to the task of regular tailgate use.

I am very disenchanted with auto doors/tailgates, both the auto side doors on my multivan failed and now this. wish manual opening was an option.
Anyone know if the auto mode on my Passat tailgate can be disconected and it can be manually opened and closed?

booba
11-04-2015, 11:49 PM
I don't think that disabling the auto tail gate mechanism will help. The mechanism is there to open and close the tailgate. The gas struts would be holding up the tailgate and it appear that one or both of these have failed. They only take 5 minutes each to replace,

vdubmotorworx
12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Struts do fail from time to time...the tailgates are so heavy

booba
12-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeah, i remember doing the boot pop mod on mk5 gti, the tailgate was really heavy with even one gas strut missing.