PDA

View Full Version : R36 Deleting the exhaust drone accomplished!

Mr R36
09-04-2015, 03:18 AM
If you own an R36 you will find nothing you dislike about it; it is amazingly balanced in all areas and consequently very pleasing. However some things can be better. One of those is the exhaust note.

Many R36 owners will tell you they want more rasp and less drone from the big 3.6ltr V6 similar to the note of the R32s. But the investigation generally stops when they find out a full iPE or Supersprint exhaust costs upwards of $6000.

What did I want? I wanted the same reserved R36 at idle and cruise speed but with a little more bite at heavy throttle and I wanted it to be noticeable. I wanted that exhaust crackle akin to the AMGs. Essentially i wanted "loud on demand"

Well folks, I did it and I fixed mine for a total of $1100. What did I do? I simply upgraded the catalytic converters to 100 cell hi-flow cats and deleted the centre suitcase muffler in replacement of a J pipe such as the C63 AMGs have. The result? A nice loud raspy crackle at heavy throttle but almost stock noise level at idle and cruise. To me it's the best of both worlds without the hefty cost. In the future I think I will look at a REMUS rear muffler with valve control to control the noise levels at the touch of a button. Alternatively and or additionally add an air intake before the DSG and ECU tune and I think we may have struck gold.

I had my exhaust worked on at The Muffler Man in Prahran. Trevor and the boys know their business very well and have very good service. I can't recommend them enough. They stock loads of REMUS products are starting to focus more on VWs exclusively. Also if you try an exhaust and don't like the note within 14 days they will swap it back free of charge.

As you can tell in pretty wrapped about the new sound of the exhaust. Smiles from ear to ear! :D

XXX-1.8T
09-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Who's going to try this first in Sydney?

What is a J pipe?

No drone even in 5th or 6th gear?

Rolls
09-04-2015, 09:13 AM
Very interested in this!
As above - what is a J pipe?

How is around 3-4K rpm in gear 5/6?
I've only got a Suitcase delete and around 3-4K it slightly drones in gear 5/6

OilBurna
09-04-2015, 09:38 AM
COBB Tuning - Subaru 2015 WRX 6MT SS 3" J-Pipe (http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-2015-WRX-6MT-SS-3-J-Pipe-p/541203.htm)

Elmura
09-04-2015, 11:10 AM
COBB Tuning - Subaru 2015 WRX 6MT SS 3" J-Pipe (http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-2015-WRX-6MT-SS-3-J-Pipe-p/541203.htm)

No, that is not what is meant. The WRX J-pipe is another name for the downpipe. A resonant J-pipe is a relatively new development where a pipe is "T" junctioned where a resonator once was. This pipe then leads to a closed end, often in a shape of a J for space reasons. It has a tuned size & length according to engine size, no. of cylinders & RPM.
It works by quarter wave noise cancellation. ie. The frequency of the resonance divided by 4, with the exhaust pulse reflecting back on itself.
I'm intrigued by it (being both a mechanical & audio engineer (as well as IT & electrical)) as the claim is that it doesn't restrict the flow much.

Still, I don't think that removal of the centre suitcase resonator, only to make & fit a J-pipe, will have any real performance benefit. Sound would likely differ.

Here's one example. Being Drone free.. Well almost J pipes theory and application. (http://flg8cc.com/vb4/showthread.php?23-Being-Drone-free-Well-almost-J-pipes-theory-and-application)

Mr R36
09-04-2015, 11:34 AM
^ exactly that. Science .

But in seriousness it deletes drone and allows more of the crackle when you take your foot off the pedal etc. As the gases pulse inside or something.

In layman terms it's a muffler within a muffler that is connected with a pipe that leads to nowhere. ...okay maybe not the best description. ...

Just listen to what Elmura is saying

Stanton
09-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I''m wealy wapped for you I could go into waptures.

XXX-1.8T
09-04-2015, 04:44 PM
This shows how it works!

makes sense :)

Being Drone free.. Well almost J pipes theory and application. (http://flg8cc.com/vb4/showthread.php?23-Being-Drone-free-Well-almost-J-pipes-theory-and-application)

OilBurna
09-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Nice one Costa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASR36
09-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Any chance of some videos (both inside and outside)?

3C4M Guy
09-04-2015, 07:18 PM
This is excellent information Mr R36. Thank you. The exhaust business recommendation is particularly useful to me because I'm in Melbourne. I have a 3.2L V6 but the info is useful all the same. I test drove an R36 once and I noted the exhaust drone at idle was a sort of buffeting that was quite headache-producing. I couldn't have lived with it and I assumed that R36 had been 'fiddled-with', but perhaps they are all like this. Anyway, you seem to have accomplished a good fix.

drZ
09-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Hey mr r36..do you have any pictures of your setup?

Passat R36
09-04-2015, 09:52 PM
This is excellent information Mr R36. Thank you. The exhaust business recommendation is particularly useful to me because I'm in Melbourne. I have a 3.2L V6 but the info is useful all the same. I test drove an R36 once and I noted the exhaust drone at idle was a sort of buffeting that was quite headache-producing. I couldn't have lived with it and I assumed that R36 had been 'fiddled-with', but perhaps they are all like this. Anyway, you seem to have accomplished a good fix.

drone on normal R36? never heard of it

dannyjak
09-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Pics please!

Video of sound please!

Unfortunately in Sydney so cant make it to Prahan and see the same guys, hence keen to see what the set up looks like and if someone here can replicate it

XXX-1.8T
10-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Im sure if you spoke to Hitech Mufflers they could do it or have done the same previously

Jakeys
10-04-2015, 05:02 PM
drone on normal R36? never heard of it

I think I know what he means. My car does that, but only when cold and the car revs a little higher on idle, it stops itself very quickly once it starts to get up to temp.

Replacing the cats and doing the J pipe is interesting indeed. I assume the bulk of the $1100 cost is the cats themselves right? I should look into this, I ran into a similar boat, want an Arqray system but they're $3k+ which is a bit high for a steel catback just for noise. Supersprint obviously even worse. (And ugly oval tips...)
Innotech is the best easily but the price they are charging is literally hilarious, it is so bad.

Mr R36
10-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys glad to help solve this infamous problem!

How do i post vids? Unfortunately i dont have a before sound inside the cabin but I'm sure you all know what it sounds like. I can post vids up asap (Maybe youtube)

Re idle drone: hmm i didnt experience this with a stock exhaust. It has some deepness to it but i like that. I just didn't like that annoying low frequency drone while cruising around 2200-3200 rpm urgh.

Yes the cats are the expensive part but honestly i think it's pretty cheap overall because there are two cats needing change and phantom plugs so the o2 light doesn't come on. Add that with labour it works out well. also cat is probably the only part of the exhaust that will change performance as the system is straight through. So by increasing flow i can only imagine power has increased, even marginally.

dannyjak
10-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Youtube sounds good!

Aiming to go the non-cat replacement route to save some $$

MrR36 can you provide more pics or info of the J tube lengths and position where they are resting?

Mr R36
10-04-2015, 11:44 PM
I can get some pics up next time I'm at the exhaust shop. I'm toying now with the idea of a remus muffler + valve control. now that I've got the type of noise in check , my next step is getting it more grunt and louder but it must be controllable so i don't sound like a hoon 24/7...only 22/7 (jk)

P.s does anybody know where i can get an air intake? preferably gruppem but the rarity and cost is almost pushing me towards forge motorsport.

Jakeys
11-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Just be careful with the Gruppe M, it fits fine and is fully functional but because it was designed specifically for the R32, it curves away from the front of the car a bit too much and leaves a gap. It is purely aesthetic, up to you if this is a problem or not given the money you're paying. It's easily the nicest intake other than maybe the Volkswagen Racing ones (Which I don't think exist for the R36, happy to be proven wrong here) but it's not a perfect fit for the R36.

Other options that I know of are the Forge and the EVO-MS which is what I have. It just comes down to budget and what you want it to look like in the bay I think, performance and sound differences will be negligible.

Mr R36
11-04-2015, 08:08 PM
You have both a forge and evoms? Are you willing to sell the forge? I'm giving up on ghr GruppeM due to rarity and exactly what you said - purely aesthetics and costly

Jakeys
12-04-2015, 05:40 AM
No I just have the EVO-MS. Sorry if I wasn't clear with the post.

Steve
12-04-2015, 09:56 PM
I haven't noticed any drone in my R36. I've always wanted it to sound better, though, but I haven't done anything about that problem in seven years. If I weren't toying with the idea of selling the car I'd be all over a more ridiculous sound, but... hm. Decision.

damo_t
13-04-2015, 12:11 AM
Youtube sounds good!

Aiming to go the non-cat replacement route to save some $$

MrR36 can you provide more pics or info of the J tube lengths and position where they are resting?

I think I'm asking the same question as Danny here, MrR36. Would it be worthwhile to remove the suitcase and replace with the J-pipe if you aren't replacing the cats?

Would you effectively get the suitcase delete sound without drone between 2k-3k rpm?

Apologies if I am repeating Danny's question.

Thanks in advance,
Damo

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

dannyjak
13-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Keen to know the answer =)

Damo, potentially we can get a group buy happening haha

I think I'm asking the same question as Danny here, MrR36. Would it be worthwhile to remove the suitcase and replace with the J-pipe if you aren't replacing the cats?

Would you effectively get the suitcase delete sound without drone between 2k-3k rpm?

Apologies if I am repeating Danny's question.

Thanks in advance,
Damo

Mr R36
13-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Let's turn to logic...and opinion lol. Depending on how long you plan to keep the car for, anything over 2 years I would do minor mods because:

1.The car will continue to depreciate regardless of mods

2. Mods in my opinion will not change the value of the car to the prospective buyer based on:
- pricing of the car at the time of sale (anywhere from 16-25k in 2 years time) will attract a different customer demographic compared to brand new buyers
- empirical evidence: everyone on this forum owning an R36 wants to change the sound anyway

3. reward versus cost: from 300 - $2400 (intake, cat, tune) extra in total over two years you're essentially paying $2400 (dw about discounted cash) or $25/week for more out of your car. How much do you value driving experience? Imagine buying the R36 brand new again and that feel.

In my opinion for a small price to pay for little risk, I'm getting a better car and better everyday driving experience.

- pitch over haha

Mr R36
13-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Re J pipe: I don't know as I'm no expert but what I was told and have read suggests that the J Pipe alone decreases drone and increases rasp due to the pulsing inside the chamber. I can only imagine that the difference in gaining rasp is marginal compared to decreasing drone. High flow cats will change the tone of the exhaust -definitely more tinny and raspy but its the rear muffler that will largely determine noise level

If you're all in Melbourne and want a group order I'm sure the muffler man will work up a deal. From what I've been told though they don't make much money from customising the J pipes but they do want to work more with the vee dubs so i think it's an area worth exploring.

Mr R36
13-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to upload on YouTube but it says upload suspended 0%. any idea why?

I've uploaded once before.the only difference is that it was private and not public sharing.

Jakeys
13-04-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm in Adelaide so I can't partake as it would be pointless shipping me anything as it is not bolt on. I'd like some pics and/or dimensions though so I can take something to show a local exhaust shop as I think you might have come up with quite a good idea here. The only thing stopping me doing suitcase delete is the drone reports, if this fixes that, I'm interested, because it's about $3000 for an Arqray catback, or it sounds like you could do this with the high flow cats for under half the price. And I might even just do it and keep stock cats for even less, I'm not looking for crazy loud, I just want that awesome crackle.

(No idea on Youtube btw.)

Mr R36
13-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Update: I can't believe it but I've managed to get even more crackle, rasp and less drone. It's more noticeable in cabin now and all other features such as drone during cruise and idle noise remains in all fairness unchanged. I suspect however that cold start will be louder as per priming of exhaust but that will subside in about a minute.

How did i achieve this?

I deleted one hot dog resonator (right before the cat) and replaced with straight pipe. The muffler man suggested i don't do both hot dogs to begin with. One deleted also creates an uneven note which further adds to the crackle. I also have pictures which I'll now learn to upload

Steve
13-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Mr R36, I can upload images and video for you if you email them to me. r36@mig15.net.

Jakeys
13-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Update: I can't believe it but I've managed to get even more crackle, rasp and less drone. It's more noticeable in cabin now and all other features such as drone during cruise and idle noise remains in all fairness unchanged. I suspect however that cold start will be louder as per priming of exhaust but that will subside in about a minute.

How did i achieve this?

I deleted one hot dog resonator (right before the cat) and replaced with straight pipe. The muffler man suggested i don't do both hot dogs to begin with. One deleted also creates an uneven note which further adds to the crackle. I also have pictures which I'll now learn to upload

I wonder what it would sound like if you removed both hot dogs and replace the suitcase with the J pipe BUT leave the cats alone. Thoughts on that sort of setup? A bit different from what you've done.

Mr R36, I can upload images and video for you if you email them to me. r36@mig15.net.

Don't do this. You can't e-mail a video that big via e-mail, e-mail should really be well under 10MB, I am assuming your video is hundreds of MB.

Steve
13-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Depends on his outgoing server. The images will be fine, the video is a maybe.

tinto
13-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I had mine noisy for a while by removing both rear back boxes and replacing with 3" straight through pipe.
I had it made bolt on /off - the back boxes are back on right now.

I think the mid box approach is a more sensible angle, particularly if it's silent /OEM feeling around 2.5k-3k RPM.
Mine would give a terrible resonating MOOOOOOOO at those RPM. Which happened to be the sweet spot for freeway cruising in 6th. Yet in 5th it was silent...

I'm very keen to hear a video of what you've done. Not static revving, but under load in-cabin and as a drive by.

Mr R36
13-04-2015, 11:09 PM
I wonder what it would sound like if you removed both hot dogs and replace the suitcase with the J pipe BUT leave the cats alone. Thoughts on that sort of setup? A bit different from what you've done.

^ I'm not sure as i haven't done this nor heard of this done as J pipes are a relatively new design and can vary as the engineering can be quite complex. More accessible probably is buying a helmholtz resonator which has similar principles to the J pipe. However the shop did say an R36 once tried deleting both suitcase and hotdogs and the result was a very very loud drone.

Today was the first they've ever tried deleting a single hotdog with high flow cat and j pipe middle resonator. In my opinion it is very nice (almost borderline too raspy...nah i take that back).

What you could do is try backwards to what i tried. Start by installing a helmholtz resonator or ask to customise a J pipe (buying one off say a C63 will cost you an arm and a leg),see how you like it, then try delete one hotdog should you see fit, then two, then the cats etc. If you don't want it as loud then you csn turn to valve control or get 200 cell cats instead of 100 cells.

Don't do this. You can't e-mail a video that big via e-mail, e-mail should really be well under 10MB, I am assuming your video is hundreds of MB.

^ Yeah my problem now. youtube is being silly and wont let me upload - not even google is helping. I think maybe i can upload it onto my Facebook or instagram if that works for guys? Otherwise I'm meeting up with another 36 owner this weekend and he night be able to film.

damo_t
14-04-2015, 09:02 AM
^ Yeah my problem now. youtube is being silly and wont let me upload - not even google is helping. I think maybe i can upload it onto my Facebook or instagram if that works for guys? Otherwise I'm meeting up with another 36 owner this weekend and he night be able to film.

If it's a big file maybe Dropbox would work and you could share the link?

Either way, which ever works for you, it's really helping us all out!

Mr R36
14-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Alright turns out my settings didn't allow me to upload via mobile without wifi. All sorted now and links below.

1. Simple suitcase delete (for reference)

VW R36 Stock Exhaust Suitcase Muffler Delete: VW R36 Stock Exhaust Suitcase Muffler Delete - YouTube (http://youtu.be/5b-hva7OTng)

2. Suitcase delete plus high flow cat (no j pipe yet)

VW R36 Stock Exhaust + High Flow Cat: https://youtu.be/2Tz0fDsKHXc

I will upload tonight or tomorrow what it sounds like without one hotdog and added j pipe (completely different animal altogether) outside, and then also inside cabin on cruise and under heavy throttle

Jakeys
14-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Okay, so to confirm, number 2 is high flow cats and straight pipe where suitcase was, but no J pipe and no other changes. And that still produced the 2-3000rpm highway drone, correct?

Looking forward to next vid.

Great work man this is the most useful exhaust thread I've seen!

damo_t
14-04-2015, 12:14 PM
I concur with Jakey!

Thanks for the videos mate. The "rasp" from the 2nd video is nice! I'm also looking forward to the next videos.

Is it possible to grab a picture of the J-Pipe itself or even the length of the "J" extension? That would be most helpful for my situation, as I've recently performed the suitcase delete and want to get rid of the dreaded 2k-3k rpm drone.

dannyjak
14-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Exciting times!

If I can get pics and some rough dimensions on the J-Pipe, might be visiting the local shop soon to
- suitcase delete
- add J-Pipes
- replace a hot dog resonator with a straight through pipe

dannyjak
14-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Is the raspiness coming from the hi flow cat? given your second video, it appears to be the case.
Im trying to figure out whether you can get the raspiness without changes the cats

Mr R36
14-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Correct, the second video is cat without suitcase and no j pipe just straight pipe.

And yes the cats alone did achieve the rasp but didnt cancel out the drone. The j pipe is my effort to cancel out the drone from the middle resonator so a j pipe or helmholtz resonator in replacement of the suitcase might be good enough for some of you.

Heres a video of cat + j pipe on cruise and under heavy throttle

VW R36 exhaust cruise (cat and j pipe) cabin: VW R36 exhaust cruise (cat and j pipe) cabin - YouTube (http://youtu.be/OqOgk9LYTjc)

VW R36 exhaust throttle (cat, j pipe): VW R36 exhaust throttle (cat, j pipe) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/TGUZnzLG3ag)

Mr R36
14-04-2015, 07:56 PM
I've noticed some of you are keen to experiment the whole lot of what i have tried minus the high flow cats: can i ask what is influencing this choice? If it's a cost factor it's worth mentioning that where I went (in Melbourne obviously) they did the cats and said they can install a helmholtz resonator for free if i wanted. They ended up customising a j pipe for me in the end as i was a repeat customer. If you did the other way around (install helmholtz resonator) and decided you and cats i don't think they will give that away for free...does this make sense?

dannyjak
14-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Cat cost is the majority of the reason for me. I dont feel like its not an important replacement unless the raspiness only comes from the cats. Happy to just go to an exhaust shop to get them to delete the suitcase, and add some J-pipes

damo_t
14-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Once again, helpful videos Mr R36!
I'm the same as Danny regarding cost of the cats as the inhibiting factor. Maybe I should take you up on the group buy you suggested earlier :P

dannyjak
14-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Yup, lets get some pics and measurements!

Mr R36
15-04-2015, 12:09 AM
I've learned how to post videos but not pics yet....umm how do i do that? More vids now with current setup with j pipe and deleted hotdog. As you can tell the combination made a completely different animal

R36 exhaust (+2 cat, +1 j pipe -1 hotdog ): R36 exhaust (+2 cat, +1 j pipe -1 hotdog ) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/pIcaJwyC120)

VW R36 Launch (+2 cat, +1 j pipe, - 1 hotdog): VW R36 Launch (+2 cat, +1 j pipe, - 1 hotdog) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/0D4bCTTMR1Q)

Mr R36
15-04-2015, 12:43 AM
More vids:

Launch:

VW R36 Launch 2 (cat + j pipe -1 hotdog muffler): VW R36 Launch 2 (cat + j pipe -1 hotdog muffler) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/lf3ehxMV_Tg)

In cabin:

R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog): R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/uG8TWj9Puk8)

R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog): R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/RjuyNjgpjv8)

Normal driving:

R36 in cabin exhaust cruising: https://youtu.be/cUBzQujAsCk

VSO827
15-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Awesome job there Mr R36! I am also a customer of Trevor and he also suggested me to change the hi-flow cat. I am wondering if I can meet you sometime so I can listen to the exhaust in person?

Mr R36
15-04-2015, 07:59 AM
It's much different in person. Maybe we can get a discount on remus if we both buy down the track :D

Yeah sure my just give me a call 0401864193

damo_t
15-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Mr R36,

Those videos are great. That rasp is fantastic in the first two (+2 cat, +1 j pipe, -1 hot dog) videos.

In terms of posting pics, I usually upload them to Photobucket and then copy and paste the [IMG] link they provide in to your post.

I did notice that the cruising pics are just under 2k rpm, if you are in the band between 2k - 3k rpm and cruising at about 100km/h on a freeway, is there much cabin drone then?

Cheers,
Damo.

dannyjak
15-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Hey Damo, as Colin mentioned, I think the cats are necessary for the rasp, looks like we wont get it without changing the cats.

Mr R36,

Those videos are great. That rasp is fantastic in the first two (+2 cat, +1 j pipe, -1 hot dog) videos.

In terms of posting pics, I usually upload them to Photobucket and then copy and paste the [IMG] link they provide in to your post.

I did notice that the cruising pics are just under 2k rpm, if you are in the band between 2k - 3k rpm and cruising at about 100km/h on a freeway, is there much cabin drone then?

Cheers,
Damo.

damo_t
15-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Hey Damo, as Colin mentioned, I think the cats are necessary for the rasp, looks like we wont get it without changing the cats.

Yup, I agree with you. Just wanted to let him know that I loved the rasp that he is now getting.

For me, I just want to get rid of the drone that I am experiencing and it looks like the right J-Pipe configuration will do the trick (just wanted to confirm that there is no drone between 2k - 3k rpm when cruising on the freeway).

Elmura
15-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Hey Mr R36. I watched ur videos. Sounds good most of the time but I did catch drone between 2-3k RPM in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUBzQujAsCk around the 4 sec mark.
I measured it at 100Hz to 150Hz which is the usual drone tone.
When u get a chance, can you record a motorway / highway run at speeds 100, 110kph and 120kph.

Also, you mentioned in one post a phantom O2 sensor post cat??? Am I understanding correct that the exhaust shop deleted the O2 sensor or replaced it with a resistor or similar?

Mr R36
15-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I haven't tried a freeway run yet so i'll do that but just from experience there is far less drone than pure suitcase delete and i suspect actually measuring the necessary length of a j pipe based on wavelengths etc will make a greater difference. I will probably look into that more later on.

I think there will always be some drone being a 3.6ltr V6 and my aim isn't to rid all of it - just the annoying bit which I'll film today.

Re phantom plugs

Yes they installed two so the warming lights don't come on. The oxy sensor isn't touched rather they changed the plug that reads pollutants or whatever. So the exhaust has an oxy sensor next to the cat and one right after that reads the differences between the two.

In short they aren't necessary from my understanding but rather just there to avoid lights coming on.

OilBurna
15-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Is this legal doing all this?

Mr R36
15-04-2015, 01:21 PM
The high flow cats are legal I've been told. The rest regarding noise i would think is also legal as the noise level is more or less stock when driving normally.

Ps excuse my naughty driving in the vids... it's for science and the greater good

Steve
17-04-2015, 09:50 AM
Is there much pop and crackle on the overrun?

Mr R36
18-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Not really. I assume you mean crack/pop when we back off on the throttle. This is caused by excess fuel burning in the chamber so i gather you could either tune the car to run richer or get larger injectors. but this is getting out of hand ha

Mr R36
18-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Drone test 1 and 2.

I tried getting as much drone as possible by going 2-3k rpm range on 6th gear uphills, cold and wet. The short answer is it does drone. Not as bad. The frequency is more or less the same but the amplification is less. And in practice i wouldn't often catch myself driving uphills at 100kmh on 6th anyway. Flat 100kmh seems to be fine. I will however down the line consider a more engineered J pipe, suitable helmholtz chamber or go for a dual system exhaust (1 exhaust per 3 cylinders) if anybody is interested in taking my current setup. I've just bought an air intake too so i'll give that a whirl to see what differences are made to the sound.

P.s VSO827 has checkednout my car and we did film a comparison of a single middle muffler delete vs my current setup. both of our verdict is that a single muffler delete bares more drone

R36 exhaust drone test 1: https://youtu.be/cHpT3fe3Trw

R36 drone test 2: https://youtu.be/OcIXXZ9a0mw

Heinrich R36
22-04-2015, 09:08 PM
This guy seems to be getting the same sound but through a different method...

See the link below - German Portal for flaps exhaust system.

Their are a few video's on the site with an R36 and CC taking off.

VW Passat R36 (B6) | Das Fachportal für Klappenauspuffanlagen (http://klappenauspuffanlage.de/klappenauspuffanlagen-fur-den-vw-passat-r36-b6-von-f-town-streetmachines-hms-und-ipe/)

Jakeys
23-04-2015, 02:04 PM
This guy seems to be getting the same sound but through a different method...

See the link below - German Portal for flaps exhaust system.

Their are a few video's on the site with an R36 and CC taking off.

VW Passat R36 (B6) | Das Fachportal für Klappenauspuffanlagen (http://klappenauspuffanlage.de/klappenauspuffanlagen-fur-den-vw-passat-r36-b6-von-f-town-streetmachines-hms-und-ipe/)

If by different method you mean entire exhaust system then yeah. The prices listed on there for the first two systems are $3870 AUD (Not including shipping/fitment), $4659 AUD (Not including) and the price for the iPE isn't listed but last time I checked that system was about $6000 shipped but not fitted. Not really comparable!

Buying a Supersprint or Arqray locally would produce a similar effect and they both cost around $2500-3000 each before fitting I believe.

try000
24-05-2015, 08:45 AM
so just quickly.... 100cpi cats are illegal, due to emission laws.
i had these on my old ss and was told that they would install at my own risk.

Elmura
24-05-2015, 09:23 PM
so just quickly.... 100cpi cats are illegal, due to emission laws.
i had these on my old ss and was told that they would install at my own risk.

I looked into the 100 cell metal cats. The reason they set off a check engine light is because it isn't doing the job of cleaning Nitric oxides from the exhaust like the OEM ones do.

I'd still like to fit them but, yeah, the emissions would be worse, and you would have to figure a fix for the ECU fault.

One method I investigated briefly was a 100c cat that had a sensor bung that featured a very small amount of regular cat substrate. So the sensor would sniff a relatively clean, lower flow rate exhaust. It cost only a bit more. My concern was that, being so small, it would clog up or break down in a fairly short time. The exhaust shop is in Ingleburn, NSW. Can't recall their name - maybe Sureflo but can't find it on their website

Mr R36
28-05-2015, 12:40 AM
What you're talking about are called phantom plugs or spacers. they fix the CEL issue. A tune will also fix the problem

dannyjak
13-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Mr R36, still happy with your exhaust set up?

Any details on the J pipe lengths and where they are installed?

Thanks

Rolls
15-07-2015, 08:57 AM
I've got a supersprint catback installed.
That's the only modification and there is no crackle-pop at all :(

XXX-1.8T
27-05-2019, 10:40 AM
More vids:

Launch:

VW R36 Launch 2 (cat + j pipe -1 hotdog muffler): VW R36 Launch 2 (cat + j pipe -1 hotdog muffler) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/lf3ehxMV_Tg)

In cabin:

R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog): R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/uG8TWj9Puk8)

R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog): R36 in cabin exhaust ( cat + j pipe - 1 hotdog) - YouTube (http://youtu.be/RjuyNjgpjv8)

Normal driving:

R36 in cabin exhaust cruising: YouTube (https://youtu.be/cUBzQujAsCk)

Any pics of actual J Pipes?

looking to get J pipes done on mine.

Where did you go?

Vr32wa
28-05-2019, 05:47 AM
Also interested in pics/specs of your j pipes.