PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgghhhh plus1

vinderliker
25-11-2007, 12:11 PM
When it was raining it was stalling, now it is stalling all the time my patience is really running out!

Golf Loon
25-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Coil or points, or both mate.

h100vw
25-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Bad plug leads?

Jmac
25-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Crack in the dis cap or yeah the coil spray it all with WD40 and try it. Not too much aroun the cap ive seen a flame there before LOL. Water finds the flaws mate, electricity will take the easy way out and water is an awesome conductor.;)

vinderliker
26-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Leads are new

Bad plug leads?

vinderliker
26-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Matt, I need to know what to put in it SEAT or Passat?

Coil or points, or both mate.

vinderliker
26-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Gave that a try, should I take the dizzy cap off a spray in there?

Crack in the dis cap or yeah the coil spray it all with WD40 and try it. Not too much aroun the cap ive seen a flame there before LOL. Water finds the flaws mate, electricity will take the easy way out and water is an awesome conductor.;)

vinderliker
26-11-2007, 12:52 PM
I am also going to give the carbie mixture a tweek, Thanks for the ideas guys keep them coming, cause the Little Beastie is really trying my patience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gtimk5
26-11-2007, 01:09 PM
By removing the aircleaner yyou can access the idle jet. Its a small 8m/m headed with a screwdriver slot in it part going into the carby on the rocker cover side from memory. Remove it carefully and give it a good blow out with your mouth. There is a tiny hole on the end that quite often gets the tiniest bit of rubbish in there. Also disconnect the wire to the large electo shut off jet and make sure it clicks.
All this is if you are running the standard carby of course!!!!
We are here to help you as much as we can mate. Just let us know what fixes it in the end, eh??
Andrew :)

vinderliker
26-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I just adjusted the idle mixture and the air mixture screw. It seems to be idling Ok at the moment but I need to take for a drive. Will let you all know how it goes. I just waiting for a phone call and tracking a storm on the Bureau of Mets site.

By removing the aircleaner yyou can access the idle jet. Its a small 8m/m headed with a screwdriver slot in it part going into the carby on the rocker cover side from memory. Remove it carefully and give it a good blow out with your mouth. There is a tiny hole on the end that quite often gets the tiniest bit of rubbish in there. Also disconnect the wire to the large electo shut off jet and make sure it clicks.
All this is if you are running the standard carby of course!!!!
We are here to help you as much as we can mate. Just let us know what fixes it in the end, eh??
Andrew :)

vinderliker
27-11-2007, 12:52 PM
The car is much better, it is not stalling at all. I am off the see Pete at CVWC in Belconnen on Friday to see about the coil, dissy cap, rotor and my nemesis the points

I just adjusted the idle mixture and the air mixture screw. It seems to be idling Ok at the moment but I need to take for a drive. Will let you all know how it goes. I just waiting for a phone call and tracking a storm on the Bureau of Mets site.

vinderliker
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Could not make it to see Pete at CVWC. But I discovered that when the wipers are on after a couple of minutes the car stalls. Turn off the wipers and the car starts and off it goes????????????????????????? Any ideas??????????

Jarred
03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
electrical gremlins perhaps?

vinderliker
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Pete reckons so. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can get some of the stuff done. I will be a little more flushed in January, so I can get everything done. I have also got to get the radiator drain bolt rethreaded as well grrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Dare I say what else. The story so far, radiator drain bolt rethreaded, fix mysterious wiper/stall problem, find out why the car jerks when keeping foot on the accelerator cruising along, new coil?, dissy cap?, rotor?, points?, overheating drain flush radiator, temp sender, thermostat?, Matt, check tune? What I want after reliability issues sorted, 32/36 carbie, sports exhaust, seat covers, 2 new tyres etc. Depression, depression, depression. Lotto win, Octavia RS. GT sport tdi, GTi, R32???????????????????????

Lukev85
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
hang in there buddy, the old passats are usually an electrical nightmare. it just takes time to get them right and all those bugs ironed out. im currently suffering from distributer probs yet again, with old cars its one after another, its all bout the love of the car to keep them up an running

Jmac
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Aye Aye Luke you are right mate. Remember with the points system a very overlooked item is the condenser. And the thing is it can also be faulty from new outta the box!!! Been caught a couple of times with that.
This Passat in question - doew it have the same electrical disruption when you put any other consumer on??????? like headlights or blower. Try this and let me know. You might have a fault in the X relief system.
Cheers

vinderliker
04-12-2007, 08:24 PM
No the fan and the headlights running don't stall the car by memory but I will check.
Thanks
James

Aye Aye Luke you are right mate. Remember with the points system a very overlooked item is the condenser. And the thing is it can also be faulty from new outta the box!!! Been caught a couple of times with that.
This Passat in question - doew it have the same electrical disruption when you put any other consumer on??????? like headlights or blower. Try this and let me know. You might have a fault in the X relief system.
Cheers

76Passat
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd have to agree with Luke85, it's definitely for the love of the thing that we keep them alive! I had a lot of trouble with my white B1 when I took it over from my sister who didn't really look after it. It stalled, didn't start properly etc. All problems went away when I put on the aftermarket electronic ignition I had in my spare parts bin from another B1 I owned (now scrap metal). It's not a full ignition map, just a transistor assisted deal still using the conventional points, cost about $50 in kit form from Jaycar. Well worth it. Also seems to help the engine rev above 5000, idles smoother etc.

vinderliker
08-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Off to see Pete at CVWC on the 17th to see what is going on.I find auto electrics a bit of a black art!!