PDA

View Full Version : Help with T4 2.5 petrol

slugger95
23-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi Guys, just bought a used 1995 T4 2.5 petrol SWB. 280k on the clock. Drives really well but very gutless especially when the aircon is on and the revs start to wane a little at 3000rpm and over. Runs a little rough especially when cold and when you make a sudden turn left or right turn like going through a roundabout it splutters and coughs until you straighten up.

When the engine is turned off and key out of ignition there still seems to be a sound coming from the engine bay that sounds like a really small fan but it is not the fans on the radiator......WHAT THE ! ! ! !

Any thoughts on any of these strange occurrences?????

It also has an exhaust leak which I am hoping will be a flange gasket and not the manifold...
Cheers

Steve

Jmac
23-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Ok couple of things, there is a n electric water pump that runs when the engine is switched off when warm so that is normal providing it switches off eventually. You will need to change the fuel filter as well as you dont know how old it is! The waning revs is the idle stabilisation valve that sits on top of the inlet manifold. You need to strip it off and soak it in SHellite. This cleans the carbon from it mate, this is common on these. Its possible that the downpipe is spit down through the centre causing the exhaust leak. Also to add to the waning revs you may have a ****y coolant temp sensor (blue) which too is very common on these, but my money would be trying the idle valve mate
Cheers

slugger95
23-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Great work, I will try all of these things over the weekend and let you know, thanks for all of your help, its greatly appreciated ! ! ! !
Steve

Jmac
23-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Mate im jumping ahead of myself the 4 cylinder has the idle valve your 5 cyl has a throttle body and the same goes for that but you take the hose off and clean the body. Another thing they were bad for is the Vac hose going from the inlet manifold feeds the Map sensor in the ecu which can fill with oil. Im afraid there is no fix apart from having the ecu repaired or replaced. If that was the case you need to modify the vac hose with filter to catch the oil and route the pipe with a longer one and put some curls in it to help restrict the oil from contaminating the ecu. Someone might have done this. But one thing mate sluggish 2.4 were bad for dodgy Map sensors mate! even with AC off when they are faulty they are really sluggish giving you the feeling of a blocked exhaust and when the AC is on it only emulates this. Sorry about the mix up but im only too happy to help ya!!!

DVR68U
27-11-2007, 10:39 PM
hey slugger i see you did end up going with the 2.5l hope it goes well for you, the transporters are a good van. ive got a ecu and key if yours is shot, hopefully its not . im going to go out and put so loops in my vac ref pipe 2morro morning now haha
cheers brenton