PDA

View Full Version : '09 R36 Fuel Consumption High + "DSG Issues"

Mr R36
25-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Greetings VW world,

I've encountered a few things in concerned with and would like to know whether I'm paranoid:

1. Fuel consumption suddenly seems high

a full tank will tell me i have 450km on the limit. I am not driving like a hoon nor granny and my average fuel consumption on the mfd ranges from 40ltr per 100 but will drop as i drive. currently I've done 100km and the fuel gauge is 3/4 full (1/4 down) so it's not just the mfd?

Which brings me to

2. My average fuel consumption on the mfd resets every time i drive. never noticed this until now. Is this normal?

3. On uphills when in drive, as i start from a full stop (at a red light for example) on a few occasions the car wikl roll back but the gearbox will make a little noise before driving forward. It doesnt happen all the time and the noise sounds but sounds like metal rubbing against each other but not crunching or grinding. Is this normal in the DSG?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Passat R36
25-03-2015, 12:11 PM
1, I noticed that the fuel gauge is not that accurate, especially from the full mark, it drops more than what you actually use.
2, The fuel consumption has 1 and 2, one of them keeps changing as me driving.
3, My own fuel consumption calculation is around 13-14 L/100km on my short daily driving in traffic lights conditions which I think it's normal
4, DSG will not hold the car when you are on uphill taking off, rolling back is normal, but not sure about the noise, mine does not make any noise.

hope above helps!

brad
25-03-2015, 02:40 PM
1) Km per tank doesn't really mean much. Are you running it down to empty & then pushing it to the servo for fuel?

2) There will be a 1 or a 2 in the top RH corner. (1) is the current trip consumption & resets after 2 hours of inactivity. (2) is the average fuel consumption and resets after 99hr59m.
It's in the owners manual. Lots of other trickery can be done with the MFD too.

Netrover
25-03-2015, 04:41 PM
1, I noticed that the fuel gauge is not that accurate, especially from the full mark, it drops more than what you actually use.
2, The fuel consumption has 1 and 2, one of them keeps changing as me driving.
3, My own fuel consumption calculation is around 13-14 L/100km on my short daily driving in traffic lights conditions which I think it's normal
4, DSG will not hold the car when you are on uphill taking off, rolling back is normal, but not sure about the noise, mine does not make any noise.

hope above helps!

I agree with all of the above, plus:

2, I've found 3 consumption screens on the mfd. One seems to be a long term measure, the next is the current trip, and the third is real time. So when coasting down hill it reads 0.0. When accelerating up a hill its a big number!

3, Long term screen is about 11.3.

4, I use the Auto Stop button when I come up to a hill start. No roll back. Need to engage this before stopping.

Heinrich R36
25-03-2015, 08:13 PM
1) My fuel consumption is ok and the gauge is so so and I find it's fairly economical really compared to some Falcons and Commodores.

2) As above there is a small 1 and you can change to the 2 menu to see other readings.

3) My fuel consumption is at 11.3 as well.

4)Auto stop - best to judge the situation ahead coming up to round a bout or give way sign on an incline then use it.

You will get a good feel for when to use the Auto Hold button and when not to.

Mr R36
25-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys - yes the 1 and 2 made the difference.

Yes I've just turned on the auto hold permanently - Though i feel like this would make fuel economy worse (wasted momentum ha). Working for now so I'll keep it!