PDA

View Full Version : house hold items to clean cars?

ScienceVR6
23-11-2007, 01:54 PM
DOVW os on sunday, does anyone know how to get a car looking showable in a day with only items found around the house?
I have the normal Tyre shines and carwash and sponges and things, but are there house hold items i could use on the leather? The carpets? the dash? the glass?

Im pretty poor at the moment and i don't want to spend any money.

BlackVr6ix
23-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Pitty you live so far away otherwise i'd have loaned you my whole detailing case.

ScienceVR6
23-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I know. How come no one wants to drive an hour and a half from melbourne to my place? Its a straight line and its all 100km/h the whole way to pakenham, then its 100 again till my place!

But anyway. Are there any items i should catagorically NEVER use?

(Conundrum for yas. If there are 2 sections of 100km/h, which could be writen 2 x 100km/h, does that make 200km/h?)

BlackVr6ix
23-11-2007, 02:33 PM
dish washing liquid

LookOut
23-11-2007, 02:37 PM
is dishwashing liquid GOOD or BAD? I used to use a little bit in hot water all the time... Also used Wool Wash detergent.

Tim
23-11-2007, 02:57 PM
i heard elbow grease works well

VW Convert
23-11-2007, 02:57 PM
(Conundrum for yas. If there are 2 sections of 100km/h, which could be writen 2 x 100km/h, does that make 200km/h?)

How about you try it and let us know what happens? j: j: j:

Cheers

George

BlackVr6ix
23-11-2007, 02:58 PM
dont use dishwashing liquid on paint, it will remove all protective coatings of polish/wax etc.

warm water and wool/delicates stuff is ok on leather just dont make it too strong.

FknDubbin
23-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Dont use Drano or an Enjo mit.

shami
23-11-2007, 04:58 PM
I used spray and wipe of my hyundai...always got a specific brand from Aldi i swear it looks awesome...

Havent tried on the gti...hmmm i mite go do that now...

gpk_gti
23-11-2007, 05:04 PM
the funiest thing I have used in my time(and I still use it) is a NEW toilet brush for scrubing lightly the carpet and cloth seats as im vacumming.the harder bristles make the sand and other bits slightly jump up and with my other hand directly behind the brush is the vacuum nozzle.
gets all the sand out and leaves your carpet looking new!!!!

dont laugh too hard guys.

ScienceVR6
23-11-2007, 06:22 PM
the funiest thing I have used in my time(and I still use it) is a NEW toilet brush for scrubing lightly the carpet and cloth seats as im vacumming.the harder bristles make the sand and other bits slightly jump up and with my other hand directly behind the brush is the vacuum nozzle.
gets all the sand out and leaves your carpet looking new!!!!

dont laugh too hard guys.
accualy when i was a detailer, i would use a very big stiff brush to scrub carpets wheile i i steamcleaned them.

Spoddy
23-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Mr Sheen works a treat, specially after using C18 to get rid of the bugs.:cool:

rayray086
23-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Windex on windows FTW.

ScienceVR6
23-11-2007, 09:50 PM
so, my mission tommorow is to get the golf looking hot for no outlay.

my plan of attack is thus.

Wash. In the backyard with my kenco noodle and bug spunge and eagle 1 professional car wash. (can only be bought in a 20L drum!)
chammous. Gotta dry it. gotta do all the gaps too.
polish. I think i have some kitten number 1 somwhere, i will see if i can find it.......
steel wool the exhaust tips. Get the chrome blingin' again!
Paint the inner gaurds. A can of $2 paint from supercrap does the trick, get it all looking tidy.
tyre shine. All the tyres, the bumpers, the skirts, the lips, the moulds, the flairs, the side repeater lenses, the spoiler, EVERYTHING!
outside glass. Can't be bothered polishing the glass, so i will juust get the windex out and some paper towell.
Vachume the carpets, the door pockets, the center consol. God knows it needs it. Damn country towns and there dirt roads.
i still need somthing to do the leather with. Normally i just use Kitten interier cleaner. but i have none left.
Same problem with the dash and door cards. I have nothing left! I will chamouse them though, nothing lifts dust like a damp chamois.
i need an inside window cleaner. They tell me you cant use windex on tinted windows.Does anyone know what i can clean the roof lining with?

BlackVr6ix
24-11-2007, 07:12 AM
you shouldn't use windex because it contains ammonia and it will damage the tint.

rayray086
24-11-2007, 07:33 AM
you shouldn't use windex because it contains ammonia and it will damage the tint.

My bad, didn't know it can do that.

(I don't have tint)

LookOut
24-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Whats the problem with using Enjo? We just bought a car cleaning glove and polishing cloth from Enjo, and i used it for the first time this morning. I thought the results were excellent, but is there some heinous scratching effect that they dont tell you about???

silverdovegti
24-11-2007, 05:23 PM
windex is fine on all windows on the exterior, a damp cloth is sufficient for the insides where the window tint is.

Golf Houso
02-12-2007, 11:56 PM
House hold products tend to destroy clearcoat. Dish washing fluid is notorious for it. Ever tried turps with 80% water, tend to get alot of crap off I'd keep it away from paint though. Oh and Vodka and Rakija as I've mentioned before for windows ... nothing on the planet seems to work better, and no I'm not selling any though lol...

XXX-1.8T
13-12-2007, 04:09 PM
so, my mission tommorow is to get the golf looking hot for no outlay.

my plan of attack is thus.

Wash. In the backyard with my kenco noodle and bug spunge and eagle 1 professional car wash. (can only be bought in a 20L drum!)
chammous. Gotta dry it. gotta do all the gaps too.
polish. I think i have some kitten number 1 somwhere, i will see if i can find it.......
steel wool the exhaust tips. Get the chrome blingin' again!
Paint the inner gaurds. A can of $2 paint from supercrap does the trick, get it all looking tidy.
tyre shine. All the tyres, the bumpers, the skirts, the lips, the moulds, the flairs, the side repeater lenses, the spoiler, EVERYTHING!
outside glass. Can't be bothered polishing the glass, so i will juust get the windex out and some paper towell.
Vachume the carpets, the door pockets, the center consol. God knows it needs it. Damn country towns and there dirt roads.
i still need somthing to do the leather with. Normally i just use Kitten interier cleaner. but i have none left.
Same problem with the dash and door cards. I have nothing left! I will chamouse them though, nothing lifts dust like a damp chamois.
i need an inside window cleaner. They tell me you cant use windex on tinted windows.Does anyone know what i can clean the roof lining with?

Ive heard of steel wool on metals but im scared it will scatch it?

I use Mr Sheen on my glass as it has no omonia in it.

Another trick i use on my beetle and its to get rid of rust off the chrome is viniger and foil. It gets rid of any rust spots on chrome!

ScienceVR6
13-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Ive heard of steel wool on metals but im scared it will scatch it?

I use Mr Sheen on my glass as it has no omonia in it.

Another trick i use on my beetle and its to get rid of rust off the chrome is viniger and foil. It gets rid of any rust spots on chrome!
So long as it's lubericated (i.e. Soapy water) you will be fine.

Explain the viniger and foil technic.

XXX-1.8T
14-12-2007, 09:11 AM
So long as it's lubericated (i.e. Soapy water) you will be fine.

Explain the viniger and foil technic.

Get a bowl of vinigar.

Scrunch up some foil and rub where there is rust on metal bits and watch the rust go away as the vinigar has a chemical reaction to the foil and rust it gets rid of it.

Amazing stuff!

Golf Houso
15-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Aluminium is very reactive, I'm guessing the vinegar (acetic acid) takes off a few electrons from the aluminuim (al) which then allows the rust (Fe) then reacts and then attach to the aluminium. I'm guessing you all already know that :)

ScienceVR6
15-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Aluminium is very reactive, I'm guessing the vinegar (acetic acid) takes off a few electrons from the aluminuim (al) which then allows the rust (Fe) then reacts and then attach to the aluminium. I'm guessing you all already know that :)
wow. Maybe we should be calling you Science!

Golf Houso
17-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Lol couldn't help myself. I'm no science person, I didn't even do all that well in chemistry anyway, but yeah thats the chemical reaction for that, i'll post the equation later lol... when I've got time, bloody employment, I want to be a uni bum again j:...

Soundofav6
17-12-2007, 10:10 PM
1. use alcohol in spray bottle on windows, seems to work well
2. shoe polish. works great in winter.
3. Clay bar. blue tack with water. . my greatest discovery. lol. seems to work very well too. Just not too much water. blue tack tends to melt on your hands but not on the car.