PDA

View Full Version : Towing capacity for 2015 Amarok

zed
11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
What I've read is that unbraked the towing capacity of the Amorak is 750kg, does that mean I need electronic brakes fitted to tow anything heavier?

Sharkie
11-03-2015, 11:58 AM
What I've read is that unbraked the towing capacity of the Amorak is 750kg, does that mean I need electronic brakes fitted to tow anything heavier?

Where did you read that? Pretty sure its much more (2800kg+) than that.

EDIT: Sorry you are correct, unbraked is 750kg and braked is 3000kg with a 300kg weight on the downball.

That said I have towed an unbraked car trailer with a small hatch on it, so +-1500kg unbraked with no issues .....

zed
11-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Where did you read that? Pretty sure its much more (2800kg+) than that.

What I read is 750kg - unbraked 3000kg - braked. Not 100% sure what that means, but guessing to tow anything heavier than 750kg it needs electronic brakes fitted? I didn't bother asking the VW carsalesman as he was clueless. Didn't know the engine size, rim size of the Ultimate etc etc..

Hillbilly
11-03-2015, 12:15 PM
What it means is this A trailer up to 750KG. No brakes needed. From 751 to 2000kg GTM you can have over ride brakes,

from 2001GTM up you must have electric brakes ON ALL TRAILER WHEELS

GTM means the weight on the axles but not the towball

Hillbilly
11-03-2015, 12:17 PM
l.

That said I have towed an unbraked car trailer with a small hatch on it, so +-1500kg unbraked with no issues .....

Maybe you did but would have been interesting if you had to stop in a hurry Always nice to stop with the tug still at the front LOL

zed
11-03-2015, 12:18 PM
What it means is this A trailer up to 750KG. No brakes needed. From 751 to 2000kg GTM you can have over ride brakes,

from 2001GTM up you must have electric brakes ON ALL TRAILER WHEELS

GTM means the weight on the axles but not the towball

Sorry what are over ride brakes?
" From 751 to 2000kg GTM you can have over ride brakes, "

My camper-trailer is 1200kg so I just want to know prior to buying an Amorak if I need to have electronic brakes fitted.

Ta

Hillbilly
11-03-2015, 12:27 PM
No you dont Overrides have a piece in the tow hitch that slides in and out and is attached to the brakes on the trailers hubs

Google is your friend but here you are Trailer Hire Adelaide - Trailer Override Coupling - Adelaide Trailer Hire (http://www.adelaidetrailerhire.com/override-coupling.html)

Does your trailer have brakes and a pair of cables going up to the A frame. If not it needs them and if a commercially built camper should have them

Hughjarse
02-05-2015, 06:33 PM
If towing something over 750, it must have brakes; usually drum brakes.

Rental trailers have a mechanical system whereby as the trailer moves forward against the braking tow vehicle, it activates the trailer brakes.

The most common system is electric brakes. These are hooked up via the normal trailer wiring and when you touch the towing vehicle's brakes the trailer brakes are activated. they are adjustable because at low speed you want moderate braking force from the trailer/caravan, and a much larger force when doing say 90km/h.

Hillbilly
02-05-2015, 07:06 PM
If towing something over 750, it must have brakes; usually drum brakes.

Rental trailers have a mechanical system whereby as the trailer moves forward against the braking tow vehicle, it activates the trailer brakes.

The most common system is electric brakes. These are hooked up via the normal trailer wiring and when you touch the towing vehicle's brakes the trailer brakes are activated. they are adjustable because at low speed you want moderate braking force from the trailer/caravan, and a much larger force when doing say 90km/h.

Already said all that and the thread is nearly 2 months old now. You didnt mention to get the electric brakes to work you need to fit a brake controller in the vehicle.