PDA

View Full Version : Yeti 4x4 tyre thread

Greg Roles
24-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Ok lads,

I've been looking at options for some proper offroad ATR style tyres, and wondered if anyone has found a good compromise. There's no way I can fit anything to the 17" rims ( sadly ) so it's a swap down to 16" rims. The very lowest profile ATR I can find anywhere is the Cooper Tyres AT3 and the Yoko AT/S Geolander at 60 series. The excellent sounding Pirelli Scoprion only comes in at 65 series, which is getting big for the Skoda wheel wells. The Cooper AT3 has some horrific wet tarmac reviews, so it seems the Yoko is the only option for now unless some obscure brand like Vredestein has something. The hunt continues.

After spending a week reading 4x4 tyre reviews ( which almost rival "which ecu tune" threads in volatility ) it seems all these tyres come in normal tread depth and construction, and light truck, with pretty much double the tread depth, and stronger carcass construction. I figure that the normal construction ATR style will be fine for the Yeti, which is limited in it's offroad ability by ground clearance etc in the first place. Lots of threads end up pointing out the bad reviews are people running the normal construction on proper 4x4's and getting flats etc, whereas the light truck tyres obviously last a lot longer and flat a lot less if at all. They do weigh an absolute ton though if you look at the weights!!

My next step is to get a suitable 16" rim and try and get a stuffed 60 series tyre put on it, to see how it clears the body, suspension and will it turn ok. There's not much clearance behind the front wheels to the body, so I don't think something like this will fit - sadly!

gldgti
24-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Also light truck tyres are pretty horrible comfort wise - they have extremely rigid sidewalls.

I might be wrong, but I dont Maxxis do a tyre in that range too?

unrealshots
24-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I ran Toyo Transpath MP3s on my Forester, and they went everywhere I took the car...

Mud, Sand, river crossings... Was very impressed as they are s people mover tyre...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bluey
28-02-2015, 06:58 AM
Worth having a look over at BRISKODA - Skoda Forums (http://www.briskoda.net/forums/‎). I had read a lot there about tyres/rims in the land where Yeti's are well regarded in the British mud/slush/snow. 16" rims were recommended for off road for the reasons you describe.