PDA

View Full Version : R36 Exhaust - anyone with experience out there? ARQAY or others?

dannyjak
16-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Hi gang

I'd like to get the R32-like sound from my R36. When I drove the R32, the sound was terrific, and I understand that the R36 is bit more toned down as its more a family orientated car than a hot hatch type car.

I don't really need a shiny cat-back exhaust with fantastic welds, or something that will improve performance (exhausts on an NA dont yield noticeable gains in my experience). Hence I think an iPE or Supersprint might be overkill, especially given the expense. Also want to avoid any drone potential as well with changed resonators/mid-mufflers.

Not looking a low/deep hollow sound. BUT I do love that "raspy-ness" and slight crackle that the R32 stock exhaust gives out. Willing to just do a rear muffler change only but not quite sure whether Ill get the sound I am looking for.

What has been the experience with other R36 owners out there? has anyone managed to do a muffler only change to achieve the kind of sound I am after?

Another option (considerably more expensive) is an Arqay cat back exhaust. I know a couple of guys on here have used them or are using them, with the general feedback being it is a bit loud even though they're under 90db and Japanese JASMA approved. Although "loud" is also very subjective. Can anyone shed some more light on Arqay exhausts on the R36?

Thanks so much

b j p
16-02-2015, 01:59 PM
I think you'll find all the pre-fab exhausts are either expensive or you'll end up being unhappy with. Best option is to head down to your local performance exhaust shop and have a chat to the guys. My guess is, it will probably take you a few attempts to get the note you're looking for, everyone likes something different.

I'm going to be doing mine soon, and will be starting first with removing or replacing some the ridiculous number of cats, hotdogs, suitcases and mufflers that are on the stock system. I'm not looking for something ridiculously loud, but the stock car has more engine noise than exhaust which is a little boring. From what I've read, standard they have a 2.5" system, which for an N/A car should be fine. I'll let you know how I get on.

4paw
16-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Try this link:http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f27/arqray-power-100743.html

I had this to say on my Arqay exhaust a while back

4paw

dannyjak
17-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks, be interested to know how you go, keen to see AND hear results

dannyjak
17-02-2015, 04:36 PM
4paw: I saw that, what are your thoughts on the Arqay? too loud for every day?

4paw
17-02-2015, 05:08 PM
4paw: I saw that, what are your thoughts on the Arqay? too loud for every day?

No not at all, we had a 2 year old at the time that had no problem falling asleep in the back :)

tinto
17-02-2015, 07:28 PM
I didn't go off the shelf.

I had the two back mufflers removed and replaced with 3" stainless straight through pipe in a bolt-on/bolt-off config so I could swap it back.
Was fun for a while but it is back to stock now - car is so peaceful to drive.

At freeway speed in 6th it wasn't fun due to drone (had to drop to 5th then it was silent), but the sound getting up to freeway speed was absolutely spectacular. The crack between gears (not a pop - a stepped double-CRACK!) was hilariously entertaining.
If I was tackling it again I'd probably do something custom with the mid muffler rather than the rears to try to tame that drone at 100kph.

Fwiw, my kids fell asleep just fine in the drone zone!
And they laughed very loud as we ripped up to the legal limit ;)

3C4M Guy
23-02-2015, 09:25 PM
There's quite a few clips on YouTube showing off the Supersprint exhaust system on Passats. Such as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQDSewqE1gM and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8h4ErY8KY

For me, this system sounds the best, but it's possibly the most expensive. However it would probably avoid making a mistake such as not being able to live with it. Supersprint even seem to have an Australian importer:
Supersprint Australia – performance exhaust systems (http://www.supersprintexhaust.com.au/)

By the way, I test drove a used R36 with a standard exhaust and the drumming/buffeting sound inside the cabin at idle was terrible and headache-producing. Hopefully this example was not typical of all R36s.

Elmura
04-04-2015, 07:58 AM
From what I've read and heard in videos, all the mufflers are tuned resonators. Each will reduce drone & noise at different frequency. I believe the bigger ones are for lower Bass resonance. So deleting any of the three rear ones will generate more done.
Do NOT delete the cat converters! They are crucial to the ECU and will cause problems. And comes with a big fine if caught!

Whilst I have not heard what it sounds like (or read) for deleting the front two small hotdog resonators, I believe they will give more rasp without the ~2000 rpm drone.
And being the closest to the engine, will cause more restriction than the other 3 so have the most potential for a top end power boost.