PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy Caddy

lemi
13-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys,

My Caddy just got written off due to hail damage.

I would like to buy one again but just wanted to see everyone thinks of 1.6 7 speed DSG?

I know about the recall, but once that is done, is it a reliable gearbox?

Thanks

Lemi

wai
14-02-2015, 06:35 AM
I have a Caddy Maxi Life 1.6 litre TDI250. No real problems other than the attitude of VW and its dealers. One thing you do want to check is the high level brake light. It is a known fault and cracks. A replacement from a dealer will cost up to $200 for a supply and fit. or you can buy it on e-bay and fit it yourself for under $50, depending on who you get it from.

lemi
16-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Funny you should say that, cause mine is broken and the Caddy I had a look at today also had a broken one.

No issues with the gearbox being the 7 speed especially with the maxi?

wai
16-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Funny you should say that, cause mine is broken and the Caddy I had a look at today also had a broken one.

No issues with the gearbox being the 7 speed especially with the maxi?

Not really. You drive it differently to a standard torque converter auto, but otherwise it is quite straightforward. I have done around 50,000 km on mine.

The recall was to replace the mechatronics unit and oil as the oil used caused an electrolytic reaction with the metal particles resulting in an electrical short circuit. This opened both clutches so you had no drive.

On the high level brake light, despite the numbers of cracked brake lights, VW still refuse to publicly acknowledge there is a design fault with them.

Here's an idea. If you are buying from a dealer, get them to issue you with a lifetime free replacement guarantee on the high level brake light. It's not impact damage as it would cause other damage as well. If they claim there is nothing wrong, then they should be happy to give that guarantee as there should never be a claim...right?

lemi
22-02-2015, 07:28 AM
Sounds right but they will never agree to that.

Still looking for Caddy...

Lemi