PDA

View Full Version : Hopeful r36 owner..

drZ
10-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Hi all,

Just joined the forums not an hour ago. used to have a mkV golf but now in an e92 bmw.
Am hoping to get some advise re purchasing an R36 wagon for the wifey in the ACT. mileage 65kms, silver, rns510, reverse camera and full service history with last one done 60k service and next one due 79k..So maybe some forumers may be able to help me with a few info?

when starting the car, it was my first time having a push start to get the car turning so it didnt start the first time - next time around it started easily and no issues. How do I tell if a problem is there eg fuel pump or injector etc?

tested the dsg from park to drive and then reverse - no shudders - so i assume its fine

didnt check if all the electronics were working - which ones are known to cause problems eg radio or nav or seats or windows?

the tyres are relatively new so difficult to say if there was a problem with the axle/suspension/haldex - any other way to check this?

PPI - is it necessary? and who should I get in ACT to do it? tried calling vw centre tuggeranong and left a voicemail but no reply..anyone else?? how much do they cost?

I realise all my questions above may all be answered with just having a PPI but if there are things I can check myself I might be able to save some bucks? but dont want to assume so and then end up spending heaps on repairs..

Anyway nice to be back in the veedub community and hope to be useful in some way to contribute in the future!!

drZ
10-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Oh and some tips for first few mods would be nice too..thanks :D

Rolls
11-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Hi drZ,

Welcome. I too have recently purchased an R36.

I purchased interstate (i'm in NSW - seller was QLD)

I know and love my cars but I am not a mechanic. For me, the main thing was a PPI as if I'd seen the car in person and drove it, unless there were rattles and knocking sounds, I would think it would be fine!

I thought the PPI would be necessary as it covers the full history INCLUDING police reports going back onto the VIN/Number plate.
If you don't think this is important then at the end of the day, grab someone from ACT with the VAGCOM cable to do a scan and ensure there are no errors - OR errors that is easily fixed.

Also - if car is being purchased from private, make sure you find out if it is financed as you don't want to be paying someone else's finance if you'd already paid for the car.

drZ
11-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks mate. I just need someone in the ACT to book a PPi now but don't know who though.

Anyone else can help???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamold
11-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Get Dean down there if you can:

VW Mobile Servicing| Volkswagen| Audi| Skoda| Mobile| Mechanic (http://vwmobileservicing.wix.com/home)

drZ
11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
thanks kamold..I've sent him an email..will call him tomorow..

drZ
23-02-2015, 10:04 PM
So a bit of an update

Test drove the 36 today for about half an hour. Noted a few small things

There is a bit of a slow start of the line with the r36 when cruising around town and suddenly it bursts like an animal. I saw on the dash to left of centre pod an S mark - does this mean it's set up at sport mode? How do I come off it then?

The driver side window won't auto wind up when all others do and down works normally. Electrical error or normal?

The boot hatch release button on the driver door doesn't work. Does it only work when the car is fitted with electric tailgate? Is it an expensive aftermarket install? Anyone done it?

The exhaust tips are pretty bad, mostly on the right side with dark plaque and possibly a bit of the chrome finish flaking off. Should I be concerned? I was hoping to change tips to slightly bigger diameter anyway with Matt metal finish in the future

The driver side bolster is diminished. It's nearly completely flat. Is it a big job to reupholster?

There is a bit of the bodywork not meeting together properly between the front bumper and fender. The national reg check clears the car from any accidents. Should be an easy fix

Lastly the exhaust note on these things are intoxicating. Loved every minute of being in the car. Said to wifey even the fact I got to test drive it today as enough to whet my appetite in case she didn't like the car but surprisingly she does. Only comment she made was its bit boxy compared to our current mazda6 wagon hehee

I assume the 60k service includes the mechatronics dsg service. Is it legal to call up the dealer to ask if the last service included this or is it a bit cheeky?

Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passat R36
24-02-2015, 04:15 PM
The silver one with r32 steering wheel? It's now sold.

kleung
25-02-2015, 09:46 AM
I saw on the dash to left of centre pod an S mark - does this mean it's set up at sport mode? How do I come off it then?

Where exactly are you seeing this S? If it's at the top left corner of the MFD, then it's probably actually the compass display from the satnav telling you you're facing south. If you have the gear selector in the 'S' position, you should see an S appear next to the 'selected gear' indicator. This is assuming the R36 you are looking at is a later model with the white MFD, as opposed to the red.

The driver side window won't auto wind up when all others do and down works normally. Electrical error or normal?

It may need recalibration. The procedure is to close all the doors and windows, then for the affected window, pull the switch up, and hold it there for more than 1 second. Then release, and pull up again. According to the manual, this should restore the auto up/down function. If it still doesn't work, there may be a fault somewhere.

The boot hatch release button on the driver door doesn't work. Does it only work when the car is fitted with electric tailgate?

Unless you have an electric tailgate fitted, the boot release button in the driver's door just activates the boot release handle on the tailgate if the doors are locked (but not deadlocked). Same with the boot release button on the remote, except that will undeadlock the car as well if it's deadlocked.

I assume the 60k service includes the mechatronics dsg service. Is it legal to call up the dealer to ask if the last service included this or is it a bit cheeky?

By default, the DSG should be serviced at the 60,000km service. The other biggie is the haldex coupling, which is either serviced at the 60,000km or 45,000km service.

drZ
25-02-2015, 10:36 AM
The silver one with r32 steering wheel? It's now sold.

Didnt notice an r32 steeing wheel. I'm pretty sure regular r36..what's the difference could you tell me? But if you're referring to the silver R36 from ACT, then yes..its sold..to me?!!:banana:yippee..made a deal yesterday and just sorting out finance etc now

Where exactly are you seeing this S? If it's at the top left corner of the MFD, then it's probably actually the compass display from the satnav telling you you're facing south. If you have the gear selector in the 'S' position, you should see an S appear next to the 'selected gear' indicator. This is assuming the R36 you are looking at is a later model with the white MFD, as opposed to the red.

It may need recalibration. The procedure is to close all the doors and windows, then for the affected window, pull the switch up, and hold it there for more than 1 second. Then release, and pull up again. According to the manual, this should restore the auto up/down function. If it still doesn't work, there may be a fault somewhere.

Unless you have an electric tailgate fitted, the boot release button in the driver's door just activates the boot release handle on the tailgate if the doors are locked (but not deadlocked). Same with the boot release button on the remote, except that will undeadlock the car as well if it's deadlocked.

By default, the DSG should be serviced at the 60,000km service. The other biggie is the haldex coupling, which is either serviced at the 60,000km or 45,000km service.

thanks for the reply mate. this definitely helps. the S mark is the compass as you've pointed out. I guess its just getting used to the DSG now. will recalibrate the windows when I bring home the car. and also thanks for the tip on the boot release. it makes sense now as the car doesnt have the electric tailgate.

tried calling dealer yesterday re service - they assured me the car has undergone major service at 60k but due to confidentiality cannot elaborate :rolleyes:

will post pics once I get the car home..

thanks again all

Passat R36
25-02-2015, 11:52 AM
congrats! but it's is a R32 steering wheel, if it is R36 I saw on carsales

Below is R36 steering wheel: