PDA

View Full Version : Yeti capable 4WD tracks

Ryeman
08-02-2015, 07:09 AM
For those who are tempted to try designated 'tracks' I thought it would be handy to have a list that has been conquered by a Yeti so that others might feel like trying with perhaps a difficulty rating in avoiding damage.
The Whitfied - Lake Buffalo road has been downgraded to 4WD status and enables an interesting scenic shortcut for Mansfield - Myrtleford travellers via Powers Lookout (a must). I'd rate it 2 dry 6 wet with std tyres.
If we get a significant list maybe it can be shown on a State basis.

grtuned
08-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Everybody would be surprised on how well the Yeti handles off road situations with a basic haldex system. I've been lucky enough to take one through a place called boggy hole in the NT, only a 5km track from the main road but a great drive. I recommend a steel under tray to stop sand getting up into seals on the transfer case this was the only issue we had a small leak had developed but nothing major. Another tip is to turn off all assist systems to help get through the sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob1959
11-02-2015, 07:20 PM
There are lots of Yeti capable tracks around here in Coffs Harbour.
Cheers, Rob.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/IMG_5655-1.jpg (http://s616.photobucket.com/user/hazmat5765/media/IMG_5655.jpg.html)

Greg Roles
13-02-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm doing my Yeti best around Beerburrum on the Sunny Coast, and apart from big chewed out mud holes, no dramas so far. I am however hammering the plastic A pillar windscreen covers from overhanging branches, they need some clear armour on them, but are already pretty stuffed.

I'll be putting on some HT tyres - somehow - later this year, the 9000's stock are great on the tar, but become slicks in 2 seconds in mud.

Gonna have a crack at Bribie soon, and then Double Island Point with some bigger 4x4 mates who can tow me out if I get centre hump bogged on the access tracks. Clearance is the issue, haldex is very clever.

Rob1959
13-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I'll be interested to see how those H/T tyres go Greg, keep us posted.
Cheers, Rob.

vwpolo
14-02-2015, 06:54 PM
i have a 4motion tiguan and willing to travel with anybody on day trips from sydney , i also have a facebook page and group nsw softroader touring . and touring nsw softroader style
feel free to join or invite me on trips..

Rob1959
15-02-2015, 10:59 PM
i have a 4motion tiguan and willing to travel with anybody on day trips from sydney , i also have a facebook page and group nsw softroader touring . and touring nsw softroader style
feel free to join or invite me on trips..
Done and...........done!
Rob.

vwpolo
16-02-2015, 08:22 PM
great to have you on board hope to get together for a trip some time

Rob1959
17-02-2015, 08:39 AM
great to have you on board hope to get together for a trip some time
**thumbs up to that**
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/IMG_1880-1.jpg (http://s616.photobucket.com/user/hazmat5765/media/IMG_1880.jpg.html)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/DSC_0293-1.jpg (http://s616.photobucket.com/user/hazmat5765/media/DSC_0293.jpg.html)

vwpolo
17-02-2015, 11:48 AM
with these great shots and the look of some of these tracks im wanting to travel back out of sydney and get to the north coast more and more

Ryeman
22-02-2015, 06:59 PM
The poms are into 'winter' tyres for their snow/ice conditions and wouldn't mind an A/T type for the nasty crushed rock rd/track conditions but I'm not sure about the 'legalities' eg reg/insurance.
Anybody got a second set for the nasties.
Craig's hut (Mt Buller) is what I'm looking at as it seems like it might be Yetiable.

Ryeman
22-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Everybody would be surprised on how well the Yeti handles off road situations with a basic haldex system. I've been lucky enough to take one through a place called boggy hole in the NT, only a 5km track from the main road but a great drive. I recommend a steel under tray to stop sand getting up into seals on the transfer case this was the only issue we had a small leak had developed but nothing major. Another tip is to turn off all assist systems to help get through the sand.

The High Country rocky ledges are my biggest worry - the plastic under trays wouldn't last at all.

unrealshots
22-02-2015, 08:48 PM
You can get to Craig's Hut in a falcon, so the Yeti will be fine!

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Ryeman
22-02-2015, 09:01 PM
You can get to Craig's Hut in a falcon, so the Yeti will be fine!

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I didn't think it was at all hardcore but not THAT wimpy!

unrealshots
23-02-2015, 07:20 AM
LOL... The Yeti should be able to go everywhere a stock Forester can go, give or take 5mm of ground clearance...

We did the Simpson about ten years ago with unmodified cars

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ryeman
23-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Jagged rocks are thin on the ground in most of the 'outback' but are the big 'high country' threat.

joel0407
23-02-2015, 11:59 AM
I can add Gunlom Falls in Kakadu to the list. There was a late model SS Comodore coming out as I was going in though.

I'll have to dig up an old video when I had a mate struggling to keep up in his 100 series. It was all very slow and pretty smooth but there was a very sharp switch back bend at the bottom and top of the hill. The sharp full steering lock bend at the bottom of the hill meant there was no chance at a run up and the flat track onto the steep pinch meant opposite wheels were lifted. The Yeti did it with ease with traction control but the 100 series struggled with open diffs.

Happy Days

Ryeman
23-02-2015, 12:06 PM
I can add Gunlom Falls in Kakadu to the list. There was a late model SS Comodore coming out as I was going in though.

I'll have to dig up an old video when I had a mate struggling to keep up in his 100 series. It was all very slow and pretty smooth but there was a very sharp switch back bend at the bottom and top of the hill. The sharp full steering lock bend at the bottom of the hill meant there was no chance at a run up and the flat track onto the steep pinch meant opposite wheels were lifted. The Yeti did it with ease with traction control but the 100 series struggled with open diffs.

Happy Days
Yeah, I've heard stories of 'hard' being embarrassed by a 'soft' Yeti. :-))))

Ryeman
19-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Well we got to Craig's Hut without any grounding and then came down via Bindaree Falls, Sheepyard Flats and Howqua....great day and well worth it.

vwpolo
26-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Well we got to Craig's Hut without any grounding and then came down via Bindaree Falls, Sheepyard Flats and Howqua....great day and well worth it.

have you got any pics of the trip , im looking at taking the tiguan there in easter break if all goes well

Ryeman
26-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Nah!
I predate social media/selfies by too many decades.
The biggest risk relates to vulnerable low profile 'performance' tyres getting staked or cut.
You ford a stream to get from Bindaree Falls to Howqua Hills so best before sig rain otherwise no problems and ends up a round trip avoiding the tourist road altogether.
If yr into camping Sheepyard Flats/Howqua Hills looks good but I guess popular also.

vwpolo
26-03-2015, 04:31 PM
ok no worries ive got all terrain dualers on my tiguan in light truck construction so should be all good there . i always use a water blind on the tiguan for any water deeper then the bottom of the number plate .i tow an old vintage caravan so no good for any off road camping .

Ryeman
26-03-2015, 04:43 PM
I was thinking of a set of steels with 215/65/16s ATs which would make the speedo more accurate I'm thinking.

vwpolo
26-03-2015, 07:11 PM
that is the standard size for the tiguan so the only difference is the overall size due to tread depth

Ryeman
26-03-2015, 07:36 PM
The only actual 4WD section is the Craig's Hut access track - the Falls - Sheepyard Flats is just gnarly.