PDA

View Full Version : Touareg 2011-on low range into Amarok

Volkarok
07-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Hi guys and gals.

I am a regular poster at the AusAmarok forum which contains a lot of fellow Volkswagon enthusiasts. A few of us are investigating the possibility of swapping a Touareg 2011-on low range transfer case into an auto Amarok. The manual rok (amarok) has low range from the factory but the auto does not. Are there people on this forum interested in helping out with information and ideas?

idaho
07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Aren't the autos different? Touareg = Aisin auto while Amarok = ZF auto, which suggests it might not be a straightforward bolt-on.

Volkarok
07-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Oh. Thats news to us. We have only just begun investigating our options.

Since the torsens are possibly the same except for the low range bit, maybe the gearbox's are adapted to the transfer and are the same or similar?

Of course it could be the other way, the transfers could be adapted to the autos, which would mean more work.

We are keen on pictures, even of the unit when in a vehicle would be a step forward.

We have wondered if the discovery or grand cherokee could be options.

Darks RS
07-02-2015, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty sure our Amaroks and MY11 Toerags both have the ZF box.

Volkarok
07-02-2015, 08:32 PM
According to this review, the 2011-on model does use a ZF, the same 8spd as in the rok . . .

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/cfcd28545cde721d1de779c42e2923de-1.jpg

idaho
08-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Well, VW seem to think it has an Aisin auto in it. VW SSP466 (Self Study Program) is for the gearbox (there is an English language version on a south African website) and it says Aisin. SSP469 has the transfer case without center-diff lock and SSP302 has the transfer case with centre-diff lock.

Edit: Additionally, SSP507 appears to be the Amarok auto info.

Volkarok
09-02-2015, 11:42 AM
I was under the impression the lockable and unlockable transfers were in the previous reg models? The torsen transfer we are interested in has self applying clutch packs. It was only available in the top shelf reg in australia.

idaho
09-02-2015, 01:52 PM
That Amarok SSP for the auto says the Amarok transfer with self-locking centre diff (Torsen) is basically the same as in the 2011 onwards Touareg. Whether they interchange is not mentioned. The only Touareg transfer from 2011 with low range is from the 4XMotion and that has a mechanical centre diff lock controlled with a stepper motor on the transfer case. I think the stepper motor controls both low range and the diff lock so the options are high range, low range, low range with centre diff locked.

In my previous post my reference to centre diff lock referred to the mechanical lock, not the self locking torsen type.

Volkarok
09-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I am sorry if i am being a bit slow here, i thought i knew at least a few things from my research, but now what i thought i knew is being contradicted almost everywhere. I will endeavour to check out those ssp's.

I previously read that the reg torque split was 38:62 (?) and was changed (in 2011(?)) to 40:60, like in the rok?

Transporter
09-02-2015, 11:42 PM
I've 8speed auto in my Amarok and finding it quite adequate for my off road driving - no need for the low range gear. If I were to spend any money to improve its off road capability, it would be on the front axle's diff.

Volkarok
10-02-2015, 11:36 AM
I've 8speed auto in my Amarok and finding it quite adequate for my off road driving - no need for the low range gear. If I were to spend any money to improve its off road capability, it would be on the front axle's diff.
I thought that too until i found it wouldnt reverse a few times, especially since that happened in situations in which i couldnt go forwards. It was caused by torque limiting to protect the gearbox. The settings can be changed, but low range would be better.

Volkarok
10-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Here is a link to the thread in the Amarok site:

Auto with Low range? (http://www.ausamarok.com.au/forum/showthread.php/6686-Auto-with-Low-range)

I will be looking into the ssp's as soon as i have more spare time.

Volkarok
11-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Well, VW seem to think it has an Aisin auto in it. VW SSP466 (Self Study Program) is for the gearbox (there is an English language version on a south African website) and it says Aisin. SSP469 has the transfer case without center-diff lock and SSP302 has the transfer case with centre-diff lock.

Edit: Additionally, SSP507 appears to be the Amarok auto info.
Hi Idaho.

I have not yet been successful in gaining access to these ssp's in english. If you have any further suggestions please advise. Cheers.

Volkarok
11-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I downloaded "Scribd" and have been able to check out ssp 507, but no luck with the others yet.

Volkarok
12-02-2015, 01:02 PM
I have now read ssp302. So the low range and lockable touareg transfer is constant 4wd with an open centre diff, and you can either lock the centre diff in high range, or engage low range which will also necessarily engage the centre diff lock?

Does the touareg with low range and a non locking transfer simply have an open centre diff?

idaho
13-02-2015, 10:32 AM
From reading of the SSP's and a Media presentation of the 2011 model I found on the net a while ago, my understanding is that the 4xMotion Transfer controller has the following modes; High range with open centre (On Road on the switch), High Range with automatic control of centre diff lock (Off Road on the switch), Low Range with automatic control of the centre diff (Low on the switch), Low Range with locked centre diff (lock on the switch), Low Range with locked centre and rear diffs (for those markets with the rear diff lock fitted).

I cannot tell from the SSP if it is possible to fully lock the centre diff in high range, but if it is possible it would appear to require a different controller to the factory unit which offers automatic control only in high range. Low range is available with automatic control of the centre diff or locked depending on the switch selection.

I don't know of any Touareg with low range and non-locking transfer. Where have you seen that?

Volkarok
13-02-2015, 11:01 AM
SSP469 has the transfer case without center-diff lock and SSP302 has the transfer case with centre-diff lock.

Are you saying that when you referred to the ssp469 and the transfer without a centre diff lock, that it does not have low range? I have not yet been able to view that ssp.

So, is there only one post 2011 low range touareg option, or more?

Volkarok
13-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Okay, i think i am with you now. With all the bad info i got from elsewhere in the beginning, and thinking this would all be easier, i am making quite a hash of things.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/752c51af641ca7c242a04c3cd0d4f29d-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/02/ae46d2279dd3b8aba36c5ae959b6c9d7-1.jpg

idaho
13-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Are you saying that when you referred to the ssp469 and the transfer without a centre diff lock, that it does not have low range? I have not yet been able to view that ssp.

So, is there only one post 2011 low range touareg option, or more?

Correct. SSP469 gives an explanation of the 4Motion transfer (which was new to the 2011 Touareg) which appears to be the same as in your automatic Amarok, albeit that in the Touareg it is behind an Aisin auto while in the Amarok it is behind a ZF auto.

SSP469 also refers to the 4xMotion transfer (now an option in the 2011 Touareg) and mentions the differences to the pre-2011 version. The main difference being the change in torque split from 50:50 to 38:62.