PDA

View Full Version : Information on GIAC chip for MkIII VR6

kai_h
01-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Here's a bit of info, for anyone who's curious, about the GIAC chip I had installed in my 96 VR6:

From memory (and this is going back three years or more) it's a square package with legs on the side that fold down underneath it. It's designed to either be a surface-mount (which it was for the original one) or placed in a socket (which the GIAC chip is)

In order to install it, the original chip was desoldered, and a socket was put in it's place. The socket has some kind of key, as the GIAC chip is encrypted, and won't work on a bare board (or in a chip reader, supposedly) and has to have the bridge-board in order to function.
So, no, it's not a regular, rectangular EEPROM with a window on top of it. I believe it's some kind of PIC or PLC type chip, with a CPU and RAM and all that on board, I think the chip functions as the main controller, and also has the microcode burned into it as well, but I'm just guessing here.

As for the difference - not a huge amount. More torque at low revolutions which is nice, but subtle. Raised redline, so you can hit 100km/h in 2nd gear before the rev limiter cuts in =) and slightly better fuel economy when driven sensibly - enough that over a couple of years, the chip paid for itself in fuel...

I'm currently looking for a chip for my Bora 4Motion as well, but have received quoted of over $1k for some of them. The chip for the Golf VR6 was less than $400 from memory, and at this price point, it's worth it. For the minor gains (5-8kW at best) $1,000 is not good value for money.

golfvr6
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
thanks for the info kai -

the giac is the one i looked at a few years ago - then lost interest - always wondered whether it was worth the $400+ plus the fact i had to desolder myself at that stage - i think the newer vr6s - you can popit out without solder??

did you get yours here in oz?

with the fuel prices as they are - maybe i can con myself to get one based on that! :lol:

kai_h
01-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I got mine done through Euroclass here in Melbourne, but if you get in touch with Bug_racer (either here, or on the vortex) he is (I believe) the GIAC dealer for NSW.
He should also be able to handle the installation - at least my installation was all done for me... they removed the ECU, desoldered the chip, soldered on the socket and plugged in the new chip and then away I went...