PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades?

dogfood
01-06-2006, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone, great forum by the way. Wondered if any of you lot could help me out. Ive got a 16v SEAT ibiza, which in my opinion is a bit sluggish till 3rd gear. Been thinkin bout a lightened flyheel or an ecu firstly, and then possibly a sports exhaust. Id realy like to keep the car looking(and sounding) as standard as poss, so an exhaust would be, for me, a last resort, although its probably the most effective mod. I guess the drawback of a lightened flywheel is the loss of torque, but maybe its possible to machine it so's not to lose too much? Id realy appreciate any feedback, especialy on choosing ecu's . Sorry if i missed this topic elsewhere. im kinda new to this intanet thing.

imported_brackie
01-06-2006, 06:13 AM
G'day and welcome! You should find the right advice here. If you want to look at topics that you missed, they are all archived. Just click on "Search" under the header and away you go!

Valver.
01-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Hello everyone, great forum by the way. Wondered if any of you lot could help me out. Ive got a 16v SEAT ibiza, which in my opinion is a bit sluggish till 3rd gear. Been thinkin bout a lightened flyheel or an ecu firstly, and then possibly a sports exhaust. Id realy like to keep the car looking(and sounding) as standard as poss, so an exhaust would be, for me, a last resort, although its probably the most effective mod. I guess the drawback of a lightened flywheel is the loss of torque, but maybe its possible to machine it so's not to lose too much? Id realy appreciate any feedback, especialy on choosing ecu's . Sorry if i missed this topic elsewhere. im kinda new to this intanet thing.

You're better off asking this on www.seatcupra.net as there's a lot more Cupra owners on there!! Handsdown the best mods you can make are a lightened flywheel and 3.94:1 final drive (from a 3.65).

The stock flywheel is a G60 one and weighs 22lbs :shock: You can safely machine it to twelve. You don't lose torque, but some inertia (in short, there's less weight on the flywheel to hold momentum and spin the crankshaft around, so the motor will drop revs faster).

All depends how much you want to spend re where you go from here - next steps are big $$ for a real improvement :shock:

There are a whole bunch of ECU chips available; most claim to give around 15hp for several hundred Euros, so you decide if it's worthwhile :)

Cupras are great value now, though :twisted:

Golf Loon
01-06-2006, 09:18 AM
There are Seat owners on here Valver. I love em.

How about a sports air filter and then probably some extractors. I`d get it breathing right first.

Also find out your gearbox code, as if you use a Mk2 Golf 16v box it is an improvement over some of the seat ones and will enable you to accelerate quicker.

Welcome to our forum.

TassieGTi
01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
There are Seat owners on here Valver. I love em.

How about a sports air filter and then probably some extractors. I`d get it breathing right first.

Also find out your gearbox code, as if you use a Mk2 Golf 16v box it is an improvement over some of the seat ones and will enable you to accelerate quicker.

Welcome to our forum.

He is talking about a Cupra (ABF 16V) :!: They use an 02A gerbox with mechanical cluth :wink: Mk2 16v gearbox is not going to be of much help :wink:
A lightened flywheel would help, but I doubt an air filter or extractors would do too much :?

Valver is the man to ask....he knows them inside out :D

Valver.
01-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Neither do much on the ABF. It's spoiled out of the box by the flywheel and massive gearing :evil:

I began to modify my old one with the stock flywheel and final drive and it would bog down in 1st gear even with 2,500rpm on the dial :roll:

This is why I soon realised you needed to do the gearing first. As soon as the cams go in and you lose some torque down low, it all goes up **** creek :oops:

Mine went really well in the end, but I would NEVER build up a tuned 16v for anything but a Mk1 Golf - they lose so much torque that the heavier shells just spoil everything :(

Even just machining the flywheel is like you gained another 20% more torque - that how bad the stock setup is!!

Even the grunter VR6 had a lighter stock flywheel (18lbs IIRC) :shock:

midget
01-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Yay another SEAT owner :)

enjoy your stay mate

dogfood
01-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks to all for your replies. I think i'll give the flywheel a shave, sounds to me like the way to go.

Golf Loon
02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah didn`t realize you have an ABF motor, thats a shame as you can`t change the geabox. The Golf gearbox is a good option for the 8v Seats.

golf3
02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
they lose so much torque that the heavier shells just spoil everything

Are you telling me i spent all this money on nothing.... :( :( :( :( :( :(

yer righto! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Valver.
02-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Haha! What I mean is, there's no point building one up fully unless it's going in a lighter car... or living at 9000rpm on the race track :twisted:

dogfood
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM

Haha! What I mean is, there's no point building one up fully unless it's going in a lighter car... or living at 9000rpm on the race track :twisted:
Kinel yeh, when you get the chance (and the time) to to rev em, goes like stink!

dogfood
02-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Right, so ive had a search through the site, im looking for someone who can machine my flywheel. In sydney if possible. Ive called a few people, i cant locate anyone who has done one before and i realy dont wanna risk any f##k ups. I know if its not balanced properly could get a bit ugly, so could anyone can point me in the right direction? Realy appreciate it. Pay in cash!