PDA

View Full Version : VCDS Mobile

wai
28-01-2015, 06:31 AM
G'day,

Came across an iPhone/iPad app called VCDS Mobile that allows scanning the system to check for error/fault codes.

The app is free, however the wireless transmitter/receiver that pligs into the OBD port has to be bought (much like the cable that plugs into a computer).

Anyone tried it?

DV52
15-03-2015, 06:44 PM
G'day,

Came across an iPhone/iPad app called VCDS Mobile that allows scanning the system to check for error/fault codes.

The app is free, however the wireless transmitter/receiver that pligs into the OBD port has to be bought (much like the cable that plugs into a computer).

Anyone tried it?

Wai: I assume that you are referring to the apps that require a separate dongle based on the ELM327 programmable microprocessor (you can buy the dongles in either Bluetooth or WIFI connect models). They are about $10 to $20 to buy and I purchased aWIFI unit from Ebay about a year ago.

I have to say that it's really a toy in comparison to the VCDS cable but it does't pretend to be a Ross-tech equivalent. The apps allow you to display ODBII data like: engine rpm, speed manifold temperateur, coolant temp etc. Some even claim to be an actual diagnostic tool, but you need to be wary of such claims. I had a passenger door control module error on my car and the ELM wasn't able to detect it

Conclusion - it's a fun thing to try, doesn't cost much - but don't be surprised if you end-up giving it away after about a week - I did!!

Horace01
15-03-2015, 07:00 PM
VCDS mobile is the software app you use when connected to an official Ross-tech HEX-Net dongle. It's the same as an official Ross-tech cable but the new wireless version.

This software will not work with an ELM327 dongle.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Mobile Preview (http://ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html)

DV52
15-03-2015, 09:26 PM
VCDS mobile is the software app you use when connected to an official Ross-tech HEX-Net dongle. It's the same as an official Ross-tech cable but the new wireless version.

This software will not work with an ELM327 dongle.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Mobile Preview (http://ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/index.html)

Horace: my bad, I assumed (incorrectly) that OP was referring to the ELM device. You are correct, the HEX-NET unit