PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Compound...

Jondarren
19-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Right, used the cutting compound to lift some of my faded paint work and it seemed to do the trick, but i think it's left a slight powdery residue on the panels. Washed it afterwards but still didn't shift it all.

Does anyone know the best wash, or process to remove the white chalky substance, and then a good polish to really bring the paint to life. Sadly i'm working with the dreaded red bodywork and we all know that doesn't take well in the Australian sunshine!

Cheers

Jon......

99gti
19-11-2007, 09:56 AM
You could try using a product like mothers clay to remove and residue left on the surface before you begin to polish and or wax the car.

Jarred
19-11-2007, 10:07 AM
what compound did you use out of curiosity? and did you do it by hand or with an electric buffer-machine-doover?

Jondarren
19-11-2007, 03:40 PM
what compound did you use out of curiosity? and did you do it by hand or with an electric buffer-machine-doover?

Ahh, the name eludes me at the moment, but i'll have a look tonight and let you know. Picked it up from Super Cheap Auto as they had no T-Cut. It was a green, gooey substance that you cut with 10% water and rub like a B*stard to get going. I did it by hand and it wasn't too painful but i reckon an electric buffer would be awesome.

I'll try that clay i think as i've heard only good things about it on this forum.

Cheers

Jon....

Jarred
19-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I was actually looking to do this too acutally since I'm on hols now and my paint is as dull as bill gates at the playboy mansion. I've heard you can 'burn' the paint by doing this treatment, but that warning was used for people using electric buffers (in a vid saw) Do you have before and after pics, It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Jondarren
20-11-2007, 08:04 AM
I was actually looking to do this too acutally since I'm on hols now and my paint is as dull as bill gates at the playboy mansion. I've heard you can 'burn' the paint by doing this treatment, but that warning was used for people using electric buffers (in a vid saw) Do you have before and after pics, It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Yeah i've heard that the paint can suffer but by hand you don't get the same level of pressure so it's not too bad. Didn't take any before shots sadly (i know, i know, silly me) but i'll let you know how it comes up once i've tried putty and then a polish/wax treatment.

I'm keen to experiment a bit as it's an older car and as the paint was pretty faded, its not like it could get any worse :)

Soundofav6
20-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I had a really dull patch, infact the patch looked grey on burgundy colour car, very obvious on the rear panel. I have use claybar, auto glympolish, megaire tech wax, megaire gloss wax.

Nothing worked until I tried auto glym Paint Retorator (a true cutting compound), a resonable 17 bucks worked miricles !! I should have took before and after shot, got a bit excited after a little test patch.....then went all the way. :D Give it a go.

In stead of using electric buffer, I got the megiare polish pads 5 bucks for 2 circular pads "last for ages rememebr to wash after every use", you can have much more control over tigh corners.

BlackVr6ix
20-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Paint Renovator is a brilliant product, however they have a better product that is a all in one, its basically a combination of Paint Renovator (Pink Label), Super Resin Polish (Red Label) and Extra Gloss Protection(Gold Label), called Ultra Deep Shine (Black Label).

If you need alot try and get the trade pack of Supreme Polish(Purple Label) as it works out MUCH cheaper and is just about the stuff as the Ultra Deep Shine.

Soundofav6
20-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Paint Renovator is a brilliant product, however they have a better product that is a all in one, its basically a combination of Paint Renovator (Pink Label), Super Resin Polish (Red Label) and Extra Gloss Protection(Gold Label), called Ultra Deep Shine (Black Label).

If you need alot try and get the trade pack of Supreme Polish(Purple Label) as it works out MUCH cheaper and is just about the stuff as the Ultra Deep Shine.

Man I wish you were the one serving me at autobarn, I would have come back and recommened a service award to your boss! I asked the sales the diffeence between SRP and Ultra Deep Shine. Guess what I got. " SRP is for old cars and UDP is for new cars. " :rolleyes:I raised one eyebrow and left.

BlackVr6ix
20-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Happy to be of service :D in future PM me before you go and i'll help you out with the correct product/s for what you want to do.

Soundofav6
20-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Happy to be of service :D in future PM me before you go and i'll help you out with the correct product/s for what you want to do.

So how much does the supreme polish sale for in vic ? Actually I have't seen that up here...

Sorry to be intruding your thread Jondarren, may be some relevance:?
One last thing Balck.. english essay for you.

"Waxing is redundant as Super Resin Polish has already overly beautified the car " Discuss in relations to Auto glym product, perhaps link to realvance of the thread. ;)

BlackVr6ix
20-11-2007, 09:51 AM
From memory its ~$50 for a 1 litre bottle.

Thats a load.... every single car can and WILL benefit from a PROPER carnauba based wax.

Autogylm products are fantastic dont get me wrong and you can do away with waxing if you are cleaning your car every week using the three step (wash, super resin polish, extra gloss protection) but this becomes a very expensive proposition.

I wax my car with mothers carnauba wax once every 2-3 months and all that is necessary is for me to visit my local DIY car wash and i do the following:

1) place one dollar coin in slot and select high pressure soap spray.
2) spray car all over and switch to wheel cleaner and spray all rims quickly.
3) place second dollar in slot and select high pressure water
4) spray car and rims down
5) drive out and chamois dry

and if i feel generous i'll go over the car with super resin polish.

rinse and repeat once a week.

However returning to the relevance of this thread, The OP may find that if he uses UDS or the SP he may need to apply it 3-4 times to have a permanent deep glossy finish.

Soundofav6
20-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Super Polish would be next on the list : > Thanks for recommending.

BlackVr6ix
20-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Happy to help

Jondarren
20-11-2007, 11:02 AM

Fantastic info. I think i'll get myself a bottle of this and give it a go. If it's as good as it sounds, my faded red panels should be shining in no time. I was going to try a body colour wax but you've changed my mind.

Glad this thread can bring out the best in our cars paint!

joshyd-mk2gti
20-11-2007, 11:07 AM
theres a heap of small scratches on my bonnet. ive got no idea how they got there. you can only see them when looking at a certain angle. total noob here: what product should i get and how can i get rid of them by hand?? cheers

vee_dub
20-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Super Polish would be next on the list : > Thanks for recommending.

Alright I am coming to ur house...hehe.
Let me know when u wash ur car!!! My last exam is today and I have to fix my scratches.

BlackVr6ix
20-11-2007, 11:14 AM
theres a heap of small scratches on my bonnet. ive got no idea how they got there. you can only see them when looking at a certain angle. total noob here: what product should i get and how can i get rid of them by hand?? cheers

Depending on how deep the scratches are, if they are any more than swirl/sponge marks i'd be trying meguiars scratch-x or mothers scratch remover. if they are very light swirl marks/sponge marks try Autoglym paint renovator.

when applying make sure you wipe front to back, not side to side or in circles as if there are scratches circular or side to side scratches are easier to see than front to back scratches.

joshyd-mk2gti
21-11-2007, 11:30 PM
cool, cheers for the tip. i think they are swirl marks, but they only seem to be on the bonnet. theres some scratch-x at home anyway so ill give that a go first, then ill get some autoglym renovator stuff. hopefully i can get some of them out.

Jarred
25-11-2007, 04:11 PM
got some piccies. Andrew was kind enough to lend me a bottle of paint renovator, and it worked a treat. I tried it on a small patch next too my rear number plate, as this shows the old paint from under the plate (in good nick) the worn old paint on either side. Pics speak for themselves although it is a bit hard to see. The small section I did only took a few mins to rub in.

before:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/11/IMG_2102-1.jpg

After:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/11/IMG_2103-1.jpg

Note; these aren't actual before and after, just pics of either side of the number plate holder, with approx half of the pic beinf the orig not worn paint and the other half untreated and treated paint respectively. This is easily evident in the first pic, but not so much the second. Which is what you want. Although on viewing again, it's not the best pic either.

BlackVr6ix
25-11-2007, 07:54 PM
looks like it has done the trick :D