PDA

View Full Version : Mark II suspension

rowan_bris
31-05-2006, 08:47 PM
I have found a car to buy and collect it tomorrow. It's a 1992 four door GTI that feels like it needs everything. I want to start with the suspension. What are the best recommedations for something adjustable? If anyone can make any suggestions for whether I go for local springs or tried and tested ones, that would be greatly appreciated. Next is the engine. Is a 16 valve the way to go?

mrgolf
31-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Dont touch any suspension components not made in Germany, and approved by the TUV. It is well worth it. Trust those who have made mistakes and are passing on their lessons. I reccomend Eibach or H&R springs, and Bilstein or Koni Yellow shocks. Otherwise, KW coilovers rock. Google search for Dragans Australian distributorship. He is good value.

As for the engine, the 90bhp 8V engine cannot be tuned to get a big power increase unless you turbo or supercharge. Best bet is 2.0L 8V from Mk3 or Audi. Otherwise, 16V is a good choice. Esp 2.0L 16V. My tuned 8V is putting out 135bhp, but it was a UK import...

moto
01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
The sky's the limit, there are so many choices. So get pretty rational. Know what you want to achieve then ask about best ways to get there.

The standard suspension kit is actually pretty damn good if its in good nick. Most people modify to lower the car, thats the only reason. Mine has been given the Bilstein/Eibach treatment. It looks better but if you want the full truth, it was a ball of fun on the factory setup. Suspension enhancing is a pretty superficial way of spending money in these cars.

The Australian import car was given a quick and nasty detune but VW didn't spend money to get there, so its not hard to reverse. Start by chucking the exhaust .. the whole bloody thing from the head back. See if you can pick up a European downpipe and then get something fabricated back from there. You won't have to spend a lot and you'll be amazed how hard it will go with just that mod. With skilled knowhow you can get to around 140hp and its still a nice drive. But MrGolf is right, a Mk111 2 litre under the GTI head and cam is usually the way to go. The downside is you won't have matching numbers any more and when you want to sell one day you might find that costs.

syncro
01-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Dont touch any suspension components not made in Germany, and approved by the TUV. It is well worth it. Trust those who have made mistakes and are passing on their lessons.

I agree.

I had Boge turbo gas sport shocks on my '86 and they were excellent and cheap.

Golf Loon
01-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Id just get bigger wheels, to reduce the gap between the wheel and the arch. 15s are about right for a Mk2. They look purposeful and make the car look lower . Stock suspension is pretty good, unless real tired.

rowan_bris
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the help. My Mark I (many years ago) had Kings springs, Koni yellow, and Whiteline sway bars front and rear. I was never happy with the match between spring rates and shocks, which is why I am particularly interested in findind out what works together. Also, for sway bars I would like to find something factory or at least something that fits properly and doesn't get hit by the exhaust uner acceleration.

Does anyone have any suggestions for extractors. Will I have to decide what engine first or can i fit some now and get an exhaust built which will go with whatever motor I end up with?

Golf Loon
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
If you stick to 8v engines, up to 2l, you can get extractors now and keep em throughout.

If you want to go 16v or 20vT or VR6 then you will need new ones.

moto
01-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Extractors make a big improvement over the standard Aus front pipe but I've been told they dont improve things much over the std European down pipe. I had some really nice ones made up in Sydney after trying a couple of off the shelf varieties. But best to find someone local to make them up in the case there are issues later. Two things to insist on. Make sure they are well wrapped or shielded before they go on the car because the rubber boots and the starter are very vulnerable. Try to make sure they go high in the tunnel. Thats not so easy to do and most makers run them very close to the sway bar. If you find later they knock against the sway bar on acceleration you can shim the rear engine mount to lift the back of the engine a fraction.

rowan_bris
02-06-2006, 05:39 AM
Thanks again. Ant idea where I might get the standard euro down pipes?

Golf Loon
02-06-2006, 08:49 AM

Europe. :lol:

I have a euro manifold tucked away in the shed, you would still need to get the downpipe made up though.

h100vw
02-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Might see some on ebay.co.uk. Shipping will be hefty though. Cost me $125 to ship a pair of G60 front arches to Australia. WHich haven't turned up yet!! :shock: It's been 10days already

Gavin