PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help diagnose my problem??

mcouldrey
23-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Hello all, im looking for experts with answers.

I own a 2007 3 door 1.9l VWCaddy. In December my brother drove the car and was kind enough to add fuel o the tank, however added unleaded petrol to my diesel tank. It was half full and he added about 25l.

He drove 65km to my house and it stalled when pulling up. I had it towed, fuel drained, replaced the fuel pump & four injectors with second hand parts as well as changed the fuel filter. Checked the seals and all looks normal.

The car starts and feels normal but once it's warm it stalls and then is hard to start, if it starts at all.

The car is giving off a code suggesting a intermittent misfire in injectors 3 and 4.

Can anyone shed any light on what may cause this to happen once warm or hot?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Umai Naa!!
23-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Injector harness in the cylinder head. Its a common problem.

buzuki
25-01-2015, 06:15 PM
or the injectors havent been fitted correctly

Umai Naa!!
25-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Yeah, the clearances could be out.

vdubmotorworx
25-01-2015, 06:59 PM
You should have just flushed the tank..changed the filter and you would have been fine with the older tdi engine...only the common rail need major repairs..

Umai Naa!!
25-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I thought that was a little overkill, too.

Also highly possible that the replacement parts may be faulty as well.

mcouldrey
26-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

Initially went flushed the tank and and cleared the lines and although it started, it was down on power and eventually stalled. We sent the injectors and pump away to be tested and the result was that the pump was ruined and the injectors had seized up.
I bought the new parts from a wrecker for a caddy which had 20k on the speedo. We believed the pump may not have been working properly as it didn't have any/much vacuum.

We have checked for air leaks and the injectors have been in and out a few times. Our next step is to swap the injectors around and put the two injectors which didn't have a fault into cylinders 3 and 4 and then see what the scan says, if it's the injectors, the fault should say misfire in 1 and 2.

If that doesn't work I'll order a new harness/loom. I am out in country NSW so unfortunately there are no European car experts out here and we have been struggling for answers.

Thanks very much again, Matt

Umai Naa!!
26-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Make sure you set the clearances on the injectors. It's a similar process to setting valve clearances.

mcouldrey
26-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Any idea what the clearance should be set at? Thank you guys

Umai Naa!!
26-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Set the can lobe so that there is no lift on the rocker arm. You'll need a dial indicator for this.

Wind the rocker tip down until it bottoms out the injector, then wind it back 180° and lock the but. You need to do the for each injector each time you remove them, as well as replace the injector bolts.

mcouldrey
09-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Just an update and call for help.

we moved injectors 3 and 4 into 1 and 2 and the fault codes did not reappear.

We have now now changed the fuel pump, injectors, fuel sending unit and injector harness.

Before we replaced the harness and fuel sending unit, it started and ran fine at full power. The issue was when we stopped driving, it would struggle to start when hot.

We we did the fuel sending unit and again, it stalled after an hour and when hot and we couldn't restart it. We changed the harness over and still won't start.

Does anyone one have any other suggestions?

Do the injectors need to be coded to the ecu in a caddy????

Thanks matt

Umai Naa!!
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
It's only the common-rail injectors that need coding.

Are you resetting the clearances each time you replace the injectors? What about the o-rings?

There's an ECU relay under the dash that sometimes fails, but this will log a CAN-bus U code. What's the condition of the EGR like? If it's clogged to all buggery, clean it out with a couple of cans of carby cleaner, and an old toothbrush.

Also test cranking speed and battery voltage. If it can spin beyond 280rpm, it won't fire the injectors. If the battery checks out fine, try another starter motor in it.

mcouldrey
09-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the extra tips. We will look at those tomorrow.

Umai naa naa do you have a workshop in canberra?

Umai Naa!!
09-02-2015, 09:17 PM
No, but I do travel down there when required.

mcouldrey
10-02-2015, 07:52 AM
We got it started this morning but it wouldn't tick over until it reached 200rpm. Would you suggest this is a starter motor going or something else?

I have since read that it needs to get to 200 before the ecu needs to get to 200 before it will fire up but any reason it would be struggling to get to 200?

Update! It stalled again!!

I'm ready to blow this thing up!

Thank you guys

Umai Naa!!
10-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Load test your battery.

If its OK, look at the starter motor.

280rpm is the magic number.