PDA

View Full Version : b j p's R36

b j p
18-01-2015, 06:47 PM
Well after looking for an extended period of time for either a black or white low klms, high spec'd R36 wagon at a good price. I finally landed one I'm happy with.

Black MY09 Wagon
Sunroof
Sat Nav
Reverse Camera
Dynaudio
Auto Tailgate

I have been following along everyone else's efforts so now my turn to get in on the action.

It needs a clean, but here is the "just got it home" photo.

http://imageshack.com/a/img631/9687/HTDzBq.gif

Plans at the moment are:

1. Personalised Plates
2. VCDS mods
3. LED upgrades
4. Painted Calipers (blue just looks odd to me)
5. Boot liner
6. Headunit update/ Map updates

Thinking about:
7. Paddle extenders
8. Supertone horn
9. Gruppe M intake
10. Suitcase delete

Brad

Netrover
18-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Well after looking for an extended period of time for either a black or white low klms, high spec'd R36 wagon at a good price. I finally landed one I'm happy with.

Black MY09 Wagon
Sunroof
Sat Nav
Reverse Camera
Dynaudio
Auto Tailgate

I have been following along everyone else's efforts so now my turn to get in on the action.

It needs a clean, but here is the "just got it home" photo.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Plans at the moment are:

1. Personalised Plates
2. VCDS mods
3. LED upgrades
4. Painted Calipers (blue just looks odd to me)
5. Boot liner
6. Headunit update/ Map updates

Thinking about:
7. Paddle extenders
8. Supertone horn
9. Gruppe M intake
10. Suitcase delete

Brad

Good choice Brad.

I've had mine for about a month now and absolutely love it.

Post updates on your mods.

snerlo
18-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the club mate. Nice choice in car! �� where abouts in bris are you so i can keep an eye out. If you wanna get an idea of what black personalised plates look like on a black wagon, let me know. Hopefully catch up for chat one day and i can show you some of my little mods

b j p
18-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Replacement parker lights ordered. The stock ones look terrible!

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't seem to have BT though :( Has steering wheel "phone" picture and phone on the headunit. But the steering wheel button doesn't seem to do anything and the phone button on the headunit just mutes the music.

b j p
18-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the club mate. Nice choice in car! �� where abouts in bris are you so i can keep an eye out. If you wanna get an idea of what black personalised plates look like on a black wagon, let me know. Hopefully catch up for chat one day and i can show you some of my little mods

Wynnum mate. Would be keen for a catch up/beer and a R36 induction :)

b j p
18-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Plan is just to get black plates with white letters at this stage. Not sure of the combination yet.

snerlo
18-01-2015, 08:25 PM
I have black plates with silver writing. The silver sort of looks a little bit nicer against the silver on the car. We sometimes have meets around brisbane. If youre on facebook, look for brisbane euros. Thats where a few meets are listed. Also on this forum too. Im in the indooroopilly area. Yeah i agree with the parkers. If you feel like some reading, check out some of the threads that i have started and that will give you some good ideas and leeds on purchasing things. Im about to get bluetooth put in mine

Benzene
19-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Hey mate I wasn't sure if mine had bt either but best way to tell I guess is to search through your phone then type in the pin which is 0000 I think. Loving the R36

XXX-1.8T
19-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Looks good!

Keep the blue calipers as Jazz Blue is the official colour of Volkswagen Racing :)

Also dont you like the horn? Its super loud :)

snerlo
19-01-2015, 01:52 PM
The other way to see if it has Bluetooth is to see if the black box is located under the drivers seat, although in saying that, I have personally seen the fiscon cheap Bluetooth unit installed in behind the headunit in the dash which is a little weird, but that's where it was!!!

b j p
19-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Looks good!

Keep the blue calipers as Jazz Blue is the official colour of Volkswagen Racing :)

Also dont you like the horn? Its super loud :)

Hahha. I'll sit on the calipers for a while and see if they grow on me. Supertone horn may be wank. To be honest, I haven't even sounded the horn yet. Hasn't left the garage since the short drive home. I've read the encyclopedia vehicle manual now though.

Pretty sure the car doesn't have BT, so will sort out getting that done ASAP. Apparently need a 9W7 (~$350).

I have ordered:

Puddle lamps
Turn lightsLicense Plate lights
Interior Lights
DRLs

Snerlo is going to help me fit them all. He just doesn't know it yet :P

Now to choose some plates. Have a list but... I think naming the kids was easier.

b j p
28-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Just a quick update.

Numberplates ordered

Also grabbed a 9W7 BT kit for the RNS510 from Vincent. Peter (vdubmotorworx (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/vdubmotorworx/)) made the install look dead easy. The final piece of the puzzle the VagSystems FIS Link should arrive Friday to allow interlink between the Red MFD and BT, as well as use of the steering wheel buttons. Will give an update on how it goes.

vdubmotorworx
28-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Will be interesting on how the link goes

b j p
28-01-2015, 03:01 PM
So what are you doing on the weekend Pete :)

snerlo
28-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm interested to hear about where the canbus gateway module is located!!!

b j p
28-01-2015, 05:46 PM
I think we should all gather for beers and FIS-Link install.

b j p
02-02-2015, 11:15 AM
FIS-Link is installed and works as described. I now have Phone details on the red MFD and steering button controls ("star" button needs VCDS change to work). Install, once I located the gateway was easy (finding it wasn't that easy). Big thanks to Pete (vdubmotorworx (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/vdubmotorworx/)) for responding to my text messages at stupid o'clock to help find it. In my vehicle it was behind the a/c controls, which is a simple panel lift and five easy screws away.

Other Updates:

- Upgraded turning light bulbs arrived (5min change over)
- Fitted numberplates (well... they are perspex plates, and I snapped the plate in half doing it too hastily. $300 replacement plates are on their way to replace the glued and stickytaped one that is on there atm)
- Flashed 4XXX firmware onto RNS510
- Upgraded to V7 maps on RNS510
- Upgraded POI file on RNS510
- Loaded custom personalised launch screen on RNS510

passat123
02-02-2015, 07:40 PM
About your horn, I found the supertone too high pitched and not really smooth if you know what I mean.

I've installed an electro pneumatic 300Hz truck horn. Took about 20mins to install in my B7 Passat. Its a low tone one, so I am using the stock low tone plus the new electro pneumatic low tone. It's louder and makes a huge difference to the stock set up, peoples reactions prove it haha

Stock vs Pneumatic

Bought a $3 90' bracket and it attached to the stock mounting point.

b j p
03-02-2015, 11:36 AM
I agree. I have taken the Supertone off the list. Not 100% happy with the factory horn either though. Can you link to where you got those parts?

passat123
04-02-2015, 07:42 AM
I got this one and asked for their wiring harness too which includes a relay.

Compact Black 24 Volt AIR Horn Deep 300Hz Loud 134nu llItali anMa deB USTru | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Compact-Black-24-volt-Air-Horn-Deep-300Hz-Loud-134Db-Italian-Made-Bus-Truck-/400641382581?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d481658b5)

Make sure you get a 12V, not a 24V horn.

Ironman
05-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Welcome to the R36 pack b j p. Would be keen to meet up with you and Snerlo, might even be able to wrangle Chris in too.

Gruppe M intake is a bit to expensive for me to justify at the moment.
LED upgrade makes all the difference. I put up a DIY thread if you haven't checked it out already.

Have to get a photo of all our R36's in Brissy. More and more are falling into the right hands now. ;)

b j p
05-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Sounds good mate.

Small update. Walked through Autobarn the other day and spotted VW tyre valve covers. No body steal them :)

DRL's turned up as well, so will look to install them over the weekend. Hopefully the new numberplates are in by the end of the week as well. Considering removing the ridiculously large number plate holders and screw straight into the front bar. The plates are small enough that should anyone ever remove them for normal plates, they'd easily cover the holes.

snerlo
05-02-2015, 10:39 AM
DRL install should be relatively easy mate. Just check out my thread and you should be all sweet. Gotta give my old girl a bath over the weekend and give her a vacuum. Hasn't been touched since before Chrissy. Been having reno's done at home so there's been no point, but it all finishes today!! Yippeee. Looking forward to seeing the R all clean again

b j p
17-02-2015, 10:48 AM
So, after the weekend:

DRL's installed
VW Umbrella "installed"
Interior LEDs installed
Numberplate LEDs installed
Puddle LEDs installed
Billet paddle shift extenders installed
Prorack Whispbars low-profile roofracks installed

Also dropped the car down to a recommended local trimmer who fixed up the bottom side bolsters on the seats and they're like new again.

Only issue after all that is I have thrown an airbag fault warning after fitting the LEDs, reading says a VAG-COM/VCDS will fix.

vdubmotorworx
17-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Airbag light is most likely on due to the seat fitter...prob removed seat with ignition on to do his job...a blown fuse of any kind should not cause a airbag light fault.

b j p
17-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I'll send him the invoice of you fixing it Pete :)

vdubmotorworx
17-02-2015, 02:01 PM
tripple my price then! :)

dannyjak
17-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Hi BJP

How much did that cost? they had to remove the bottom side bolsters i assume? then re-pack the filling?

So, after the weekend:

DRL's installed
VW Umbrella "installed"
Interior LEDs installed
Numberplate LEDs installed
Puddle LEDs installed
Billet paddle shift extenders installed
Prorack Whispbars low-profile roofracks installed

Also dropped the car down to a recommended local trimmer who fixed up the bottom side bolsters on the seats and they're like new again.

Only issue after all that is I have thrown an airbag fault warning after fitting the LEDs, reading says a VAG-COM/VCDS will fix.

b j p
18-02-2015, 04:48 AM
$150 per seat. Yep. Seats out. Remove electrics, remove covers, remove "foam", replace "foam", shape "foam", reinstall cover, reinstall seat. He reckons that he might be able to do it cheaper now they've done it once. The place I used in QLD does a lot of hot-rod interiors etc so they're car enthusiasts as well. Results are great.

Rolls
19-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Hey BJP,

I want to do my seats but am in Sydney, NSW.
Do you mind asking the guys who did yours if they have anyone to recommend in Sydney or amI able to get the contact details off you?

Bought my car off a big bloke and the side bolsters have NO foam.

JoshS
23-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Hey mate. just bought a 36 as well and I'm from Brisbane. we have any groups or facebook groups that I can join?? Would love to know either way

maximumxposure
12-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Hi Rolls,

I'm about to get my bolsters done by Stitched Up Custom Trim on the Central Coast, Not exactly Sydney but the best trimmer around.

Nath

Hey BJP,

I want to do my seats but am in Sydney, NSW.
Do you mind asking the guys who did yours if they have anyone to recommend in Sydney or amI able to get the contact details off you?

Bought my car off a big bloke and the side bolsters have NO foam.