PDA

View Full Version : Front Strut Brace

vee_dub
31-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey all,

I have bought a front strut brace from golf3, just wondering anyone have experienced one of those in a MK3?
How do you guys find it? Good or Bad?

Thank You,
Fred.

mikinoz
31-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey all,

I have bought a front strut brace from golf3, just wondering anyone have experienced one of those in a MK3?
How do you guys find it? Good or Bad?

Thank You,
Fred.

is that the only suspension mod?

doot doot understeer doot doot

vee_dub
31-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Nah

H&R Cup Kit
Whiteline Rear sway

mikinoz
31-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Nah

H&R Cup Kit
Whiteline Rear sway

I remember now... ;)

Tim
31-05-2006, 08:22 PM
a strut brace wont induce understeer. It just stiffens the front end of the car.
A stiffer front swaybar may induce more understeer.

anyways as far as front strut brace goes. lemme know how u go. i have one identical to it to install on my car.. just havent gotten around to it yet.

mikinoz
31-05-2006, 08:34 PM
I was more referring to the understeering nature of a stock MKIII - my bad.

Golfwise
31-05-2006, 10:23 PM
But strut braces on mk3s look great even if they don't do anything . :D

golfvr6
01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
hey fred - in your list of suspension tweaks - don't forget to mention your factory mounted rear strut brace - aka - child restraint mounting bar!

i remember in the US - guys paying top dollar for rear strut braces when we in OZ getem for free!

Golfwise
01-06-2006, 10:31 AM
But have you ever been to a track day with your rear seat folded dwon or removed and that ugly child restraint bar showing, and you can't fasten your race harness to it either. :oops:

Tim
01-06-2006, 10:56 AM
that child restraint bar on the rear of a mk3 vr6 adds about as much structural rigidity as the spare tyre does. The end links are held on by a couple of rivets that can pivot freely and the whole thing flexes heaps.

vee_dub
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
The "child restraint mounting bar" the mounting point aint very useful. if they mount it 4 to 6cm below and have stronger screw, it would be very useful. Nevertheless, with that mounting bar in certain extend will help rigity of the car.

I read that from a web site long ago. Dont know is it true. But I have learn physic for 3 years should be right.

By the way Tim, I will find out is the strut brace good once I got it from the post. Hopefully I have positive feedback.

Tim
01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
haha yeah. im just too chicken to take to my car with a drill just yet!
im sure ill muster up the courage soon.
make sure u treat the area u drill into so it doesnt rust!

vee_dub
01-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, yep the drilled area is easier to rust. So I just gonna spray some touch up paint on it. Hopefully it will works.

Some site said nail polish works just fine.

Cheer,
Fred.

vee_dub
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I was looking at some book, to increase rigity using a rear strut brace would be a triangle.

Would this be the most effective strut brace for hatch back?
Can you DIY it using some chrome molly pipe??

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/06/untitled-1.jpg
Sorry for the dodgy pic..i aint no artist hehe.

Cheer,
Fred.

golfvr6
01-06-2006, 08:50 PM
that child restraint bar on the rear of a mk3 vr6 adds about as much structural rigidity as the spare tyre does. The end links are held on by a couple of rivets that can pivot freely and the whole thing flexes heaps.

it can't flex too much or it would fail. it would offer more than if u took it out!

golfvr6
01-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I was looking at some book, to increase rigity using a rear strut brace would be a triangle.

Would this be the most effective strut brace for hatch back?

that 's the solution fred
top of strut flexes the most & so is tied to the base of other strut where most stiff . the tie at top is in compression around corners adding to stiffness

vee_dub
01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Cool cool...

Btw, When I install the strut brace..i need to screw three holes in each strut tower...

Would i damage anything on the other side of the strut tower..?? ie: my spring and strut??

Thank you
Fred.