PDA

View Full Version : Climatronic upgrade for B6 R36

Timlin
03-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi all - Happy New Year!!

I'd like to uprgrade my climate control unit (the one with 3 x control knobs) to the climatronic version as found in the B7 Passat.

So I bought one and I was told its all "plug & play"... well, its not. I changed the units over and everything works except for the A/C button. No light comes on when I select A/C, but the info on the screen says - "A/C OFF" and "A/C ON", but its not actually activating the A/C at all...

My learned friend Robbie R32 tells me that a small mod is needed to one of the multi-pin connectors that click in to the back of the control panel. Evidently a small wire and one or two resolders are needed to make it all good.

But, he's not sure which pins etc...

Does anyone here have any advice for me?

Nothings easy is it!!

Rgd's

Andrew

kamold
03-01-2015, 12:36 PM
I think this thread may have the info that you are after:

VWVortex.com - OEM MKVI Climatronic on a MKV on a RNS-510 Screen installed. (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4938269-OEM-MKVI-Climatronic-on-a-MKV-on-a-RNS-510-Screen-installed)

I'm going to do this mod also eventually, although its probably last on my list of priorities...

Timlin
03-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Kamold

Great work mate!

Thanks very much!!

AT

kamold
03-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Np. I just copied it from my bookmarks, can't take any credit :)

Timlin
03-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Kamold

One thing that makes me a little nervous is that the guy who posted the mod is running a Jetta... getting wiring wrong with a CANBUS car makes me more than nervous, I'd hate to short out some circuit and then have the CANBUS system start to release that very expensive smell/smoke that happens when one gets wiring wrong.

Its a very expensive smell that one...

Does anyone know if this mod will work on a B6 R36?

Nervously....

AT

kamold
04-01-2015, 08:16 AM
I can't say with any authority, but I'd say the climatronics panels are the same across the model range. I have the same 2 dial unit in my Octavia.

Timlin
04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Yep, thats true, but some pin reassignments and soldering is required to make the new panel speak to the A/C compressor.

And its very frustrating I can tell you!

AT

booba
04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Ive crossed many wires incorrectly without problem however i could have just been lucky. ive joined/spliced all sorts of wiring to get various modules to work from octavias, passats etc for a golf and just reversed it when it didn't work. i would suggest getting a copy of elsawin and examining the wiring between the jetta and passat then determine if it will work.

Timlin
04-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Booba

Great advice - thank you!

But my technical skills are not as sharp as yours!

I'm sure the info is out there somewhere...

AT

roddy121
23-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi all im also wanting to do this, but im after the unit from something else im trying to achieve what this guy has done in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxm4W_HPrE

as you can see theres a climate control unit in the back as well as the rear! any ideas would be great