PDA

View Full Version : Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation

snerlo
20-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Well I got me an updated DRL set that replaces the blinkers and looks OEM. Found these online and wished that they had been around about six months ago when I did an install for my first DRL's that I bought (can be seen in the first pic). Installation was relatively easy. I decided that I would try and remove the grill. Was a little nerve racking at first but in the end it was quite easy. Just have to remember to pop out the two parking sensors rather than disconnecting them. It was a little tight but once you have them out it is all smooth sailing from there. For those trying for the first time, the grill inserts on the two sides might be a little tricky but they have two screws and then they are just clipped in. The blinker has one screw at the front underneath. The only wiring needed for this is a switched power from an ignition style fuse, and a lead from the positive side of the parkers so that they dim when the headlights come on. Apart from that, they are all simply just plug and go. Really easy. Zip ties are you friend here too! Here are some pics. No comments about how dirty she is either. She's getting a bath over the weekend!!
Ask any questions if you have any.

kamold
20-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Nice one!

I'm most of the way through my install.
Although I ordered the dimming version, I got sent the version which turns off the DRL when the blinker on that side is on.
Can't be bothered pulling them back out now that they are in though, so will just have to live with it.

I found the sides of the bumper a royal pain in the proverbial to get on and off but otherwise as you said its fairly straight forward.

Passat R36
20-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Geez, you removed grill to install...

A little mod can make the wiring loom to extend longer so it can run over the radiator.

Don't connect to the parker as when you turn the ignition on both Parker and DRL will blink.

kamold
20-12-2014, 03:21 PM
I left the grill in the bumper also. There are mounts that the headlight washer pipes are attached to that I zip tied the cables to.

I also took the opportunity to put some 6000k Philips Xenarc HID capsules in.

Passat R36
20-12-2014, 03:59 PM
To intall these DRLs, there is no need to remove grill or bumper, unless you want to take the opportunity to do other stuff.

How's the 6000K going? Anyone changed cornering H7? Thinking about replacing the last yellow bit in the headlight.

kamold
20-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Would be pretty fiddly I'd imagine installing the cabling with bumper on?

I like the 6000ks. Installed them in the Octy first. They do take a few seconds to come up to full brightness, but I do prefer the look of them. Look like the latest mercs etc.

Have Philips Crystal vision in the H7 turning lights.
Filaments be gone!
Just need to do the vanity lights, and the reverse and stop lamps then I'll be all led all the time (except for the turning lights )

HaydEn
20-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I thought this was going to be a r36 powered mk2:(

snerlo
20-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah, there's no need to remove the bumper. Just the grill. It is relatively easy. I did actually have my first DRL wiring running through the top of the grill just in front of the radiator but the wiring loom that comes with this set comes in a plastic sheath so i wanted to keep that on so that it protected the wiring a little. All in all, really easy mod. Now that the blinkers are LED's, the only filament bulb i have in the car is over the rear cargo area as im waiting on the LED festoon bulb to come. Once that is here, LEd's all the way baby!!

snerlo
20-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Geez, you removed grill to install...

A little mod can make the wiring loom to extend longer so it can run over the radiator.

Don't connect to the parker as when you turn the ignition on both Parker and DRL will blink.

Not needed mate, trust me. The DRL is only connected to two wires. One is to a switched power, and the other is to the parker wire to make it dim when the parkers/headlights come on. They don't blink. When you turn the blinkers on, say the drivers side, then the drivers side DRL turns off and the blinker LED's flash. When It has finished blinking and is turned off, the DRL turns back on. While this is happening, the passenger side stays lit up.

snerlo
20-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Nice one!

I'm most of the way through my install.
Although I ordered the dimming version, I got sent the version which turns off the DRL when the blinker on that side is on.
Can't be bothered pulling them back out now that they are in though, so will just have to live with it.

I found the sides of the bumper a royal pain in the proverbial to get on and off but otherwise as you said its fairly straight forward.

Mine turns off on the side that the blinker is working on mate. Mine only dim when the headlights are turned on. They still turn off on the side you put the blinker on!

kamold
20-12-2014, 06:46 PM
which circuit did you guys get your 12v power from?
My chinglish instructions have it going to the cigarette lighter on the interior fuse box.
Looks like the engine bay fuse box could be a better option.

snerlo
20-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Gotta go internal mate. I dont think that any of the fuses are switched in the engine bay. I went and piggy backed a fuse at the drivers side end of the dash. You can buy piggy back fuses from jaycar. Easiest way to do it. You come through a hole where the clutch would be in a manual car.

kamold
20-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Cool thanks.
Tested the dimming, it actually works fine.

Passat R36
20-12-2014, 08:46 PM
I have these DRL and I know exactly how they work.

Did you notice that every time you turn the ignition on the parker LEDs will blink a couple of times?(My MY10 does and oversea MY09 onwards does)

And these DRL turn on when the ignition is on, so when the parker blinks, the DRL will dim a few times as the parker blinks.

kamold
20-12-2014, 09:18 PM
That's the bcm testing the circuits. It's expecting filament globes so pulses the globe to test continuity with low voltage. It's enough to turn on an led. You should see the tails on my octy at startup, its like a disco!

Passat R36
20-12-2014, 09:21 PM
thats right. so if you connect the DRL's dim wire to parker, expecting the DRL will dim a few times.

Netrover
21-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey Snerlo. Looks good!

Could you post a link to the site - definitely interested in these.

snerlo
21-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Here's the link to where i got mine.
NEW arrival VW R36 led drl daytime running light super bright with dimmer function and yellow turn light function-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-arrival-VW-R36-led-drl-daytime-running-light-super-bright-with-dimmer-function-and-yellow/1983456612.html)

JB's Dub
22-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Look the goods. That is one of the things on my to do list!

kamold
22-12-2014, 07:47 PM
I took a shthouse video of them in operation.
Its on the facetube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxzK03AosUc

snerlo
23-12-2014, 08:27 AM
I see that you hooked the dim operation up to the xenons rather than the parkers. Nice work. Which wire did you tap if you don't mind me asking? I wasn't game mucking around with them as I have heard that there is some serious voltage in that region so I didn't want to upset the applecart!!

kamold
23-12-2014, 09:16 AM
I tapped the thicker cable which feeds the ballast. Given its going to a relay I figured the worst that could happen would be I'd kill the relay, nothing in the light assembly itself.

Seems to be working fine.

Netrover
23-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Here's the link to where i got mine.
NEW arrival VW R36 led drl daytime running light super bright with dimmer function and yellow turn light function-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-arrival-VW-R36-led-drl-daytime-running-light-super-bright-with-dimmer-function-and-yellow/1983456612.html)

Thanks Snerlo.

On that page one of the options is for Emitting Colour, with either green or red to be selected. I don't understand the choice. What does it mean and which is the best option?

kamold
23-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Red. This one dims the drls by 50% when headlights or parkers are on.
Green just turns the drls off instead.

Netrover
23-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Great. I'll go for the red option.

Thanks.

snerlo
23-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Kamold has hit it on the head. Yeah, i presume most will go for the dimming option

JB's Dub
24-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I dont want to should stupid, but having never used Alibaba, what have you found the best way to pay for things is? I cant use paypal on there. Sorry to Hijack the thread, but seing as a lot of you guys are familiar with it I thought id ask.

Thanks.

kamold
24-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Just use your CC. It's annoying they don't accept PayPal but I've never had an issue using my Visa on there.

JB's Dub
24-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Perfect, thanks, there is so much Passat gear on there cheap! My CC is going to cop a flogging after Xmas!

kamold
24-12-2014, 09:22 AM
I am first to admit I have a bit of an aliexpress addiction...

snerlo
24-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah me too. It is a bummer that they don't have paypal but there is some other options that are similar to paypal but I am not sure whether I need to sign up to another one!

neonevo
15-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Ordered these and can't wait to have them fitted. Wondering whether anyone who had already installed them can share and take few pics of the location within the engine bay where they have thread through the power lead to get to the fuse box on the driver side - simply can't find a spot for it. I know snerlo you mentioned earlier in an earlier post to thread through a hole where the clutch is but yea can't find it.

Also what the process of tapping the lead to the parker light for the dimmer of the DRL? Sorry to sound like a newb but yea near to the scene of modding cars :) Any help would be much appreciated.

kamold
15-01-2015, 08:53 AM
There is a cutout in the carpet in the firewall above the 'clutch pedal'. Under that is a rubber cover which you can carefully pop out towards you, then you're through to the engine bay.

As for tapping the cable, best way is to use a suitcase connector like this: Red Quick Splice Connector 22-18AWG Pk6 - Jaycar Electronics (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4537)

neonevo
15-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Cheers, I'll check it out! And thanks for the cable tabbing suggestion.

Netrover
20-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Ok, so the DRL's arrived a few days ago. Thanks for the link.

Included in the package was what appears to be an on / off switch. I'm guessing it's there so you can turn off the DRL's if you wanted to, and that you would leave it on all the time.

Picture attached. Can someone confirm what it is for and where it is installed and mounted?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f27/14081-snerlos-r36-drl-mk2-installation-image-jpg

kamold
20-01-2015, 03:51 PM
I didn't bother with the switch. I always want them on. Up to you if you want to be able to switch them.

snerlo
20-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Yeah, it's just an inline switch in case you want to turn them completely off for some reason. I didn't bother installing mine either

Netrover
05-02-2015, 07:10 PM
DRL's now installed and working as expected. Great and easy modification.

kamold
05-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Best. Upgrade. Ever.
Well except for forced induction ECU upgrades.

dannyjak
10-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Hi guys

Looking to purchase these from aliexpress and install as well

From what I have read

- remove grill to easily run the wires
- no wiring to turn signals since these appear to be complete swap out units. Do you just unplug the old blinker unit and plug the new one in?
- only wiring is to a power source and to the parker signal (but better to tap this into the main headlight signal?)

May have got it all wrong so looking for some confirmation

Thanks guys

kamold
10-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Yeah, you pull out the old indicators, the new ones have correct harness plugs to plug into the car's connectors there.

Run 12v power through the firewall to the fusebox.
Connect to existing parkers either in the headlamp connector or tap the wire and insulate.
Can be done without removing the whole bumper assembly as reported by others, I chose to remove the bumper to replace HID globes as well.

Bob's your mother's brother.

b j p
15-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Couldn't you just connect the Red wire to the "Parker" power, and the Blue wire to the Xenon Power. Therefore the DRL would be on with the parker and dim'd with the Xenon?

Are you guys running the DRL without the parkers?

kamold
15-02-2015, 01:28 PM
You need to run continuous 12v from the fuse box.
Otherwise you would only have the DRLs on when you turned on the parkers. Not the point of DRLs.
The trigger can be run from parkers or headlights. Technically should be from parkers.

b j p
15-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Ok, Well why not just use the fuse box under the hood, there are plenty of "power when running" points. Are you likely to want your day time running lights on when the car isn't running?

Because I assume if you're hooking them to your accessories, then if you're sitting waiting in the car listening to music, your DRL's are going to be on. Maybe something that is going to look weird at night.

EDIT: Scrub that, radio works without accessories.

b j p
15-02-2015, 05:46 PM
So installed this, with switch on accessories powered fuse, (don't know when i'll need to turn them off, but at least I have the option.) If you want them on all the time, I don't see the point on running the wire through the firewall, when you can use the fuse box in the engine bay. Photo's to follow.

snerlo
16-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Yeah, everyone has different wants with regards to when they come on. Mine only come on when you push the key into the second position (ie the position right before the starter motor kicks in) so if I have accessories on, they aren't on at all. It was really easy to get through the firewall in the end. Pretty easy install once you know what you're doing. I have installed three DRL's sets of various shapes and sizes now. Gets easier every time!!

Netrover
01-03-2015, 05:13 AM
LED parkers arrived yesterday. Installed and looking great.

LED's now right through the interior except footwell (thinking about red LED's for this), DRL's and LED puddle lights.

Great mods and easy to do.

dannyjak
02-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Hi guys

A couple of questions if you could kindly help:

- I want the DRLs to be on when I unlock the car, or when it is running. I guess the only time to want them to be off is when the car is locked. Any idea which fuse I can connect to for this?

- Alternatively, if I want them to be on only when the car is running, can I just connect the power wire to a fuse in the engine bay that has power running through it when the car is running?

- I dont actually mind if they dont dim when the parkers/headlights are on, therefore if I dont connect the second wire, will they technically be on at 100% whenever the DRLs are powered?

snerlo
02-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Hi guys

A couple of questions if you could kindly help:

- I want the DRLs to be on when I unlock the car, or when it is running. I guess the only time to want them to be off is when the car is locked. Any idea which fuse I can connect to for this?
You are going to need a few more parts mate to get something like this going. Ie. a relay that you can have two inputs in and one outlet but I am not knowing if there is something like this without doing some searching so you might have to have a look on that one.

- Alternatively, if I want them to be on only when the car is running, can I just connect the power wire to a fuse in the engine bay that has power running through it when the car is running?
Possibly, but you will have to do some testing with a test light. Can't tell you without doing it myself. Easier to just wire it into one of the fuses in the end of the dash with a piggyback fuse connector as they come on when the ignition is on just before the starter motor kicks in.

- I dont actually mind if they dont dim when the parkers/headlights are on, therefore if I dont connect the second wire, will they technically be on at 100% whenever the DRLs are powered?
Yes.

b j p
03-03-2015, 09:13 AM
- A wouldn't say that was true. There are heaps of things that get power when you unlock the car; the puddle mirrors for instance. You could use that as a power source if you wanted to. Not sure why you'd want that to happen though.

- I wouldn't say it was easier either to go through the firewall because you have to run the cable, cable tie it etc, when the fuse box under the bonnet is within <20cm from the DRL control box can be mounted. My issue with using under the bonnet was that I wanted the ability to switch them on and off if I needed which is why I ran it internally and installed the switch. They are not ADR approved which means you could get booked for them in QLD (assuming a police officer knew they didn't come standard and was having a bad day) not sure about other states. Although this is a very very minor possibility.

You can use any of the three (10amp) at the bottom right of this picture if you just want them on when you start the car.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14831&stc=1

dannyjak
03-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks BJP, what about the inside fuse box, if I wanted to go with that option, any of the 10amp fuses would be fine since they all get powered on when the car is started also?

snerlo
03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
You are correct bjp but he wanted them to either come on with the unlock but also to work when the car was going and he'll need a relay of some description for that to occur if he wants both options at the same time. It is doable, believe me.

donksebastian
05-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Keen to DRLs in my car also now, nice info here

dannyjak
06-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Hi guys

Any helpful hints on how to remove the silver part of the front bumper? and any tricks to popping out the existing turn signal units?

snerlo
06-03-2015, 11:22 PM
silver part is just screws up the top beneath the bonnet and then two either side just below the number plate. Then it is a gentle exercise of pulling the part forward but be careful because the parking sensors don't have a long wire on them so you will have to unclip them which will be tight. The blinkers are a single screw. You can see it if you get down on your hands and knees and look up from below.

3C4M Guy
07-03-2015, 09:01 PM
If only we could buy a comprehensive step-by-step workshop manual, we wouldn't be asking each other "how do you remove ...?". I'm told the DVD-ROM manuals have the print function disabled - otherwise I'd buy one and print the whole thing.

dannyjak
09-03-2015, 09:33 AM
OK finally did it over the weekend. Didnt need to take out the grill. Ran the wiring above the radiator shroud. Powered it from the engine bay fuse. Hardest part was getting to the screws of the indicators haha

Jakeys
16-04-2015, 02:39 AM
Hey guys,

So I just got word I will be receiving my DRL’s after a wait, so I came back to review this thread and I noticed something which doesn’t seem to have been addressed.

Did you notice that every time you turn the ignition on the parker LEDs will blink a couple of times?(My MY10 does and oversea MY09 onwards does)

And these DRL turn on when the ignition is on, so when the parker blinks, the DRL will dim a few times as the parker blinks.

That's the bcm testing the circuits. It's expecting filament globes so pulses the globe to test continuity with low voltage. It's enough to turn on an led. You should see the tails on my octy at startup, its like a disco!

thats right. so if you connect the DRL's dim wire to parker, expecting the DRL will dim a few times.

Are you guys aware you can stop this happening? This is an option in VCDS, kamold is correct, the car pulses most of the lights at startup to identify any that have failed, any that have been replaced with LED will do this. The function is called Cold Start Diagnosis and you can turn it off for each set of lights individually, ie if you only replaced your parkers with LED then you can turn it off just for parkers but still have it check all your other lights.

I have done this myself as I do have LED parkers, I can find the applicable option for you if you want, although a quick Google should make light work of it.

Passat R36
16-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Yes I know the option and I have a VCDS.It does not bother me as I left the DRL on full all the time, I didn't connect the blue wire to anything.

If you turn the option off, will the car tell you when the Parker bulb is really faulty?

Jakeys
16-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Yes I know the option and I have a VCDS.It does not bother me as I left the DRL on full all the time, I didn't connect the blue wire to anything.

If you turn the option off, will the car tell you when the Parker bulb is really faulty?

Not at start up, but it will notice when you turn them on. It definitely stops the flickering though. (I noticed my reverse light doing it when I switched that for a high powered LED)

snerlo
16-04-2015, 11:40 AM
I am positive that the DRL's don't flick on or off when the tests occur on start up as I think that there is about a 1 sec delay before they activate but I can confirm 100% if you want mate.

Jakeys
16-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I am positive that the DRL's don't flick on or off when the tests occur on start up as I think that there is about a 1 sec delay before they activate but I can confirm 100% if you want mate.

It's not for me, I already have cold diagnosis for parkers turned off because my parkers were flashing on startup due to being LED. If the parkers don't have it on, the DRL's have nothing to react to so they will not flicker. It was more just to let the guys posting about their cars doing it know that it is an easy fix if they wish.

passat08
28-04-2015, 10:32 AM
I am looking at buying set these for my car passat b6 Wagon. What I want to know is how much it cost all up to get from states? Is it plug and play or need to run more wires? Thanks

snerlo
28-04-2015, 04:53 PM
It is about $160US. Bought on Aliexpress. Yes it is plug and play although you have to run a wire to the inside to access an accessory that comes on with the ignition, or try one of the ones in the engine bay (which I haven't done myself). There is also a wire to make them dim when the headlights come on as well as the usual power and negative. All in all, it is relatively easy but I have been playing around with this sort of stuff for a little while now so I found it quite easy. I do know that Jakey either has just done it or about to do it this weekend as I sent him a kit recently for an extra one that I had.

passat08
28-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Ok you wouldn't be in Adelaide would you lol.

snerlo
28-04-2015, 08:17 PM
No mate. Brisbane

revivor
09-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Allright! Just ordered mine today. Any idea how long it will take to be received?

Hope to be one of the few R36's (after you guys) in Sydney with DRL turn signals :D
I've have LEDs in my turn signals for over a yr now, but the DRL looks so much better!

kamold
09-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Few weeks normally

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

snerlo
09-08-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm in the throws of trying to sort out an issue with one of mine. One of the grey plastic surrounds had a massive crack in it and I didn't notice and consequently it literally filled up with water stuffing the DRL. Trying to see if I can buy just one light or trying to figure out if I can actually fix it myself. The fixing it myself route doesn't look promising as I eventually got it apart. Bloody cheap chinese crap. Bit pissed off actually. Considering trying something with the original blinker unit but using some dual filament bulb but I don't think that that is even possible.

revivor
18-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Finally my DRL's have arrived! Its very quick actually - 9 days from order to delivery (impressive for something from Aliexpress).

Looking at the actual part, I couldn't fault anything wrong with them, coz they look professionally made like OEM quality.
I noticed they covered the wiring gap with silicone seen here:

Was this where you guys had to cover up the gaps? Couldn't find any loose or gaps on the cover or anywhere except some venting holes a size of a toothpick (3 on top and 3 at the bottom) - can be seen on 1st picture

I'll be installing it on the weekend. Can anyone point out which source point you used to power the Acc+ 12V from the engine bay fuse box?
Did you guys have to splice the parking light wire to connect to the blue wire?

snerlo
19-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Nah, my grey plastic had a big crack and i didnt realise it till it was too late. If you check out some of the versions for sale on the web mate they have a pic of the fuse box showing which fuse to use but i actually went inside myself as that is where i had run my original DRL's. With regards to the parker wire, yeah, i just used one of those quick connector things. Pretty easy.

revivor
21-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Hi,

Manage to complete the install of the DRLs. Looks good..I like it! The side the turn signal goes on, DRL will turn off and comes back on after 1s of the turn signal cancellation.
I find the wire loom a little too long and had to hide the loom above the radiator where there is a sort of like a compartment.
Tapped the 12V as suggested in post #50 by bjp at the fuse box in the engine bay. The DRLs now come on when starting the car. Thanks for the pointer.

I haven't connected the blue wire as I couldn't find where to tap the parking light wire. Any pointers? Maybe if anyone's got a photo of the connection?

snerlo
22-08-2015, 07:09 AM
For the parkers, i just opened up the back of the headlights by opening those two metal clips, then pulled out a parker bulb. If youve done your led parker upgrade you would have done this before. Then find out which one of the two wires works to make them dim when the parkers turn on. I just used a quick connect clip thing, then put the bulb back in the slot for the parker bulb. Now i know what you're going to say, how can you close the back up by having a little wire coming out. Well, i just pushed it in hard and closed the clips again. Done! If i was going to fix it up properly, i would drill a really tiny hole in the headlight back and feed the wire through so the flap can seal properly but at this stage, i havent had a problem. Still might do it if I'm bored one day and looking for somehing to fiddle with on the car.
Looking good though mate on the grey

revivor
22-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks snerlo!

I'll try that method as I thought as well how do I get the wire out of the housing! that put an end to my install as it was late. Too lazy to think further.
So I'll try it again tonight.
But I am very happy with the looks! The DRLs point straight forward when looking directly in front of it.

I did notice hearing (when shaking the part) like those silica bags inside the housing...would that pose any issue?

kamold
22-08-2015, 02:37 PM
The silica bags are just there to stop condensation from forming on the inside of the housing if water gets in. I've had to remove one to fix the housing and didn't replace it as I didn't have anything similar.
Haven't had any problems with either since (so one side is original and the other resealed by me)

Also agree they look particularly great on the grey car!

snerlo
22-08-2015, 02:45 PM
As kamold said. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm gonna use the one that I have apart and try and do something different with it using some COB dual LED's from aliexpress, just to see if it'll work. The only thing that I am disappointed about with these DRL's is that the blinker is quite dull when you compare it to the DRL and especially to the standard blinker unit. Just gonna have a tinker seeing as though it is a right off.

revivor
22-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Ok. Then I'll just keep on smiling not worrying about it.
I do agree that the turn signal aren't as bright as the DRLs itself. While driving today, looking at the reflection off the car in front of me, the differences is noticeable but still much better the halogens.

My 5yr old car looks like a 1yr old now! It just made it a whole lot fresher. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seanmau5
27-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I also took the opportunity to put some 6000k Philips Xenarc HID capsules in.

Off topic but....... Would you mind sharing where you purchased these from? Did a quick google and found them for $99 each online. Is that reasonable? Is anyone familiar with Konik branded lights? D1S 6000k can be had for $149 for the pair from blingwork automotive lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamold
27-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Mine are 'non-genuine' Philips they were $20. Got them from aliexpress. You get what you pay for to an extent but I have 2 sets been going strong for 18 months and almost year.

seanmau5
28-09-2015, 01:03 AM
I actually had a poke around on aliexpress.. So many genuine osram and phillips bulbs for cheap!

kamold
28-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Yeah none of them are genuine. If you want genuine go to powerbulbs.com

GLF118TSI
11-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Hi all, sorry to bring up an old thread. I got myself a set of this DRL as well, and found out that the chinese part was a poor copy of the OEM housing. It missed plenty of clipping points and became a very loose fit to the black housing trim and thus not fitting snug with the bumper. Anyone having the same issue?

Also, i'm planning to tap into the 12V fuse (10 amp) in the fuse box inside the engine bay. Exactly how do i do that? Do i bridge the thin gauge wire to the fuse itself? Any pointers appreciated!

Pussbak
09-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Hi guys, a lot of great DIY tips here but if you really want to keep it simple grab a DRL controller off ebay for <$10.

CARCHET LED Daytime Running Light DRL Automatic On Off Controller New DC12V | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARCHET-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Automatic-On-Off-Controller-New-DC12V-/152317248346?hash=item2376d0c35a:g:SGUAAOSwubRXMZw r)

Its basically a 2 wire installation. Red to constant +12V, Black to Negative and optional (3rd) wire to parkers for dimming function.
The output of the controller connects to LED lights of your choice.

The input feed to constant 12v (unswitched) detects voltage and switches on the LEDS when voltage reaches above a set value, for arguments sake say 12.8v.
The advantage of this is that when the ignition is on, the DRL's wont be, and will remain off while cranking.
Once engine is running, the battery voltage increase to >13v the controller switches on the DRL's.

When the engine is switched off there is about a 20sec delay until DRL switch off due to time taken for the voltage to drop below 12.8v at which point the DRL's switch off.

It doesn't get any easier than this, yes yes you get what you pay for but ive had success with this after 2 failures and the 3rd controller going strong for about 3 years.

The good aftermarket dedicated DRL's such as Hella Dayline have this circuit built in so it truly is a 2 wire installation if you opt not to use the dimming feature.
New &amp; Genuine HELLA LEDayline 5 Daytime Running Lights 12V DRL LED Complete Kit | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genuine-HELLA-LEDayline-5-Daytime-Running-Lights-12V-DRL-LED-Complete-Kit-/190977557243?hash=item2c772642fb:g:8ogAAOSwFqJWofW J)

Other than using the controller another option is to tap into the fuel pump feed, this reason for this is that when the ignition turns on the pump will prime and then switch off until the engine starts which in turn turns on the DRL's.
This will prevent the DRL's from turning on whilst ignition ON without engine running.

kamold
09-02-2017, 09:42 PM
The point of the kit is the LEDs are designed to fit into the existing turn signal housings, so look completely factory.
They look like how the car should have looked from factory.
Bunging on some random LEDs onto the bumper doesn't have the same effect.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Pussbak
09-02-2017, 10:34 PM
I agree with you 100% but the purpose of my post was to inform our fellow members of the various options of connecting (and i re-quote 'your LED of choice') DRL's to the electrical system to function as DRL's.
As far as random LED's its a case of 'Each to their own' but the Hella kit does offer quality as well as ease of installation.
I guess my point is not everyones technical ability is the same.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kamold
09-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Fair enough.
Each to their own.

My personal opinion is if DRLs don't look factory they just end up looking stuck on which detracts rather than adds to aesthetics.

Jakeys
10-02-2017, 07:47 AM
My personal opinion is if DRLs don't look factory they just end up looking stuck on which detracts rather than adds to aesthetics.

Agreed. This is the only reason I bought this kit as well, it's the only one that I feel actually works on the car visually. I wish it were a little nicer quality inside (Mainly the indicators) but it's hands down the best.

kamold
10-02-2017, 07:52 AM
I installed a set for someone the other day and the build quality on them I think has been improved.
Mine have been fine since the initial leaking issue a few years back but it looks like they have taken some feedback onboard.

Pussbak
10-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Are we still talking about the kit from Aliexpress for approx US $160.

kamold
10-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Are we still talking about the kit from Aliexpress for approx US $160.

Yes that's what this thread is about.
Feel free to start another thread to discuss other options if you think it's more appropriate [emoji3]

Jakeys
10-02-2017, 04:37 PM
I installed a set for someone the other day and the build quality on them I think has been improved.
Mine have been fine since the initial leaking issue a few years back but it looks like they have taken some feedback onboard.

How so? With mine they have not leaked but the lights do not look perfect. The orange indicator LED's are a bit dimmer than I'd like although fine, and are in a straight line not following the contour of the bar like the actual DRL LED's too. The DRL LED's on each edge are also not quite as sharp cut out as I'd like. But I'm nitpicking, nobody but me has ever noticed.

kamold
10-02-2017, 04:43 PM
The control box looked higher quality and had Osram on it (means nothing I know).
The lights didn't have any burrs or anything on them
I really should have taken some photos of them and mine.
I will next time I see them.

Passat R36
10-02-2017, 05:04 PM
One of mine cracked for no reason, on the housing. A lot of water got in...
After drying I used some silicon to seal the crack and it's has been good since.
If he can make it with big LEDs, it will look better, just saying, still very happen with them!

kamold
10-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Yeah I'm very happen with them too.
By big LEDs do you mean so it gives less of a 'pixel' look?
I think it suits as it matches the technology of the time.

Passat R36
10-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Yeah I'm very happen with them too.
By big LEDs do you mean so it gives less of a 'pixel' look?
I think it suits as it matches the technology of the time.
Yes, wishful thinking, he probably wont change his formula.

seanmau5
16-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I bought the DRL's off AliExpress, can't recall the price. It's probably been 2.5 years and they've certainly deteriorated in condition. No leaking or condensation etc however the plastic has yellowed and lessened the effect of the indicators. Does anyone have any feedback on the newer ones? I want to replace them with the dimming ones but won't if someone has come across quality issues.

seanmau5
17-03-2017, 12:37 AM
So after fiddling for a few days doing some tidying up, I've found some cracks in the lens of one of the DRLs and they've turned so damn yellow.. They look ridiculous next to the factory fill in piece. Anyway, time to replace. Anyone used these and want to provide some feedback?

http://s.aliexpress.com/nI7fqaey

Domatron
17-03-2017, 06:00 AM
So after fiddling for a few days doing some tidying up, I've found some cracks in the lens of one of the DRLs and they've turned so damn yellow.. They look ridiculous next to the factory fill in piece. Anyway, time to replace. Anyone used these and want to provide some feedback?

For Volkswagen Passat CC 2010 2013,Turn Yellow Signal Style Relay Waterproof ABS 12V Car DRL LED Daytime Running Light-in Car Light Assembly from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (http://s.aliexpress.com/nI7fqaey)

Those look really good. I like that the lights are individual instead of a long strip. Looks more OEM. But those are for a CC. Will they fit an R36?

kamold
17-03-2017, 08:37 AM
The attachment screw on these looks to be 90 degrees to the R36 ones I've installed. I would ask the seller.

seanmau5
17-03-2017, 09:10 AM
Yes definitely suited to the CC. I believe they are also a different shape to suit the different front bar.

Jakeys
17-03-2017, 10:48 AM
The quality on those CC ones looks better, lens is nicer and the LED's (Mainly the indicators) are far better designed. But yeah, not at all workable on the R36.

seanmau5
17-03-2017, 12:20 PM
The pictures look good. Once they're received and installed I'll come back with some feedback. Might also do a walkthrough for installation, seems there are a few people asking questions.

I have these ones now. They're pretty terrible. http://s.aliexpress.com/QbA3Mf6J (http://s.aliexpress.com/QbA3Mf6J)

Domatron
17-03-2017, 06:55 PM
I've found some cracks in the lens of one of the DRLs and they've turned so damn yellow..

If you put a clear lamin-x sheet over the lens from new would that protect them better from the sun?

seanmau5
17-03-2017, 07:21 PM
If you put a clear lamin-x sheet over the lens from new would that protect them better from the sun?

Good question. I'm not too sure. I feel like it would need to be some sort of clear UV resistant/protective layer/laminant. Maybe there's a spray on like sunscreen [emoji23] I'll check it out and report back. Great suggestion mate

seanmau5
18-03-2017, 05:07 PM
UV-Resistant Clear Coating - | Krylon (http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/)

Domatron
18-03-2017, 07:03 PM
UV-Resistant Clear Coating - | Krylon (http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/)

Hmmm I wonder how that would last outside with rain and such?

seanmau5
19-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Well I came across Chris Fix on YouTube and in particular, this video - https://youtu.be/F8whjrksd0I

He uses a clear UV spray on type application that is supposed to protect the light and keep it in good condition. Worth a try I guess.

Domatron
25-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Well I came across Chris Fix on YouTube and in particular, this video - https://youtu.be/F8whjrksd0I

He uses a clear UV spray on type application that is supposed to protect the light and keep it in good condition. Worth a try I guess.

Ya that looks like it'll do the job. Why don't you test it out and report back to us... in oh say 2 years :P

seanmau5
28-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Received my new DRL lights. First inspection would suggest they are much better quality than what I currently have installed.

I believe these ones don't actually require a 12v power source, instead use the standard indicator loom for DRL power. I'll do some testing. The ACC line runs from the positive parker wire to dim when headlights are on. Very assumptive of me, I'll be sure to post my findings.

seanmau5
28-03-2017, 10:05 PM
And to add to that, these come with inline resistors installed into the assembly. I've searched high and low for these heat sink mounts as I think they're bloody awesome. Anyone know what they're called?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/03/b60f8c1e76d95799b088e8087e4e2c2a-3.jpg

seanmau5
07-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Well I was wrong... These new DRL lights do require a 12v power source. Fuse location #33 in the engine bay fuse box is an ignition fuse so I tapped that. They don't dim which is disappointing so I may install a control box for that. We'll see if I can be bothered

Screwdriverone
27-04-2017, 06:39 PM
A quick question if I may about these blinkers, the originals that is. It seems there is only half of the fitting used at all and this is only for the blinkers? Is there supposed to be something else in the factory bumper mounted blinkers or is this space just for other models? Half the lens is clear so I assume there is something else supposed to be in there? This pic below shows what I mean well. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/99844ae3f28ddec80cfb133817fa46c4-3.jpgAny ideas??

kamold
27-04-2017, 07:56 PM
There's meant to be LEDs in there, just like the inner tails where there is a mount for them just the holes haven't been drilled out ;)

yeders
12-03-2020, 01:26 AM
Wheres the best spot to connect the ground wire - any suggestions? I have a red, black and blue wire. I suspect blue goes to the parkers for dimming.

kamold
12-03-2020, 08:35 AM
There are ground points in the engine bay, just have a look behind the headlights a bit lower down.
Yes the dimmer wire needs to tap the parkers.