PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Reports with Discover Headunit

beroukas
14-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Curious if the traffic report feature is meant to work in Australia. I have turned the TP setting on in radio setup but it's been a few weeks and no reports coming through. Just wanted to know if I'm waiting for a miracle or if I have done something wrong.

Idle
14-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Works for me in Melbourne.

Don't really find it of much use, though.

Eaglehawk
14-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Unless you're one of the "lucky ones" (delivered with it enabled) I thought you needed VCDS to enable it. (See http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mkvii-vcds-tweak-reference-thread-98034.html thread)

DV52
14-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Curious if the traffic report feature is meant to work in Australia. I have turned the TP setting on in radio setup but it's been a few weeks and no reports coming through. Just wanted to know if I'm waiting for a miracle or if I have done something wrong.

Beroukas:Eaglehawk is correct albeit I would have thought that a late model mk7 would have it enabled when delivered by the dealer. But I stopped trying to second-guess VW Australia's practices long ago!

When you say that you enabled TP, was this all that you did? I ask because the data information that is provided by SUNA's traffic service is carried on the RDS facility that FM stations use (it actually uses a harmonic frequency of the stereo signal, but you probably don't want to know this). Anyhow, if you haven't done so, enable RDS in the radio setup screen, wait a while, then try again. Good luck, and if it still doesn't work, try to find a VCDS cable owner here that lives in Sydney (the tweak is real easy to do).

fontana302
14-12-2014, 05:53 PM
My Golf R was delivered 1 week ago & didn't have Traffic Alerts enabled. I enabled it with VCDS & works perfectly here in Brisbane.

beroukas
15-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Yep, poor explaining from my part, RDS was enabled as well. I'll head over to VW Village and get the boys to have a look. Thanks for the link Eaglehawk, and thanks for the details DV52. I'll keep you updated.

Daskarzine
26-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Howdy - was in the service Dept today to get something minor on my new Golf sorted. Asked about traffic alerts and was told that there is a new update coming to enable them - plus to also retro fit CarPlay to older models (don't know how old as I have it and didn't query) - does anyone know when the update may be coming, as he didn't know.... Don't want to have to spend a fortune on the Ross tech thing if I don't need to, and that's all I really want!

thanks

kaiserky
12-06-2016, 06:56 PM
I'll have to have a play and see if I can get mine going. Luckily traffic isnt much of an issue in Canberra though I'd imaging it would be a must have in Sydney or Melbourne.

Ky

sillygogo
12-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Hahaha, miss those traffic issues in Canberra, or lack of. Had the Suna traffic report with my old TomTom. Didn't get much use out of it and the reports doesn't help much for me in Brisbane.

cozza
17-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Works on my Discover Pro MIB2 but isn't exactly that helpful and the way it shows is messy in my opinion.

Ralfi
17-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Works on my Discover Pro MIB2 but isn't exactly that helpful and the way it shows is messy in my opinion.

We IOS people need Google Maps. Best GPS/Nav/traffic App out there....plus I have about a hundred saved locations in the App.

Desperately hoping Apple gives us a 'Default Map App' selection in IOS, followed by Google Maps support in CarPlay.

The Bandit
26-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Hi All,

Anyone with an MY16 with the Discover Media 6.5 been able to get the Traffic info working?

Found this video on youtube but mine doesn't have the same option in the menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWCbPxR9K00

Also are there any map updates as the Here website doesn't seem to have anything past a 2014 model.

Cheers

SimoHDK
26-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Yep! You can enable traffic via programming. Use a tool such as OBDeleven. I did it on mine and it works great.

With OBDeleven you can navigate to Headunit > Adaptation > "Fee-based traffic information (TMC)" and set the value to '1024'

Hit save, wait an hour or so and it will start to work. Make sure TP and RDS are enabled within the radio settings too.

The Bandit
26-08-2016, 12:06 PM
OK great :)

Any in Sydney happen to have one of these and willing to help out?

Cheers

CandE
10-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Hi all,

I can't seem to get the traffic updates to work.
I have made changes using OBDeleven and turned on TP setting but still nothing.

I noticed from video posted that I don't have the RDS option in my screen menu, second line is missing, does anyone know how to activate this in menu using OBDeleven?

Or am I missing something?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/54bf73a0c92b559ab2926f5f2541d357-2.jpg

SimoHDK
10-09-2016, 08:24 PM
There has been reports of some headunits not accepting this due to a software bug. As an example, my partners March-16 110TSI Highline doesn't work even after traffic being enabled in OBDeleven. As I read on another forum, this is a bug.

She's going to VW on Monday for a software update, I'll report back if it fixes the problem.

DV52
10-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I can't seem to get the traffic updates to work.
I have made changes using OBDeleven and turned on TP setting but still nothing.

I noticed from video posted that I don't have the RDS option in my screen menu, second line is missing, does anyone know how to activate this in menu using OBDeleven?

Or am I missing something?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/54bf73a0c92b559ab2926f5f2541d357-2.jpg

CandE; Hello. Not sure if you are aware, but RDS stands for Radio Data System. Just as a suggestion, have a look at the code-string on your MIB and in particular note the setting for Byte 13, Bit3. If the long coding helper is the same as mine below (which is from a MIB1), Perhaps this setting cab help you with the problem?

Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/vFc2Klapng-1.jpg

kamold
11-09-2016, 02:09 PM
I've seen two cars where I was not able to enable traffic on Discover Pro (MIB2) units.
Both had software version 0240.
There is a TSB from VW which indicates that a minimum of version 0613 is required on these units.
Every other car I've enabled traffic on successfully has a newer version.
I'd suggest checking what version you have and getting VW to update per their TSB 91N9 (http://www.goapr.com/support/tsb/91n9mibbulletinver2.pdf).
Then report back if it works.

DV52
12-09-2016, 08:50 AM
^^^^ Kamold: Hello.

You may well be correct in your SW hypothesis (interesting observation). Coincidentally, I was investigating a problem for a colleague on another forum regarding the 5F module using OBD11 dongle and I came across the interesting long-coding entry below (highlighted in the yellow box):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/WbiFDKMpng-2.jpg

Now the long coding helper screens on VCDS look very different to those on OBD11 and this entry isn't identified. There is also no way (that I know) of finding the particular Bit number for the Byte 14 RDS function that's quoted on this screen.

I hope that OP provides feedback because the solution for this problem is mighty intriguing!

Interesting stuff indeed!!

Don

EDIT: On a totally unrelated matter, you appear to have access to some great resources which prompts me to ask the following question: Do you have ODIS and if so, is there any way of "hacking", or otherwise using the device to find-out the security access code for control modules?

I'm still on my quest to find the security code for MY16 instrument module and whilst I have been successful using VCP for this purpose (on other modules), I can't find an acceptable security code for the MY16 unit as the seed for the polling function (hope this makes sense)

kamold
12-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Another piece of the puzzle perhaps Don...?
We'd need someone with a Discover unit with non-available RDS option and OBDEleven to check if that bit is set, then compare the long coding string with a working unit to see if we can isolate which bit might need to be flipped.

Not sure when I will see my recalcitrant Golf Alltrack again but if I do I'll check it with OBDEleven and report back.

EDIT: Just a clarification- the two Disco Pro systems that I haven't been able to enable traffic on both HAVE the RDS option available in the radio menu (and TP) however enabling them and setting the traffic adaptation to 1024 do not have the usual affect.

I have a sum total of about 40mins experience with ODIS but will have a look at it and see what I can figure out WRT security codes...

CandE
12-09-2016, 06:50 PM
CandE; Hello. Not sure if you are aware, but RDS stands for Radio Data System. Just as a suggestion, have a look at the code-string on your MIB and in particular note the setting for Byte 13, Bit3. If the long coding helper is the same as mine below (which is from a MIB1), Perhaps this setting cab help you with the problem?

Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/vFc2Klapng-1.jpg

I made this change as suggest by Don, thanks for that, and now have RDS option in menu, but still not receiving any traffic reports.

kamold
12-09-2016, 07:21 PM
I made this change as suggest by Don, thanks for that, and now have RDS option in menu, but still not receiving any traffic reports.
What software version is on the unit?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

CandE
12-09-2016, 07:28 PM
What software version is on the unit?

I will check tomorrow and report back. Might have to get it updated as suggested and see how that goes.

DV52
13-09-2016, 07:45 AM

CandE: Good- at least you now have RDS! The problem may well be the SW version as per Kamold's post, but one last suggestion that is an easy try is to reset the infotainment unit.

Not sure if you know this procedure, but just hold down the on/off button on the radio until the unit switches off and keep holding down the button until it switches on again.

Don

Eaglehawk
13-09-2016, 08:56 AM
When I did this on my MIB1, the initial value was 0. But on my mate's Golf MY15, his was something like 65535. I haven't changed his yet, but did anyone find changing from this initial value work? Or does it need a software update to his headunit?

SimoHDK
13-09-2016, 09:24 AM
So my partner went to VW today, MY16 110 Highline. Hardware H24 and Software 0245.

No MIB2 updates available (Apparently one is coming...) so traffic obviously still does not work. Have not tried the POIs however I'm assuming they won't work either.

kamold
13-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Need to do some research and find out how the software version numbering works.
Appears to be different for different regions.

Flipper Dog
13-09-2016, 11:19 AM
So my partner went to VW today, MY16 110 Highline. Hardware H24 and Software 0245.

No MIB2 updates available (Apparently one is coming...) so traffic obviously still does not work. Have not tried the POIs however I'm assuming they won't work either.

MY16 92 TSI with MIB2 - H25.14.78 Software 0624. Updated early August. Traffic 1024 coded and custom POIs work fine.

SimoHDK
13-09-2016, 11:32 AM
My personal car, MY16 Golf R is:

Hardware: 820
Software: 0624

Traffic and POIs work fine.

DV52
13-09-2016, 02:22 PM
When I did this on my MIB1, the initial value was 0. But on my mate's Golf MY15, his was something like 65535. I haven't changed his yet, but did anyone find changing from this initial value work? Or does it need a software update to his headunit?

Eaglehawk: explanation of numbering follows:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by zloybob http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/vcds-vag-com-codes-programmable-options-golf-mk7-84619-post1159497.html#post1159497)

hello Maybe i can help u with TMC
1024, 65535 etc its value for various settings (This can be seen in the firmware file)
65535 - TMC OFF
1024 - SUNA Traffic (Intelematics)
0 - dev options
32771 online traffic + VW TMCPro

Australia uses SUNA, I've seen lots of UK admaps that have 32771 setting. In answer to your question, I have changed a couple of units with 65535 and it has worked OK - but I needed to reset the MIB unit in each case and wait a while before the Traffic table was populated . On one of the cars, it didn't work until the owner started the car the next day - go figure!!

Don

CandE
13-09-2016, 07:54 PM
Eaglehawk: explanation of numbering follows:

Australia uses SUNA, I've seen lots of UK admaps that have 32771 setting. In answer to your question, I have changed a couple of units with 65535 and it has worked OK - but I needed to reset the MIB unit in each case and wait a while before the Traffic table was populated . On one of the cars, it didn't work until the owner started the car the next day - go figure!!

Don

I have Wolfsburg Golf R with MIB2
Hardware: H24
Software: 0241

Still not working.
I will try reboot again.

Eaglehawk
14-09-2016, 12:26 PM
I needed to reset the MIB unit in each case

Don

In my friend's words..."Errr...how?" (He's a bit worried about doing this under warranty, I think it's a great time to do it...)

DV52
14-09-2016, 04:09 PM
In my friend's words..."Errr...how?" (He's a bit worried about doing this under warranty, I think it's a great time to do it...)

Eaglehawk: The process is exactly the same as in my response in Post #24 (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/traffic-reports-discover-headunit-101977-post1198977.html#post1198977) (previous page)

Don

PS: Agree- good time to do it. If the tweak goes pear-shape (and I don't see why it would go pear-shape - at worst TMC just won't work), then revert the value back and in a dignified but suitably irate manner, tell the dealer that the car he sold is a "hunk-of-sh%t" and fix it immediately!!:eek:

CandE
05-01-2017, 11:31 AM
I have Wolfsburg Golf R with MIB2
Hardware: H24
Software: 0241

Still not working.
I will try reboot again.

I had my car serviced recently by VW and got them to update MIB2 which is now software version 0245.
Traffic update still won't work, not sure what else I can do to get it to work.

kamold
06-01-2017, 06:54 PM
I had my car serviced recently by VW and got them to update MIB2 which is now software version 0245.
Traffic update still won't work, not sure what else I can do to get it to work.
Doesn't work with that series of firmware which is all that's available for that hardware at this point.

kut
17-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Traffic update still won't work, not sure what else I can do to get it to work. Did you use a vcds to activate it? I have helped a few wolfburg golf r turn it on no problems.

kamold
18-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Did you use a vcds to activate it? I have helped a few wolfburg golf r turn it on no problems.
What software version though?
I've not been able to activate any running 02xx.
06xx no problems.

CandE
12-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Did you use a vcds to activate it? I have helped a few wolfburg golf r turn it on no problems.

I used OB11

Peteintas
19-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Doesn't work with that series of firmware which is all that's available for that hardware at this point.

Dealer serviced car this week, confirmed S/W 0245 is still the current version for H24 vehicles.

bunglebp
17-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Hi all I just got a 2017 Passat 206 TSI R -line with the discover pro (H51) unit and it doesnt have RDS option turned on, how can i enable this if possible? I would buy ODB11 if someone can confirm? Also google earth and car net options missing too, I hope this is only a software thing?? I did contact VW and they said not available in Australia so im turning to the geniuses on this forum for help! :)

kamold
17-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Should be able to enable traffic with vcds or obd11.
Google Earth and carnet are both SWaP (software as a product) features which require VW to activate online with dealer tools (and payment).
You can try and talk to your dealer about it but they are both not officially supported in Australia.
And there is little point with carnet as the services are geographic.
Google Earth however works if active.

bunglebp
17-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Should be able to enable traffic with vcds or obd11.
Google Earth and carnet are both SWaP (software as a product) features which require VW to activate online with dealer tools (and payment).
You can try and talk to your dealer about it but they are both not officially supported in Australia.
And there is little point with carnet as the services are geographic.
Google Earth however works if active.

Oooh Thank u Kamold for the reply! Might have to invest in a OBD11 unit then hehe, soo frustrating having features that i know should be available but arent hehe,

TMC / RDS is a definite and suppose i can live without google earth and car net :)

Just to confirm RDS can be activated with OBD11?? as i dont have that option, TMC is on already, also is gracenote able to be turned on do you know? i dont know if you could ping me a list of what can be turned on the discover pro unit (2017)?

kamold
17-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Where abouts are you located? If you only want to enable a few things rather than learn to tinker, there are forum members around Sydney who will be able to do the adaptation changes for you in exchange for beer or similar.

bunglebp
17-05-2017, 11:47 AM
based @ Campbelltown, yeah only wanting to enable some missing features that are missing and have been tested on the Discover Pro only :)

kamold
17-05-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm north west but have a look in the stickied thread for scanning tools and you should be able to find someone closer.

bunglebp
22-05-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm north west but have a look in the stickied thread for scanning tools and you should be able to find someone closer.

Quick question for you if i can..do you have DVBT enabled on your discover Pro? I have Discover Pro 2 and it says in the manual there should be a TV option?

kamold
22-05-2017, 11:21 AM
I don't have a discover pro.
Have installed a few.
Dvbt has never been offered from factory in Australia for the discover platform.

bunglebp
23-05-2017, 07:18 AM
Sorry to bother you again Kamold but quick question..Can ODB11 enable VIM? If so is it an easy option to find? I read some forums saying it can and others saying i need buy a module??

kamold
23-05-2017, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure if obd11 can do it. If it could it would be a one click (credits) procedure.
Only program that I know for sure can do it is VCP with an optional VIM module.

DV52
23-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Can ODB11 enable VIM? If so is it an easy option to find? I read some forums saying it can and others saying i need buy a module??

Here you go ...

https://youtu.be/SbxiRHPw2sQ

Or you could follow the instructions HERE (https://trick77.com/mmi-vim-login-code-generator-windows-application/)

Or, you could go to the Apps section of the software for your car - pay 100 credits, and use the one-click function
Don

kamold
23-05-2017, 06:02 PM
That's for Audi MMI does it work for MIB also?

DV52
23-05-2017, 07:40 PM
That's for Audi MMI does it work for MIB also?

kamold: Perhaps I wasn't clear - I don't know, I'm suggesting that OP might try.

The App of course is purpose written for a mk7 - so that should work

Don

Schvengb
14-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Hi...this may have been answered before, but should the traffic info work in the 7.5 golfs?

i have enabled the TP option but the TMC looks to be crossed out. Is this available in Oz? I understand the TMC messages aren’t the best...they typically tell you of an accident after you are caught in them. Ideally the same traffic congestion colour features in google maps would be useful but I’m guessing this isn’t possible as we don’t have car-net over here.

Mattlock
14-10-2017, 10:28 PM
I avoid the VW nav and use Google Maps or Apple Maps which does the traffic stuff by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kennyc
15-10-2017, 05:07 AM
The TP option works in mk7 GTI so I assume it should work in the mk7.5 cars....

Rooboy
15-10-2017, 05:25 AM
It's working in my 7.5 Alltrack

bgroper
15-10-2017, 03:41 PM
I avoid the VW nav and use Google Maps ... which does the traffic stuff by default.

+1 for Andriod Auto

TJG
15-10-2017, 04:20 PM
i have enabled the TP option but the TMC looks to be crossed out.

Working from memory here but don't you have to enable both RDS and TP to get traffic to work???

DV52
15-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Hmm............... TP should be active on the 7.5 Golf. Perhaps it hasn't been set-up properly in the FM radio section of the MIB unit. You need to place a tick in the Traffic Program box (see below). If this is done correctly, you should see TP appear on the FM radio screen (see below)

As for enabling TMC, which is an entirely different thing - you will need access to a diagnostic cable/dongle to do this if its not enabled from the factory. I've put the tweak instructions for TMC HERE (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/mk7-golf-tsi-tdi-observations-questions-84967-post1038915.html#post1038915) if you have a VCDS cable

And the instructions for the tweak using OBDeleven are as follows:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/7MIly5spng-1.jpg
You will also need to ensure that Radio Text and RDS is activated (see below). This is because TMC in Australia uses a sub-harmonic of the RDS frequency on the FM band. RDS is the carrier frequency that populates the "textual' information on the FM band screen (see below)

If all goes well you should see the final screen shot below when you press the TRAFFIC button (sorry for the fuzzy image)

Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/4sy4hcU-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/d8dbz0f-1.jpg

Schvengb
15-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Thanks DV52,
interestingly I dont have the same advanced options as the screenshot...no rds tick box.
Might be related to tmc not being enabled though. I’m gonna check with the dealer to see if it in theory was supposed to be active.
cheers

DV52
15-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Thanks DV52,
interestingly I dont have the same advanced options as the screenshot...no rds tick box.
Might be related to tmc not being enabled though. I’m gonna check with the dealer to see if it in theory was supposed to be active.
cheers

Schvengb: If you don't have this part of the screen, then it likely means that the RDS facility hasn't been enabled in the MIB control module. It's not difficult to enable the facility, you just need to have a diagnostic cable. It's simply a matter of setting Byte 13, Bit 0 - and enabling Radio Text is done by setting Byte 13, Bit 3 -see below. The screen shot comes from the Information Electr. module @ address hex5F

Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/hqI7nZJpng1-1.jpg

kennyc
20-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Just noticed mine doesn't work as well on my 7.5 R. Work on my 7 GTI...
I all the options enabled. I'll mention it to the dealership when I take it back in on Friday and see if they can enable it.

Schvengb
23-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Schvengb: If you don't have this part of the screen, then it likely means that the RDS facility hasn't been enabled in the MIB control module. It's not difficult to enable the facility, you just need to have a diagnostic cable. It's simply a matter of setting Byte 13, Bit 0 - and enabling Radio Text is done by setting Byte 13, Bit 3 -see below. The screen shot comes from the Information Electr. module @ address hex5F

Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/hqI7nZJpng1-1.jpg

Hi Don,

So ive coded the changes above using obd (first time user) but alas I’m still not seeing the option to turn on the rds facility in settings. Is there a trick to resetting the discovery pro unit?

I also note that byte 13 bit 2 is enabled in my car....changing it didn’t seem to affect the rds facility however.

cheers

Schvengb
24-10-2017, 06:58 AM
Hi Don,

So ive coded the changes above using obd (first time user) but alas I’m still not seeing the option to turn on the rds facility in settings. Is there a trick to resetting the discovery pro unit?

I also note that byte 13 bit 2 is enabled in my car....changing it didn’t seem to affect the rds facility however.

cheers

scratch that....I missed the “wait about an hour” step. The RDS option is indeed there this morning...TMC working perfectly.
Thanks for the assistance Don!

dmccook
28-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Hi
I just bought a 2nd hand 2018 Tiguan Highline R-Line, with the fancy media interface and having read this thread I’m hoping someone can confirm if RDS and TMC is still able to be enabled via OBD11 - and if so, what version I need to be able to enable it? Do I need the pro version or just the standard version with some credits?
Thanks for your help.
David

Hillbilly
28-03-2021, 06:21 PM
Hi
I just bought a 2nd hand 2018 Tiguan Highline R-Line, with the fancy media interface and having read this thread I’m hoping someone can confirm if RDS and TMC is still able to be enabled via OBD11 - and if so, what version I need to be able to enable it? Do I need the pro version or just the standard version with some credits?
Thanks for your help.
David

You need a Pro version to make it worthwhile Credits soon run out and you can only top them up by buying them or reading 5 ads a day on your phone and must be 24 hour apart

Presumably you have the MMI with the flat face , no knobs.

Look at this thread for what I have done

List of OBDEleven mods and how to do the 30 of them (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f238/list-obdeleven-mods-how-do-30-them-130853.html)

DV52
29-03-2021, 09:37 AM
You need a Pro version to make it worthwhile Credits soon run out and you can only top them up by buying them or reading 5 ads a day on your phone and must be 24 hour apart

Hillbilly: It's not a matter of "to make it worthwhile"!! The crucial issue in the decision to buy (or not to buy) a PRO version is that the base version of OBD11 will NOT allow user access (at all) to either long-code, or adaptation channels, or basic settings, or output data.

The only way that the base model can access the module to make changes is via APPs. I'm not sure if there is a Tiggy APP for TMC, but if it exists, I doubt whether it will consider the status of the RDS software switches in the hex5F module long-code

Hi
Thanks for your help.
David

@dmccook: hopefully the video below is worthwhile (the video shows first generation devices, but the content is valid for nextgen dongles:

https://youtu.be/-yGZVHDGjLM

Don

Hillbilly
29-03-2021, 12:10 PM
What i meant by worthwhile is exactly that Buying a starter pack that only has credits is like buying a car with no tyres. A bit of a waste of time. You get the same results virtually from a $35 Kmart one

If you are going to buy one its worthwhile paying more and getting the pro version

I fully realise what it can and cant do and while i dont have your electronic expertise have managed fine so far with my second hand pro version

dmccook
29-03-2021, 03:20 PM
Thanks heaps guys,
This is essentially what I was trying to confirm - whether the TMC & RDS mods were part of an app, or needed separate coding.
I couldn’t see an app for TMC - I tried asking on the OBD11 site but haven’t heard back.
Looks like I should get the pro, or put up with the car as it is! ;-)

Does the OBDeleven give the same functionality as the VAG-COM cable type scanner from Ross Tech??

For instance, will I be able to enable DSG paddles on my T6.1 transporter if I get a paddle shift steering wheel for it?

Cheers.
David.

Hillbilly
29-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Thanks heaps guys,
This is essentially what I was trying to confirm - whether the TMC & RDS mods were part of an app, or needed separate coding.
I couldn’t see an app for TMC - I tried asking on the OBD11 site but haven’t heard back.

Does the OBDeleven give the same functionality as the VAG-COM cable type scanner from Ross Tech??

For instance, will I be able to enable DSG paddles on my T6.1 transporter if I get a paddle shift steering wheel for it?

Cheers.
David. TMC is by adaptation so a PRO is needed There is NO app for it.

No it isnt as comprehensive as VCDS but for the average guy it does 90% for half the price

I doubt about the paddles with it but DV52 knows more than me. Paddles I wouldnt worry Its not a supercar and Ive got them and I think Ive used them twice in 2 years.

Would consider in a van to be a waste of money

dmccook
29-03-2021, 04:17 PM
TMC is by adaptation so a PRO is needed There is NO app for it.

No it isnt as comprehensive as VCDS but for the average guy it does 90% for half the price

I doubt about the paddles with it but DV52 knows more than me. Paddles I wouldnt worry Its not a supercar and Ive got them and I think Ive used them twice in 2 years.

Would consider in a van to be a waste of money

Having had a Polo for about 8 years and a T5 van both with DSG and no paddles, it drove me crazy that I couldn’t easily shift down for corners. So I drove the Polo in S all the time.

Of course now that I have a 162kW Tiggy with paddles, I dont need them much because it have heaps of power out of corners. DOH.

My T6.1 wont have S, thanks to VW dropping the dual mode gearshift just as I ordered one. So I have to wait and see what the D mode is like in the new van once it is loaded up...

One supplier in UK reckons the paddle shift steering wheel will be plug and play in the T6.1 because we’re getting it with ACC and MFSW etc. fingers crossed...

I reckon paddles are great, even if I dont use them all the time. Each to their own.

David.

DV52
29-03-2021, 04:26 PM
David: why do you need to put-up with either scenario? Shirley there must be someone in Canberra who owns either an OBD11 dongle, or VCDS and is willing to lend a hand? The TMC tweak ain't exactly rocket science (in fact, it's very simple) and for the price of a slab, it might be a very inexpensive solution.
This forum has a "pimping" facility that is specifically designed to introduce consenting parties for this purpose :facepalm:- see here (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f153/vag-com-scanning-who-can-help-27504.html)

hmm...... without overstating the obvious, they are similar - but different devices:

VCDS now has a "unique" pricing option that can limit the number of VINs and OBD11 doesn't do this (yet?).
VCDS has a fixed cable version device as well as a cable/wifi-dongle device and OBD11 only has Bluetooth dongles.
VCDS doesn't require good internet reception at the place-of-use and OBD11 does have this requirement.
VCDS works on MS Windows and there is also a VCDS-Mobile APP and OBD11 will operate on both Android and iOS

Hillbilly
29-03-2021, 04:45 PM
David: why do you need to put-up with either scenario? Shirley there must be someone in Canberra who owns an OBD11 dongle and is willing to lend a hand? The TMC tweak ain't exactly rocket science (in fact, it's very simple) and for the price of a slab, it might be a very inexpensive solution.
This forum has a "pimping" facility that is specifically designed to introduce consenting parties for this purpose :facepalm:- see here (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f153/vag-com-scanning-who-can-help-27504.html)

hmm...... without overstating the obvious, they are similar - but different devices:

VCDS now has a "unique" pricing option that can limit the number of VINs and OBD11 doesn't do this (yet?).
VCDS has a fixed cable version device as well as a cable/wifi-dongle device and OBD11 only has Bluetooth dongles.
VCDS doesn't require good internet reception at the place-of-use and OBD11 does have this requirement.
VCDS works on MS Windows and there is also a VCDS-Mobile APP and OBD11 will operate on both Android and iOS

ATM is rather severely limited in IOS for long coding especially but is still being developed

dmccook
29-03-2021, 06:10 PM

Ah - that sounds very appealing. For one thing I’m not sure if I want to do more than about 2 changes, and I’d also really like to find someone who knows what tehyr’e doing. (Pity I dont have any faith in Canberra’s dealers.) ;-\

[/LIST]

As an Apple user, that’s a + for OBD11, if it can do what I want. I have virtual windows pcs but try to avoid it if I can. (Let’s not start that discussion here)

Thanks again for your help.
I love this forum but find it tragic that I have to go to a public forum to find reliable information about my expensive new car.

Cheers,
David

dmccook
29-03-2021, 06:16 PM
ATM is rather severely limited in IOS for long coding especially but is still being developed

What does “limited” mean wrt fixing the TCM / RDS functions?
��

dmccook
29-03-2021, 06:20 PM
Shirley there must be someone in Canberra who owns either an OBD11 dongle, or VCDS and is willing to lend a hand?

[/LIST]

Sigh. I just searched the “pimping” facility for “Canberra” and came up with “We need an installer in Canberra”.
Maybe I can get a job! Hang on - I retired to go travelling not futzing with cars. ��

Gee I’m glad I dont live in some small backwater...

Looks like I buy my own OBD11 unless someone pipes up in the next day or 2...

Cheers,
David.

Hillbilly
29-03-2021, 07:32 PM
What does “limited” mean wrt fixing the TCM / RDS functions?
��

Read here what it can do https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/8087/ios-development-timeline.

It doesnt work on a windows PC (have been there failed at that) is only for Android and IOS Its a 30 sec job to do what you want as its the easiest mod of all but you need a Pro version to do it

It isnt your new car thats at fault its finding what to use to do unauthorized modifications to it which in some things may or may not void your warranty

Best way is buy a cheap old Samsung Galaxy running android 5.0 or higher and use that. Ive go an old Moto G that the sound is stuffed but still runs OBDEleven quite well.

Hillbilly
29-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Sigh. I just searched the “pimping” facility for “Canberra”

Cheers,
David. You do dont you???????? Was water at one time LOL

blx
01-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Sigh. I just searched the “pimping” facility for “Canberra” and came up with “We need an installer in Canberra”.
Maybe I can get a job! Hang on - I retired to go travelling not futzing with cars. ��

Cheers,
David.

Hey David,

I can help. I am in Tuggeranong

Let me know

FarQ
07-04-2021, 09:38 AM

I'll be up in canberra tomorrow arvo and staying overnight on mny way to sydney...

dmccook
07-04-2021, 09:45 AM
I'll be up in canberra tomorrow arvo and staying overnight on mny way to sydney...

Cheers - I expect mine will arrive in the mail today. ;-)