PDA

View Full Version : Maps and POIs for Discover Media

Pages : [1] 2 3

sucnip
09-12-2014, 11:47 AM
The "2015" version of ROW (rest of world) maps is available for download from Navteq. It is a 4.5gb download that takes between 12 to 24 hours on a typical home connection. The actual installation process (decompressing, backing up existing map data, copying new data, installation) takes 2-4 hours on a typical PC.

Please read the following before choosing to do this upgrade:
0. The update only works if you have a V2 card (see below). V1 owners are out of luck. Sorry.
1. This upgrade is at your own risk (duh!). Remember to back-up your data before beginning.
2. The VW SD card must be re-used. The card itself is the copy protection. You can not use another SD card.
3. Don't ask your $stealership about this update. They will either not know anything about it, be unwilling to help you, or ask for $1000+ to buy the new maps.
4. There are 3 versions of VW maps: USA, Europe and ROW (rest of world). Don't expect to see anything on the VW Australia website.

To download the maps we're going to go to the SOUTH AMERICA VW maps website:
VW_Landing_SA (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqSouthAmerica-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Landing_SA&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqSouthAmerica-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

choose discover media. Download the map files from here:
VW_Discover_Media_SA (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqSouthAmerica-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Discover_Media_SA&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqSouthAmerica-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Update instructions are available here:
VW_Discover_Media_PDF_SA (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqSouthAmerica-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Discover_Media_PDF_SA&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqSouthAmerica-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

To see what version you have press MENU, SETTINGS, System information:

On the root directory of your map SD card is a file called DbInfo.

IF you see the following you have a V1 card. STOP. The update will not work. Sorry.
V1 cards have the following DbInfo file. You can see the 022 in the system information screen.
PartNumber2="5G0919866A "
PartNumber3="5E0919866A "
PartNumber4="5F0919866A "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0022"
SystemName=" ROW 2013 "

V2 version: (Same maps as V1)
PartNumber2="5G0919866G "
PartNumber3="5E0051236D "
PartNumber4="5F0919866G "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0027"
SystemName=" ROW 2014 "

Here is the same from the new version:
PartNumber2="5G0919866R "
PartNumber3="5E0051236H "
PartNumber4="5F0919866L "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0031"
SystemName=" ROW 2015 "

If you're in Sydney and would like help with this or VCDS coding (activate your traffic) send me a PM. Bring beer ;-)

Enjoy!

sucnip
09-12-2014, 11:48 AM
What's new in "2015" maps?

UPDATE: This does not work with V1 SD cards (early 2012/2013 Models)

Auto zoom fixed?? -- Nope. Still jumps around.
Voice pronunciation improvement?? No - still crappy Uk pronunciation. (Text to speech files have been updated however)
Latest maps??

Stay tuned to find out!

"Road" still pronounced 're-yewd'

Eaglehawk
09-12-2014, 12:07 PM
It's a map upgrade, not voice I'm guessing :) (Would be great to be wrong!)

I'm going to have to wait for someone with V1 maps to test this out.

Dawson
09-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Great news, thanks for sharing mate.
Will definitely be doing this update, will be interested to see if there is much change apart from streets.

kryten2001
09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Great post, thanks for this.

Idle
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks for that — going to try it on V1 map card when (and if...) the download finishes.

Wish I could duplicate the card, tho'. Haven't found anything that'll do it as yet.

I think the Chinese can do it, but have yet to discover how.

vyaw2003
09-12-2014, 04:03 PM
i downloaded it, but saw it was europe, so i just deleted it???

vyaw2003
09-12-2014, 04:04 PM
I have been downloading this for about 20 hrs at work, anyone else getting faster download speeds? 20kb/s Sounds too slow to me??

sucnip
09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
@vyaw2003: Switch your language and location to SOUTH AMERICA ;-) Google Chrome will translate the page for you.

Dawson
09-12-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm downloading it now, in the name of the downloading file is ROW. I'm assuming its Rest Of World ?

ClownDog
09-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow, that's some slow downloading, gonna take a week at this rate. Everybody else stop downloading so I can get it faster. :P

MRG_AU
09-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Thanks to sucnip, currently sitting on 30%

BFPO40
09-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look over the weekend, hopefully the nav pro maps are there.

Begs the Question, where is our (Australia & New Zealand) official portal to this service?

Where are the three years of free updates I am supposed to have access to for my nav pro?

kryten2001
09-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Strange, my DL is going quite well... Started 38 mins ago, already downloaded 70% of it.... Coming down over 1mb/sec.

irossiter
09-12-2014, 09:40 PM
I'll have to look at this! I still think it's outrageous just how bad the VW and Audi nav is , let's alone the voice recognition software and the pronunciations. I actually have to just laugh at it or I'd be furious with it. Extremely embarrassing for a German engineered device. Dads S3 has a MUCH higher definition screen but the same appalling voice. The Merc A250 Sport I had for a time puts the VWA system to shame. Hard to fault the Golf VII otherwise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRG_AU
10-12-2014, 07:03 AM
I got it all downloaded but car yet to be delivered. [emoji1] did it just incase the links don't work in future. Did you all updated? Anybody got the chance to confirm new maps! I wish I got the car, here in Canberra there are plenty of new suburbs.

AdamD
10-12-2014, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure these maps are the same as what you'd be supplied by a VW dealer. As far as I'm aware, Australian VW map data is sourced from Sensis? (That's certainly the case for the previous generation RNS-510 headunit fitted to most other VW models.)

This may be a competitor's product. Perhaps just bear that in mind and make sure you still have your original maps SD card before installing these ones. Caveat emptor.

Idle
10-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure these maps are the same as what you'd be supplied by a VW dealer. As far as I'm aware, Australian VW map data is sourced from Sensis? (That's certainly the case for the previous generation RNS-510 headunit fitted to most other VW models.)

This may be a competitor's product. Perhaps just bear that in mind and make sure you still have your original maps SD card before installing these ones. Caveat emptor.

Sensis supplied the AU and NZ maps for previous RNS models, not for the Discover Media and Pro.

The current map series appear to originate in Central Europe and those in use here cover most of the world outside the UK, EU and North America — which probably accounts for the weird pronunciation of street names here, and also the huge download (it took me two attempts to get a clean copy.)

My 2013 model has an earlier map series than the one here (1st series issued in 2012, which got updated at the car's first service in October to a June 2014 issue which operates rather differently and I'm finding I have to re-learn it.)

If I set up a destination in the garage (offroad,) it wants to take me on a 2KM round-the-block detour to the main road (which is less than 150M away) — the original didn't do that, nor did the Sensis maps on the RNS510.

I'll be interested to see if the new one works on my card (it may be for the second series card, which I'm told won't work in my unit.)

kryten2001
10-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Anybody tried this yet?

GolfVII
10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Great info sucnip, I will be downloading this to have a look at it for sure when I get home.

While at work I have been looking at the site in different regions and I must say Australia is cock blocked on everything the reset of the world gets free then we are made to pay for it when it is available here.

"They" wonder why Australia has the highest rate of illegal downloads, how about making it available here! (possibly at the same price as other countries not double just because its Australia)

I cant wait to DL this and pull the audio files apart, I still have not done this to my OEM SD card as 1. I did not want to pay the dealership to fix it and 2. my Satnav has only been used half a dozen times since I got the car but I must say the pronunciation is a good laugh when I do use it.

Idle
10-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I've now tried it on a first series card — didn't work.

The map started to come up, then went back to the initialisation screen with a message to the effect of "Map data is not right -- check data" after which the satnav wouldn't respond at all, just went to the error message.

The backup restored OK, so no harm done.

Evidently there are different maps for early and late cards — mine is the early (2012/13) issue.

I did notice that the new map data was much larger — almost filled the 8GB card.

@GolfVII:- You can copy your card in any card reader without damaging it.

sucnip
10-12-2014, 02:12 PM
@Idle: Bummer. Thanks for trying!

Eaglehawk
10-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Thank you for testing for us Idle...bummer, I'm V1 as well :(

GolfVII
10-12-2014, 03:12 PM
@GolfVII:- You can copy your card in any card reader without damaging it.

Yeah I know, I just been to lazy to purchase a SD card reader for my PC, I don't want to infect the card with Mac files you get after plugging SD cards in OSX system. I had that fun of double ups of music and other files on a SD card after copying them on my Macbook. I finally remembered you could use iTunes to copy the music over with out my Macbook making the ghost/system files in the musics folders.

Guess I'm stopping at MSY on the way home, USB 3.0 card reader $10 :)

dening
10-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Sensis supplied the AU and NZ maps for previous RNS models, not for the Discover Media and Pro.

The current map series appear to originate in Central Europe and those in use here cover most of the world outside the UK, EU and North America — which probably accounts for the weird pronunciation of street names here, and also the huge download (it took me two attempts to get a clean copy.)

My 2013 model has an earlier map series than the one here (1st series issued in 2012, which got updated at the car's first service in October to a June 2014 issue which operates rather differently and I'm finding I have to re-learn it.)

If I set up a destination in the garage (offroad,) it wants to take me on a 2KM round-the-block detour to the main road (which is less than 150M away) — the original didn't do that, nor did the Sensis maps on the RNS510.

I'll be interested to see if the new one works on my card (it may be for the second series card, which I'm told won't work in my unit.)
The Discover gps and maps are from Navteq (Nokia) I believe.

vyaw2003
11-12-2014, 08:40 AM
----ok everyone hold on----
I have the VW v6 sd card in slot 1 as instructed on the packet.
I took it out and I copied off the data, switched the card to write. deleted the data not formatted.
copied data from an unzipped folder.
loaded into slot 1 and 2, no good.
went back to laptop formatted card this time (same as it was fat32 8gig)
from 7zip i extracted the data straight to the card (slower way of doing it).
loaded into slot 1 and 2, no good.
went back to laptop formatted card again (same as it was fat32 8gig)
copied the original data back to the card
loaded into slot 1 and 2, now it works again.

I have a 2013 November/December built VW GTI mk7. bought in January 2014 with a SD card which was brand new from VW and has copywrite 2011 on the back of the packet. I definitely don't have the pro version entertainment system.

Any thoughts or ideas in what i did wrong?

My next idea, was to just delete the AUS folder and copy the new AUS folder across and see what that does????

vyaw2003
11-12-2014, 08:43 AM
@idle - what does the date on the SD card packet say on the back? mine says 2011.

KWS
11-12-2014, 10:18 AM
I have the early version card, loaded the new software yesterday. It doesn't work (same result as Idle)
Reloaded the backup. Old software works fine.
Sucnip is a genius, he will 'sus' it :P

My card details.......

SystemName=" ROW 2013 "

Idle
11-12-2014, 10:21 AM
@idle - what does the date on the SD card packet say on the back? mine says 2011.

My card was already in the slot, so never had the packet — it's a V1 card, though (marked on the front) so quite likely also 2011.

All I had to do to restore the backup was delete the non-working data and copy/paste the original back via Windows 7.

Don't think you did anything wrong — the new data just isn't for that card.

You'd need a way to replace the card's hidden coding — after which the original software wouldn't function, and there's no guarantee the new one would either.

Merely replacing the AUS folder is unlikely to work — there's bound to be unrecognised links to common operations.

Also found that when the dealer updated my maps at the annual service they didn't reset the write protect switch (worth checking after a service.)

Incidentally, all users of this system should back up the data in case of corruption. Replacing it is easier than a trip to the dealer.

vyaw2003
11-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Also found that when the dealer updated my maps at the annual service they didn't reset the write protect switch (worth checking after a service.)

I am due for a service next month, are you saying just my regular 15,000km oil service would include a sd card update complimentary?

I might just wait..

Idle
11-12-2014, 11:32 AM
I am due for a service next month, are you saying just my regular 15,000km oil service would include a sd card update complimentary?

I might just wait..

Depends on the dealer, I suppose, but both VW's I've owned have had the maps updated when serviced.

I only found the current one had been updated when I went to set up a new address and had to change the method — they didn't mention it, although the service rep did tell me of an update to the car's management (which he said I wouldn't notice, but in fact the car is much more biddable now — particularly reversing.)

The nav update wasn't a full replacement — all ID numbers are unchanged, but there are now a lot of files dated June 2014.

Actually, I don't use the satnav very much, usually only for the last kilometre in an unfamiliar area, where it's often quicker than digging out a map.

vyaw2003
11-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Depends on the dealer, I suppose, but both VW's I've owned have had the maps updated when serviced.

The nav update wasn't a full replacement — all ID numbers are unchanged, but there are now a lot of files dated June 2014.

yeah i would love to get the alarms for the '$peed camera$' when driving down to Sydney.
Far Canal. They are a joke.
I had an app on my Google phone, but it was alerting after the camera$.

Dawson
11-12-2014, 02:27 PM
What my dealer has said regarding an update for the maps.
"Unfortunately the Sat Nav map updates aren't due out for the Golf until the last quarter of 2015 at this stage."
Long wait if we can't get these maps to work!

dudgemo
11-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Confirmed working on v2 card.

Dawson
11-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Extracting the files now from Zip. Fingers crossed it works!

Dawson
11-12-2014, 06:56 PM
So I've extracted the files now, I'm a bit confused, do i do a straight extraction from the zipped files onto the SD card or can I just copy over the extracted files to the SD card? The whole group of folders right?

BFPO40
11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Downloading the 13.5GB maps for the nav pro, on an NZ (very bad) connection it's going to take some time, think I'll do one file a night = 14 files = 2 weeks!!

TJG
11-12-2014, 07:49 PM
So I've extracted the files now, I'm a bit confused, do i do a straight extraction from the zipped files onto the SD card or can I just copy over the extracted files to the SD card? The whole group of folders right?

All files/folders (and folder structure) need to be placed at the root of the SD card. It does not matter if you extract the files/folders to a location on PC and then copy them to SD card or if you extract directly to the SD card.

I personally prefer extracting to PC first to ensure there are no errors with the compressed file and then copy to SD.

PS - Don't forget to backup the existing files/folders from the SD card onto PC/HDD/??? (just make sure you have a backup).

Dawson
11-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Nope didn't work on mine. Thought it had because it loaded everything up and started working than a warning came up saying not recognised or something along those lines about 5 seconds after loading up. I've got a V1 SD Card in my system.

MRG_AU
11-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Only person said working is dudgemo. Please help us understand how you did it. Other than V2 card. What steps you followed ? Thanks in advance.

dudgemo
11-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Followed the instructions off the linked website. Copied the original card content onto pc, formatted card then extracted the files onto pc then copied over to the sd card. Then just put the card back into card slot 2, and it worked straight away.

Maybe it has to do with the v1/v2?

MRG_AU
11-12-2014, 11:17 PM
I too think it is the card. Has to be, otherwise so many people cannot go wrong. Please update us if you notice any difference in this update. Thanks

vyaw2003
12-12-2014, 08:39 AM

I tried both it didn't work either way for me.

vyaw2003
12-12-2014, 08:40 AM
how do you tell if you have a v1 or v2 card?

sucnip
12-12-2014, 09:08 AM
V1 cards have the following DbInfo file. You can see the 022 in the system information screen.

SystemName=" ROW 2013 "

V2 cards are 027

V3 (new maps) are 031

KWS
12-12-2014, 09:09 AM
If you look at the first post;
09-12-2014, 12:47PM
SUNCIP
Dubber

Shows the DbInfo file details;

On the root directory of your map SD card is a file called DbInfo.
V2 old version:
PartNumber2="5G0919866G "
PartNumber3="5E0051236D "
PartNumber4="5F0919866G "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0027"
SystemName=" ROW 2014 "

Here is the same from the new version:
PartNumber2="5G0919866R "
PartNumber4="5F0919866L "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0031"
SystemName=" ROW 2015 "

Anybody with a V1 card with the following information (like mine)
will find it does NOT work...........

SystemName=" ROW 2013 "

If anybody finds different, please post.

Dawson
12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Stupid thought, but the DBinfo file is a txt file. Does the system pull this info from this txt file or somewhere else?
Could changing the DBinfo file to the original on a V1 SD card work?
I not a computer wiz, but just thinking out loud.

sucnip
12-12-2014, 11:42 AM
@Dawson: I don't think so. V1 systems have different hardware/firmware.

pepito
12-12-2014, 12:38 PM

New maps installed.

Thanks for sharing @sucnip, look me up next time you're in Melbourne so I can buy you a beer :cool:

vyaw2003
12-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Stupid thought, but the DBinfo file is a txt file. Does the system pull this info from this txt file or somewhere else?
Could changing the DBinfo file to the original on a V1 SD card work?
I not a computer wiz, but just thinking out loud.

just replacing the AUS folder is kind of keeping the that original file, so i will try that next.

Dawson
12-12-2014, 03:21 PM
@Dawson: I don't think so. V1 systems have different hardware/firmware.

Would like to find a way for us with V1 can update the firmware?

vyaw2003
12-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Would like to find a way for us with V1 can update the firmware?
do you think vw would do it for free in a service?
I did definitely get an update on my old mk6 gti at a service once and it made my iPod not work as good.

ClownDog
12-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I am another one that can confirm it works fine with a v2 card. I didn't bother formatting it. I just deleted the file and the folder (after backing up to HD), and then copied across the new file and folder from the download. Tested it out on the road today. All good! Thanks OP.

Wagoneer
13-12-2014, 06:04 AM
I am another one that can confirm it works fine with a v2 card. I didn't bother formatting it. I just deleted the file and the folder (after backing up to HD), and then copied across the new file and folder from the download. Tested it out on the road today. All good! Thanks OP.
+1 �� ��

DV52
13-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Here's the sleeve for the card that VW supplies for V1 version. Has anyone found a way of making the new updates work on these cards?

peekay34
13-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks worked perfectly on my V2 card backed up install and "BOOM" it works.

veew
13-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I've got a V1 card. Downloading taking me ages, keeps cutting out. I will see how other V1 owners go, if it works then I'll persist with trying to download these darn files.

Eaglehawk
13-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Don't waste your download quota. V1 is a fail. (according to others)

If you still want it to muck around, give me a PM.

datracer99
13-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Great thread. Thanks for sharing.
I'm just contemplating replacing my Mk5 GTI with a Mk7, and was wondering about map updates, and particularly POIs.
I have an aftermarket GPS in the Mk5 which displays speed cameras and especially school zones.
I'm guessing that these can't be loaded to the GPS in the Mk7?

Thanks

sucnip
13-12-2014, 04:29 PM
MK7 GPS does not do POI's for speed cameras and school zones. You might be able to load the POI's, but there are no warnings or alerts. It would simply show you there there is a POI nearby at every zoom level. Not helpful. You're better off with a $100 Garmin or a TomTom.

dp

ajay1940
14-12-2014, 10:34 AM
MK7 GPS does not do POI's for speed cameras and school zones. You might be able to load the POI's, but there are no warnings or alerts. It would simply show you there there is a POI nearby at every zoom level. Not helpful. You're better off with a $100 Garmin or a TomTom.

dp

+1.
That's what I did. I keep my cheap Tom Tom in the centre compartment. Set volume to max and all "safety" camera warnings are heard loud and clear.

BFPO40
14-12-2014, 01:52 PM
I've downloaded all 14 parts of the nav pro update and extracted them using 7z, now pending doing the update which can take up to 4 hours.

Think I'll connect a battery charger for this process, do I need a special charger?

tomcat225
14-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Dam mine is V1 :( got very excited and disappointed all very quickley

armthehomeless
18-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Does this upgrade do anything to the traffic activation??

My traffic worked from the start, just worried updating will reset it somehow.

TJG
18-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Does this upgrade do anything to the traffic activation??

My traffic worked from the start, just worried updating will reset it somehow.

Nope - Traffic still works fine. It remembers all of the previous "destinations" etc.. as well.

armthehomeless
18-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Awesome. Might have to give it a go!

simm0
18-12-2014, 04:34 PM
I currently have a V1 card, and new maps don't work as per advice here. VW Osb Park can sell me a V2 card for $79 does anyone know if this will work or will I need some sort of firmware update for it to accept the V2 card?

Moonee
18-12-2014, 04:41 PM
I currently have a V1 card, and new maps don't work as per advice here. VW Osb Park can sell me a V2 card for $79 does anyone know if this will work or will I need some sort of firmware update for it to accept the V2 card?

If you're getting from an official VW dealer shirley you'd expect them to sell it on a "works or full refund" basis ?

DV52
18-12-2014, 05:39 PM

simmo: What - the stealer at Osb Park want you to pay $79? That's outrageous!

Either the V2 card won't work on your V1 car ( I suspect this outcome)- in which case the stealer has sold you a dud, or the V2 card will work - in which case it should be provided at no additional cost when you get the next service done. In both scenarios, you should not have to give the stealer any additional money for a normal map upgrade (IMO)

Idle
18-12-2014, 05:49 PM
I read somewhere — forget where — that they're different and the earlier unit (the one without A on the end of its part number) won't accept them.

One of the drawbacks (or advantages — depending on whether you use them or sell the hardware/software) of SD cards is that they can be locked to specific hardware during manufacture and there's little the end user can do about it.

Eaglehawk
18-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Doesn't work. Already tried. (And they wanted to charge more than $79)

simm0
18-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah $80 although I called them again to order it and they said an V2 card most likely won't work for my Jul 2013 Golf GTI.

Idle, My device part number is 5G0035846A and Nav DB number 5G0919866A, does that mean that v2 card may work in my case? Failing that anyone know where to look for a Discover Software/firmware update (I'm running 0421 at the moment)

I asked the dealer if a firmware update was something that could do next service and they said no, there isn't an update available that is currently supplied to the dealerships, its just the factory installed versions for now. Called VWA and they said the same thing :(

Getting hassled by my lady to get the new maps going!

Idle
18-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Just check the card you already have — should be marked V1 or V2 (mine is clearly marked V1.)

If it's V1, forget it — if it's V2 then the new download should work on your existing card.

DON'T forget to make a copy of the existing S/W first!! — if the upgrade doesn't work then just copy the old one back again.

I've re-copied my card twice without incident. Don't make a habit of it, though, flash cards have a finite life — the less you write to them the longer they last.

Full info on the V1 card is in post 28.

Re price of a new card, anything over about $25 for an 8GB is an obvious ripoff.

vyaw2003
22-12-2014, 09:30 AM
ok, so i just copied the new contents of the AUS map folder. The maps started to load in the car, then my location showed up, and then it came up with the same stupid error. :(

Idle
22-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Yes, that's what happens with a V1 card.

It's all in the holy name of profit, but I think we're entitled to feel neglected.

rustyfox
29-12-2014, 02:32 PM
I've downloaded all 14 parts of the nav pro update and extracted them using 7z, now pending doing the update which can take up to 4 hours.

Think I'll connect a battery charger for this process, do I need a special charger?

How did you get on? I'm trying to update via a V2 card - extracted okay etc but when I put it in the car it's just stuck on 'Checking Navigation Data'.

Did you see that? How long did it take?

BFPO40
29-12-2014, 07:14 PM
How did you get on? I'm trying to update via a V2 card - extracted okay etc but when I put it in the car it's just stuck on 'Checking Navigation Data'.

Did you see that? How long did it take?

Hi, I have not updated the car yet, it is ready to go but just haven't got around to it, busy time over the holidays!

Bear in mind that my update is for the Nav Pro which does not come with a VW SD card, I can use any class 10/SDHC card as long as it is formatted correctly for my system.

The update takes from 2-4 hours for the Nav pro.

For the Discover Nav, once it is on the SD card it should be instant as the Discover Nav runs the maps from the SD card.

nodoze
29-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I updated the maps on my V2 card yesterday without any issues. After making a back-up of the original DBInfo.txt file and Markets directory from the VW SD card, I simply deleted these files from the card and then copied the new DBInfo.txt file and Markets directory on to the VW SD card. I then reinserted the SD card into the SD2 slot whilst the ignition was off, started the car and the new maps appeared in the Navigation system after a few seconds. The map info now shows up as 2015.

One thing I did notice is that my Navigation SD card was inserted into the SD1 slot from the factory/dealer, rather than the SD2 slot which the instructions on the Navigation.com site state that the VW SD card must be installed in. Whilst my 2014 maps seemed to work without any issues in the SD1 slot, I'm not clear if the SD2 slot actually has any impact on the maps working properly, but the new maps seem to be working ok now in SD2.

sucnip
30-12-2014, 10:18 AM
The slot does not matter.

vyaw2003
30-01-2015, 02:04 PM
simmo: What - the stealer at Osb Park want you to pay $79? That's outrageous!

Either the V2 card won't work on your V1 car ( I suspect this outcome)- in which case the stealer has sold you a dud, or the V2 card will work - in which case it should be provided at no additional cost when you get the next service done. In both scenarios, you should not have to give the stealer any additional money for a normal map upgrade (IMO)

I asked Austral Stealer and they said that it is just a conspiracy to make us all pay the additional money.

bobcrusader
08-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Just updated mine today. Forgot to switch the SD Card lock back on, so it hung at Checking Navigation Data until I removed it, locked it, put it back in and it came straight up. Still has the suburb for my house wrong!

predator
15-03-2015, 04:28 PM
updated mine today and the pronunciation is just as bad as before - how the hell can they correctly have Ave pronounced as Avenue but completed screw up Rd, Morton gets mangled into something like Muron, and I could go on and on... WTF Volkswagen?

Lupo
16-03-2015, 07:03 AM
Still has the suburb for my house wrong!

Hi there,
Did you try to report the error on HERE - City and Country Maps - Driving Directions - Satellite Views - Routes (http://www.here.com?) That's the map provider for Discover Media. Under feedback (bottom right) you can report map problems. It will probably take sometime for it to come through to the car maps but you would kick-start the process. A friend did this early last year and it's now correct. It might have happened anyway but it can't hurt to report it.
All the best
Lupo

armthehomeless
23-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Finally got around to doing mine....all worked fine :)

Jimi
24-04-2015, 08:59 AM
I had my car in for a service on Monday and they told me they would be happy to update the maps but I apparently have the latest version. I have had the car for a year and it was built in Feb '14 so I'm not sure that's correct after reading all this?

Eaglehawk
24-04-2015, 10:43 AM
I had my car in for a service on Monday and they told me they would be happy to update the maps but I apparently have the latest version. I have had the car for a year and it was built in Feb '14 so I'm not sure that's correct after reading all this?

I'd hazard a guess, they probably don't have the 2015 maps in their inventory yet in Australia perhaps?

Ralfi
24-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I'd hazard a guess, they probably don't have the 2015 maps in their inventory yet in Australia perhaps?

I'll probably work it out when I get the car, but how do you check which version of maps you have? I expect my Jan15 build should come with the latest..

Eaglehawk
24-04-2015, 01:02 PM
I'll probably work it out when I get the car, but how do you check which version of maps you have? I expect my Jan15 build should come with the latest..

It's sorta mentioned on the first post of this thread... :)

Ralfi
27-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Dealer told me today that there are issues with the current version of maps - voice can't pronounce many roads apparently....

Anyway, the service consultant said they've been awaiting an update for a while now (been delayed a few times). She also wasn't sure how customers would be informed of it & suggested I keep calling back every few weeks - if it becomes available, it'd be a simple & quick process of popping into a VW dealer & getting it updated..

BTW, can you mute the voice commands of the GPS? It's a handy feature in Google Maps, where you're familiar with your route & just want to listen to music uninterrupted whilst still having the GPS time/distance left to destination on screen..

Yes. You can set the volume to zero through the menus. Another way is to use the volume control on the wheel whilst a direction is sounding.

& this only impacts the volume of the active application (GPS) does it, whilst retaining the sound for music etc? Smart. Thanks.

lambertia
28-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Yes. You can set the volume to zero through the menus. Another way is to use the volume control on the wheel whilst a direction is sounding.

jetz427
03-05-2015, 05:45 PM
So is it an absolute dead end for those of us with V1?

Idle
03-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Starting to look that way — all I can get is "It's being worked on" but nothing ever shows up.

Jimi
04-05-2015, 09:54 PM
I have V2 and I don't think we are any closer. The fix will hopefully cover all versions

Highcam
19-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi Guys
I just successfully updated the Map on my 2014 GTI Performance, Version 2, from 0027 2014 Map to this new 0031 2015 Map.
Thanks to all who helped with this.
The download can take a while, and the extract and update process also can be a bit long, and I have a suggestion that worked for me:
After the download open the .7z zip file and extract ONLY the DBInfo.txt file and the aus folder found inside the markets folder. I put the download and the extracts in a new folder on my laptop. Then backup (copy) your complete old SD card info into a new backup folder, this step will take a little while. Then delete the old DBInfo.txt file and all the folders inside the markets folder on the SD card (Keep the markets folder). Now copy the NEW DBInfo.txt file to the root of the SD card (meaning Not inside a folder) and the NEW aus folder needs to be copied inside the markets folder.
This way is quicker because all the unnecessary country map folders are not copied. I don't think I will ever take my GTI to countries like India or Asia:rolleyes:
Regards
Mike

booba
24-05-2015, 10:25 PM
:(. Looks like the only option for us V1 peeps is jku and their discovery pro packages.

rt gti
13-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Hi,

I have successfully completed the update following both the OP's instructions along with Highcam's streamlined suggestions above. Worked perfectly and I found Highcam's suggestion saved a fair bit of time. Thanks very much to both.

Cheers

Rick

Godspeed
15-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Using the car sat nav now more instead of phone in a new R and a road sign came up under the speed limit sign. It is a red car and a black car side by side. I have googled this too much but now obsessed with finding out what this means if there is a list anywhere of symbols. Any idea? and
Is there any traffic service operating with these cars in Australia?

turtle
15-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Using the car sat nav now more instead of phone in a new R and a road sign came up under the speed limit sign. It is a red car and a black car side by side. I have googled this too much but now obsessed with finding out what this means if there is a list anywhere of symbols. Any idea? and Is there any traffic service operating with these cars in Australia? Like this? It means no overtaking in Europe.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18276&stc=1

Idle
15-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Is there any traffic service operating with these cars in Australia?

Traffic information service ?
read through this thread — might help.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...mk7-84619.html

Idle
15-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Sorry, stuffed up again...

Flipper Dog
15-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Just picked up the new 92TSI with the 6.5" discovery MIB II, maps are now V3 (3G0 919 866 K). Has a quick look with VCDS but yet to find out if traffic signs work, also interested in this with the Audi's system.

Godspeed
16-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Yes! That is it. Whew, can now get to worrying over some other trivia~! :rolleyes: Thank you very much for the response turtle.

DV52
16-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Like this? It means no overtaking in Europe.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/18276-boom-new-2015-maps-available-discover-media-free-download-sign-jpg

Turtle: Hi
I was surprised to hear that this facility was working in Australia. The "Traffic sign" recognition is not part of the SATNAV unit (as I understand), it's a function of the driver assist facility and specifically, the front looking camera that is positioned in front of the rear vision mirror (VW call it R242).

I had first thought that the picture that you posted would just be a result of the front camera picking up the flow of vehicles in adjacent lanes. When did Australia start using the "red filter" system for traffic sign recognition?

Don

turtle
19-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Turtle: Hi
I was surprised to hear that this facility was working in Australia. The "Traffic sign" recognition is not part of the SATNAV unit (as I understand), it's a function of the driver assist facility and specifically, the front looking camera that is positioned in front of the rear vision mirror (VW call it R242).

I had first thought that the picture that you posted would just be a result of the front camera picking up the flow of vehicles in adjacent lanes. When did Australia start using the "red filter" system for traffic sign recognition?

Don
Don,
I don't believe it has anything to do with camera's picking up signs, I think its just programmed into the map in the same way the speed zones are (they also show up on the map).

I don't have the Driver Assist package on my GTI however I still get speed sign show up on the map when driving (using the old map, havn't had a chace to update it yet). Happy to be corrected.

peekay34
20-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Flipper Dog Can you provide me with your VIN number so I can try and get the part numbers for the Radio please.

Webby
24-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Hi,

My VW SD card (V2) when it's in my MK7 Sat Nav is recognised and fully working. However, when I try to read it on a PC (I've tried a few) it's as if it's corrupt or not formatted as no valid partition or files show so I can't copy them off before doing this 2015 update.

Has anyone had similar problems?

thnx
webby

Fish Jetski
08-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Well...that was easier than I thought. Another V2 card successfully upgraded! Thanks for the find.

Is it just me or are the graphics a bit better than previous? The software seems to take a bit longer to load too. Given the length of time it takes to copy the files I'm not going back to check though.

JR GTI PP 14
10-10-2015, 09:08 PM
For anyone with V1 SD you can update your map here for free!

GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com (http://www.navigation.com)

This is the Naviteq (now called "Here" maps) website. I successfully updated my V1 SD card to the latest 2015 maps today. It's a big file at around 5.6 GB but totally worth the download. You will need to also download 7zip but a link is included in the website instructions.

You need to select "manufacturer installed" for the unit and then your model details.

To confirm, this worked with my 2013 build Mark 7 GTI with Discover Composition Media with V1 2013 maps.

Can't recommend this download enough and happy to finally have a result for us V1-ers!

Haven't tried this for the later versions but would imagine it would work without issues.

JR GTI PP 14
10-10-2015, 09:20 PM

This is the Naviteq (now called "Here" maps) website. I successfully updated my V1 SD card to the latest 2015 maps today. It's a big file at around 5.6 GB but totally worth the download. You will need to also download 7zip but a link is included in the website instructions.

You need to select "manufacturer installed" for the unit and then your model details.

To confirm, this worked with my 2013 build Mark 7 GTI with Discover Composition Media with V1 2013 maps.

Can't recommend this download enough and happy to finally have a result for us V1-ers!

Haven't tried this for the later versions but would imagine it would work without issues.

VW_Tim
11-10-2015, 09:43 PM
You sir are a champion - just started the download. Have only been waiting for this for two years.
Hope it works.

jayburls
12-10-2015, 06:02 PM
You deserve a beer my fellow VDubber.
Id actually given up on ever getting a V1 update. I'm trying the part downloads as I live in Altona, Vic which has some of the worst broadband (bring back dial up. lol)
Ill let u know how it works peeps.

Eaglehawk
13-10-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm downloading this now, but things I've noticed before the download has finished:

1. It's the same filename as the original post which only worked for V2 versions.
2. When you select the 2014 model, it's also the same filename.

I'll confirm my findings in a moment, but JR GTI PP 14, can you provide a photo of your SETTINGS for your SatNAV? (Device Part No.)

Update: I can confirm that "new" link is the same file as the original post. (Same byte size anyway)

StevieGTI7
13-10-2015, 10:47 AM
I downloaded the 2014 year map as my Golf was a 2014 build but no luck with having it accepted. I think this was an error on my part and I should have gone for the 2013 year map as I have a V1 map currently installed. Left it downloading at home and will extract the files tonight to see if this works.

VW_Tim
13-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I've downloaded all versions (2012-2014), all appear to be the same. My 2013 didn't work in my 2013 model....
DBInfo files indicates it is for part No:
5G0919866R
5E0051236H
5E0919866L

Mine is 5G0035846A

Looks like I'll have to continue waiting (cry).

BTW, if you want your navi to respond quicker - delete all folders bar aus in the markets folder ;-) Unless you intend to drive your car there!

JR GTI PP 14
13-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Guys, not sure why it isn't working for you? Worked perfectly for me....

My system info on the DCM shows the following info (can't get pic uploaded as I'm using my phone)

Device part number: 5G0035846A
Hardware: 040
Software: 0430
Navigation database: 5G0919866R 0031 ROW 2015
Media codec: N/A

I used 2013 as model year and downloaded the whole map. Also it is important the file is copied to the original VW SD card (following backup on PC) and the file is saved as per the instructions. The SD card must not have additional folders otherwise the data will not be read.

Can confirm again that my card was V1 and previous map was 2013. I've just formatted the V1 card and loaded the new map.

JR GTI PP 14
13-10-2015, 06:39 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/webkit-fake-url://062c98f8-9bc9-412f-bc6c-4e57917cc2d4/imagejpeg

maz124s
13-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Mine is definitely not working either for V1 Card P\N: (5G0919866A)

JR GTI your card may not be a V1 card your device part number seems to indicate - doing some forum research below it is later build than our V1 cards Part No - from this post anyway, the V1 Cards seem to be supplied starting in the first build MK7 Dec 2012 timeframe

________

On my Oct 13 build MY14 103kW Highline, I clicked on "system information" while in navigation mode and the following was displayed:

Software: 0421
Navigation database: 5G0919866A 0022 ROW 2013

And as VW_Tim mentioned the file name and download is exactly the same as V2 cards mentioned in first post - on the download page is mentions that its a 5.7 Gb download yet download was 4.6 Gb so i wonder if the wrong file is being supplied on download site also

Very frustrating for sure - was this close it seems :)

maz124s
13-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Also studying the download links and website its exactly the same website as first posted in this thread just renamed to Here Maps

StevieGTI7
13-10-2015, 08:32 PM
2013 year map was a no go also. Followed the instructions to the letter but the screen displayed the dreaded 'The navigation data in the infotainment system are not valid. Please check data.' Reloaded my back up V1 and I'm back to original.

My SD card is part number 5G0919866A.
2015 DB info is for part number 5G0919866R

system info with v1 map installed is:

Software: 0421
Navigation database: 5G0919866A 0022 ROW 2013

DV52
13-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Hm............ can anyone who has successfully updated their V1 SATNAV confirm that the flle structure and file sizes from the download are the same as shown in the picture below (total download size = 4.46 GB for the 5 x files)
Thanks in advance
Don

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/F2Dlimrpng-2.jpg

VW_Tim
14-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Hey DV52,
I got the same structure and file size (also downloaded all single file versions), extracted data is exactly same for ALL years.
Tried to download the South African ROW version as well (much faster download), same contents.
I think this one is a dud guys.
I'll give it a week or so and try and download again, maybe they distributed wrong version (V2?).

KWS
14-10-2015, 11:27 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19484&stc=1
My Mk7 GTI is 2013 build.
First I tried the 2013 version - No go.
Second, tried the 2012 version - No go.
Interested to know if others have success.

MRG_AU
14-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

Is this the latest hardware firmware and v3 maps version.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/cc3040c8b43def7d6a5afacb4ba81772-2.jpg

sorry to ask about V3 in the middle of V1 discussions.

VW_Tim
14-10-2015, 04:15 PM
Hey MRG_AU,
That is probably it - everything after Navigation database: matches contents of dBInfo file (part, version and year).

MRG_AU
14-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Thank you VW_Tim

DV52
14-10-2015, 06:21 PM
OK fellow V1 SATNAV colleagues - what's the accepted wisdom?

Is the update maps version on the website that claims to apply for 2012 2013 2014 working, or not?

Has anyone with a V1 SATNAV actually been able to successfully install the new software?
Don

tomcat225
15-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Has anyone with a V1 SATNAV actually been able to successfully install the new software?
Don

No dice here, ive tried 13 and 14

maz124s
16-10-2015, 10:29 AM
No dice here, ive tried 13 and 14

Consensus is it is exactly the same download as originally reported in this tread and thus V1 cards still are not able to updated

Nauend
16-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Didn't work for me either - immediate error- so I tried the new mapbase with the old dbinfo file and it went further and displayed a map but then displayed the error..... At least we can get the pronunciation update from what some of the other posts say?

tomcat225
21-10-2015, 11:06 AM
The V1 map struggle is real... Sigh

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/718b3b3d99ec0b49e657d701b8e758cf-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/10/18e9b46d3bea1206087244c27f65fe48-2.jpg

StevieGTI7
11-11-2015, 09:36 PM
No one have any luck with the V1 update. I tried a second attempt but no progress.

tomcat225
12-11-2015, 09:24 AM
No one have any luck with the V1 update. I tried a second attempt but no progress.

Just got a response 3 weeks after my original inquiry today.. Sigh
Navigation.com also deflected my email on to Volkswagen...

Good morning Thomas,

Thank you for your email.

There is currently no update as yet for the Golf 7 maps.

We are still waiting on update from our factory for when this will be released. However, when it is released, our dealer network will be advised of this and you can get your maps updated at your local dealership.

The reference number for your email is 1098038.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Group Australia.

Kind regards,

RXXX XXXXXX
Customer Care Case Advisor

VOLKSWAGEN GROUP AUSTRALIA
24 Muir Road
Chullora NSW, 2190

PO Box 5155
Chullora NSW, 2190
AUSTRALIA

tomcat225
12-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I replied back with an email and some screenshots of how ridiculous it was and to their credit I got a call back straight away..
Take this with a grain of salt but I was told the following via the phone...

There will be an update for V1 early next year
It will be made available through the dealerships and not navigation.com
This will be a chargeable however we were "encouraged" to negotiate with our dealer

Sounds like BS.

StevieGTI7
13-11-2015, 09:24 AM
"Encouraged" to negotiate - So mum and dad drivers will pay for it as a little 'extra' at their next service and everyone on here will get it at no cost as a 'gesture' from VW when we kick up a stink.

TJG
23-11-2015, 02:27 PM
2016 Maps are now available on the Australian navigation website.

Home (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_GB/-/AUD/Default-Start?NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site)

DBInfo.txt file contents (eg. version etc..):

PartNumber2="5G0919866AM"
PartNumber4="5F0060884R "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0034"
SystemName=" ROW 2016 "

dudgemo
23-11-2015, 04:04 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/279e7c77b83b90d8b408e7cb297db1cd-1.jpg

Confirmed working on V2 card on Mib1

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

MRG_AU
24-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Worked perfectly on V3 no issues so far

Regards,
MRG

Idle
24-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Still doesn't work on V1 — when the 2013's didn't work I even downloaded the 2012 maps, which ought to encompass the very earliest Discover Media units.

When my TDI had its second service last month, I enquired of the service "consultant," who thought there "might" be a map update for my unit next year (much the same answer as I got last year.)

In other words, I've been sold yet another Volkswagen pup.

Mikey1
24-11-2015, 06:06 PM
BTW, if you want your navi to respond quicker - delete all folders bar aus in the markets folder ;-) Unless you intend to drive your car there!

I tried this without any luck using a V2 card and ROW 2016 maps. The navi system wouldn't move off the initial loading page and requested a valid file be used. Sort of makes sense as it's not mentioned in the step-by-step instructions that this option exists. It would be great if it did, as the "aus" folder contents are only 414 MB in size instead of 5.83 GB for the entire "markets" folder contents.

rscott4563
25-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't find a specific answer.

I have a new MY16 Golf R Wolfsburg and my maps software provided is as follows:

PartNumber2="3G0919866K"
PartNumber3="5L0051236G"
PartNumber4="6P0919866C"
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0420"
SystemName="MRM2 2015/16"

The map data downloaded from the link above is:
SystemName=" ROW 2016 "

What I'm not sure of is if the maps I've downloaded are newer (i.e. an update to what's already installed) or not?

frostywinter
25-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Anyone with a MY16 Golf tried this new ROW 2016 update yet?

VW_Tim
25-11-2015, 09:46 PM
I tried this without any luck using a V2 card and ROW 2016 maps. The navi system wouldn't move off the initial loading page and requested a valid file be used. Sort of makes sense as it's not mentioned in the step-by-step instructions that this option exists. It would be great if it did, as the "aus" folder contents are only 414 MB in size instead of 5.83 GB for the entire "markets" folder contents.

Hey Mikey,
I have V1, I'll have a look on the weekend again on folder contents (I'm interstate atm) and advise. But mine definitely works a LOT faster.

MRG_AU
25-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Hi VW_Tim, I deleted all folders except Aus and it is stuck at checking navigation. I am also interested to know how you did it.

Regards,
MRG

MRG_AU
26-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Ok trick is to reset the system once the SD card is inserted by press n hold media unit power button until it resets. If it is not done and structure change from what it read before I observed it going into checking navigation data and stuck

Single aus folder worked perfectly. Have to see if it is really fast[emoji6]

Regards,
MRG

Merlin8r43
27-11-2015, 06:26 AM
Hi VW_Tim, I deleted all folders except Aus and it is stuck at checking navigation. I am also interested to know how you did it.

Regards,
MRG

Did you leave the 'Aus' folder within the 'Market' folder? If you don't have the market folder it won't work.

MRG_AU
27-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Yes it has to be there under market, the only folder in root. Coming to speed obviously it is supposed to be faster but I don't think I noticed it. May be navigating on close network of roads I may see a difference. All i wanted to know is would it work just with aus folder and it worked after reset.

Regards,
MRG

chetnik73
28-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I know it has been said before, but does the reset allow V1cards to work? Surely somebody has works out a V1 solution. Damn you VW

VW_Tim
29-11-2015, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=MRG_AU;1162721]Yes it has to be there under market, the only folder in root. Coming to speed obviously it is supposed to be faster but I don't think I noticed it. May be navigating on close network of roads I may see a difference. All i wanted to know is would it work just with aus folder and it worked after reset.

/QUOTE]

Hey MRG,
I should elaborate, the actual navigation isn't quicker but the entry of streets and suburbs is. Before I always had to wait for the next letter to show up, now I can "just" type. I think this is due to not having to look through so many files.
I'm tempted to also delete the NZ files, but just haven't had the time and am happy the way it works (bar the outdated navi software).
Cheers.

MRG_AU
29-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks VW_Tim. Yes, I did notice the entry of street and suburbs are faster. Btw I deleted NZ entries under Aus folder and it worked

Regards,
MRG

prn31
16-12-2015, 02:26 PM
So I have a V3 card with ROW 2015 maps trying to update to ROW 2016. I've downloaded my ROW 2016 maps to my laptop and also saved a ROW 2015 back-up to my laptop.

However when I try and reformat my SD card prior to copying ROW 2016 onto the SD card I can't because it is write-protected. What do I do? The dealer won't give me ROW 2016 but is happy to sell it to me via Spare Parts.

I note that when I went into Navigation.com my model year (MY15) wasn't selectable so I ticked MY14.

prn31
16-12-2015, 03:08 PM
So I have a V3 card with ROW 2015 maps trying to update to ROW 2016. I've downloaded my ROW 2016 maps to my laptop and also saved a ROW 2015 back-up to my laptop.

However when I try and reformat my SD card prior to copying ROW 2016 onto the SD card I can't because it is write-protected. What do I do? The dealer won't give me ROW 2016 but is happy to sell it to me via Spare Parts.

I note that when I went into Navigation.com my model year (MY15) wasn't selectable so I ticked MY14.

Ok, so I didn't know you had to "unlock" SD card. So I've done this, reformat the card and then copied all five folders across. But it hasn't worked at all.

I can't open these new five folders for ROW 2016 on my computer so have no idea about root directory or markets. Have I downloaded this from Navigation.com incorrectly? - I did this in five downloads.

TJG
16-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Ok, so I didn't know you had to "unlock" SD card. So I've done this, reformat the card and then copied all five folders across. But it hasn't worked at all.

I can't open these new five folders for ROW 2016 on my computer so have no idea about root directory or markets. Have I downloaded this from Navigation.com incorrectly? - I did this in five downloads.

The five folders are actually 5 parts of one large compressed archive (zip) file. You need to use 7-Zip to combine the 5 files together and extract the contents. You can get 7 zip here 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/)

prn31
16-12-2015, 04:51 PM
The five folders are actually 5 parts of one large compressed archive (zip) file. You need to use 7-Zip to combine the 5 files together and extract the contents. You can get 7 zip here 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Thanks for that. I did have 7 zip downloaded but obviously didn't know how it worked - online tutorial sorted this for me. Files now extract and now copying to the SD Card, which will take a while... 5.83GB and 50,000 plus files!

I'm tempted to delete those country folders that are not required including NZ but will just proceed one step at a time and make sure ROW 2016 loads before I try to get too smart. :-)

prn31
16-12-2015, 07:53 PM
So I now have ROW 2016 maps! I deleted all the market folders bar Australia, but didn't bother deleting New Zealand. I don't imagine it will make that much of a difference.

Hopefully entering destinations will now be as quick as .... the old tech RNS510 (with 2015 V8 Maps) in my Passat. :rolleyes:

Kiaorana
17-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any chance upgrading the maps on a MY16 with MIBii?

Cheers boys!

agentthumb
20-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Just did mine on MIB 1 on a 2015 Golf. Anyone else missing street labels on the map?

I see the pins on the street, but the street names don't show up. Same thing with state route markets. The blue badge things show up, but the numbers in them are missing...

Edit: Got it to work. Mac OSX and Unarchiver unarchives the files fine, but must have corrupted something. Did it on Windows with 7zip, all is good.

rpwolf
30-01-2016, 10:18 PM
So I now have ROW 2016 maps! I deleted all the market folders bar Australia, but didn't bother deleting New Zealand. I don't imagine it will make that much of a difference.

Hopefully entering destinations will now be as quick as .... the old tech RNS510 (with 2015 V8 Maps) in my Passat. :rolleyes:

Need a bit of help/advice here. I've tried to update the maps a few times, followed all the instructions, but I just get an error when hitting the Nav button. Any tips would be appreciated!

I have a Mk7 R Wolfsburg wagon, built July 2015 (does that make it MY15 or MY16?) and it came with an SD card that says Multi Region Map 2 (v3).

I downloaded the 5 zip files and unzipped - you only need to unzip the first one right?? The others wouldn't unzip. Whenever I tried downloading it as one file it would get to 99% and then just stop.

When I did the unzip I noticed the file structure looks very different in the new download vs. the original SD card folders so maybe the Nov 2015 maps update incompatible with my unit?:
Original SD card - root\maps\21, 22, 23 etc
http://i.imgur.com/TvZjgu0.jpg

Extracted download - root\markets\asia, aus, etc
http://i.imgur.com/u1pDHiO.jpg

Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

Flipper Dog
31-01-2016, 09:08 AM
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the downloaded maps you are looking at are only compatible with MIB1 units (the old one without App connect). Do you have the newer model with MIBII, if so that would be a MY16.

kabnine
31-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Double up

kabnine
31-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Need a bit of help/advice here. I've tried to update the maps a few times, followed all the instructions, but I just get an error when hitting the Nav button. Any tips would be appreciated!

I have a Mk7 R Wolfsburg wagon, built July 2015 (does that make it MY15 or MY16?) and it came with an SD card that says Multi Region Map 2 (v3).

I downloaded the 5 zip files and unzipped - you only need to unzip the first one right?? The others wouldn't unzip. Whenever I tried downloading it as one file it would get to 99% and then just stop.

When I did the unzip I noticed the file structure looks very different in the new download vs. the original SD card folders so maybe the Nov 2015 maps update incompatible with my unit?:
Original SD card - root\maps\21, 22, 23 etc
http://i.imgur.com/TvZjgu0.jpg

Extracted download - root\markets\asia, aus, etc
http://i.imgur.com/u1pDHiO.jpg

Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

I have downloaded a 6 File Zip that has that file structure by mistake. Let me see if I can find the link.

EDIT: I found it. Second set of 6 files lists Australia

VW_Middle_East_media_mib2 (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Middle_East_media_mib2&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Won't guarantee that is it, but it has the same file structure.

rpwolf
01-02-2016, 10:17 PM
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the downloaded maps you are looking at are only compatible with MIB1 units (the old one without App connect). Do you have the newer model with MIBII, if so that would be a MY16.

I believe it's MIBII. How can you tell? I think the manual says Discover Media Generation 2.

rpwolf
01-02-2016, 10:18 PM
I have downloaded a 6 File Zip that has that file structure by mistake. Let me see if I can find the link.

VW_Middle_East_media_mib2 (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=VW_Middle_East_media_mib2&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Thanks - will give it a shot and see what happens! Nothing to lose I suppose, can always just copy over my backup again.

anonymous
02-02-2016, 06:40 AM

Confirmed Australia map works for MIB2 - I have updated mine from v420(v3) to v521(v4)

elastica_junky
04-02-2016, 07:00 PM
I have also checked on my MY16 GTI with the MIB2. It is all working properly. I have updated from v3 - v4.

Flipper Dog
06-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Success on MIBII from Map 2 V3 to Map 2 V4.
PITA to extract once downloaded. Few upsetting words during the week but got there in the end. Note to young players who have not used 7-Zip before, watch the you tube instructions first. :google:
My POIs remained there, so no need to re-load them. Traffic works (if you have it enabled).
Had a quick fly around to NZ and found some servos.:cool:

DKC
07-02-2016, 05:09 PM
So it seems like the MIB1 and MIB2 uses very different file structures.

MIB1 uses DBinfo.txt in the root folder, then market/AUS for map

MIB2 just have "maps" folder in the root, then inside maps there are folders 21, 22, 23, 24, 27 and EEC.

Flipper Dog
07-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Yes DKC I found the same, looking back at rpwolf's post (page 16 #157) http://i.imgur.com/TvZjgu0.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/u1pDHiO.jpg I was expecting a different file structure. When I downloaded and moved the files over to the SD card the files were simular to the old ones.
All working well after todays drive. Need to find some new roads to see what changed.

Flipper Dog
13-02-2016, 08:29 AM
So while looking around the net I came across some information in the UK on how many times you can use your SD card to load maps updates to. The UK region ones allow 7 uses, that is the 1st is the original map and you can load up to 6 updates over the life of that card before the need to purchase a replacement. Updates in the UK appear to be 6 monthly so you have 3 years of "free" updates.

Does anyone know if the same applies to our region map updates? Do we also have 7 uses or is this limited in some way? I have not asked the VW (lack of) customer service, 1800 we don't give a hoot, but I hope that the brain trust out there may know the answer.

At the end of the day I don't mine paying a reasonable price for updates. If Here maps are going to release 6 monthly updates and we can get 3 years of downloaded maps before buying a new SD card than I call that reasonable, but only if VW price that SD card into real world pricing ($50 to $150 mark). Has anyone priced a replacement?
A walk next door to Audi and they want a map on a SD card for $600 and then the activation code another $180. Plus the dealer gets to do all the work for you at their hourly rates. Any you have to question why pirates sail the net.

Mattlock
13-02-2016, 08:38 AM
When my Tig went in for it's first service last year, the dealer asked me if I wanted the maps done for $55, even though I retro-fitted the RNS and RVC myself. I said yes and in the process they finished off the VCDS coding I hadn't got around to doing without me asking! :-)

Peteintas
02-04-2016, 02:43 PM
So while looking around the net I came across some information in the UK on how many times you can use your SD card to load maps updates to. The UK region ones allow 7 uses, that is the 1st is the original map and you can load up to 6 updates over the life of that card before the need to purchase a replacement. Updates in the UK appear to be 6 monthly so you have 3 years of "free" updates.

Does anyone know if the same applies to our region map updates? Do we also have 7 uses or is this limited in some way? I have not asked the VW (lack of) customer service, 1800 we don't give a hoot, but I hope that the brain trust out there may know the answer.

Interesting question, I'd be interested to know if this applies to Australian maps?

MikeB
07-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Interestingly my golf my 7 goes in Monday to have updated maps loaded with a new piece of equipment they have.
Originally a full maps update was going to cost $178 which I wasn't keen on. As this came up during a service, on my customer feedback call, I mentioned that I believed when I bought the car, I thought it had free updates.

Anyway, I get a call from service saying they will try applying updates without any mention of $. Will advise how it goes.

bobg
10-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I've got a v3 card and the 2016 maps work for me. I just replaced the existing files with the new ones. Traffic also works

VW_Tim
14-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Hey Guys,
Just letting everyone know that my MIBI (v1) now has the latest 2016 ROW maps up and running! I'll review it all and find changes made by my local VW dealer and let everyone know what I find this weekend.

Eaglehawk
15-04-2016, 08:09 AM
*SHOCK*

Details?! (As in, who did it, which dealer if it was a dealer, costs...)

Looking forward to your report.

Mattlock
16-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Just updated to v4 maps. Pretty straightforward in the end. I thought it was going to be much harder to do (especially as I use Macs).

Sitting in the garage, it's hard to see what's changed and I only really use it when I'm out of mobile range and can't use Apple Maps but at least it's current and I didn't have to pay a Dealer to do it.

Peteintas
16-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Don't suppose there is a change-log for V4, would be interesting to see what's new, or at least when the data was sourced. They used to do this for the RNS510.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VW_Tim
19-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Okay here we go.
V1 with ROW 2016 maps is still working! After hassling VW since my first service in 2014, talking to VW directly (email/phone and threats), there now seems to be a solution for V1!?
After talking to my local VW Service Centre/Manager (Phil at North Shore VW), I have been informed that the issue may be something completely different than we all think (I stand corrected if this is not the case). Was informed that VW only activated MapCare on delivered VWs since after week 43 of 2013. MapCare is apparently required to be able to updated Navigation systems... And I think they have activated this feature now, apparently I was the guinea pig.
I compared my admaps before (when originally bought) and after and could really only find three items that differ:

New
VCID: 2757E22B5E7E2B061F-8072

Coding:02730008FF00000011510001000902001F010496010 0010045

EV_MUStd4CPASE_SK37.rod

Old

VCID: 2757E22B5E7E2B0CF4-8072

Coding:02730008FF00000011510001000900001F010096010 0010245

EV_MUStd4CPASE_SE37.rod

Now the Coding differences are probably due to changes I have done since (haven't check them yet). The rest I am not sure about or what they mean, I am thinking my Navi now has new software SE37 vs SK37? VCID I believe is generated by VCDS, hence not applicable.

Take care and have fun - comments welcome.
Tim

Eaglehawk
19-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Errr...thank you!

Now, from a person who's got a MY13 SatNAV MIB1 card sitting in the glove box for almost 3 years...should I now ask my local dealer for this fix, or are they going act clueless (like they have for the past 2 years) and deny anything exists and that forum posts "are for stupid people that trust the Internet as their car doctor"?

:)

VW_Tim
19-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Hey Eaglehawk,
that is a GOOD question. The way I would put it:
"VW Customer Service has informed me that a fix for my navi has been released and is now ready for installation". If they still don't know, one could let them know that it requires mapcare activation so that the updates (the one you have already downloaded and put onto the SD card) work with the new ROW 2016 that was installed from Navigation.com. Also one could say that my friend with an MK7 has it installed and working?

I experienced that it only works if you go in person and ask for the Service Manager directly.

Good luck... :eek:

Lupo
21-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Hi
I got a similar reply from the dealer. VWA released instructions on how to activate MapCare on the early cars.
There is a unique code which activates MapCare in general for your VIN and after that you can either get the map updates done by the dealer during a service or you download them yourself. Basically you need to visit the dealer at least once to get it activated.

DV52
21-04-2016, 11:18 AM
I compared my admaps before (when originally bought) and after and could really only find three items that differ:

New
VCID: 2757E22B5E7E2B061F-8072

Coding:02730008FF00000011510001000902001F010496010 0010045

EV_MUStd4CPASE_SK37.rod

Old

VCID: 2757E22B5E7E2B0CF4-8072

Coding:02730008FF00000011510001000900001F010096010 0010245

EV_MUStd4CPASE_SE37.rod

Now the Coding differences are probably due to changes I have done since (haven't check them yet). The rest I am not sure about or what they mean, I am thinking my Navi now has new software SE37 vs SK37? VCID I believe is generated by VCDS, hence not applicable.

Take care and have fun - comments welcome.
Tim

Tim: interesting analysis- thanks for sharing. I was intrigued by your comparison, so I used my handy-dandy code-string to byte-list converter (see VCDS reference thread if you want a copy) to produce the table below:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/04/Ylohm7npng-1.jpg

If my guesses are correct, you must have implemented the "nag" screen and the Start-up screen tweaks - is this the case?
If so, the only "unexplained" change has been for Byte14, Bit 1. Not sure what this means, but I suspect that the firmware on your 5F unit has also been modified

Do you have a VW reference number for the update that was done (so I can convince my local dealer service manager that there is actually a fix for the V1 update problem)?

Don

PS: I agree, the ROD numbers are not related to the change - this is an Ross Tech file that clearly has been updated since your original auto-scan

VW_Tim
21-04-2016, 08:07 PM
If my guesses are correct, you must have implemented the "nag" screen and the Start-up screen tweaks - is this the case?
If so, the only "unexplained" change has been for Byte14, Bit 1. Not sure what this means, but I suspect that the firmware on your 5F unit has also been modified

Do you have a VW reference number for the update that was done (so I can convince my local dealer service manager that there is actually a fix for the V1 update problem)?

Don

Hey Don,
Yes you are right about the nag screen and start logo.
I had a look through my coding changes and Byte 13 is actually the bit for deactivation of AM radio.
So all is explained... Leaving firmware.

It's funny you ask about a case no - never got one, BUT VW customer service called me today to follow up on an unanswered email from 5 weeks ago... I explained and asked about you guys. Said that you are definitely welcome to go to the dealer and ask for the change to be done - considering my solution worked - it will be on a case by case basis though (having to pay or not). They also said there were "only" 3000 affected cars...

MikeB
23-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Interestingly my golf my 7 goes in Monday to have updated maps loaded with a new piece of equipment they have.
Originally a full maps update was going to cost $178 which I wasn't keen on. As this came up during a service, on my customer feedback call, I mentioned that I believed when I bought the car, I thought it had free updates.

Anyway, I get a call from service saying they will try applying updates without any mention of $. Will advise how it goes.

Maps updated successfully. Before and after of version screens as well as a neat sticky label one has to peel off the screen:
VW GTI 2013 maps upgrade - Album on Imgur (http://imgur.com/a/RLWwy)

They struggled a bit to update them - they said it was the first time; and said words to the effect that in the end they just had to copy the files over. Anyway it was done at now charge which was great (just a day without car and cost of two two uber rides).

I would be interested to workout whether the files on this are the same as doing a direct download.

In the root directory of the SD card is DBInfo.txt which says:
SystemName=" ROW 2016 "

Most of the markets/aus/map /MapRegion files are dated 16 July 2015.

fontana302
23-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Those files are the same as the direct download based on the DBInfo.txt I have for my MY15 Golf R that I installed myself.

The 10th Doctor
24-04-2016, 10:52 AM
So, I got a Golf R last week and was provided with V3 maps. Am I to understand that V4 is available?

Mattlock
24-04-2016, 11:02 AM
So, I got a Golf R last week and was provided with V3 maps. Am I to understand that V4 is available?

Yep. I took my R's v3 maps to v4 last week.

Follow the instructions a few posts back and you'll get the link to v4. Download, extract with 7zip and paste the complete folder structure and you're done.

It took me a few hours to download (5.5Gb) and about 20mins to extract (6.7Gb) and about 10mins to copy across.

wetnoodle
24-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Is there much different between v3 and v4?

Mattlock
25-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Is there much different between v3 and v4?

TBH, I rarely use it, so I have no idea on the differences. I tend to use Apple Maps on CarPlay because of the live traffic.

I did it simply to keep it current and for when my wife is in the car as she uses it.

tomcat225
27-04-2016, 08:08 AM
I would be interested to workout whether the files on this are the same as doing a direct download.

In the root directory of the SD card is DBInfo.txt which says:
SystemName=" ROW 2016 "

Most of the markets/aus/map /MapRegion files are dated 16 July 2015.

Hi Mike

I downloaded the latest files online and they seem to be identical numbers in the DB info file

SystemName=" ROW 2016 "

Might give it another go updating myself.
Which dealer did you go through... ?

Cheers

Alex31
27-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Hey I know it has probably been spoken about already, but is it possible to update V1 maps?

Lupo
28-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Hey I know it has probably been spoken about already, but is it possible to update V1 maps?

Yes, but you have to visit a VW dealer first to get "MapCare" enabled on your specific VIN number. There is a unique code for each VIN affected.

Eaglehawk
28-04-2016, 06:53 PM
I'm going to call up tomorrow and hope they understand what that means :)

Can I also confirm which map zip file has been used for the MIB1 map updates? I can get different results from the navigation.com search results depending on the links mentioned in this thread...

VW_Tim
28-04-2016, 07:10 PM

Can I also confirm which map zip file has been used for the MIB1 map updates? I can get different results from the navigation.com search results depending on the links mentioned in this thread...

Hey Bud, I got it done and am running the latest 2016 ROW. I'm now certain it has nothing to do with the version numbers.

Eaglehawk
03-05-2016, 10:14 AM

First they said it's a DVD update that's required for my car. :facepalm:

I've thrown them the words "MapCare" MY13 and SD Cards and hope they can understand what I'm talking about.

For those who had it done from their dealer, can you give me (PM) details on their dealer/service manager that knew what they are doing?

Update: They have understood! Car booked in for next week!

kennyc
08-05-2016, 09:18 AM
I took my car in for service the other day and asked for my maps to be updated.
They have updated it without any hassle.

kevvie
08-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Well on my XC90 Volvo they have "free software updates" in their service costs but then tell you it doesn't include maps and that will be $1000 thank you very much - no thanks. So now when I go on holidays on the new freeways, I am driving through farms and it gets awfully confused.

Ralfi
08-05-2016, 01:33 PM
I asked my local dealer last Sat (8 days ago) if there are new maps out. They said they'd get back to me on Monday.

Heard nothing. Typical.

Try again tomorrow.

Well on my XC90 Volvo they have "free software updates" in their service costs but then tell you it doesn't include maps and that will be $1000 thank you very much - no thanks. So now when I go on holidays on the new freeways, I am driving through farms and it gets awfully confused.

$1000!!?! What an utter disgrace that is.

Eaglehawk
08-05-2016, 05:14 PM
$1000!!?! What an utter disgrace that is.

At least they didn't take 3 years to work out they forgot to enable SatNAV updates on their cars...

Eaglehawk
11-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Update: They have understood! Car booked in for next week!

Well, I hoped for the best. Still no update. Ran out of time to try HQ's method of doing the update. Booked in next week again.

Ralfi
12-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Haven't been any new maps for a while according to my dealer, but they expect new ones in a couple of weeks.

& they want to charge $180 for the upgrade (via new SD card)....

Kiaorana
12-05-2016, 01:16 PM
I was told by VW that I should not upgrade the map given the current issues with the MIB2 , they could deny warranty claims.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

agentthumb
12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I was told by VW that I should not upgrade the map given the current issues with the MIB2 , they could deny warranty claims.

LOL That's BS at its finest. Upgrading your MIB1 map has nothing to do with MIB2. Two completely different platforms differentiated by different hardware and software. Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.

And given the update is provided by VW, on what grounds would they deny any future warranty claim?

Kiaorana
12-05-2016, 09:58 PM
LOL That's BS at its finest. Upgrading your MIB1 map has nothing to do with MIB2. Two completely different platforms differentiated by different hardware and software. Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.

And given the update is provided by VW, on what grounds would they deny any future warranty claim?
Sorry about the misunderstanding mate, I have an mib2

agentthumb
13-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Sorry about the misunderstanding mate, I have an mib2

Ahh my bad for assuming. You know what they say...

I still don't see how upgrading map would void warranty given you are performing an intended function of their product. So I still call BS.

Eaglehawk
19-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Finally! I have a map update after almost 3 years of ownership! Let's hope the dealer promises to call people on "the list" and give them the missing MapCare function.

sillygogo
22-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Would any who have successfully upgraded the map from V3 on the MiBII please share the steps. Thank you. This is what I've tried but failed.

1. DL maps from HERE for discovery media, extract using Winrar to HDD, deleted files from V3 Sd card, copy to V3 SD card - failed.
2. DL maps from HERE for discovery media, extract using 7zip to HDD, deleted files from V3 Sd card, copy to V3 SD card - failed.
3. DL maps from HERE for discovery media, delete files from V3 SD, extract using Winrar/7zip to SD card - failed.
4. DL maps from HERE for discovery media, format V3 SD, extract using Winrar to V3 SD card - failed.

Mattlock
22-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I downloaded the maps from the most recent link in this thread.

I extracted the files using 7zip.

I made a copy of my SD card (just dragged the files to the desktop) and then deleted the files from the SD card.

Then I dragged the new, extracted folder to the SD to copy them on to the SD card (having first checked that the folder structure was the same as the old structure).

Ejected the card and stuck it in the car.

All good.

sillygogo
22-05-2016, 02:55 PM
I downloaded the maps from the most recent link in this thread.

I extracted the files using 7zip.

I made a copy of my SD card (just dragged the files to the desktop) and then deleted the files from the SD card.

Then I dragged the new, extracted folder to the SD to copy them on to the SD card (having first checked that the folder structure was the same as the old structure).

Ejected the card and stuck it in the car.

All good.

Thanks Mattlock,

Unfortunately, the structures are different for me.
Original V3 card has Map>21, 22, 23,24, 27 EEC structure.
New download has markets, DBinfo structure.

Which structure did you encounter with?

Mattlock
22-05-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm not in front of my computer at the moment but I will confirm when I get home.

Flipper Dog
22-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Images of my files:

sillygogo
22-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Images of my files:

Hi Flipper Dog,

thank you for the screen shot..looks like I am downloading the wrong file. I selected australia english, vw, golf7, 2014 and I got this file P34_N60S3MIBS2_ROW_NT .. May I have the link to the right files?

sillygogo
22-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Okay, I think I got it. for MiBII with V3. For Asia pacific, select Passat 2014 instead of Golf 7 2014. There are 2 downloads, one for Asia and the second one is for Australia. Started the download, will try it out in the morning. This time it has the same 7z file as Flipper Dog.

It is the November 2015 maps..maybe I should wait for the May 2016 maps..just extending the 6 life of my SD card. Has anyone wrote to it more than 6 times or does it go by the 3 years?

sillygogo
23-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Worked..now I am using version 0521 on the Mib2..thank you to everyone who helped out. Called VWA the other day:

VWA: you wont be able to do the upgrade yourself and need to purchase a new SD Cards from Parts, I'll transfer you to your nearest dealer.
Dealer 1 Parts: Not sure about the MiB2 need to talk to service.
Dealer 1 Service: Hmm, It is a 5-6 hours job to upgrade your map and will cost $175, best to do it during your service.
Dealer 2 Service: Yes, It is a long process, however, we will upgrade for you during your service at no cost.

Mattlock
23-05-2016, 07:38 PM
5-6 hours? What a farce!

Ralfi
23-05-2016, 07:59 PM
After I was told the update (when available) would cost $180 I replied 'so, it's a rort, basically?' The VW rep's first response was 'yeah'.

Rep also told me there'd been no new map update available since Feb 2015....

So, I may consider doing this myself, once I get a new SD card reader for the PC.

What was that link to the correct file again??

sillygogo
23-05-2016, 07:59 PM
5-6 hours? What a farce!

Yeah, i think they are using dial up internet. I think would be quicker to buy a NEW v4 SD card from Parts for $175. No download or leaving the car there for the day required.

sillygogo
23-05-2016, 08:04 PM
After I was told the update (when available) would cost $180 I replied 'so, it's a rort, basically?' The VW rep's first response was 'yeah'.

Rep also told me there'd been no new map update available since Feb 2015....

So, I may consider doing this myself, once I get a new SD card reader for the PC.

What was that link to the correct file again??

For Mib- With file structure: market, dbinfo the link is
VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo?Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

For Mib2-with file structure: maps>21,22 etc. the link is
VW_APAC_Media_MIB2_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo?Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB2_New&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Remember to back up your original files first , backup , backup, backup.

Dont need anything fancy just a basic card reader like this one for $14 will do
Astone Memory Card Reader (black) (http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=25&bid=7&sid=237159)

I would recommend a USB3 ready though, 6Gb is alot of data to move.

Ralfi
23-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Sillygogo. I'll keep that in mind.

frasermick
24-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys, this is great !

adhock
01-06-2016, 06:51 PM
So I happened to drop by "my" dealer yesterday, and asked a Service Advisor (not one I normally liaise with though) about Map Updates, v3 MIB1 vs the v1 in my early 2014 Golf wagon.

Service: "Nope, nothing I know about, it's disk-based anyway, talk to Parts as it's their territory". Hmm.

Parts: "Nope, nothing's come through for ages, certainly no update since February (when my vehicle was in for service last) has been released or notified by VWA."

Me: "But I've got the update sitting on the drive at home, file structure is as my SD card, but I understood there was a dealer tweak to install before it works on an earliest 2014 car like mine."

Parts: "Oh, we haven't heard from VW about anything. Can't help."

Oh well. Back to square 1. Or another dealer.

sillygogo
02-06-2016, 09:25 PM
So I happened to drop by "my" dealer yesterday, and asked a Service Advisor (not one I normally liaise with though) about Map Updates, v3 MIB1 vs the v1 in my early 2014 Golf wagon.

Service: "Nope, nothing I know about, it's disk-based anyway, talk to Parts as it's their territory". Hmm.

Parts: "Nope, nothing's come through for ages, certainly no update since February (when my vehicle was in for service last) has been released or notified by VWA."

Me: "But I've got the update sitting on the drive at home, file structure is as my SD card, but I understood there was a dealer tweak to install before it works on an earliest 2014 car like mine."

Parts: "Oh, we haven't heard from VW about anything. Can't help."

Oh well. Back to square 1. Or another dealer.

Reading from above, i think V1 user are out of luck. However, if you already got the files, then give it ago. Remember to back up your existing files first.
Other options, buy the V4 maps($150-$170) if available or v3, get a external gps with life maps(garmin, tomtom etc), try another dealer.

good luck

Eaglehawk
03-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Reading from above, i think V1 user are out of luck, try another dealer.

good luck

Bzzzz, not true. But your second advise is correct :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/boom-new-2015-maps-available-discover-media-free-download-101882-post1180909.html#post1180909

It took my 2 bites of the cherry to convince my local dealer to do more research. Keep on trying adhock.

maz124s
03-06-2016, 10:48 AM
My experiences with V1 Maps for my MY13 Golf

Through reading on forums i noticed that rumors were VW had indicated that they had a fix for V1 Maps and dealers were able to upgrade now, so as per usual i called my dealer VW Ferntree Gully who had no idea and then upon further checking with Service Manager informed they have it and need to test and to call back in 2 weeks

So waited my 2 weeks that and got the same run around that they had no had time to test it, so called another dealer Waverley VW and to my surprise seemed to say yep no problems to upgrade as they have all relevant software, i was still suspicious as i thought it would probably be not for my car but V2 or V3 maps but booked in my 45k service with them

To my surprise, service was completed and on pickup had a nice sticker saying my maps were updated and yes had ROW 2016 fully updated and free of charge

So long story short V1 can now be updated, just need to find the right Dealer who knows about fix and will implement it

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23561&stc=1

sillygogo
04-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Bzzzz, not true. But your second advise is correct :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/boom-new-2015-maps-available-discover-media-free-download-101882-post1180909.html#post1180909

It took my 2 bites of the cherry to convince my local dealer to do more research. Keep on trying adhock.

Thank you for correcting my post.

sillygogo
04-06-2016, 12:18 PM
My experiences with V1 Maps for my MY13 Golf

Through reading on forums i noticed that rumors were VW had indicated that they had a fix for V1 Maps and dealers were able to upgrade now, so as per usual i called my dealer VW Ferntree Gully who had no idea and then upon further checking with Service Manager informed they have it and need to test and to call back in 2 weeks

So waited my 2 weeks that and got the same run around that they had no had time to test it, so called another dealer Waverley VW and to my surprise seemed to say yep no problems to upgrade as they have all relevant software, i was still suspicious as i thought it would probably be not for my car but V2 or V3 maps but booked in my 45k service with them

To my surprise, service was completed and on pickup had a nice sticker saying my maps were updated and yes had ROW 2016 fully updated and free of charge

So long story short V1 can now be updated, just need to find the right Dealer who knows about fix and will implement it

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f197/23561-boom-new-2015-maps-available-discover-media-free-download-2016-05-06-17-06-46-jpg

Nice ... wish all dealers can do the same

Flipper Dog
04-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Wow is that customer service? If VW Australia found out they will be black listed.

sillygogo
04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Judging for the sticker, it is something that is quite common, well at least for that particular dealer. Maybe it is a new thing to win back public support or not all dealers are passing on the goodwill

Ralfi
05-06-2016, 11:00 PM
For Mib2-with file structure: maps>21,22 etc. the link is
VW_APAC_Media_MIB2_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo?Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB2_New&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Remember to back up your original files first , backup , backup, backup.

Dont need anything fancy just a basic card reader like this one for $14 will do
Astone Memory Card Reader (black) (http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=25&bid=7&sid=237159)

I would recommend a USB3 ready though, 6Gb is alot of data to move.

Ok, I got a new card reader & the MIB2 files are downloaded & unzipped. The file I downloaded was for Australia; "0521_V04_1922e.xROW2" (can't link to it now as the site's down).

Original files are backed up on PC, so should be good to go...(if the file's the right one - dumb question, but the Australian one is the correct file right??).

sillygogo
06-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Ok, I got a new card reader & the MIB2 files are downloaded & unzipped. The file I downloaded was for Australia; "0521_V04_1922e.xROW2" (can't link to it now as the site's down).

Original files are backed up on PC, so should be good to go...(if the file's the right one - dumb question, but the Australian one is the correct file right??).

If you have the MIB2 then you got the right files.
File 1 which is ROW1 ...is for "Turkey, Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, India, Chile, Bahrein, Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, UAE"

File 2 which is ROW2 ... Australia, New Zealand, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Reunion Island, Israel, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Bahrain, Jordania, Qatar Kuweit Oman, Saudi Arabia, Emirates

Just checked..the site is going again.

Have fun.

Ralfi
06-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks for that.

adhock
07-06-2016, 08:56 PM
A little birdy told me to quote Service Bulletin Ref no: 163512-2343 at the dealer. Have yet to get back in contact to test this. Bearing in mind mine is basically the first Golf Mk7 wagon to go public in WA - it's early as they get, built late 2013 in the Black Forest.

Ralfi
07-06-2016, 09:21 PM
A little birdy told me to quote Service Bulletin Ref no: 163512-2343 at the dealer. Have yet to get back in contact to test this. Bearing in mind mine is basically the first Golf Mk7 wagon to go public in WA - it's early as they get, built late 2013 in the Black Forest.

What's in the Bulletin?

Eaglehawk
07-06-2016, 10:30 PM
What's in the Bulletin?

Putting together the puzzles throughout this thread, it's probably the detailed steps required to connect their Golf Mk7 MY13 built SatNav back to the motherland and enable the MapCare bit that will allow a new SatNAV map updates to occur.

But I'm only guessing.

adhock
09-06-2016, 11:03 AM
That's about what I figured, but I haven't got back to it. Been busy with other stuff, plus I discovered Siri and voice-driven Nav on a trip to Sydney last month.

anonymous
10-06-2016, 07:27 AM
MIB II Discover Media May 2016 Map is out

VW_APAC_Media_MIB2_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_AU/-/AUD/View-Promo;pgid=uMtIa3Zzv2ZSR0EdEP12qrqB0000DiHOoL10;si d=IfpvyAXbDc9vyFKC_XwrwA_RdlTldgJK0Bk4Zo9l?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB2_New&)

agentthumb
10-06-2016, 07:46 AM
May 2016 for MIB 1 is also available from here VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo?Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

Eaglehawk
10-06-2016, 08:29 AM
May 2016 for MIB 1 is also available from here VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New (http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqAPAC-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo?Page=VW_APAC_Media_MIB1_New&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light)

I wonder why it's only 345MB. Mind you, I haven't checked my SD Card since the dealer did my update.

bobcrusader
10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
345MB? It's 22 1GB files...

Harrydhillon
10-06-2016, 12:32 PM
How do we find out which MIB we've got in the car ?

Eaglehawk
10-06-2016, 12:55 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the P38_N60S3MIBS2_ROW_NT.7z (345MB) file just expanded to 418MB worth of files. I'll have to go check the contents of my MIB1 SDCard and see if that's right or not...

Idle
10-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Yes, it's 22 x 1GB files — or 1 22GB file.
I'm wondering, since I've unsuccessfully tried 2 issues of the 2013 maps on my 1st series card, whether I in fact have a 2012 unit (car is Jan 2013 build, July compliance.)

To this end I'm currently downloading the 2012 file, will see if it works — if it doesn't, I've wasted 66GB of bandwidth (no wonder the 'net is so slow...)

Does anyone know if the SD cards we get have an inbuilt write limit like the UK ones? If so, and given that VW do a victory dance every time they sell a replacement, we'll need to watch ourselves...

agentthumb
10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
How do we find out which MIB we've got in the car ?

MIB 1 - 5.6" screen with ****ty resolution and no Android Auto and Apple Car Play

MIB 2 - 6.4" screen, high resolution with Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

agentthumb
10-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Also I see where the confusion with file size has come from.

The one for Discover Media (which is marketed in Australia as Discover Media Pro, We don't officially have Discover Pro in Australia) is 345mb.

The Discover Pro map update (the one with the massive screen that we don't get) comes in multi-part making up a total of 21.1gb.

So unless you bought the big screen unit after market, you just need the 345mb update in my original link if you have the stock satnav.

Tho I take the point that 345mb for the entire ROW seems to be too small. I'll download, extract and report back to the group.

dudgemo
10-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Confirmed working on MIB1

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/06/35448173e7a998c830b0f2d0e3c879ce-2.jpg

Eaglehawk
10-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Cool, did you just drag the 345MB (418MB extracted) worth of files into the card? And overwrite?

agentthumb
10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Yup, back up what you have first just in case.

Checked the archive as well, only has Australian and NZ map, not the rest of the world as the name implied. Hence the small file size.

Eaglehawk
10-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Bloody hell, not enough diskspace...176MB free only!

I'm hoping removing the za directory is enough...

dudgemo
10-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Cool, did you just drag the 345MB (418MB extracted) worth of files into the card? And overwrite?
Yeah same as usual.

Harrydhillon
10-06-2016, 04:51 PM
MIB 1 - 5.6" screen with ****ty resolution and no Android Auto and Apple Car Play

MIB 2 - 6.4" screen, high resolution with Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

Thanks ... So I got the ****ty one lol ;P

agentthumb
10-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks ... So I got the ****ty one lol ;P

No worries mate. You and I both, you and I both.