PDA

View Full Version : Tim's Superb experience - a car owner's journal

Timaeus
27-11-2014, 09:31 PM
As I have found reading other people's experiences owning different cars helpful in my research to make my final decision, I thought I should attempt to contribute something back to the internet by putting together a log of my experience with my new car. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to cars but I'm sure anyone interested in commenting on my entries might be able to explain the holes in my knowledge.

To begin I will just tell the story so far. Having only owned two old but reliable cars this will be my first European experience. My requirements for a car came from a desire to own a fuel efficient car that would provide the boot space to store our bicycles or other large objects but also to provide the option to roll out a rubber mattress in the back to take out camping. Having the latest gadgets and a nice looking interior was also a plus of course.

I chose the Superb over other options for a number of reasons:

1. I could not find a bad review for the car. Any of the negatives I read about didn't seem something I would be concerned with.

2. Price and space. While the Ford Mondeo and VW Passat had similar specs, I felt that the price and space of the Skoda seemed to fit my requirements best.

3. Something different. I had never heard of Skoda before I starting looking into a new car. Despite any depreciation concerns, I like the idea of having something unique when every second car I see is either a Toyota, a Holden or a Ford.

4. Smoothness. Everything from the test drive to the interior seems to exude smoothness. It just felt comfortable to be in and drive around.

I went for the Elegance 118 TSI mainly because while I could justify all the extras of the Elegance model, I couldn't justify the extra cost of a diesel engine despite the potential savings long term. My calculations seemed to suggest I would need to drive the car a lot more than I planned to make up the approximately $5k plus interest to upgrade to the diesel engine.

Based on everything I have read I have high expectations for this vehicle long term though and look forward to seeing how it performs over the next few years.

I am expecting to have my new Superb before Christmas but have no firm date yet. I understand that it is in the country so it should be weeks rather than months. For now I will just have to wait for the call.

So, until I actually have a car that's probably all I have to say. Feel free to ask me questions, I'll answer what I can. Or just tell me what you think! I'm not likely to back out of my purchase now, but I'm happy to talk about my decision making (good or bad).

Tim

gldgti
28-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Sounds like you have done your research. I coveted many a Superb a while back but ended up going with an old audi allroad instead because the superb I wanted (TDI 4x4) was about 35-40k second hand with 60-100k km on the clock - I just couldnt justify it.

I see a few superbs around my area though and lots of smiling drivers :-). They are fantastic looking and have that great practicality of design (I'm talking boot space) that Skoda seems to do so well.

I'm sure you'll love it - and welcome!

Timaeus
05-12-2014, 10:21 PM
It's here! :banana:

My new 2014 (MY15) Skoda Superb Elegance Wagon 1.8 TSI

I couldn't be happier with how everything has gone so far. I was lucky enough to get the car I wanted in the colour I wanted: and the whole process from deposit to delivery was around 3 weeks. I am sure this is at least in part due to the hard work of the people at the car dealership, but also a great deal of luck and timing. The only one (brown 2014 TSI wagon) available for sale in the country right now (or so I am told :rolleyes:). Though there was a small communication error (possibly me not hearing correctly), they delivered a quality service in a timely fashion. I won't name the dealership here but if anyone wants to know I'll happily share their details via PM.

So my first impressions of my Superb: keep in mind this is all coming from someone whose previous car was a 1998 Holden Commodore so what may be distinctly better to me may not be to the more sophisticated driver.

On par with my previous test drive. It is the smoothest ride I've ever had. Proven again as I drove the same roads I drive daily to work and barely noticed the warning strips implemented near a couple of intersections. The transmission doesn't try to go as soon as I take my foot off the break which isn't what I am used to but probably better than rolling before I have pressed the accelerator.

The layout of everything was surprisingly easy to get used to. Despite the Euro column I didn't once hit the wipers instead of the indicators. Something I almost always do at least once in the Fiat work van. I think maybe the wiper lever is more hidden and the indicator more obvious

My wife's comment today: When I first told her I was looking at getting a station wagon she was concerned it was going to have an 'ugly butt' (her words). She was happily surprised to see that the Superb is more of an 'extended hatchback' (again her words) than a traditional wagon with the rear door slanted to give the whole car a rounder shape.

The colour is gorgeous. The dealer was saying a number visitors commented on how elegant the colour is and I agree. The magnetic brown, while looking almost black out of the sunlight really gets a nice brown hue on a sunny day. I much prefer it over a silver, black or grey.

Features: While I haven't gone through everything, the in car features are well beyond my expectations.

- My smartphone synced seamlessly to the bluetooth stereo system and instantly began playing the podcast (when I pressed the media button) that I had been listening to earlier in the day. Switching between podcasts and music (as they are in different apps) requires me to switch over using my phone, but that's a minor problem I could solve by uploading my music to a separate SSD card if I cared.

- The on board voice controls are a bit hit and miss but probably just require more training on my part. I found the default English lady voice to be a little annoying (it sounds almost like she has a lisp?) but I was happy to discover a male alternative who I find much easier on the ears.

- Despite testing it on my test drive I don't see a need to use the assisted parking, but do find the parking sensors useful. I want to use the assisted parking because it seems neat, but from my testing it just isn't as fast as using my own eyes and judgement (and parking sensors). It's available for any tricky parking I might want to do in the future though.

- I read people complaining about the cup holders in the front being too small. While I see what they mean, I managed to fit the cup I tried. The only restriction is likely going to be holding 600ml bottles and the like, but I think I'll live.

Anyway, nothing much more to add to day 1 of my Skoda ownership. Again, I am happy to discuss the purchase, the car or anything else really. Just remember I'm not an enthusiast or an expert so I may not be the best person for more technical questions.

Otherwise I'll pop by with another update sometime before (or maybe just after) Christmas. :santa:

Tim

cbay
06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Superb Tim, I reckon the wagons look a tad better than the sedans. I am eyeing the older model wagons at the moment.

That magnetic brown really is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enriquez
08-12-2014, 09:00 AM
Tim, good to hear good first impression of Superb. In Poland, where I come from Skoda is present on every street corner, Superb on every street. :cool: Regarding the engine, You choosen - many of my colleagues driving it, reported the oil consumption is rather high than expected. So observe the oil measrement rod on it. I don't know what the driving culture is in Australia, but in the Europe (Poland, Germany), there is more than obvious that usual speed on highways is more than 200 km/h - then the oil consumption increases up to 1L/1000 km. That is strange in my opinion, but a lot depens of what You drive first 1000 - 2000 km. Just enjoy and report!

ashmannnn
08-12-2014, 09:43 AM
nice....

ashmannnn
08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13486&stc=1 my baby :-)

ashmannnn
08-12-2014, 10:00 AM
lol... way to many pictures... talk about Superb Overload... apologies.... testing out the sig block etc etc..:stupid:

Shakey
08-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new Superb Tim, I reckon the wagons look a tad better than the sedans. I am eyeing the older model wagons at the moment.

That magnetic brown really is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, Now.

I have a sedan and I think it looks prestigious. It's one of the nicest cars I've owned. But I did however option mine to the hilt.

Timaeus
22-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I won't get into the Sedan v. Wagon debate. I am happy with what I've got though. At my dealer's suggestion I am keeping an eye on the oil levels regularly as he stated it may drop a lot during the 10,000km. Thanks for the heads up though Enriquez.

The latest on my car: 2,000km in and I'm still enjoying the drive. It makes the daily commute so much smoother. I have to remember that I'm still driving a car sometimes. My old cars would always make sure I knew with the noisy engines and hard suspension. Not so much with the Superb.

My wife took the car on a trip to Melbourne (after making sure I was OK with it :P) and apart from turning the wipers on for every single corner while I took her through the features I think she got the hang of it. She liked that she could have the car remember her seat position for next time. She said as a passenger she didn't get what the fuss was about, but driving the Superb, she noticed the difference in how it drove so now she gets it. She did have trouble working out how to open the petrol cap (which I probably should have covered in the induction).

One thing I've noticed recently is that the consumption goes to 0.0 when I brake or decelerate which I don't think is accurate but probably just factoring the brake recuperation. Seeing as it is idle at 1.4 and the engine doesn't stop when I brake it must still be at idle consumption. Perhaps someone who knows more about this would be able to correct me here.

I used the park assist today just to check it out again. I forgot that it appears on the Maxidot display and was looking at the SatNav to see if it was working. This fail did by chance make me realise a second press of the park assist button switches to perpendicular parking assist so that's nice to know. I might have to try and use it more often when there's no one around just so I can get the hang of it better. I'd rather be adept at it for when I need it.

One other thing I noticed these last couple of weeks, is the sports gears seem to be really awful. Maybe because I accidentally shifted to S and was expecting something smoother it was worse, but the gear changes were not smooth at all and I was concerned I was having engine trouble for a moment. I may need to deliberately use it at some stage to check if it was all in my head or not.

Anyway, we are set to go camping for Christmas later this week. We purchased some custom foam mattress to fit the wagon so we can sleep in the back. Our first problem has been that movement causes the car alarm to go off. I think I can disable it with a button on the B pillar but I'm yet to test it out. Hopefully that will work and I won't be scaring the wildlife every time someone rolls over. It should be fun either way.

Have a safe one people!

brad
23-12-2014, 07:31 AM
On overrun the fuel injectors close & no fuel flows into the cylinders as the engine is being driven by the road wheels hence 0.0 consumption

Timaeus
23-12-2014, 07:58 AM
On overrun the fuel injectors close & no fuel flows into the cylinders as the engine is being driven by the road wheels hence 0.0 consumption
Thanks for the info Brad. That makes sense.

ashmannnn
04-01-2015, 12:46 PM
I used the park assist today just to check it out again. I forgot that it appears on the Maxidot display and was looking at the SatNav to see if it was working. This fail did by chance make me realise a second press of the park assist button switches to perpendicular parking assist so that's nice to know. I might have to try and use it more often when there's no one around just so I can get the hang of it better. I'd rather be adept at it for when I need it.

What do you mean? It parralell parks and does what else?

Timaeus
04-01-2015, 12:53 PM
What do you mean? It parralell parks and does what else?
It can also look for perpendicular parks with a second press. I tested it the other day and it started trying to back into a hatch obscured by a longer vehicle though. So it isn't perfect. Still easier to park by sight I think.

ashmannnn
04-01-2015, 01:05 PM
hmm ok.. thats what i thought it did.... what other parking were you referrring to? just turning on the parking sensors you mean?

Timaeus
04-01-2015, 01:12 PM
hmm ok.. thats what i thought it did.... what other parking were you referrring to? just turning on the parking sensors you mean?
Perpendicular sorry. Have edited.

ashmannnn
04-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Roger that :banana:

putney40
04-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Thought I'd add some more Superb driving thoughts...Elegance TDI 125kW wagon

Just got back from holidays in Adelaide, according to the trip computer consumption was 5.3 l/100km on the way over (got to 5.6 in 39 deg heat on Hay plain) and 5.2 on the way back.

There is only one word to describe the journey - Superb !! What a fantastic long distance car, comfortable, spacious and economical and goes when required. Only issue had to add about 150ml of oil when I got home but after 3600km can't really complain.