PDA

View Full Version : Pricing of 2012 Skoda Superb Ambition Demo

Max147
17-11-2014, 09:58 PM
I had a drive of a 2012 Ambition sedan demo today with just under 5k on the clock. I was very impressed with the drive & was ready for the brakes having read some reviews, otherwise I may have ended up on the dash.

I think it's a lovely looking car. I never noticed that it was skinny in proportion to it's length but one of the 1st things I noticed was the useless cupholders & when I drove it the seat felt small in width, which I found weird considering the size of this thing. It was still comfortable however & the back seat just blew me away with the leg room. Then I read tonight that it is skinny but as I said, I never noticed it today.

The price was $24,950 with 6mths rego & warranty until 2018 & when I said I had no trade he dropped to $23,800 plus they would pick up the rego changeover cost. I didn't think that was enough, especially with no trade-in & he mentioned that it was heavily discounted already & was a $38k car originally. I hadn't checked the price of the 2014 model & find out tonight that Skoda has dropped about $7k off the new model. That makes this demo even less of a good deal IMO but I would like to know what others think?

Besides my issue, how do current owners feel about this price reduction on the new model? While it's great for new Skoda buyers surely it is going to hurt the already poor resale value (so I've read) of their vehicle?

aware
17-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Is a car coming up to 3 years olf really a demo anymore? Hvaing a quick look on carsales it would seem that the pricing is reasonable, but then I haven't really watched the market. As long as you're happy then that is all tha really matters I guess with cars. (Is it this car? 2012 Skoda Superb Ambition 118TSI MY13 Direct-Shift Gearbox (http://www.carsales.com.au/nearnew/details/Skoda-Superb-2012/AGC-AD-16891971/?Cr=7&sdmvc=1))

It probably will hurt resale, but ours is leased and we're coming up to the end of our lease so time will tell (operating lease so we won't know what it is sold for).

Max147
17-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Yes it is that car. Looking at other similar models there are plenty that are more expensive, some much more but there are also quite a few cheaper. I assume some dealers are just trying it on or maybe they are sailing along ok & dont want to drop margin. Others may want the quick turnover & price accordingly. Thats what we do in the business I work for when things are quite. I agree with you regarding the 2012 'demo' :)

pandahill
18-11-2014, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there are still 2012 new cars out there
Mine was new MY12 purchased November 13. It takes along time for the cars to get here
Note that new model drops many features on old model

Albervin
23-11-2014, 02:46 PM
I have had a mixed relationship with this dealer. I have bought a couple of cars from them and both times I tried and tried but could not find a better deal anywhere. I ended up buying my latest car from Canberra because this dealer could not obtain the spec I wanted. The downside with this dealer is I have had a terrible experience with the service department, absolutely terrible. It ended up wasting a lot of my time and costing them a lot of money due to gross incompetence. It may have changed since then but I now use a private servicing agent who has the skill, is a nice guy and charges fairly.

brad
24-11-2014, 09:51 AM
VW / Skoda seem to be very good at bringing cars in & letting them sit in the holding yards while asking ridiculously high prices until they are a couple of years old and then flogging them off at a huge discount.

End of Model Roomsters that they were ~$30k were sold off for ~$17k and I recall somebody on this forum buying a Golf Cabrio that was new but 2 years old & getting 30-35% discount off RRP.

As the car you are looking at isn't "new" and is coming up to 3 years old in 6 weeks time - I reckon you could aim for about $21k and still be doing the dealership a favour.

Max147
25-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Its good info to know about the crap service centre, who needs those dramas? Brad, I'm with you on doing them a favour on the $21k. I was discussing this with a friend earlier that this will be a 3yr old car soon & they are asking that much. I'm glad others think the same.

cbay
01-12-2014, 12:54 PM
I too am currently looking at 'demo' Skodas (superbs and yetis) and am finding dealerships are being a bit precious with their 2012 models! The facelifts were recently released for both of these models too, what's with the ridiculous pricing?