PDA

View Full Version : 7 SPD dsg issue?

notflyingscot
10-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Close to 20000km now on 2 yr old Elegance TSI. Noting quite a bit of what certainly feels like transmission judder when changing 1/2 and 2/3. Just about guaranteed if car has four adult occupants. Other Superb owners experienced this and if so what sort of response did you get from Skoda Aust. with regard to a full warranty fix? I'm guessing it is "clutches" issue I've seen discussed affecting other VAG products on this and other forums? Car has not been part of either ”7 SPD dsg recalls" of last year or so.

vdubmotorworx
11-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Will need new clutch packs mate. Very common....VDUB..

notflyingscot
11-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Tks for the confirmation. What's the consensus out there as to whether VAG have a reliable long term fix for the issue?

zei20t
11-11-2014, 10:51 AM
I would go visit skoda and let them fix it. warranty will cover it!

cascade1983
11-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Will need new clutch packs mate. Very common....VDUB..
Agreed... Had the same issue on my Superb 118tsi... New clutch kit and it should be as good as new... Had one installed 9 months ago, no problem so far...

pandahill
11-11-2014, 12:52 PM
What does "transmission judder" feel like? I got my superb around the same time as notflyingscot (118TSI MY12 with 17,000km on the clock)
I haven't noticed anything that feels too far out of the ordinary, however the gear changes don't feel quite as smooth (when new you could hardly tell when the gears changed)

What should I look out for if it happens to mine?

notflyingscot
11-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Pandahill, it's pretty much as the wording suggests. A "juddering" vibration that prompts you to back off a bit on the throttle, the juddering stops and most times the car pulls away fairly smoothly at the next squeeze of the loud pedal. At its worst on a wet uphill start the on/off grabbing of the clutch feeds down to the road as quite violent "axle tramp". It's quite infrequent when only one or two up, much more frequent with four seats occupied. Least that's how it feels on our car.

notflyingscot
19-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Dropped it off at Trivett Parramatta this morning. They called within 20 minutes, "your car will require clutch pack" (or words to that effect). Should have it back lunchtime tomorrow. Fingers crossed that a) fixes the problem and b) the new clutches are a lot more durable than the original clutches. Can anyone confirm whether the warranty on the clutch rolls forward for another fixed period from date of replacement?

notflyingscot
20-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Car back from Trivett today after completion of TPI2028367/7 (CLUTCHES REPLACEMENT).
Time will tell if issue is resolved. Service adviser claimed that none they have done to date have come back again with similar issue. Fingers crossed he is correct.☺

Paul_R
22-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Make sure you, or whoever drives the car, presses the brake pedal hard when stationary. If you only have light pressure the clutch slips. Test it. Light pressure with slipping clutch equals 1000 rpm and burnt out clutch. Press harder and revs drop to 800 rpm as the clutch fully disengages. Might not be the problem but worth checking as it's a real easy fix.

notflyingscot
22-11-2014, 04:28 PM
Tks for the tip. Will check that out. Done most of my near 50 years driving in manuals so I'm inclined to knock it into Neutral when stopped. I'm guessing no harm can come of that?
SWMBO drives it at least as much as me. May have to check out her technique. Just wish me luck if I have to correct her methods!

Paul_R
23-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Yeah, my mum used to be able to make a manual sound like it had a torque converter. Absolutely chewed through clutches in her day (finally in an auto now).

notflyingscot
24-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Make sure you, or whoever drives the car, presses the brake pedal hard when stationary. If you only have light pressure the clutch slips. Test it. Light pressure with slipping clutch equals 1000 rpm and burnt out clutch. Press harder and revs drop to 800 rpm as the clutch fully disengages. Might not be the problem but worth checking as it's a real easy fix.

Paul, tried this couple of times today and honestly could not reproduce the change in revs you mention. Seemed to sit on 800 rpm whether barely touching brake or pushing pedal hard. Agree with your theory though. Think I'll just continue to slip it into N if I think I'll be stationary for more than a few seconds.
NFS

Paul_R
25-11-2014, 06:07 AM
I drove 4 different DSG cars in 2 weeks. 2 Passat, a Superb and an Octavia. Only the Octy was petrol with the 7 speed and the other 3 were diesel 6 speeders. The Octy and one of the Passats did it. The other 2 6 speeders didn't. Go figure. I was wondering if it was a 7 speed thing only myself at one point. The dealer does claim that that car had an issue - I commented that it was very sluggish off the line - but I don't believe him. It felt like the last 7 speeder I drove.

ashmannnn
08-12-2014, 09:55 AM
hmmm my new beast has similar glitches... bought the car site unseen in Melb from a dealer... lucky it comes with warranty... off to Lennock Skoda tomorrow for a diagnosis... wish me luck!!

ashmannnn
09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
just got back from Lennock Skoda, need new clutch plates.... groan!!

Lucas_R
09-12-2014, 04:48 PM
^ so very common on the 7 speed dry DSG gearbox. How long did the original ones last?

notflyingscot
10-12-2014, 06:11 AM
just got back from Lennock Skoda, need new clutch plates.... groan!!

Are you going to have to pay or will it be covered either by your second hand dealer warranty or did Lennock suggest Skoda might still cover it?

ashmannnn
10-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Carlins Auctions / Dealer in Melbourne will be covering it with the standard used car warranty.... Lennock will be talking with them. I spoke with Skoda yesterday, there is no more Skoda warranty on the vehicle. Lennock said they may need the car for up to 2 days.... dang!

ashmannnn
15-12-2014, 08:07 AM
The car has 101,000 km on it, so I assume the first set lasted that long? Dont know if they have been changed before...

ashmannnn
19-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Mine goes in on Jan 12 with lennock Skoda for new clutch pack...... just glad its under used car warranty.

ashmannnn
21-01-2015, 02:47 PM
see thread "In Addition to Clutch Plates" for further comments....