PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to find a manual Tdi Yeti for sale secondhand?

sparkie
10-11-2014, 06:59 PM
I am researching replacing my VW hatchback, and really like the Yeti. But for the life of me I am finding it hard to find a manual Tdi. There was one in country Victoria, but that's too far away, and a black one in Canberra - wrong colour and too far away. In an ideal world I'd find a white manual Tdi Yeti on the Sunshine Coast, but so far no good. Weren't many sold?

Lucas_R
10-11-2014, 09:42 PM
Very rare combo you are hunting for there mate - in an "auto gearbox obsessed" country like Aust, and the TDI engine matches well with the DSG i can be pretty certain that 99% of Yeti's sold will be DSG's. Plus the Yeti itself isn't exactly a big seller here in Australia.

But if you are prepared to wait or travel when one becomes available then im sure you will find one eventually.

CardinalSin
11-11-2014, 10:46 AM
I would have preferred a manual when I bought mine but have to say the DSG is a pleasure to use manually so you can have the best of both worlds in a way.
My only grumbles with using the sequential shift are that the shift direction is arse about face intuitively and when you slow to less than about 10kph in manual it grabs first whereas auto stays in second almost to a stop.
We're stuck with the shift direction unless anyone knows a way to change that?
For the manual shifting I slip it back into auto at giveway intersections and other similar spots to keep it in second then back across to manual again. Shifting at 2,000rpm in the diesel seems to be the sweet spot for normal relaxed driving with better economy and smooth quiet power. Mind you this engine is smooth and quiet all the way to the red line, amazing for a diesel.
I enjoy down shifting instead of braking, at about 1,500rpm and like it way it blips the throttle if you change at slightly higher rpm.

SGG
13-11-2014, 03:17 PM
I am researching replacing my VW hatchback, and really like the Yeti. But for the life of me I am finding it hard to find a manual Tdi. There was one in country Victoria, but that's too far away, and a black one in Canberra - wrong colour and too far away. In an ideal world I'd find a white manual Tdi Yeti on the Sunshine Coast, but so far no good. Weren't many sold?

I have the 1.4 tsi/auto Yeti. Generally when you buy a car like the Yeti you start noticing them on the road because you have one yourself. I haven't seen one yeti (other than mine) on the road period :D.

Mate there just isn't that many of them out there.

tinto
13-11-2014, 06:26 PM
time for a road trip.

sparkie
13-11-2014, 09:11 PM
You lot aren't helping!

Jake02
16-11-2014, 02:06 PM
My cousin has that exact combo - white 103TDI 4x4 manual with no options - but I'm quite sure she wouldn't be keen to sell it, she absolutely adores it! When test driving them, the only one available was a 77TSI manual so we drove it to see what the gearbox was like, and a 103TDI DSG to see what the engine was like. The base model had very little standard equipment unfortunately! But Sparkie mate, good things come to those who wait! The Yeti is a great little car with tonnes of character - it's a more practical, raised, 4x4 Mk5 Golf that's actually Euro-made to me.

sparkie
16-11-2014, 08:15 PM
I check carsales every day, for the last few months there has been 6-8 Tdis for sale, all DSGs, I so wish I had gone for the one in Northern Victoria!! Today there are 2 Tdis, both DSGs!! Looks like I'll have to wait! Meanwhile it gives me time to sell the current VW stable to make room for it (my tagline doesn't mention the Mk1 Cab I Picked up a little over a year ago!)

Greg Roles
20-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Oh no, Yeti buying competition on the Sunny Coast, and I keep coming back to white too, boring as that is.

But as for manual, they rock in TDI right up until a slow traffic jam, then let the leg pump begin.

I'm going DSG this time, plus now I can tune the heck out of that box.

sparkie
20-11-2014, 05:54 PM
No competition from me, I'm a manual guy from birth! If I can't get a Yeti, I'll go elsewhere

Timbo
20-11-2014, 07:29 PM
If you haven't already, test drive another Skoda/VW/Audi with the same engine/manual transmission combo. I did this, I'm a manual guy from birth, but I quickly found couldn't live with that diesel/manual if I had to do any traffic commuting. So ours is a DSG, and it's fine. Just sayin'

Ryeman
20-11-2014, 10:07 PM
It wasn't till the updated model neared that VAG discounted the hell out of the old stock they were holding (my new one was 25 months old) that they took off and the updates price was realigned down to a more realistic one.

Greg Roles
21-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Still to dear really, but in that segment, if you want VAG technology, and don't want a Tig, well the choice is limited. The new Jeep Renegade is interesting, and just as odd looking, but seems to have bad reviews on the road so far, where we all know the Yeti will be a Golf basically.

Has anyone out proper off road tyres on one yet?

bluey
30-11-2014, 12:40 AM
The manual TDI's weren't popular. Most people don't like to change gears these days. But if you like driving a manual like we do, you wouldn't want to give up your manual TDI Yeti!

Diesels are great in really heavy traffic. No revs, slow clutch, crawl along. Use less fuel than petrol model in stop start. Computer says 0.8-0.9L/h idle.