PDA

View Full Version : Gti Performance Pack for daily drive

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Hi All,

New to the forum here. Have not owned a VW before. However my son got a 90TSI Comfortline some months ago and I had a chance to use it for a few weeks. Really impressed with the car in pretty much all aspects.

I'm in the process of downsizing from a Tarago since my kids are all grown up and driving.

Thought I'd get something different (from what I've been used to) and looking at a GTI.

Test drove a GTI and borrowed one overnight and I was very impressed. Was such a fun drive performance wise but was also very refined in terms of ride and noise. So suitable for daily drive to work as well.

I also had a look at a GTI PP but could not obtain one for an extended test drive. I have an opportunity to pick one up that's available.

I had a very short drive of one the other day and felt it was a little bit stiffer but otherwise not much discernable difference in ride. Maybe a little noiser on the road? However hard to tell for sure from a short drive. And could not compare back to back.

I know the main benefit of the PP is the diff. However the attraction to me was Bi-Xenons plus a few of the other extras, the right colour, and availability. (Plus they do look good)

My concern is whether the 19" wheels will have much of an impact on the ride quality etc. generally.

Also, does anyone know if the suspension setup is the same on both cars. Or is the PP stiffer/lower?

Just wondering what others experiences are who may have owned or driven a GTI PP for a length of time. In terms of ride quality and noise compared to a standard GTI - as a daily drive and long trips.

aj555
24-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I have the PP and it rides on 19 inch with 35 profile tyre. These cars (along with the std GTI) have adaptive dampers - normal, comfort, sport. So depending on what you driving habit is, you can change the profile to suit. I leave mine in normal and it rides very well even on those roads that are rough. I sometimes change to comfort and it helps a lot over rougher ground. I previously had an Audi A3 on 18 inch 40 profile tyres and that was very firm.

With the slightly lower profile tyre you might get a slightly firmer ride in all modes over the std GTI, but I find there is no problem as a daily driver - I do try to avoid the manhole covers/potholes though as you will feel them. I haven't taken it on an extended trip so can't comment on tyre noise.

As a daily driver, you can't go wrong with either model, its good to have the power when you need to make that gap in traffic, yet it is just as happy driving along with traffic flow.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 11:27 AM
I have the PP and it rides on 19 inch with 35 profile tyre. These cars (along with the std GTI) have adaptive dampers - normal, comfort, sport. So depending on what you driving habit is, you can change the profile to suit. I leave mine in normal and it rides very well even on those roads that are rough. I sometimes change to comfort and it helps a lot over rougher ground. I previously had an Audi A3 on 18 inch 40 profile tyres and that was very firm.

With the slightly lower profile tyre you might get a slightly firmer ride in all modes over the std GTI, but I find there is no problem as a daily driver - I do try to avoid the manhole covers/potholes though as you will feel them. I haven't taken it on an extended trip so can't comment on tyre noise.

As a daily driver, you can't go wrong with either model, its good to have the power when you need to make that gap in traffic, yet it is just as happy driving along with traffic flow.

Thanks for that.

That's what impressed me the most on the GTI. Performance was great but in normal driving it was very comfortable and refined. Certianly not what I had initially expected.

Problem was reasonable availabity in the right colour at the moment on the std GTI. And you can't get Xenons on the std GTI.

I have the opportunity to secure a PP. Although I doubt if I would ever test the limit of what the PP (or a std GTI for that matter) has to offer it was more the availability and the Xenons would be nice. I do a bit of driving freeway etc. - so I value decent night visibility.

I know it sounds like I'm considering a PP over a std GTI for the wrong reasons. But what the hell.

May I ask why you chose a PP over the std?

gldgti
24-10-2014, 11:35 AM
It will depend a lot on the roads you use. I have a friend with a MK6 R that uses it as a daily and he has just downsized the wheels from 19" to 18" because the amount of wheel damage that was occurring was silly - he reported that he had to get the wheels re-rolled and welded several times - no dirt road usage either.

In my own experience (not with a new GTI), if you do considerable km on anything other than highway its better to opt for smaller wheels in the long run.

aj555
24-10-2014, 11:42 AM
My previous car was the Audi, which had Xenons and I liked the illumination qualities the provide, so I personally couldn't go back to halogens .
At the time of purchase, I was pricing up the price difference between GTI + Xenons vs GTI PP and figured the for the small extra I would get the benefit of 19" wheels, diff , LED DRL's and LED taillights, alcantara inserts and a small power increase (only offsets the increase weight of the diff). It may be dubious value, but I went for it - I have no regrets.

brad
24-10-2014, 11:50 AM
The PP would be my pick.

turtle
24-10-2014, 12:01 PM
oztadpole,
I've had a PP for about 3 months now and clocked up about 5000km in it. I drive it everyday to work and back (50km round trip). I find the ride to be quite comfortable and the cabin noise it low. You do get a bit of road noise above 100km/h however its nothing too bad.
Lately I've been leaving mine in Comfort mode because of the rubbish NSW roads and I've found it a bit nicer ride over Normal. It just makes riding over those small bump that bit better.
I drove it to QLD and back last month (approx 1600km all up) and it never missed a beat. 700km+ from each tank of fuel and in comfort mode it was a nice ride. The bolstered seats did sometimes get annoying as they are quite snug but that was mainly when I was the passenger trying to sleep.
When purchasing, the Bi-Xenon's were definitely a selling point over the standard GTI. Not only are they better headlights, but they finish off the front end nicely with the red stripe carrying on from the grille. And the LED tailights/blinkers look really trick at night. The other thing was availability. I was told 6+ months wait for a GTI, however I had my PP within 2 weeks and a pick of any colour. So like you said, by the time you add $2k for Bi-Xenon's to a stadard GTI (which you can no longer option), it was only a bit more for the PP.
I can't speak much for the diff as I've never driven a standard GTI hard, however I've taken mine for a few 'spirited' drives on quiet roads and they way the car pulls out of a corner when accelerating is impressive! No under-steer, no torque-steer. It just points and shoots exactly where you want it to go. And as for the brakes, I made myself car-sick they pull up that hard!
One thing with the 19in wheels though. Be prepared to wash them a lot! they get covered in brake dust (as would the other GTI ones) however due to their design they are a pain in the @ss to clean. I've just brought a brush which should make it a lot easier.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 12:03 PM
It will depend a lot on the roads you use. I have a friend with a MK6 R that uses it as a daily and he has just downsized the wheels from 19" to 18" because the amount of wheel damage that was occurring was silly - he reported that he had to get the wheels re-rolled and welded several times - no dirt road usage either.

In my own experience (not with a new GTI), if you do considerable km on anything other than highway its better to opt for smaller wheels in the long run.

In fact if it was 18" on the PP. I would have signed up by now.

I've considered the option of getting the PP and downsize the wheels to 18" (if the dealer would swap them out).

Sydney roads are OK in my area. But you do get potholes and bad patches. And I do drive up to central coast regularly - Gosford, Central Mangrove, Orimbah, Enterance etc. So practically is important.

daveee
24-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I also leave my PP in comfort most of the time as the ride becomes too hard on bad roads. It is a pity the mode selector button is so far out of reach and not something easier to toggle through the modes to suit road surface. I think if you are set on a DSG, then the PP is well worth the extra to get the diff + xenon lights. I am also finding with the firm ride I am constantly steering around pot holes and being extra careful not to damage a rim - I'm sure you would find someone around who would swap your Santiagos if you aren't a fan of the larger rims.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 12:36 PM
I also leave my PP in comfort most of the time as the ride becomes too hard on bad roads. It is a pity the mode selector button is so far out of reach and not something easier to toggle through the modes to suit road surface. I think if you are set on a DSG, then the PP is well worth the extra to get the diff + xenon lights. I am also finding with the firm ride I am constantly steering around pot holes and being extra careful not to damage a rim - I'm sure you would find someone around who would swap your Santiagos if you aren't a fan of the larger rims.

Yep DSG for me.

To be honest. The 19" was the biggest and only negative for me on the PP. For reasons of practicality.

So I guess swapping them out for 18" would be the easy fix. Apart from changing the stock look, a bit of handling, and maybe resale down the track - there's no other downside is there?

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 12:42 PM
My previous car was the Audi, which had Xenons and I liked the illumination qualities the provide, so I personally couldn't go back to halogens .
At the time of purchase, I was pricing up the price difference between GTI + Xenons vs GTI PP and figured the for the small extra I would get the benefit of 19" wheels, diff , LED DRL's and LED taillights, alcantara inserts and a small power increase (only offsets the increase weight of the diff). It may be dubious value, but I went for it - I have no regrets.

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one thinking this way. (gti+Xenons vs PP).

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 12:56 PM

oztadpole,
I've had a PP for about 3 months now and clocked up about 5000km in it. I drive it everyday to work and back (50km round trip). I find the ride to be quite comfortable and the cabin noise it low. You do get a bit of road noise above 100km/h however its nothing too bad.
Lately I've been leaving mine in Comfort mode because of the rubbish NSW roads and I've found it a bit nicer ride over Normal. It just makes riding over those small bump that bit better.
I drove it to QLD and back last month (approx 1600km all up) and it never missed a beat. 700km+ from each tank of fuel and in comfort mode it was a nice ride. The bolstered seats did sometimes get annoying as they are quite snug but that was mainly when I was the passenger trying to sleep.
When purchasing, the Bi-Xenon's were definitely a selling point over the standard GTI. Not only are they better headlights, but they finish off the front end nicely with the red stripe carrying on from the grille. And the LED tailights/blinkers look really trick at night. The other thing was availability. I was told 6+ months wait for a GTI, however I had my PP within 2 weeks and a pick of any colour. So like you said, by the time you add $2k for Bi-Xenon's to a stadard GTI (which you can no longer option), it was only a bit more for the PP.
I can't speak much for the diff as I've never driven a standard GTI hard, however I've taken mine for a few 'spirited' drives on quiet roads and they way the car pulls out of a corner when accelerating is impressive! No under-steer, no torque-steer. It just points and shoots exactly where you want it to go. And as for the brakes, I made myself car-sick they pull up that hard!
One thing with the 19in wheels though. Be prepared to wash them a lot! they get covered in brake dust (as would the other GTI ones) however due to their design they are a pain in the @ss to clean. I've just brought a brush which should make it a lot easier.

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one thinking this way. (gti+Xenons vs PP).

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one thinking this way.

Sorry guys my posts are a bit all over the place. I'm new at this.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Does anyone know if the suspension setup is the same on both cars. Or is the PP stiffer/lower?

aj555
24-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know if the suspension setup is the same on both cars. Or is the PP stiffer/lower?

I had a quick look at the tech specs in the brochure: the only difference seems to be that the Front and Rear Track is 4mm and 3mm narrower than the std GTI. Height is the same at 1466mm

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 02:42 PM
I had a quick look at the tech specs in the brochure: the only difference seems to be that the Front and Rear Track is 4mm and 3mm narrower than the std GTI. Height is the same at 1466mm

OK. Thanks. Should've looked in the specs myself.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 05:01 PM
OK. I'm pretty comfortable going with it (the PP that is).

Only question is should I try to downsize to 18"? Or would it be marginal? I'd only do the downsize if I can get the dealer to swap.

Also, thanks for the feedback from all so far. This is a great forum.

aj555
24-10-2014, 07:02 PM
I think it would be marginal, but it depends on how bad the roads are where you drive. Other than rim size, the std GTI runs on a 40 profile so will contribute to a softer ride
Pity you can't drive both to compare.

Jimi
24-10-2014, 08:16 PM
The suspension tune is the same on both the GTI and the GTI PP. In other parts of the world there is no difference in model, the diff, brakes and power bump are just like any other option. Any difference in ride will be purely down to the wheels

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I think it would be marginal, but it depends on how bad the roads are where you drive. Other than rim size, the std GTI runs on a 40 profile so will contribute to a softer ride
Pity you can't drive both to compare.

I have driven both. I drove the std GTI a few times and quite extensively. Including on the freeway.

However I drove the PP on a another day and only a very short spin and a different route. I felt it was a tiny bit firmer. Certianly nothing harsh.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 08:58 PM
The suspension tune is the same on both the GTI and the GTI PP. In other parts of the world there is no difference in model, the diff, brakes and power bump are just like any other option. Any difference in ride will be purely down to the wheels

Thanks for that. That's good to know.

Dutch77
24-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Only question is should I try to downsize to 18"? Or would it be marginal? I'd only do the downsize if I can get the dealer to swap.

Why would you want the dealer to swap, they will shaft you.

Given the look of the Santiagos they aren't an easy sell second hand admittedly, but the rubber has some value and you can then get a decent set of 18s that you like the look of.

oztadpole
24-10-2014, 09:57 PM

Given the look of the Santiagos they aren't an easy sell second hand admittedly, but the rubber has some value and you can then get a decent set of 18s that you like the look of.

Fair point.

tigger73
25-10-2014, 11:22 AM

Or you're really worried about the ride of the 19's, you could find someone with a stock GTI that wants to swap. Then you keep the OEM look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oztadpole
25-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Or you're really worried about the ride of the 19's, you could find someone with a stock GTI that wants to swap. Then you keep the OEM look.

Tigger

That's what I had in mind if I really wanted 18".

Having read through past posts though from people with pp's it seems the 19's are quite reasonable in terms of ride.

So I'm not as concerned as I was when I started this thread.

At this stage I'm not fussed if I'm stuck with the 19".

If I swing 18" without additional cost then its a bonus in terms of ride and practicality. If not that's fine also.

BTW. Was also following your tiguan tread. Great reading. Was looking at tig at one stage 155tsi r-line - coming from a tarago.

But decided to take the plunge into a gti. Haven't driven a little hatch for years. Forgotten how much fun it was.

tigger73
25-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Tigger

That's what I had in mind if I really wanted 18".

BTW. Was also following your tiguan tread. Great reading. Was looking at tig at one stage 155tsi r-line - coming from a tarago.

But decided to take the plunge into a gti. Haven't driven a little hatch for years. Forgotten how much fun it was.

You'd probably be able to find someone for swaps on here if you decided to go down that path... or the dealer may be able accommodate as a no cost "down-grade".

In relation to damaging 19" rims this is a bit of an extreme example of what can go wrong if you hit a pothole/rock at speed:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/10/zJxdXXA-2.jpg

No guarantees that an 18" rim wouldn't have suffered the same fate, however you'd probably have a better chance of driving away.

The Tiguan is a good option if you like the higher driving position and has the added benefit of an AWD platform (=grip). With a $5k budget for mods you can get similar level of performance to a stock Golf R.

andrew7
25-10-2014, 03:37 PM
unfortunately the Tiguan is still on the old platform, I'd be waiting for the all new MQB Tiguan if going down that route (2016?)

oztadpole
25-10-2014, 03:50 PM
You'd probably be able to find someone for swaps on here if you decided to go down that path... or the dealer may be able accommodate as a no cost "down-grade".

In relation to damaging 19" rims this is a bit of an extreme example of what can go wrong if you hit a pothole/rock at speed:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/10/zJxdXXA-2.jpg

No guarantees that an 18" rim wouldn't have suffered the same fate, however you'd probably have a better chance of driving away.

The Tiguan is a good option if you like the higher driving position and has the added benefit of an AWD platform (=grip). With a $5k budget for mods you can get similar level of performance to a stock Golf R.

Yep. That's scarey.

Sydney roads can be pretty ordinary - which is where I live. So even at legal speeds the chances if buckling a wheel or damaging a tyre increase with lower aspect.

I forgot to check on test car. But can anyone advise what the OEM tyres are on a gti pp.

oztadpole
25-10-2014, 04:05 PM
unfortunately the Tiguan is still on the old platform, I'd be waiting for the all new MQB Tiguan if going down that route (2016?)
That was a slight concern. But not really a deal breaker. Was still streets ahead compared to other small suvs i drove (in terms of driving experience).

But then I tried a gti and it was such a complete package. Just wanted something totally different this time I guess.

tigger73
25-10-2014, 04:16 PM
That was a slight concern. But not really a deal breaker. Was still streets ahead compared to other small suvs i drove (in terms of driving experience).

But then I tried a gti and it was such a complete package. Just wanted something totally different this time I guess.

The new 130TDI Tiguan is pick of the bunch. If the dealer didn't want $30k change-over I may even be driving one now :)

Though the MQB Tiguan is the one to get if you can hold off. Due for global release next year and here sometime in 2016.

But yes the new GTI is a great package and if you can fit everyone in then go for it. Definite step up in terms of driver enjoyment from the Tarago!!!

oztadpole
25-10-2014, 04:49 PM
The new 130TDI Tiguan is pick of the bunch. If the dealer didn't want $30k change-over I may even be driving one now :)

Though the MQB Tiguan is the one to get if you can hold off. Due for global release next year and here sometime in 2016.

But yes the new GTI is a great package and if you can fit everyone in then go for it. Definite step up in terms of driver enjoyment from the Tarago!!!

Drove a tarago for 20 years. Was a real workhorse. Nowadays I'm the only one in the car because I drive it to work.

The thought of getting back into a small car - was a bit hesitant at first. But kids are all grown up and driving. They have their own transport.

tigger73
26-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Drove a tarago for 20 years. Was a real workhorse. Nowadays I'm the only one in the car because I drive it to work.

The thought of getting back into a small car - was a bit hesitant at first. But kids are all grown up and driving. They have their own transport.

My parents were in the same position when us kids all grew up. Dad was looking to upgrade the family run about but the trade-in price wasn't too favourable. So I suggested getting rid of the people mover as the number of times everyone travelled together was almost zero anyway. Best move to replace the Mazda Traveller which was essentially a commercial vehicle with an interior fit-out and a bit of a death-trap in terms of handling and braking ability. Went to a Saab 9000 with leather and sunroof. Mum was happy :)

I think if you went with either GTI or GTI PP you'd be streets ahead. If you go the GTI route there's a few people that have upgraded the bulbs with a higher output halogen which is a relatively cost effective upgrade in terms of improving the light output. However nothing is going to compare to the factory bi-xenons but it is a relatively hefty price tag if that's the only option that you need.

Have a read of the Mk7 Headlight thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/headlights-87200.html) for some options for standard globes.

AJW
26-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Interesting thread.
This is exactly the same position I'm in.
After having Bi-Xenons on my MK5 & MK6 GTI's I wouldn't get a car without them now.
It's not just the brightness it's as though they design the front end of car around the look of the Bi-Xenons and the models without don't look complete.
So when they originally spec'd the cars with the Bi-Xenons as an option I thought great I can order them again on the GTI.
When they dropped them as an option and only had them on the PP I thought great now I'll have to get 19" wheels which I'm not so keen on.
So it's interesting to read some comments from people that have the PP.

I also have Adaptive suspension on my MK6 GTI , I don't think there were many MK6's sold with this option.
Again this was something I was going to re-order on the MK7, luckily it's fitted as standard.
I've mostly been running it in comfort due to the crap Sydney roads.
Sometimes it can feel a bit soft so maybe running 19's will just take the edge off this a bit.

I wont be ordering my car until next year so I'll be very interested to see what Oztadpole does and what you think.

oztadpole
26-10-2014, 09:15 AM
My parents were in the same position when us kids all grew up. Dad was looking to upgrade the family run about but the trade-in price wasn't too favourable. So I suggested getting rid of the people mover as the number of times everyone travelled together was almost zero anyway. Best move to replace the Mazda Traveller which was essentially a commercial vehicle with an interior fit-out and a bit of a death-trap in terms of handling and braking ability. Went to a Saab 9000 with leather and sunroof. Mum was happy :)

I think if you went with either GTI or GTI PP you'd be streets ahead. If you go the GTI route there's a few people that have upgraded the bulbs with a higher output halogen which is a relatively cost effective upgrade in terms of improving the light output. However nothing is going to compare to the factory bi-xenons but it is a relatively hefty price tag if that's the only option that you need.

Have a read of the Mk7 Headlight thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/headlights-87200.html) for some options for standard globes.

I'm leaning heavily towards the pp also due to availability.

The wheels is not such an issue as it was a few days ago. Had another quick drive of one. Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of a demo for any decent length of time.

The gti I drove 3 - 4 times. Including an overnight loan. So got a really good feel. This was 4 weeks ago.

A std gti with bixenons is already 2.5k shy of a pp - and that's if you can get hold of one.

The pp looks good value all things considered. And its a good looking car![emoji4]

Like you say gti or gti pp - can't go much wrong with either.

Sound like I'm rationalising here - haha[emoji5]

oztadpole
26-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Interesting thread.
This is exactly the same position I'm in.
After having Bi-Xenons on my MK5 & MK6 GTI's I wouldn't get a car without them now.
It's not just the brightness it's as though they design the front end of car around the look of the Bi-Xenons and the models without don't look complete.
So when they originally spec'd the cars with the Bi-Xenons as an option I thought great I can order them again on the GTI.
When they dropped them as an option and only had them on the PP I thought great now I'll have to get 19" wheels which I'm not so keen on.
So it's interesting to read some comments from people that have the PP.

I also have Adaptive suspension on my MK6 GTI , I don't think there were many MK6's sold with this option.
Again this was something I was going to re-order on the MK7, luckily it's fitted as standard.
I've mostly been running it in comfort due to the crap Sydney roads.
Sometimes it can feel a bit soft so maybe running 19's will just take the edge off this a bit.

I wont be ordering my car until next year so I'll be very interested to see what Oztadpole does and what you think.

Ajw,

I was told by a friend who owned an mk6 gti that mk6 gti's were pretty stiff in general compared to mk7. The adaptive suspension must've made a difference?

Have you test driven a pp?

Dutch77
26-10-2014, 10:04 AM
The Mk7s are a lot more compliant than the Mk6 regardless of dampers.

At the end of the day if you must have xenons then get the PP.

If you don't need them then either save coin and grab a stocker, or if coin isn't an issue and/or availability is take the PP.

The diff and brakes are 0.01% items that based on your comments you won't need (I've been on a few VWW cruises with my stocker and was not missing anything, to gain a benefit on the road mostly suggests you probably shouldn't be on the road). The. 19s will be firmer but most people are suggesting there is not much in it so it is unlikely to be a concern - and if you find it is what better reason than to get rid of those fugly wheels? :)

Much like those who say the xenons complete the front whereas that red line is a massive no for me.. it's all subjective and pointless arguing it with someone who holds the opposite view.

Just buy a damn car already and start posting your ownership thoughts in the GTI thread. :P

AJW
26-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Ajw,

I was told by a friend who owned an mk6 gti that mk6 gti's were pretty stiff in general compared to mk7. The adaptive suspension must've made a difference?

Have you test driven a pp?

Intersting about the difference between the MK6 & 7.

Yes the adaptive suspension on the MK6 is fantastic and removes the jittery feel that can make you feel tired on a long run.
I was coming down the Bells Line of Road in the Blue Mountains with it in Comfort Mode and also the road out to Mount Wilson.
If I drove it in Normal it would have been too stiff especially the Mount Wilson road.

What's great about the adaptive suspension is if you just want to drive to work and relax a bit you have the option to do so.

No I haven't driven a MK7 yet, but I'm almost certain I'll be getting a PP.

brad
26-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Just from the other point of view, there are plenty of people getting around Sydney & other lousy roads on 19"s without issue. I think one of the key preventers is keeping the tyre pressure at the factory recommendation which is up around 38psi or a bit higher.

I'm sure a lot of people just run the default 32psi that all the servo machines revert back to after a few minutes.

Mattlock
26-10-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm sure a lot of people just run the default 32psi that all the servo machines revert back to after a few minutes.

Couldn't agree more. I did a driving course a few years ago and it clearly demonstrated to me the advantages of maintaining good tyre pressure.

I'm thinking about chopping in my GT for a new GTI. I like the idea of the PP but not that it comes with a DSG only 'box. I want a manual (it's a key point for me) and considering it's sold in other markets with a manual it's a bit annoying that I can't get it with the extra features. Ultimately, it may end up with my ring to justify to the Minister why I want to buy an R instead!

oztadpole
26-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Just from the other point of view, there are plenty of people getting around Sydney & other lousy roads on 19"s without issue. I think one of the key preventers is keeping the tyre pressure at the factory recommendation which is up around 38psi or a bit higher.

That's a good point. So many cars around with 19"+ nowadays.

Couldn't agree more. I did a driving course a few years ago and it clearly demonstrated to me the advantages of maintaining good tyre pressure.

I'm thinking about chopping in my GT for a new GTI. I like the idea of the PP but not that it comes with a DSG only 'box. I want a manual (it's a key point for me) and considering it's sold in other markets with a manual it's a bit annoying that I can't get it with the extra features. Ultimately, it may end up with my ring to justify to the Minister why I want to buy an R instead!

Haha we all have our rationalisations!!

oztadpole
26-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Just buy a damn car already and start posting your ownership thoughts in the GTI thread. :P

Dutch,

My my thoughts exactly!!! No more stuffing around.

I've ordered a GTI PP White. No other options. ETA Late November. Can't wait!!!:P

Jimi
26-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Excellent choice. That's exactly what I would have ordered had I not wanted a manual (I was also able to option the bi-xenons when I ordered a year ago). You will love it!

aj555
26-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Dutch,

My my thoughts exactly!!! No more stuffing around.

I've ordered a GTI PP White. No other options. ETA Late November. Can't wait!!!:P

Congrats - that is the same colour and spec I have.

daveee
27-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Excellent choice (although I may be a bit biased owning the identical car you ordered). :banana:

Alex31
29-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Not trying to talk you out of an amazing car... But I would recommend taking the golf R for a spin... It's just that you are going to spend all that money, I think it would be silly not to test the whole range... The R is not that much more than a GTI PP...

andrew7
29-10-2014, 07:24 PM
^ This. Dealers evidently have less margin on the PP. I found this when pricing up PP v R and found the price after disc/negotiation narrowed to around $4k. To me then the R with AWD plus added incredible grunt/cachet/performance became a no brainer ;)