PDA

View Full Version : B7 Passat Wagon - Automatic tailgate slamming

ARJ
18-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Can anyone confirm this for me? (apologies if this has been covered already)

When the automatic tailgate closes on my B7 Passat wagon, it slams very hard; can anyone else with a B7 Passat confirm that this is normal? It seems excessive and the VW service centre were unable to confirm this for me.

If it's normal, has anyone had any luck retrofitting the tailgate to a 'soft close' option? It seriously feels as though the tailgate will shake itself apart within a year or 2.

Thanks in advance!

Hillbilly
18-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Can anyone confirm this for me? (apologies if this has been covered already)

When the automatic tailgate closes on my B7 Passat wagon, it slams very hard; can anyone else with a B7 Passat confirm that this is normal? It seems excessive and the VW service centre were unable to confirm this for me.

If it's normal, has anyone had any luck retrofitting the tailgate to a 'soft close' option? It seriously feels as though the tailgate will shake itself apart within a year or 2.

Thanks in advance!
Has to shut forcefully over the last 150mm or it wont lock. Mine does it but I dont worry about it. It isnt all that hard to eventually break it. Lots of people slam boot doors a lot harder than it does.
Sooner it shut than stayed a bit open and gassed me.
In saying that seems some other makes do shut more gently. Probably depends on how the lock actually works.

Adamg
18-10-2014, 07:27 PM
My Passat Wagon is the same, comes down quite fast over the last bit. I also have a Audi Q5 and its smooth and quiet all the way, guess thats what you pay for.

ARJ
18-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Ah, good to know it's normal. But so loud! Now if only VW stole the locking mechanism from the Q5 side of the family! Thanks Adamg.

Eaglehawk
18-10-2014, 08:42 PM
It's normal. I had to make sure the number plate screws had some rubber washers to stop the plate vibrating when it closed.

Riker
21-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Yep, normal.....

SamS3
18-02-2017, 07:58 PM
I realise this an old thread but I've just bought an R36 wagon and the power tailgate also slams. I spoke to another R36 owner and they said theirs didn't slam. Also if you kinda hold it as it closes, it doesn't slam. Does replacing the gas struts help?

Hillbilly
23-04-2017, 08:34 AM
I realise this an old thread but I've just bought an R36 wagon and the power tailgate also slams. I spoke to another R36 owner and they said theirs didn't slam. Also if you kinda hold it as it closes, it doesn't slam. Does replacing the gas struts help? Didnt know they had struts unless they are hidden in the roof They are raised and lowered by an electric motor

Passat my07
23-04-2017, 03:42 PM
They aren't hidden. They are in the same spot as the manual tailgate. Mine slams sometimes too so I took the struts off to check them. Mine seemed to have about the same pressure each side so I assume they are ok. It's also difficult to get them back on because they have a lot of pressure in them. I still don't know why it slams sometimes and not others.

Hillbilly
23-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Amazing have never noticed them You are right.

kamold
23-04-2017, 05:05 PM
Mine's a bit slammy, I assumed it is as designed as I've not owned it from new.
I wonder if renewing the struts would make any difference?
Once way to find out I guess...

iampivot
24-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Also check the plastic trim your dealership adds to your numberplate with their advertising, it's normally very thin and flimsy and makes a lot of noise when the tailgate closes.

SamS3
24-04-2017, 09:32 PM
I still don't know why it slams sometimes and not others.

Mine slams "less" with the doors and windows all closed - down to the air pressure of course. I've taken to just guiding down the last few inches with my hand which defeats the object a little!

brettue
11-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Mine slams. One day it will break my dog in half while he's in the boot waiting for it to close. Good to hear it's normal though.