PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Folding Mirrors to the Mk7 Golf

peekay34
17-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi bought the Folding mirrors (same as sold by USP Motor Sports). Instructions are there as well.

Got from a supplier in China instead as was cheaper.... same mirrors though.

Got the correct switch for right hand drive through my local VW dealer (not available as a Australian part but can be ordered in).

I will fit tomorrow will let you know if you are interested how it goes.

tigger73
17-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Be interested to hear how you go. This has been tried before on a Tiguan and the guy ran into issues when he discovered that there was a difference between LHD/RHD mirrors. He found that he couldn't fit LHD mirrors to a RHD car as there's not enough adjustment in the mirror to sit (effectively) in the passenger seat and have them work.

Happy to be proven wrong, however I think you'll need to source RHD folding mirrors.

vdubmotorworx
18-10-2014, 05:55 AM
Yes LHD mirrors are different...sometimes come with a incorrect mirror from factory...looks ok but when your in the drivers seat you cant adjust them enough to see past the back of the car.....need to change the whole mirror mechanism...would only be ok if you are one of these drivers with seat full forward and head on the steering wheel like some old girls do!

peekay34
18-10-2014, 01:25 PM
OK in relation to the mirrors. The factory glass fitted the new mirrors I received so could swap..... viewing was adequate but correct tigger could be better but it was ok ... I thought about swapping the motors from the factory mirrors and try but mirrors whilst they look the same the interface was different so could not change them over.... .....the door controllers despite coding did not work with the mirrors so I believe the door control modules must be different on our Australian models compared to other cars overseas .... will have to do some research into this. Converted back to standard for now.... nice way to spend several hours to get no where..... :-( anyway it was a education but an expensive one.......

mgrobins
09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Nice project and one people would love to see succeed. Sorry to hear of your troubles with it :/

peekay34
11-11-2014, 11:53 AM
It's not over will still get it to work..... looking at getting the correct mirrors and controllers.....
VW parts this time though :-)

Moonee
15-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I notice the manual (edition 05.2014) of our MY15 GTI on page 134 has a section titled "Folding in the exterior mirrors while parking" and in part says "If the vehicle is locked from the outside with the vehicle key or with Keyless Acccess, the exterior mirrors fold in automatically".

Since VW's own manual thinks our cars have this feature I wonder if the ACCC could help us get these fitted free of charge :)

tigger73
15-11-2014, 02:52 PM
I notice the manual (edition 05.2014) of our MY15 GTI on page 134 has a section titled "Folding in the exterior mirrors while parking" and in part says "If the vehicle is locked from the outside with the vehicle key or with Keyless Acccess, the exterior mirrors fold in automatically".

Since VW's own manual thinks our cars have this feature I wonder if the ACCC could help us get these fitted free of charge :)

I'm sure there's another paragraph which states something like not all features are available in every country/region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly
15-11-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm sure there's another paragraph which states something like not all features are available in every country/region.

There is in both my manuals. Some only read the words they want to see.

The manuals are generic for the model. IE cant turn off the passengers airbag in my Polo but it says you can in the manual.

Disclaimer is there also.

Moonee
16-11-2014, 07:13 PM
The manuals are generic for the model.

Sure but you'd think say an (*) pointing out a particular item might be unavailable wouldn't be too much to ask.

Some only read the words they want to see.

Ouch.

Eaglehawk
16-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Overall, VW's attitude towards a one-size-fits-all manual is poor at best. In this day and age, generating a manual in PDF format and only having the parts that apply to YOUR vehicle isn't that hard to do. But since they can't even get their brochures correct, you'd probably get a worse result than our expectations.

grtuned
17-11-2014, 05:19 AM
It seems most people never know what there buying and what features their new vehicle have. If you don't have that feature then it's bad luck. I think writing a manual for each customers order would be highly illogical. But one thing that's rubbish is that these items should be able to be retrofitted to any vehicle after sale with minimal fuss.

GolfVII
18-11-2014, 08:15 AM

@Moonee, please do not get me started, well you may have.... All the promo material I looked at when purchasing my TDI R-Line showed "xenon" headlights with the single U DRL. So i ordered it as pictured without the B-Xenon lights thinking this was with two of these fancy globes, thinking I will be getting one with the DRL I was not fussed in paying extra for something I would already be getting one off. After doing a bit more research after placing my order I worked out that the "Xenon" headlights I though was coming on the car was in fact incorrect and I would be getting the standard halogen globes. If I wanted the U DRL I would have to order these extra so I contacted the dealer and they did not want to change the order and I even spoke to VWA who informed me if the dealer contacted them the week before I could have added these to my option but they did not even try to have these added the week earlier when asking them to. After speaking with VWA the dealer started the whole Bi-Xenons are not on the Highline range any more and blah blah blah spin extra. I was about to cancel my order and leave the dealer with the car I ordered and go the another VW dealer as I found out later my neighbours daughter in law worked at a VW dealer, but by this time I did not want to wait another 2-3 months for a car so I will just have to retro fit them later when genuine ones are priced better, more like the mk6 are now.

Folding Mirrors is another feature you would think would come on a "Highline" model as it sounds prestigious but hey this is another option to have retro fitted.

All these retro fitted parts will have to help with resale because there is a limited amount of cars with it... doubt it lol GolfVII spends $5k on retro fitted parts gets an extra $100 resale lol.

I do get annoyed when I read the MY15 broacher and see the "O" next to Bi-Xenon Lights and then have a dealer say, you can not get these on the models specified.... WTF! the material is misleading and no where do they have a sign up advising there was a printing error etc. like any good retailer needs to do when they advertise a product incorrectly. I say if you are willing to wait for a car and you want this option force the dealer to add it because its listed as a option. Until it is not listed in the promotional material or a disclaimer is advertised it is not optional any more then the product is available.

The only problem with going to the ACCC about VW and their misleading information is that they are only hurting themselves, its not like they are selling Heinz baked beans and saying they are on special for $1.00 only to come in and have them for $1.10 or advertising a 100g pack of weekbix and showing a 500g packet. The reason VWA can get away with this is because it of that statement tigger73 listed "not all features are available in every country/region."

Bring on the cheap genuine parts! I want to retro fit features VWA would not offer when I was willing to throw my money at them for it.....:facepalm:

Tuesday rant over hehe

In all seriousness if someone ends up doing a group buy for RHD folding mirrors I will be interested.

Euro Car Upgrades
18-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Hi G7,
You can retrofit Bi-Xenon U LED headlights (http://jku.com.au/genuine-vw-golf-7-bi-xenon-led-headlights-oem-5g1941033-5g1941034-5g1941753-5g1941754-5g2941751-5g2941752.html) after the purchase.
Its a bit of an exercise as the coding is quite extensive through over 1020 adaptation channels but its more than possible.
XENON (http://jku.com.au/genuine-vw-golf-7-bi-xenon-led-headlights-oem-5g1941033-5g1941034-5g1941753-5g1941754-5g2941751-5g2941752.html) Headlights are on promo at the moment and we can fit it for anyone in Maroochydore.

@Moonee, please do not get me started, well you may have.... All the promo material I looked at when purchasing my TDI R-Line showed "xenon" headlights with the single U DRL. So i ordered it as pictured without the B-Xenon lights thinking this was with two of these fancy globes, thinking I will be getting one with the DRL I was not fussed in paying extra for something I would already be getting one off. After doing a bit more research after placing my order I worked out that the "Xenon" headlights I though was coming on the car was in fact incorrect and I would be getting the standard halogen globes. If I wanted the U DRL I would have to order these extra so I contacted the dealer and they did not want to change the order and I even spoke to VWA who informed me if the dealer contacted them the week before I could have added these to my option but they did not even try to have these added the week earlier when asking them to. After speaking with VWA the dealer started the whole Bi-Xenons are not on the Highline range any more and blah blah blah spin extra. I was about to cancel my order and leave the dealer with the car I ordered and go the another VW dealer as I found out later my neighbours daughter in law worked at a VW dealer, but by this time I did not want to wait another 2-3 months for a car so I will just have to retro fit them later when genuine ones are priced better, more like the mk6 are now.

Folding Mirrors is another feature you would think would come on a "Highline" model as it sounds prestigious but hey this is another option to have retro fitted.

All these retro fitted parts will have to help with resale because there is a limited amount of cars with it... doubt it lol GolfVII spends $5k on retro fitted parts gets an extra $100 resale lol.

I do get annoyed when I read the MY15 broacher and see the "O" next to Bi-Xenon Lights and then have a dealer say, you can not get these on the models specified.... WTF! the material is misleading and no where do they have a sign up advising there was a printing error etc. like any good retailer needs to do when they advertise a product incorrectly. I say if you are willing to wait for a car and you want this option force the dealer to add it because its listed as a option. Until it is not listed in the promotional material or a disclaimer is advertised it is not optional any more then the product is available.

The only problem with going to the ACCC about VW and their misleading information is that they are only hurting themselves, its not like they are selling Heinz baked beans and saying they are on special for $1.00 only to come in and have them for $1.10 or advertising a 100g pack of weekbix and showing a 500g packet. The reason VWA can get away with this is because it of that statement tigger73 listed "not all features are available in every country/region."

Bring on the cheap genuine parts! I want to retro fit features VWA would not offer when I was willing to throw my money at them for it.....:facepalm:

Tuesday rant over hehe

In all seriousness if someone ends up doing a group buy for RHD folding mirrors I will be interested.

peekay34
19-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Mr JKU can you price a kit..... with door controllers for folding mirrors?

Euro Car Upgrades
19-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Mr JKU can you price a kit..... with door controllers for folding mirrors?

CAn be done if you send us an email (info@jku.com.au)with the request.
We have done the mirrors on G6 like on this video:

http://youtu.be/Fsry0gcGejQ

fastmk7
11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Yeah ,I bought a set from USP also right before I remembered coming across the LHD/RHD issue in an erlier life,I'll locate a lh mirror rom O/S and check the BCM to see if it can be activated ,if not (i'll be in too deep by then) I'll get BCM and see where we go from there, worse comes to worse I'll do a workaround using a seperate circuit to operate...no I won't be going anywhere near can-bus, too expensive !

sweep
12-12-2014, 02:09 PM
CAn be done if you send us an email (info@jku.com.au)with the request.
We have done the mirrors on G6 like on this video:

http://youtu.be/Fsry0gcGejQ

These look pretty cool, just sent an email about them.

DV52
12-12-2014, 08:44 PM
OK, I'm trying to understand why the task of fitting fold-in mirrors is so complex. Had a quick look at the wiring diagrams for fold-in mirrors and they look fairly straight forward (see below).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/Apnu49Rpng-1.jpg
I've shown both the standard and fold-in mirror assemblies for the diver's side door for comparison. I assume that the wiring loom between the door controller and the new fold-in mirror assembly is already fitted to the car (if not, then there could be some work to do). So, what else am I missing?

peekay34
12-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Bought the Door Controllers today based on what I believe that should be the pinouts are all there. I have the correct part numbers for the mirrors ...... Will order those after xmas.

peekay34
12-12-2014, 10:53 PM
OK, I'm trying to understand why the task of fitting fold-in mirrors is so complex. Had a quick look at the wiring diagrams for fold-in mirrors and they look fairly straight forward (see below)-
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13591&stc=1

I assume that the wiring loom between the door controller (I've shown the Driver's side controller in the pic) and the new fold-in mirror motor (V121) is already fitted to the car - So, what am I missing?

Can you post the pic I can't see it!...Thanks....

peekay34
12-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Attached the Door controller Details..... 13598

peekay34
12-12-2014, 11:03 PM
and pics 13601

DV52
13-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Can you post the pic I can't see it!...Thanks....

peekay: Fixed - sorry

PS: I can't read the pin-out on your diagram. Do the pin numbers on my wiring diagram (for J386) match up with those on your document?

peekay34
13-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Can send you the pdf just msg me your email..... Also your question on whats missing in your diagram..... the motor to fold it and probably the smarts in the door controller.

DV52
13-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Can send you the pdf just msg me your email..... Also your question on whats missing in your diagram..... the motor to fold it and probably the smarts in the door controller.

peekay: Isn't V121 in my previous wiring diagram the motor for the fold-in function (incidentally, I added the standard mirror to the diagram for reference)? As for the "smarts in the door controller", I assume that all that is needed is to activate bit 4 and bit 6 of Byte 4 in the door controllers- see pic below. Is my assumption incorrect?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/wNK4E7upng-1.jpg

I'm also assuming that the extra switch for the fold-in mirrors will not be a problem because E263 in the diagram below is simply part of the whole switch assembly. Am I wrong?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/ms4QQ3xpng-1.jpg

beroukas
14-12-2014, 09:24 AM
How is this going, success?

Logic would be if you get it sorted on a GTI it could be done on a 7R. Throw up a video if it's finished.

peekay34
16-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Waiting for the controllers will order the Mirrors in the new year....I believe possibly the 7R already has the correct controllers just missing the mirrors from what I understand... I can post the part numbers for the mirrors but if you want to wait I would suggest that you do.... fortuitously I can get them at Trade..

peekay34
16-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Yes the switch is different. I already have one of those...is a different part number.

DV52
16-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Peekay: Arhh .. that's much better!! Thanks for sending the document. It seems from the wiring diagrams that I posted earlier that the critical connector on the door module for the fold-in facility is T16a I've decoded the German for the 16 Pin connector on your document. The results are enclosed below

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/G2i6Wzfpng-1.jpg

From what I can tell, the door controller models "FA Max" and "BF Max" appear to have compatible pin assignments with my wiring diagram. This being the case, am I right in suggesting that the correct part numbers for the door modules for fold-in mirrors are:

Driver's Door :FA Max - 5Q0.959.593.B (this aligns with the part number on your pic above)
Passenger Door:BF Max - 5Q0.959.592.B

The part numbers for the door controllers on my car are:
Driver's Door :5Q4.959.593
Passenger Door: 5Q4.959.592
Can you advise if these are compatible with fold-in mirrors?

peekay34
17-12-2014, 08:03 PM
I don't believe so but could not be sure...... need accesss to ETKA to check but I don't have it .... I managed to find someone on ebay that had these for sale for 100 delivered for both controllers. Waiting for those to arrive.

peekay34
24-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Mirrors are on order with correct part numbers..... so not long now

booba
04-01-2015, 07:56 PM
I have done this on 7R, don't need controllers or any wiring changes, just coding. Here are the part numbers.

Left Mirror 5G2 857 507 CA 9B9
Right Mirror 5G2 857 508 AJ 9B9
Switch 5G0 959 565 AA ICX

Unsure if GTI and lower require controllers, these are probably the correct ones. Unsure if wiring changes are required however i don't think they would be needed.

Drivers Door Controller 5Q0 959 593 B Z0G
Passenger Door Controller 5Q0 959 593 B Z0G

booba
04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Hi,

Those are the Base Part numbers for all the controllers, what matters is the code after 593 B, 592 B.

For Folding you need Z0T version, non folding is Z0F. Now the problem was that I didn't see this actually printed on the controllers at all on the ones that came in my 7R so i don't know how to tell. at least in mk5 golf it wouldn't accept the +4096 required for coding however from research all controllers in 7R will accept mirror folding coding whether it supports the feature or not.

Peekay: Arhh .. that's much better!! Thanks for sending the document. It seems from the wiring diagrams that I posted earlier that the critical connector on the door module for the fold-in facility is T16a I've decoded the German for the 16 Pin connector on your document. The results are enclosed below

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/12/G2i6Wzfpng-1.jpg

From what I can tell, the door controller models "FA Max" and "BF Max" appear to have compatible pin assignments with my wiring diagram. This being the case, am I right in suggesting that the correct part numbers for the door modules for fold-in mirrors are:

Driver's Door :FA Max - 5Q0.959.593.B (this aligns with the part number on your pic above)
Passenger Door:BF Max - 5Q0.959.592.B

The part numbers for the door controllers on my car are:
Driver's Door :5Q4.959.593
Passenger Door: 5Q4.959.592
Can you advise if these are compatible with fold-in mirrors?

peekay34
06-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Hi I am pretty sure the part numbers are the same I ordered (don't have the paper work). The controllers are a back up only just in case. It is weird that VW don't label the controllers with the information above...but hope I have the correct ones. I should hope they arrive maybe next week as they had to come from Germany. The cost to buy them at trade was not much difference than that of oemvwshop but that site seems to have disappeared just checked again and is back...... I have the switch already in preparation :-)

andrew7
07-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Hey Peekay, good luck with this, make sure you post a vid on you tube/instructions for the rest of us if it works as it is a handy mod :)

Booba, to clarify you have the folder mirrors working, have you set out the steps etc cheers

DV52
07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
Hi,

Those are the Base Part numbers for all the controllers, what matters is the code after 593 B, 592 B.

For Folding you need Z0T version, non folding is Z0F. Now the problem was that I didn't see this actually printed on the controllers at all on the ones that came in my 7R so i don't know how to tell. at least in mk5 golf it wouldn't accept the +4096 required for coding however from research all controllers in 7R will accept mirror folding coding whether it supports the feature or not.

Booba: thanks for the additional piece of information. Regarding your dilemma about how to tell whether you have ZOT, or ZOF version modules, doesn't the pin-out give you an indication. For example, if you look at your current modules (notwithstanding that you don't currently have fold-in mirrors) and then see if any of the pins are populated according to my pin-pout diagram (which is really from peekay's document

peekay34
08-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Controllers Arrived yesterday... now for the Mirrors.

peekay34
09-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Mirrors now arrived as well....

DV52
09-01-2015, 06:01 PM

peekay: OK, good to start the project then. Don't forget to take lots of pics!!!

Dawson
09-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Sensational mate, looking forward to hearing the outcome. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly, this is definitely on my list to do soon!

Would love like DV52 the process, but also would like if possible to know where you got everything from and part numbers.
I think this is probably a mod that is far above my skill and expertise but would like to get all of the parts together to get someone with the skills to complete it of me.

Cheers
Dawson

andrew7
09-01-2015, 08:24 PM
agree with Dawson watching with gr8 interest!

Eaglehawk
09-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Ditto here too. I'm manually folding the mirrors in every time I get home.

peekay34
10-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Well...... the mirrors I received were the wrong ones and will be returned back (damn vw dealer who gave me the incorrect numbers). fortunately the dealer will take them back as they are the standard mirrors. This will give you and idea how to fit..... http://www.uspmotorsports.com/downloads/M001-Instructions.pdf btw I used these instructions.

booba
11-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Comparing the actual pins on the modules unfortunately isn't an indication as the connector look indentical. I didn't take a good look at them when the door card was off at the time.

Booba: thanks for the additional piece of information. Regarding your dilemma about how to tell whether you have ZOT, or ZOF version modules, doesn't the pin-out give you an indication. For example, if you look at your current modules (notwithstanding that you don't currently have fold-in mirrors) and then see if any of the pins are populated according to my pin-pout diagram (which is really from peekay's document

booba
11-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, on 7R. I used this as a guide - http://www.uspmotorsports.com/downloads/M001-Instructions.pdf

Hey Peekay, good luck with this, make sure you post a vid on you tube/instructions for the rest of us if it works as it is a handy mod :)

Booba, to clarify you have the folder mirrors working, have you set out the steps etc cheers

peekay34
22-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Mirrors Arrived with the motors .... finally

Dawson
22-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Mirrors Arrived with the motors .... finally

Fingers crossed it's all smooth sailing mate!

peekay34
23-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Hooray in an finally working.... On the Performance Pack the controllers were required (can't speak for the standard GTI).

The part numbers are correct Booba provided.

A couple of things to the note the instructions from USP Motor Sport are correct. But the wiring to move the door skin on the drivers side is a little more fiddly ...I was upside upside down looking up the door..... you don't need to remove the door skin completely on either door (the door handle cable) just lay some cardboard down so the skin does not get damaged. Routing the cables can be a little difficult but if you get the grabby thing from supercheap auto and a magnet then is to hard.

Important One thing to note..... do not try and fold the mirrors manually they are not spring loaded like the factory standard mirrors. You must use the Switch or the keyfob to lose them or you will break them. I followed the coding from USP motor sport not sure if Booba can add anything here. The manual says go to the Car Setup Mirrors but I can't see any thing will have another look tomorrow to Auto close them on lock.... I have to hold the lock button on the Fob for them to close or use the switch. Video and PICs attached. Last pic is the video.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/IMG_0191-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/peekay34/media/IMG_0191.jpg.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/IMG_0189-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/peekay34/media/IMG_0189.jpg.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/IMG_0187-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/peekay34/media/IMG_0187.jpg.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/th_IMG_0193mp4-1.jpg (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/peekay34/IMG_0193.mp4)

gt_eye
23-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Sooo much want....
But I would have to get someone to do it, I have no patience lol :mad: :rifle:
Wonder how much to get the parts bought and installed
Anyone know?

Eaglehawk
23-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Same here.

And without reading through the previous 4 pages, is this applicable to a TDI Highline? Or do I need more parts?

peekay34
24-01-2015, 11:26 AM
No idea re Hi Line may need different door controllers... the parts were approx $750 to buy... not including the Hex Can cable I have from Rosstech

wasabiz
24-01-2015, 02:01 PM
This is really interesting. I might do this for myself,

Do the left mirror dip when you reverse?

booba
24-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Great work, I haven't had a chance to do any further resarch for adaption of the navigation to bring up mirror options. it will no doubt be a coding issue.

Lock the car by holding down lock and the mirrors fold on my golf r. If i lock the car by touch handle (golf r kessy) it won't fold on lock. It might be a bad idea to fold on lock as sometimes i park so close to things that it would smash my mirror if it tried to fold.

*edit* just noticed that you had the grabby thing. We didn't have one, what a mission!

Hooray in an finally working.... On the Performance Pack the controllers were required (can't speak for the standard GTI).

The part numbers are correct Booba provided.

A couple of things to the note the instructions from USP Motor Sport are correct. But the wiring to move the door skin on the drivers side is a little more fiddly ...I was upside upside down looking up the door..... you don't need to remove the door skin completely on either door (the door handle cable) just lay some cardboard down so the skin does not get damaged. Routing the cables can be a little difficult but if you get the grabby thing from supercheap auto and a magnet then is to hard.

Important One thing to note..... do not try and fold the mirrors manually they are not spring loaded like the factory standard mirrors. You must use the Switch or the keyfob to lose them or you will break them. I followed the coding from USP motor sport not sure if Booba can add anything here. The manual says go to the Car Setup Mirrors but I can't see any thing will have another look tomorrow to Auto close them on lock.... I have to hold the lock button on the Fob for them to close or use the switch. Video and PICs attached. Last pic is the video.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/IMG_0191-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/peekay34/media/IMG_0191.jpg.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/IMG_0189-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/peekay34/media/IMG_0189.jpg.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/IMG_0187-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/peekay34/media/IMG_0187.jpg.html)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/01/th_IMG_0193mp4-1.jpg (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/peekay34/IMG_0193.mp4)

peekay34
25-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Mirror actions are the same as standard mirrors on your car

anduril
02-02-2015, 09:59 PM
This is truly outstanding peekay. All in all how long did this take you to complete?

I also didn't realise the puddle lights come standard with the folding mirrors.

Just to confirm, where did you order your parts from? Are they all from USP Sports?

peekay34
05-02-2015, 10:28 AM
OK so an update all of a sudden my mirrors would no longer Fold in via my the remote after working for over a week. After hunting around I finally found something that helped and it is now fixed. Thanks to the finder of this on the other forum ......as I was left scratching my Head.
So after hunting found some more coding that is required. You have two options to fold on Lock or Fold by remote. The USP coding instructions are not enough. Again you need a Ross Tech Cable....or simular. A full dump of this can be found at
VWVortex.com - USP Folding Mirrors VAG-COM - Fold automatically upon locking - Instructions (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7063616-USP-Folding-Mirrors-VAG-COM-Fold-automatically-upon-locking-Instructions&p=86567601&viewfull=1)

VCDS:
Choose "Select control Module"

[09] Central Electronics
[16] Security Access - Code is 31347, click "Do it!"
[10] Adaptation, choose from the drop down channel
[23] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappen change to "active", click do it
[26] - Access control 2 - Menuesteuerung Funkspiegelanklappen change to “active”
[24] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus change to “by look command via remote control key” this will fold the mirrors on lock.
[24] - Access control 2 - Funk Spiegelanklappung Modus change to “via convenience via remote control key” This will work ensure function works via remote (which is what I selected as I don't need them to fold all the time)

peekay34
05-02-2015, 10:30 AM
HI Mate do not order from USP the offsets are incorrect and they will not function correctly....... Also the switch is wrong is for left hand drive cars...... IF you want them I got mine from South Yarra Volkswagen..... Adam ordered them

Dawson
05-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Well done Peekay34, great write up and effort.
This is definitely on my list to do to mine.

GolfVII
18-02-2015, 07:47 PM
I ordered the folding mirror modules listed in this thread for my highline yesterday.

thanks for the write up peekay34, I cant wait to try this on my car :)

peekay34
19-02-2015, 08:24 AM
If anyone needs to buy the door controllers I have them available for sale I got them in .... I did not need them they normally cost $330 retail here each .... I have not tested them but they are brand new.... so open to offers

GolfVII
19-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Peekay34 is that because you coded them to fold on locking/unlocking?

GolfVII
14-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Well my mirrors and switch arrived this week and today I installed them with great success, they fold, the puddle lights work and I can choose to fold them when locking from the MFD.

These should have been on there from the get go! now my car is really a Highline :P

PS. this thread should be changed to "Fitting Folding Mirrors to a Golf Mk7"

Fold via FOB movie (http://vid237.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/Reaperofhell99/VW%20Golf%20Mk7%20TDI%20R-Line/C9A646B7-6313-4796-A8FD-8DB372580257.mp4)

MRG_AU
14-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Congratulations, GolfVII. I am very keen on this install and once my Highline comes this would be the first hardware mod I am planning on doing.

GolfVII
14-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Guys the only parts you need is listed in this thread, plus a ROSS-TECH cable and some patients :)

my dealer ordered the parts:

All up it was around $800

and i followed the instructions here:
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/downloads/M001-Instructions.pdf

and here:
VWVortex.com - USP Folding Mirrors VAG-COM - Fold automatically upon locking - Instructions (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7063616-USP-Folding-Mirrors-VAG-COM-Fold-automatically-upon-locking-Instructions&p=86567601&viewfull=1)

Its also handy to have a set of trim removal tools, so you don't break any clips. I also used string instead of the grabby tool shown as I not to keen to get metal things near the paint work.

zapsplat
15-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Sparked my interest in doing this mod - few questions for those that have done it:
1. Do you have to order the mirrors in a colour to match your car, or do you use existing housing?
2. As previously asked, I presume the dip in reverse function still works?
3. Do the mirrors come with heating in them? (where I live the early morning dew is a real problem)

Thanks!

GolfVII
15-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Sparked my interest in doing this mod - few questions for those that have done it:
1. Do you have to order the mirrors in a colour to match your car, or do you use existing housing?
2. As previously asked, I presume the dip in reverse function still works?
3. Do the mirrors come with heating in them? (where I live the early morning dew is a real problem)

Thanks!

1. Use existing housing
2. dip in reverse still works
3. heat function is built in to the mirror and you use existing mirrors.

zapsplat
15-03-2015, 07:49 PM
1. Use existing housing
2. dip in reverse still works
3. heat function is built in to the mirror and you use existing mirrors.

Fantastic! I'll have to look into this when I finally get my car!

Eaglehawk
15-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Group buy? :)

MRG_AU
15-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Yep, I am interested @Eaglehawk.

zapsplat
16-03-2015, 07:01 AM
I would be interested too @eaglehawk, but I want to wait to get mine to see if the process would change with the blind spot monitors now integrated into the mirrors

AdamD
16-03-2015, 08:10 AM
PS. this thread should be changed to "Fitting Folding Mirrors to a Golf Mk7"

Good idea; thread has been renamed. ;)

beroukas
16-03-2015, 03:03 PM
I have done this on 7R, don't need controllers or any wiring changes, just coding. Here are the part numbers.

Unsure if GTI and lower require controllers, these are probably the correct ones. Unsure if wiring changes are required however i don't think they would be needed.

Drivers Door Controller 5Q0 959 593 B Z0G
Passenger Door Controller 5Q0 959 593 B Z0G

Hey guys,

Top work on this, really putting smiles on peoples faces:rolleyes:
Just want to confirm for all the Golf R owners.

1.These are the 3 parts we need:

(no controllers required)

2. Instructions are as per USP instructions posted earlier, followed by additional VCDS link also posted earlier.

peekay34
01-04-2015, 10:42 AM
No just did not need to use them GOLFVII

Dave_MY15_R
04-04-2015, 02:53 PM
Im also interested in the group buy, i get my white Golf R in a couple of weeks

also where do i get the cable and do you need to purchase the software?

knightsy
04-04-2015, 08:51 PM
You've got my attention with the group buy also.

ryanjames20
04-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Definitely interested in a Group Buy also!

peekay34
06-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Your Require the Ross Tech cable..... Ross-Tech: Distributor List (http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.html)

MRG_AU
06-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Dear VW mates, do any of you know whether we could purchase folding mirrors with blind spot indicators! I believe this system uses the four exterior different looking sensors for this functionality

MRG

GolfVII
06-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Hey MRG_AU,

If you pop your mirror off I would say you have four wires plugged in to the glass. The modules codes listed for the folding mirrors only have two wires to the glass (for the heating element). I would say unless you can sweet talk the parts guy at the dealer to look up the folding mirror part number suited for DAP2 you will not be able to upgrade to folding mirrors using these part number and retain blindspot warning. Anyone without DAP2 happy days jump on the group buy!

This is the reference shot I took to know where the wires plugged in to:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/04/35526FE0E247461199AC6CA2FDDA7145-1.jpg

booba
06-04-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the system uses actual radar devices fitting under the body panels. i have this in my passat and there are radar sensors everywhere. i don't think the capacitive touch sensors in the locking sensors would suffice.

Dear VW mates, do any of you know whether we could purchase folding mirrors with blind spot indicators! I believe this system uses the four exterior different looking sensors for this functionality

MRG

MRG_AU
06-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Ok thanks all. I will initiate sweet talk tomorrow [emoji4]

jetz427
08-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Whats the approx cost if we do a group buy?

ryanjames20
08-04-2015, 11:49 PM
@MRG_AU - Very good question !
We need a lovely forum member with DAP2 and willing to give one of us their VIN, then go to a dealer and fit all the necessary parts (or complete set of parts) for the retrofit of folding/heated/vanity-light/Blind-spot mirrors.

According to other forum members the Blind Spot Monitoring could be using the existing rear parking sensors which feature in DAP1 with the self parking. If this is true, and as long as the connection from the mirrors to the door modules are wired correctly; I'm foreseeing that retrofit of Blind Spot folding mirrors to be a possibility.

Either way, I'm definitely in for a set :D

MRG_AU
10-04-2015, 10:35 PM
@ryanjames20 - sent you my VIN in PM. [emoji106]

ryanjames20
11-04-2015, 12:34 AM
@MRG_AU thank you mate!
I shall have a chat with my parts guy and find differences but similarities which could lead us to basically getting a version of your mirror, with blind spot indicators; But folding and puddle lamp too.

Will keep you informed :)

booba
12-04-2015, 09:35 PM
There is zero chance of this working with only a mirror swap and coding. The blind spot monitoring uses radar sensors hidden inside the rear bumper and probably other panels and will also need a controller for the blind spot monitoring that receives and processes signals from the radar sensors which in turn tell the door controller to alert you.

@MRG_AU - Very good question !
We need a lovely forum member with DAP2 and willing to give one of us their VIN, then go to a dealer and fit all the necessary parts (or complete set of parts) for the retrofit of folding/heated/vanity-light/Blind-spot mirrors.

According to other forum members the Blind Spot Monitoring could be using the existing rear parking sensors which feature in DAP1 with the self parking. If this is true, and as long as the connection from the mirrors to the door modules are wired correctly; I'm foreseeing that retrofit of Blind Spot folding mirrors to be a possibility.

Either way, I'm definitely in for a set :D

booba
12-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Ok so initially for the folding mirrors with blind spot detection you need these two parts

Left Mirror Housing 5G2 857 507 CC
Right Mirror Housing 5G2 857 507 AK

PR Code for Blind Sport Monitoring is PR-7Y8, PR-6XQ is for folding.

These are RHD units. You will need to fit the Radar Controller which is probably something like 5Q0 907 685 A along with the relevant radar sensors into the rear bumper and then have it calibrated by VW.

*edit*, here are the controller locations for blind spot detection - controllers 3&4

Master Controller 3 5Q0 907 686 B
Master Controller Bracket 5G6 907 456
Slave Controller 4 5Q1 907 685 B
Slave Controller Bracket 5G6 907 455

Hex Collar Nut (2 required i think) N 015 082 10
Hex Collar Bolt (4 required i think) N 019 530 7

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/04/0Nfl5WUpng-2.jpg

MRG_AU
12-04-2015, 10:28 PM
@booba, thanks mate. Excellent information.

booba
13-04-2015, 09:11 AM
I forgot to mention that you will need the actual mirrors themselves that support blind spot. If they cost anything like the anti dazzle mirrors then expect them to be at least $800 per mirror.

Mirror Glass Part Numbers in case anyone is actually crazy enough to do this

mirror glass (convex) with carrier plate left 5G0 857 521 N
mirror glass (convex) with carrier plate right 5G0 857 522M

ryanjames20
13-04-2015, 10:36 PM
@booba, yea so maybe I'll just leave it and stick to standard folding mirrors for DAP1 :P
Does seem possible, and thank you for getting those part numbers. I did actually find out today about the controllers needed for blind spot, and adding those won't be to hard but its more the wiring and re-programming which will be the biggest issue.

None-the-less, still definitely interested in some folding mirrors :D

booba
13-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Wiring won't be that difficult, it would simply be power and canbus to both units. The most difficult part would be calibration and convincing the VW dealer that your DAP1 car should be programmed for DAP2.

iwhy
14-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Maybe you can help me with this issue. Yesterday my friend changed his driver door controller to 5Q0 959 593 A to be able to have mirror lights retrofited (not whole folding mirrors) since his original door controller doesn't have the pin for mirror lights. I was able to code that new unit with coding from my car since I have the same controller and enable the mirror lights that finally works.
Problem is with controls in drivers door that it works in exact same operation like to open window he need to flip switch up instead of down, doors close and open button is reversed etc. but only for drivers door, controlly other windows from drivers door works fine.

As far as I know the controller was previously used in Audi S3, so is there any other configuration in VCDS that needs to be done? Coding and all adaptations was configured from my mk7 Highline so I have no clue what other I can do. Thanks!

ryanjames20
28-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Okay so I'm just looking at doing this modification myself, I've got the part numbers all ready at my dealership and pricing - I just want to make sure that the Door Controllers are going to work.

In my MY15 Built14 R-Line I have Door control units:
5G0 959 593 D
5G0 959 592 D

Has anyone been able to retrofit with these control units? Or with an R-line for that matter?

Thanks guys :D

MRG_AU
12-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone, Adam in parts at South yarra volkswagen was kind enough to look up folding mirror parts no.'s required for cars with blind spot monitoring (DAP2)

Here are the part no.'s for mirrors and switch.
LHS-5G2 857 507 CC 9B9
RHS-5G2 857 508 AK 9B9
Switch-5G0 959 565 AJ ICX

Mirror is $303+GST
Switch is $73+GST

He is not sure if controllers are needed. Are these 3 parts enough to make my mirrors fold without loosing the existing tilt function on left side mirror during reverse!
Please advice if I need anything else or if I am wrong

Regards,
MRG

juniorgold
04-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone, Adam in parts at South yarra volkswagen was kind enough to look up folding mirror parts no.'s required for cars with blind spot monitoring (DAP2)

Here are the part no.'s for mirrors and switch.
LHS-5G2 857 507 CC 9B9
RHS-5G2 857 508 AK 9B9
Switch-5G0 959 565 AJ ICX

Mirror is $303+GST
Switch is $73+GST

He is not sure if controllers are needed. Are these 3 parts enough to make my mirrors fold without loosing the existing tilt function on left side mirror during reverse!
Please advice if I need anything else or if I am wrong

Regards,
MRG
Hi MRG_AU, have you managed to retrofit the powered mirror for DAP II successfully? I'm looking to have this done so I checked with my dealer and he says VWA can't order this in, I will have to contact VW Germany and get it shipped privately. Is this true?

MRG_AU
04-11-2015, 08:26 PM
I have not done this yet. I am sure Adam in south yarra can order them for you, he told me he has to order them from VW Germany as special order. He was very confident about getting them in 2 weeks from the date of order.

Regards,
MRG

DV52
04-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Maybe you can help me with this issue. Yesterday my friend changed his driver door controller to 5Q0 959 593 A to be able to have mirror lights retrofited (not whole folding mirrors) since his original door controller doesn't have the pin for mirror lights. I was able to code that new unit with coding from my car since I have the same controller and enable the mirror lights that finally works.
Problem is with controls in drivers door that it works in exact same operation like to open window he need to flip switch up instead of down, doors close and open button is reversed etc. but only for drivers door, controlly other windows from drivers door works fine.

As far as I know the controller was previously used in Audi S3, so is there any other configuration in VCDS that needs to be done? Coding and all adaptations was configured from my mk7 Highline so I have no clue what other I can do. Thanks!

iwhy: Hi. Just a hunch, but it sounds like the driver's side control module is set-up for RH drive! What was the setting on Byte 5 of the door control module (address Hex42)? In your country where I assume that cars are not RH drive, the value of Byte 5 should be hex00 (i.e. bit 0 should be 0)
Don

juniorgold
05-11-2015, 07:16 AM
I have not done this yet. I am sure Adam in south yarra can order them for you, he told me he has to order them from VW Germany as special order. He was very confident about getting them in 2 weeks from the date of order.

Regards,
MRG
Thanks MRG. Good to know the story lines up. I will see if my dealer is willing to order them from Germany on my behalf, otherwise it would be great if you could hook me up with Adam to help me out. What was the reason for you not going ahead with this mod just yet?

MRG_AU
05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Hi juniorgold, got too busy at work and with other commitments so I did not get time to proceed with this mod. "Lazy". Now that you have spiked my interest on this mod, I spoke to my local dealer in Canberra and they said they can get them for me as a back order but I will go see them coming Monday and double check what I currently have in the car and the new parts I mentioned suits perfectly and comply dap2. I will update soon after that assessment.

Regards,
MRG

juniorgold
05-11-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm interested MRG. Your dealer contacts are really helpful! If it will be cheaper to order 2 sets of everything and split postage, I'm happy to do that. Let me know. I'm based in Melbourne but I wouldn't mind taking a drive to Canberra, never been there.

MRG_AU
05-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Sure I will find out if there is any discount but why you want to do in Canberra, it's same price there too. Might as well get it done in south yarra VW or some other dealer close by. Up to you but once I am sure about these parts and compatibility and group buy discount, I will let you know.

Regards,
MRG

Kiaorana
05-11-2015, 06:24 PM
I'd be keen to join in if we do group buy

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

juniorgold
05-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Sure I will find out if there is any discount but why you want to do in Canberra, it's same price there too. Might as well get it done in south yarra VW or some other dealer close by. Up to you but once I am sure about these parts and compatibility and group buy discount, I will let you know.

Regards,
MRG
I may have missed something. Did you say your dealer in Canberra will fit it for you too or are you going the DIY route? If the saving cost is minimal I might just get it done locally. Cheers for that MRG.

MRG_AU
05-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Dealer fitting is the deal, let's see what happens.

Regards,
MRG

Ralfi
05-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Dealer fitting is the deal, let's see what happens.

Regards,
MRG

Are we confident in the dealers skills here? I wouldn't think they'd be too experienced in these upgrades??

MRG_AU
05-11-2015, 11:07 PM
I know, but I am worried I may break them if I try fitting it myself. Coding I can manage but fitting them I am little worried. Although this thread has too much information on DIY. I prefer dealer to fit it and I will code it. Hopefully everything goes well.

Regards,
MRG

booba
05-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Um, I am pretty sure that you need more than just the DAP2 versions of the mirrors. There are the radar units under the rear bumper and calibration.

MRG_AU
05-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Hi booba, forgive my ignorance, but why? car is already equipped with dap2 which has all these and fully functioning blind spot monitoring system. Mirrors just doesn't fold. Which is what I am trying to update. Correct me if you think I would still need more than these three parts.

Regards,
MRG

sparkyboy69
06-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Foldable mirrors appear to be ridiculously expensive. Quoted$1999 plus 5 hours labour to fit

rpwolf
07-11-2015, 01:26 AM
Im following this thread with interest guys. Would love to make this happen on my Wolfsburg wagon without losing blind spot indicator, mirror heater, reverse parking turn down, etc. It's quite amazing the amount of features and tech are packed into a simple side mirror these days!

Ralfi
07-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Foldable mirrors appear to be ridiculously expensive. Quoted$1999 plus 5 hours labour to fit

I was quoted about half that (I think that was including labour).

That was months ago though, & the company has been through some management changes so not sure what it'd cost these days.

RAINFALLGR
09-11-2015, 04:39 AM
Hello, i am new member here,
My Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion is about 9 months old.
I order via ebay a set of genuine used folding mirrors, controllers, and switch.
As i had already mirror dipping function i didn't replace the passenger controller and everything worked with that side.
My old driver's controller was low spec 5Q0 959 393 D and i replace it with a 5Q0 959 593 B version(we have LHD in Greece).
Right away i noticed some problems.
1. orange led in lock switch did not work ( switch worked fine)
2. Puddle lights did not work on the mirror
3. My windows did not work most of the time. I turn the key off and back on and they worked fine, but i tested again after 10 min. they stopped working.

I email the seller and VW told him that:
"The problem is you need to go to the Vw store, they must put online coding of Both driver controllers ( 42 and 52). In odis you can say under interactive function " coding " than everything wil work only folding mirror not, but this you can code with vcds."

His english is not very good but what does he mean by interactice function coding?
Anyone know what may have cause this? I only suspect a faulty controller.

DV52
10-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Hello, i am new member here,
My Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion is about 9 months old.
I order via ebay a set of genuine used folding mirrors, controllers, and switch.
As i had already mirror dipping function i didn't replace the passenger controller and everything worked with that side.
My old driver's controller was low spec 5Q0 959 393 D and i replace it with a 5Q0 959 593 B version(we have LHD in Greece).
Right away i noticed some problems.
1. orange led in lock switch did not work ( switch worked fine)
2. Puddle lights did not work on the mirror
3. My windows did not work most of the time. I turn the key off and back on and they worked fine, but i tested again after 10 min. they stopped working.

I email the seller and VW told him that:
"The problem is you need to go to the Vw store, they must put online coding of Both driver controllers ( 42 and 52). In odis you can say under interactive function " coding " than everything wil work only folding mirror not, but this you can code with vcds."

His english is not very good but what does he mean by interactice function coding?
Anyone know what may have cause this? I only suspect a faulty controller.

RAINFALLGR:Χαίρετε!

The "mirror dipping function" that your car had prior to retrofitting the mirror items is very different to the folding mirror facility (the former dips when you put the car in reverse, whilst the latter folds/unfolds when you operate the keyfob/ignition cycle):

So, from my understanding of your story, if you simply added folding mirrors to a car that previously didn't have folding mirrors, you will need to re-code the passenger and driver's side door control modules (@ hex address 42 & 52). For this, you will need to have access to a VCDS cable. It is entirely unnecessary to spend money at the dealer to use their ODIS - you can do all the changes with a VCDS cable

You will find the complete set of instructions on how to do this HERE (http://www.uspmotorsports.com/downloads/M001-Instructions.pdf)(the VCDS coding changes are near the end of the document)
Prost
Don

RAINFALLGR
11-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Thank you for your answer.

I have a VCDS cable and did the coding. As my passenger's controller was high spec ( 592 edition), i did not replace the controller, just coded with VCDS cable and worked ok.

My Driver's controller was low spec (393 edition) and i replace it wish a used high spec (593) controller. I coded with VCDS cable again but controller was acting very weird.

Seller told that i need "ONLINE CODING" via ODIS. so today i visited my dealer. And coded the controller for my car.
All the problems solved, but controller need again coding with VCDS cable. i recoded and everything is working fine.

So for all the folks outthere that are planning this convertion keep in mind that if you replace the Door controller you need to go to VW and do a "online coding" via ODIS.

MRG_AU
11-11-2015, 09:07 AM
I have the following door control modules, would these work for folding mirror mod..?
Passenger door control unit: 5Q4959592CZ03
Drivers door control unit: 5Q4959593CZ03

juniorgold
11-11-2015, 09:17 AM
I have the following door control modules, would these work for folding mirror mod..?
Passenger door control unit: 5Q4959592CZ03
I believe you do as the numbers matches up with what RAINFALLGR has stated ie Passenger door control unit: 5Q4959592CZ03

How do you check what control unit you have? Must you pull apart the door trim?

MRG_AU
11-11-2015, 09:29 AM
VCDS Adpmap shows these numbers in control module 42 and 52
;SW:5Q4-959-592-C HW:5Q4-959-592-B --- Door Elect Pass. (52)
;SW:5Q4-959-593-C HW:5Q4-959-593-B --- Door Elect Driver (42)
and the local dealer gave me the exact part numbers based on my VIN.
I read RAINFALLGR comments, my understanding is if the last 3 digits are 5 series, especially 592 and 593 then they will work. I just wanted to double check. Now would these controller work with these mirrors LHS-5G2 857 507 CC and RHS-5G2 857 508 AK for MK7 highline with DAP2,am I in the right track....?

juniorgold
11-11-2015, 11:15 AM
MRG, sorry I can't actually help you out here since I haven't done this and am no expert at it either. On a different note, how much did Adam quote you for the mirrors and switch plus postage? I ask because VW Central (VW Central (http://www.vwcentral.com.au/)) is quoting $1000 for the parts.

MRG_AU
11-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Prices are in my earlier posts back in April or May , I was quoted same in Canberra yesterday. However quote to fit the mirrors is over 600. So once all confirmed I am doing it myself

Regards,
MRG

juniorgold
11-11-2015, 11:28 AM
My apologies. I didn't go far back enough :facepalm: Thank you :) I'll ring Adam. Could you PM me his contact please?

DV52
11-11-2015, 11:39 AM
not sure if this will help answer some of these questions, but I got the information in the link below from Peekay34 some time ago (see early post in this thread)
Don

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2acd6vgahdn40v0/Golf%20mk7%20Door%20Control%20Module.pdf?dl=0

peekay34
11-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Lookup Volkswagen in South Yarra Commercial Rd ask for spares

juniorgold
13-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Any Wolfsburg wagon owners with a VCDS cable mind checking what door controllers are fitted to our cars? If not, any members around Glen Waverley or nearby SE suburbs have one and willing to help out?

Edit: Rang parts and got the numbers. For other R wagon owners' reference, they are
Driver - 5Q4959593EZ0PPassenger - 5Q4959592EZ0F

juniorgold
13-11-2015, 03:28 PM
Update: I rang Adam at South Yarra and he punched in my VIN into the system, surprisingly he could not find any folding mirrors that linked to my VIN as an option. So for Wolfsburg owners (maybe wagon only) looking to perform this retrofit, we might be out of luck. I will keep researching as I have not given up. I wonder if a VIN for a Wolfsburg hatch will be the same.

monkeysrus
27-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Any further news on this? I would like to fit to my WB wagon if i can.

juniorgold
27-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Any further news on this? I would like to fit to my WB wagon if i can.
I have been in contact with the Kufatech distributor here which is Autofidelity based in Melbourne. They are currently sourcing for the mirrors that will not only be compatible with our Wolfsburg door modules but also for a RHD market. I will update as soon as I hear back from them. Speaking with the MD at Autofidelity, he believes it will be a straight forward fit as we have the higher grade door modules in our cars but we won't be sure until we test it.

monkeysrus
27-11-2015, 07:28 AM
Great news. I was going to contact Kufatec!

rpwolf
27-11-2015, 11:05 AM
I have been in contact with the Kufatech distributor here which is Autofidelity based in Melbourne. They are currently sourcing for the mirrors that will not only be compatible with our Wolfsburg door modules but also for a RHD market. I will update as soon as I hear back from them. Speaking with the MD at Autofidelity, he believes it will be a straight forward fit as we have the higher grade door modules in our cars but we won't be sure until we test it.

Sounds promising! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

monkeysrus
28-11-2015, 12:32 PM
If a second order lowers the price ill happily put some cash down.

monkeysrus
28-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Any updates???

juniorgold
28-12-2015, 11:12 AM
If a second order lowers the price ill happily put some cash down.

Any updates???

A bulk order doesn't significantly lower the price.

The parts hasn't arrived and they only reopen on Jan 11th, I'll chase them up then. Once it's fitted, I'll update this space again.

monkeysrus
28-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the update

juniorgold
22-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Had the powered folding mirrors fitted yesterday at Autofidelity and installation was successful. Mirror dip on reverse still works. Blind spot assist still works too. It has led puddle lights too. The set comes without the mirror cover and glass, so those are transferred over from the old mirrors. I can also confirm that the mirror folds/unfolds when locking/unlocking on either side of the door handles. View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/34zczlt/9)

elastica_junky
22-01-2016, 01:03 PM
That's great would you be able to let us know where did you get the parts? Any special tricks to install?

juniorgold
22-01-2016, 03:25 PM
That's great would you be able to let us know where did you get the parts? Any special tricks to install?

Here's the link: https://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/complete-set-folding-mirror-vw-golf-72
However you will notice that the product advertised is for LHD market. MRG_AU sent an enquiry on their page and informed me that the local distributor was Autofidelity. I gave them a ring and they said they would source the parts individually required for the RHD and have Kufatech put it together. I paid exactly what is shown on Kufatech's website but invoiced from Autofidelity.

I left the installation to the professionals as I wasn't going to pull apart my door trims and risk breaking any clips or worse, damage the mirrors. There is a DIY guide from esp motorsport if you are inclined to fit them yourself.

MRG_AU
22-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Excellent. Congratulations.

Regards,
MRG

elastica_junky
22-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Here's the link: https://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/volkswagen/golf/golf-7-5q/complete-set-folding-mirror-vw-golf-72
However you will notice that the product advertised is for LHD market. MRG_AU sent an enquiry on their page and informed me that the local distributor was Autofidelity. I gave them a ring and they said they would source the parts individually required for the RHD and have Kufatech put it together. I paid exactly what is shown on Kufatech's website but invoiced from Autofidelity.

I left the installation to the professionals as I wasn't going to pull apart my door trims and risk breaking any clips or worse, damage the mirrors. There is a DIY guide from esp motorsport if you are inclined to fit them yourself.

That's really great. I am located in Sydney, I doubt that I can install them by Autofidelity. I definitely will give them a call for those parts., may be I just install them by myself. I really appreciate your contributions!!

rpwolf
22-01-2016, 11:48 PM
That's really great. I am located in Sydney, I doubt that I can install them by Autofidelity. I definitely will give them a call for those parts., may be I just install them by myself. I really appreciate your contributions!!

I'm also in Sydney and this (along with electric tailgate) was one of the biggest missing pieces for me so I really want this done. Will def make life easier in my tight garage. I won't do the install myself so might need to find someone local who can do it.

Keep us posted on the outcome of your call!

Ralfi
23-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Been quoted $1350...$1000 for the mirrors & $350 for the door controllers, which the standard GTI doesn't already have :(

Labour may be extra...unsure at this stage.

elastica_junky
24-01-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm also in Sydney and this (along with electric tailgate) was one of the biggest missing pieces for me so I really want this done. Will def make life easier in my tight garage. I won't do the install myself so might need to find someone local who can do it.

Keep us posted on the outcome of your call!

Hi rpwolf,

Well, I got some friends who work in smash repair industry. They deal with the mirrors these case all the time. It shouldn't be too hard.

juniorgold
25-01-2016, 07:59 AM
Been quoted $1350...$1000 for the mirrors & $350 for the door controllers, which the standard GTI doesn't already have :(

Labour may be extra...unsure at this stage.

Is this quote from Autofidelity Ralfi? If it were, tell them Kevin with the Wolfsburg wagon referred you. Can't see why the price would have jumped by $200 unless shipping is now more expensive.

Ralfi
25-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Is this quote from Autofidelity Ralfi? If it were, tell them Kevin with the Wolfsburg wagon referred you. Can't see why the price would have jumped by $200 unless shipping is now more expensive.

Nah, quote's from VW Central.

You paid $1150 for the mirrors/door modules/labour, or did you install them yourself? Does Autofidelity also do software tweaks? (hoping to get a few things done there too - VW Central charge a flat $55 fee for this).

Edit...Just noticed you have an R wagon, which means you would've already had the door modules....I've got to pay an extra $350 for these modules.

juniorgold
25-01-2016, 09:33 AM

You paid $1150 for the mirrors/door modules/labour, or did you install them yourself? Does Autofidelity also do software tweaks? (hoping to get a few things done there too - VW Central charge a flat $55 fee for this).

Edit...Just noticed you have an R wagon, which means you would've already had the door modules....I've got to pay an extra $350 for these modules.

The mirrors were $843. Not sure how much the labour cost was for mine cause it was bundled with installation of other accessories. Yeap I was lucky I had the proper door modules. Did you run a scan (any VW service centre can provide you with this by giving them your VIN) to check which door modules you have?

I'm not sure if they do software tweaks, you could ask. Alternatively, you could ask anyone on the forum to lend you a hand with VCDS tweaks and repay them with a 6 pack. What sort of tweaks are you after?

Ralfi
25-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Gees Audiofidelity just quoted me $2200. & charge $165/hour for software tweaks....No thanks.

Tweaks I'm after..,
-Traffic
-Indicator flash x4 (instead of 3)
-Alarm chirp on lock/unlock
-Performance gauges

juniorgold
25-01-2016, 12:24 PM
That seems a little steep just for a mirror upgrade. In this case, I would suggest to find someone else to fit the mirrors for you. But the cost of the mirrors is the cheapest I've found it to be from Kufatech/Autofidelity. I thought that's the standard hourly rate everywhere. Doubt the tweaks would take an hour, 30 minutes at most which will work out to be $82.5, still more than VW Central though. Good luck Ralfi! I'll try to get the part numbers of the mirrors from them since it is not listed on my invoice and hopefully that will help you and everyone else source for the correct parts that supports blind spot assist.

elastica_junky
25-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Gees Audiofidelity just quoted me $2200. & charge $165/hour for software tweaks....No thanks.

Tweaks I'm after..,
-Traffic
-Performance gauges

Ralfi,those tweaks are very easy to get it done apart of the performance gauges.
I have done the traffic, and alarm chirp. However, you need a vcds cable.

Ralfi
13-02-2016, 05:30 PM
That seems a little steep just for a mirror upgrade. In this case, I would suggest to find someone else to fit the mirrors for you. But the cost of the mirrors is the cheapest I've found it to be from Kufatech/Autofidelity. I thought that's the standard hourly rate everywhere. Doubt the tweaks would take an hour, 30 minutes at most which will work out to be $82.5, still more than VW Central though. Good luck Ralfi! I'll try to get the part numbers of the mirrors from them since it is not listed on my invoice and hopefully that will help you and everyone else source for the correct parts that supports blind spot assist.

Wait, do the electric mirrors come with blind spot assist or are there 2 types of electric mirrors (with/without blind spot assist)??

I noticed a couple of other cars on the freeway today with their BSA lights lit up in their mirrors. Seemed like a handy feature. If these VW mirrors come with it, that'll be a cool bonus.

Btw, latest quote was $1500 for the lot (parts, install, software tweaks).

Just need to ask if BSA comes with the parts they're looking at..

DV52
13-02-2016, 06:15 PM

Tweaks I'm after..,
-Traffic
-Performance gauges

What? $165/h - At that price, I'd be asking for gold-plated diagnostic cables!! LOL

Yes, as OP has said, just find yourself a forum colleague that has a cable and offer him/her a more realistic recompense (many will do the tweaks for you gratis)!
Cheers
Don
PS: The first three tweaks on your list should be OK, but the last one might be problematic. I assume that you have a MIBII unit installed in your car. My understanding is that the "performance gauge" requires a firmware upgrade of the infotainment unit (the thing inside the glove box) together with an activation code. I believe that the only way to get this done is through the dealer - and yes, the dealer's prices will make Audio-fidelities prices look cheap (expect to pay the dealer a price approaching the annual budget of a small African nation!)

Ralfi
13-02-2016, 07:49 PM
What? $165/h - At that price, I'd be asking for gold-plated diagnostic cables!! LOL

Actually, it was $165 for software tweaks. Luckily I have a copy of the commands for the tweaks I want on hand, so it won't take long to do.

Found out no Blind Spot Assist on mirrors as my car doesn't have the other sensors required. (no DAP).

monkeysrus
02-03-2016, 10:37 AM
I have some folding mirrors (inc switch) up for sale. Brand new in box unused, these are non DAP2 versions. Mirrors are electric folding and have puddle lights.

Cost me $700+, selling for $600.

Part numbers are:

VW Central
05-03-2016, 03:57 PM

Depending on your VIN some cars support the folding mirrors without the need for upgrading door modules, unfortunately some of the newer Golf R's we have seen come with Door Modules that do not contain the correct PR-codes necessary to support folding function. We like to ensure each customer is provided with the correct honest advice. We simply don't want to just sell you Folding Mirrors & the switch and send you off on your way. Despite the revision being B,C,D,E they need to have the correct colour code associated. The later generation door modules also cost more than a revision B set of door modules for vehicles prior to November 2014.

We charge a flat $200 for labour of the folding mirrors, which includes the VCDS coding.

I hope this sheds some light.

Ralfi
04-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Here we go. Had these things installed the other day. Very happy with them. Cheers VW Central.
https://vimeo.com/173245997
https://imgur.com/a/OlgYR

xssiiv
04-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Here we go. Had these things installed the other day. Very happy with them. Cheers VW Central.

Very nice, what was the overall install price?

Anyone know of an installer in Sydney?

Ralfi
04-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Very nice, what was the overall install price?

Anyone know of an installer in Sydney?

Thanks. $1200 installed.

I've held onto the original mirrors/door switch if anyone's in need of them fyi.

sillygogo
10-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Very nice, does it support Blind Spot Assist? Does any one know where I can get it done in Brisbane?

Ralfi
11-07-2016, 04:32 PM
does it support Blind Spot Assist? Does any one know where I can get it done in Brisbane?

Doesn't support Blind Spot Assist - you need extra sensors etc. for that to work, & you'd struggle to find anyone willing to do that; liability etc.

Try Darkhorse Developments for Brisbane. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f233/darkhorse-developments-automotive-qld-105267.html

monkeysrus
11-07-2016, 08:56 PM
I installed mine on a R estate with mib2 and blind spot assist, was easy 2hr install. Part numbers are slightly different thats all. Love the puddle lights!

Ralfi
11-07-2016, 09:06 PM
I installed mine on a R estate with mib2 and blind spot assist, was easy 2hr install. Part numbers are slightly different thats all. Love the puddle lights!

Interesting!

Beside the mirrors, how many extra parts did you need for BSA???

monkeysrus
12-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Interesting!

Beside the mirrors, how many extra parts did you need for BSA???

My car was already mib2 with blind spot, was just specific mirrors with the extra wires.

Ralfi
12-07-2016, 05:34 PM
My car was already mib2 with blind spot, was just specific mirrors with the extra wires.

Ahh, that's why. I thought you meant you installed the Blind Spot Assist (BSA) feature (& you didn't have it prior) as well as the folding mirrors.

If you've already got the DAP then yeah, you can get folding mirrors with BSA, but if you don't have DAP, then forget about BSA.

mpierce
12-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Ralfi, can you supply the part numbers you required. My car 2016 Golf R with DAP2.

Ralfi
12-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Ralfi, can you supply the part numbers you required. My car 2016 Golf R with DAP2.

My part numbers are of no use to you, mpierce, because I don't have DAP1/2. My folding mirrors are sans BSA.

monkeysrus' part numbers MAY be ones you want, but to make sure, contact VW Central - these part numbers need to be specific for your VIN number, which VW Central can check.......it's the best way to be sure.

mpierce
12-07-2016, 06:00 PM
OK... Thanks for quick reply!

mpierce
12-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Depending on your VIN some cars support the folding mirrors without the need for upgrading door modules, unfortunately some of the newer Golf R's we have seen come with Door Modules that do not contain the correct PR-codes necessary to support folding function. We like to ensure each customer is provided with the correct honest advice. We simply don't want to just sell you Folding Mirrors & the switch and send you off on your way. Despite the revision being B,C,D,E they need to have the correct colour code associated. The later generation door modules also cost more than a revision B set of door modules for vehicles prior to November 2014.

We charge a flat $200 for labour of the folding mirrors, which includes the VCDS coding.

I hope this sheds some light.
I have a 2016 Golf R, Chassis #WVWZZZAUZGW026265 in Melbourne.
Which parts do I require?
Can I order them direct from you?

VW Central
14-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I have a 2016 Golf R, Chassis #WVWZZZAUZGW026265 in Melbourne.
Which parts do I require?
Can I order them direct from you?

Sure can! We've sent you a PM.

chandi
01-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi mpierce,

How did you go installing the Mirrors?

I'm keen on doing the mod.

Have been talking to VW but no luck with the parts numbers supplied in the previous posts.

However, I got quoted on PASSAT MY15 R-line mirrors that fold and have puddle lights and lane change assist.

Cheers,

Chandi

mpierce
02-08-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm having them fitted this week. South Yarra VW special ordered parts from Germany. Took about 10 days for parts to arrive. Total cost with GST was a bit more than $700. I'll advise once fitted.

elastica_junky
03-08-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm having them fitted this week. South Yarra VW special ordered parts from Germany. Took about 10 days for parts to arrive. Total cost with GST was a bit more than $700. I'll advise once fitted.

That's good price!! I am very interested.

Golf GTI MK7

mpierce
03-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Read thread to get correct parts. I have DAP II. Yours are different.

chandi
04-08-2016, 12:20 AM
mpierce - That's a great price.

If you can keep us posted with part numbers and the install that will be great.

Have the mirrors got the puddle lights also?

Who's doing the install?

I can get my hands on a VAG cable if required.

mpierce
04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
monkeysrus posted part numbers earlier in this thread with puddle lights. VWCentral has offered to do install today... I'll advise.

mpierce
04-08-2016, 07:26 PM
VW Central did the install and I'm very happy with all the work they did to ensure everything was absolutely correct.

I had 2 options for the install:
1) mirrors fold in when doors lock; or,
2) long press key fob (I chose this)

All functions work correctly including blind spot, mirror dipping when reversing, puddle lights, folding in when in the car, etc.

Fitting the mirrors was straight forward and took them less than an hour. Coding them had some issues as VCDS updated the software which changed the menu structure where items were located. The boys did an excellent job in finding everything to program.
I tipped them a case of beer as they didn't let me go until they were sure everything was 100%...

BTW, Dean informed me that VW makes about 8 different mirror types and controllers specific to various cars! If in doubt about your car, talk to him first.

Big thanks to Dean and the boys!
Yes, I very happy I did this!��

Bassik
04-08-2016, 08:14 PM
VW Central did the install and I'm very happy with all the work they did to ensure everything was absolutely correct.

All functions work correctly including blind spot, mirror dipping when reversing, puddle lights, folding in when in the car, etc.

Fitting the mirrors was straight forward and took them less than an hour. Coding them had some issues as VCDS updated the software which changed the menu structure where items were located. The boys did an excellent job in finding everything to program.
I tipped them a case of beer as they didn't let me go until they were sure everything was 100%...

BTW, Dean informed me that VW makes about 8 different mirror types and controllers specific to various cars! If in doubt about your car, talk to him first.

And the cost?

mpierce
04-08-2016, 08:27 PM
$200 + plus case of beer!

VW Central
04-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words mpierce [emoji846]

We are glad you are happy.

VW Central will beat any written quote supplied by your local dealer.

No need to shop around anymore!

Simply scan and e-mail your quote showing the dealer and quote number and we will beat it!

Please e-mail to: quote@vwcentral.com.au

We have installers in most locations throughout Australia.

Hillbilly
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Can you do the mirrors on a B7 Passat to do that. I have tried coding mine to do it but they dont.

DV52
07-08-2016, 09:37 AM

did you have to pay GST on the "case of beer"? :banana:

Don

mpierce
07-08-2016, 09:44 AM
did you have to pay GST on the "case of beer"? :banana:

Don
Beer was on special!

kamold
07-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Can you do the mirrors on a B7 Passat to do that. I have tried coding mine to do it but they dont.

If you have gen4 controllers you should be able to change with VCDS coding (you can tell from a VCDS scan what gen by the suffix on the door controllers eg MAX3 or MAX4).
If you have Gen3 there may be a way to modify the EEPROM in the controller using VCP to fold on lock.

Bassik
07-08-2016, 11:56 AM

Nah I mean total?

mpierce
07-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Nah I mean total?

$709.50 for parts from South Yarra VW;
$225 for install to VW Central (for installation - they quoted me $200)

Bassik
07-08-2016, 02:27 PM
$709.50 for parts from South Yarra VW;
$225 for install to VW Central (for installation - they quoted me $200)

WOW.... that is a lot for folding mirrors.

Ralfi
07-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Wish I'd known dealers were able to import the parts........would've saved me ~$300.

Oh well, still very happy with em.

mpierce
07-08-2016, 04:22 PM
WOW.... that is a lot for folding mirrors.
You need to decide if you want them at that cost - 2 folding mirrors and the controller.

VW told me they would terminate the electrical warranty on doors if not VW genuine parts.

I could have brought mirrors for LHD car for $550 and they could have been installed but then they won't work properly on RHD car.

VW Central was originally selling parts for almost $1,000 but Dean is now price matching dealer cost and their cost for installation was very fair. They spent 1 hour installing and 2 hours coding. Their competitor was $165/hour. So, for me, it was a fair deal and value for my money and I appreciate professionalism.

Read some off the horror stories about guys who brought the knock off junk on eBay. You may very well change your mind as to what is value for your money.

monkeysrus
07-08-2016, 04:30 PM

My folding on long press has never worked. It does windows then pan roof blind and no more......

mpierce
07-08-2016, 04:45 PM
My folding on long press has never worked. It does windows then pan roof blind and no more......
Thank you for posting correct part numbers!

It took the boys at VW Central a bit of time to find that setting with their new VCDS software. Works perfectly... give them a call as I'm sure they can sort it out for you.

mpierce
07-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Wish I'd known dealers were able to import the parts........would've saved me ~$300.

Oh well, still very happy with em.
If someone hadn't talked about Adam at South Yarra VW ordering parts for them, I wouldn't have known either. I was going to pay higher price at another place when they told me they didn't have RHD parts. Told me LHD parts would work so, I booked in. I then read two horror stories about going down that path and cancelled my appointment.

We live and we learn.

monkeysrus
07-08-2016, 07:36 PM
Thank you for posting correct part numbers!

It took the boys at VW Central a bit of time to find that setting with their new VCDS software. Works perfectly... give them a call as I'm sure they can sort it out for you.

Im sure i just missed an adaption. Ill do some research and can hopefully sort!

NSNO
26-08-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm currently weighing up whether to get them or not. My old 2003 car had folding mirrors so it is disappointing that they don't come as standard on the GTI 40 (or even available as an option here). I have only just bought the car and I'm getting tints and car protection done to it so I'm finding it hard to justify another $1,000 on top of that for a pair of mirrors.

Having said that. I just like the look when they fold up as you park and they are useful if you park on a narrow street. Yes I know it's just as easy to fold them yourself but I'd prefer them to do it in unison and it looks stupid that you have a nice Golf but then you have to manually fold in the mirrors.

Does anyone know that if I order the black gloss mirrors for the GTI 40, do they come with puddle lights?

mpierce
26-08-2016, 02:45 PM
If you get correct parts from V or VW Central,, they'll have the puddle lights.

NSNO
26-08-2016, 02:47 PM
If you get correct parts from V or VW Central,, they'll have the puddle lights.

Ok that's great, thanks. It makes it more justifiable now as they do look pretty cool at night and they don't have them on the standard mirrors that the car comes with.

Ralfi
26-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Ok that's great, thanks. It makes it more justifiable now as they do look pretty cool at night and they don't have them on the standard mirrors that the car comes with.

Yeah the lights are great. I posted a vid on page 16 fyi.

NSNO
26-08-2016, 10:06 PM
Yeah the lights are great. I posted a vid on page 16 fyi.

Yes I did see that and they look boss, so I decided to pull the trigger and order some for myself.

xssiiv
26-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Yes I did see that and they look boss, so I decided to pull the trigger and order some for myself.

Nice, who did you order through and who is doing install?

I am considering them also for my GTi 40.

NSNO
27-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Nice, who did you order through and who is doing install?

I am considering them also for my GTi 40.

I ordered them from VW Central and I'm getting one of their installers in Sydney to do it for me.

mpierce
27-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Did they price match the costs for parts from VW dealer which I posted.

xssiiv
27-08-2016, 01:49 PM
I ordered them from VW Central and I'm getting one of their installers in Sydney to do it for me.

Ok awesome, let me know how it goes and I'll use the same guys.

NSNO
27-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Did they price match the costs for parts from VW dealer which I posted.

Did your price include GST?

NSNO
27-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Ok awesome, let me know how it goes and I'll use the same guys.

Ok no worries, will do.

mpierce
27-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Did your price include GST?
Yes!

NSNO
27-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes!

Right ok then mine was slightly dearer then.

VW Central
28-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Yes!

His car needed different mirrors to yours being a GTI Edition 40. The PR numbers are different.

Keep in mind the special deal we have with labour is applicable only when purchased through VW Central.

We provided you with that pricing as an exception because we didn't want to leave you with a set of mirrors and a high labour cost.

VRJ
03-10-2016, 12:38 AM
I would like to publicly acknowledge the good work performed by Julian, a mobile installer in Sydney who installed my 8" Discover Pro and folding mirrors that I purchased from Dean at VW Central. Julian is professional, knowledgeable, very patient and a nice guy. Thoroughly recommended.

Victor

VW Central
05-10-2016, 05:31 AM
I would like to publicly acknowledge the good work performed by Julian, a mobile installer in Sydney who installed my 8" Discover Pro and folding mirrors that I purchased from Dean at VW Central. Julian is professional, knowledgeable, very patient and a nice guy. Thoroughly recommended.

Victor

Thanks for the kind words Victor!

Happy we could help fit out your GTI with the factory options not made available to you from VW.

Servo
17-07-2017, 03:10 PM
I did this yesterday afternoon. Took me 3 hours but I'm sure I could've done it quicker. Pretty easy job it's just fiddly.

sfstealth
04-02-2018, 07:42 AM
I ordered the kit including both mirrors and switch from AliExpress for $142 (listing I bought is gone, search for "VW Golf 7 Mk7 Folding Mirrors Electric 5GG857507A 5GG857508A") (I got the kit for LHD without BSA). Work great! Mirror switch in the kit is clicky rather than OEM switch which isn't, doesn't bother me.

I sold the used mirrors for $180 each on eBay ended up cash positive on this upgrade.
The "puddle lights" are great.

Great installation doc is in this thread with VCDS programming info

Installation notes:
Tape wire or string to existing mirror cable when pulling it out rather than fishing a new one
Mirror cover swap: popping out the mirror is easy once you get over fear, push down clips - no need to remove screws
You can keep original mirrors or use the new ones (new ones have wide angle strip on left side, no “objects close than they appear", I kept my originals)
Position new cable clip based on original location so cable isn't stretched.
I broke some clips, order a pack of 10 for backup.

At the same time, you can install the red/white lighted reflectors ($13 for a set on Ali Express) need red and brown hookup wire.

Reedy
04-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Very interested in these mirrors. Any chance of a link to the ones similar to yours. Also is the switch the wrong way round that fits on the door?

FarQ
10-09-2018, 01:51 PM
So I am interested in doing this. I know i need to get a 593 door controller for the drivers side as i have the lowline one. I got camberwell VW spare parts to give me the part numbers for a my18 golf highline which has BSA + folding mirrors. Does anyone know if these are the right part numbers for folding + BSA?

LHS: 5G2857507 BQ9B9
RHS: 5G2857508 BQ9B9
Switch: 5G0959565 AJICX

hsvR
13-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Hey guys , been reading posts from heaps of forums and web sites in regards to fitting late model power folding mirrors to an early model Golf R with not much luck but after months of searching I have finally successfully installed a set of power folding mirrors into my MY15 Golf R. I purchased a used set of power folding mirrors off a wrecker with the door panel switch. The set was off an MY18 Golf R and came with BSM but I just tapped the connector up and did not use it as the early Golf R's did not come with the BSM option. I used the OBD11 devise along with the instructions found on here to code the mirrors and they worked perfectly. I did not need to replace the door controllers even though I bought them as well just in case.

tiyefah360
13-04-2020, 10:05 PM
Can anyone help me confirm if AliExpress power mirrors mated with a UKDM interior switch will work on an MY16 GTI?

I've read on vwvortex that AliExpress mirrors are fine but I am hesitant as they do not provide a RHD interior switch.

Do I even need a switch or can the AliExpress one be modded to fit an Aussie RHD car?

peekay34
17-04-2020, 03:58 PM
Can anyone help me confirm if AliExpress power mirrors mated with a UKDM interior switch will work on an MY16 GTI?

I've read on vwvortex that AliExpress mirrors are fine but I am hesitant as they do not provide a RHD interior switch.

Do I even need a switch or can the AliExpress one be modded to fit an Aussie RHD car?

Don't touch them they are built for left hand drive cars only. I made the same mistake.

FarQ
21-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Golf booked in with VWCentral to fit folding mirrors. Only car without them in my household.. not for long :)