PDA

View Full Version : VAG-COM purchasing advice please?

Caffeine
06-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Fairly certain this is where my thread needed posting?

Looking to purchase one of those hand help VAG-COM code reading and resetting units for use on my Bora 4Mo and Mk4 VR6.

Currently looking at evilbay cause thats where i do all my price researching.
Units range from $20-$300.

Can anyone recommend any of the units under $100?
Will i have compatibility problems with the cheaper units?
What does spending $300+ get me that i can't get in the cheaper units?

Other than a hand controller, what is the difference between this and using a laptop + cable + software combo?

What minimum functions do i need to read codes and reset them?

Snail Style
07-10-2014, 05:38 AM
If your using it purely for VW/Audi then it's best to get genuine VW. I use a multitude of OBD can programs for different makes and have never bothered to touch those hand held units. They will only scan engine fault codes, and may miss out on some manufacturer specific codes. That is pretty much where their function ends.

tigger73
07-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Problem is you buy a cheaper unit with basic functions and then you want to do some logging/diagnosis and you need the more expensive tool.

90% of people use the Ross-Tech tools/software. At least if you buy this you know it's going to do everything. Plus the product is supported/tested/widely used.

Just remember if you buy a Ross-Tech cable second hand it doesn't include support which costs an additional $99 if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h100vw
07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Don't compromise, spend the extra, get VCDS and be done with it. If you get out of VWs sell it and secondhand they go for well over $200. So no loss at all.
The software gets updated at least twice a year, firmware in the cables once in a while. I have several cables, the oldest is from 2005 and they all work just the same.
Gavin

KKK VR6
11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Get the one from ecstuning !
I've had mine for few years now, and I love it.
I haven't used it on the r36 yet, but I have used it on my neighbours 2010 Golf R.
I bought the can-bus one.

Kay