PDA

View Full Version : SWCM change now van pulls to the left.

Horace01
05-10-2014, 08:34 PM
So today I fitted the new steering wheel control module and as expected had to reset the steering adaptation and calibrate the steering sensor.

All is fine with the steering wheel buttons and everything is working as it should.

Unfortunately the van is now pulling to the left.

I'm assuming I have upset the wheel alignment, probably when removing the airbag as this is done with the battery disconnected and no power steering. You have to force the wheel around to be able to get to the airbag latches for removal.

I guess my question is does this seem likely or could I have incorrectly calibrated the steering angle sensor? Im not really sure how the steering wheel sensor works do would appreciate some comments.

Thanks.

vdubmotorworx
06-10-2014, 05:17 AM
if it didnt pull before you changed the wheel and control unit and now it does then try another recalibration of the steering angle sensor G85 on a flat surface. you wont havd changed the wheel alignment my moving the wheel without power steering. the steering angle sensor is very sensitive...

brad
06-10-2014, 06:12 AM
As above. There's no change to alignment settings when you remove steering wheel.

Horace01
06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks

Is there a way I can do the calibration without disconnecting the battery first to bring on the steering wheels MIL?

It has also been suggested that I have not aligned the steering wheel to the spindle correctly. I am pretty confident the markings on both line up.

If they didn't line up would that not cause the van to steer off the road when the wheel is straight? Currently when the wheel is straight the van travels straight it's only when I let the wheel go the van steers left a lot.

Horace01
07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
The plot thickens...

I reset the steering angle sensor G85 a couple of times and it has made no difference.

On further discussions with my other half the following information was devolved...."I did drive over that big speed hump thing down the road without slowing down, and there was a bit of a bang. Do you think that may have done something....I didn't want to tell you about it."

That trip was to the local shops the morning before I change the steering wheel!! Her car is some a big arse SUV and she never slows down for speed humps. Anyway Im assuming thats whats knocked out the alignment and as it happened after I had last driven the car and before I changed the SWCM I was not aware of any issues.

I have just got back from the wheel alignment guys and they told me they have done what they could but the van still pulls to the left. They guys comment was "all Euro cars do it, its just the way it is....." When I mentioned it never use to do it he just looked at me a shrugged his shoulders......

I have a copy of the measurement printout:

Camber Left initial measurement -0°16" Final measurement -0°16"
Camber Right initial measurement -0°44" Final measurement -0°45"

Individual Toe Left initial measurement -1.1mm Final measurement +0.2mm
Individual Toe Right initial measurement -0.7mm Final measurement +0.3mm

They have obviously adjusted the Toe but said the camber is not adjustable.

Can somebody please confirm if these measurements seem normal, or within normal parameters? Ive had a look at the information in ElsaWin but I really dont know much about suspension measurements.

Thanks

brad
07-10-2014, 04:14 PM
The camber should be adjustable by moving the subframe. Most aligners refuse to do it.

It's pulling because there is more -ve camber on the R than the L. They need to move the subframe to the LHS a bit.

Why haven't they given you the caster figures? That will also make it pull.

If they don't know what you are talking about, ring around until you find someone that does. No point you paying for their learning experience.

Ralf at TruTrac should be able to sort you out.

Have you tried swapping the wheels L to R at the front (hub to hub)?

Umai Naa!!
07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
It looks ok.

There's another rest you can do of the rack as well, from memory. The steering angle sensor is only part of the equation. You may need to calibrate the rack's end positions and dead centre position.

brad
07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Also, why have they given it toe-in? Most FWDs are toe-out

Horace01
07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
The camber should be adjustable by moving the subframe. Most aligners refuse to do it.

It's pulling because there is more -ve camber on the R than the L. They need to move the subframe to the LHS a bit.

Why haven't they given you the caster figures? That will also make it pull.

If they don't know what you are talking about, ring around until you find someone that does. No point you paying for their learning experience.

Ralf at TruTrac should be able to sort you out.

Have you tried swapping the wheels L to R at the front (hub to hub)?

Thanks. I'm aware of the subframe fix and figured either they didn't know or its not something they do.

Castor 10° LHS +6°28'. RHS +6°32'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vdubmotorworx
07-10-2014, 09:13 PM
have you recalibrated G85 since the wheel alignment? i find that on most cars after a w/a you dont need to but you get the odd one that after a perfect figure wheel alignment it drives crap..then after re cal of G85 its all good again...

Horace01
07-10-2014, 09:43 PM
have you recalibrated G85 since the wheel alignment? i find that on most cars after a w/a you dont need to but you get the odd one that after a perfect figure wheel alignment it drives crap..then after re cal of G85 its all good again...
Thanks. I haven't but will give it a go tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

brad
08-10-2014, 07:21 AM
If they can get more caster on the LHS or less on the RHS it would be helpful.

have they had a really good look for a bent Lower Control Arm . Also, there muight be some "gimme" in the ball joint mounts for a fraction of adjustment.

Horace01
08-10-2014, 09:17 AM
I doubt they had a really good look at anything.

Bent lower control arm is what I'm thinking.....

Horace01
09-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Reset the Sensor for Steering Angle (G85) and Steering Limit Stop today and the van is now driving straight and true.

Umai Naa!!
09-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Good to hear.

Thought it might've been something like that.