PDA

View Full Version : Golf 90tsi Comfortline VS 103tsi Highline

tigerwoodsgolf
30-09-2014, 01:30 PM
I've been reading through some vw watercooled forums but I haven't found many direct comparisons between the 90tsi comfortline and the 103tsi highline. I'm looking for a balance between a nice interior and most importantly, fun to drive!

So here are my three questions:

1. Has anyone test driven BOTH the 90tsi and 103tsi versions of the Golf. Is the 103 engine noticeably faster in overtaking, or off-line acceleration?

2. I have exactly 30k to spend. Do you think it's possible to get an MY14 103 Highline for exactly 30k?

3. What do you think is a better car, a 90tsi dsg comfortline with Driver's Assistance package or a 'base' 103 Highline? I'd like the added features of the DAP, but assign more value to a car that's more fun to drive, spritely in daily driving.

Sorry for all the questions, hoping for some help from some fellow VW fans!

Rhtside
30-09-2014, 02:32 PM
We have the 103 and love it. Put it in sports mode and there is plenty of fun to be had. I have driven the 90 in manual and found it a bit gutless. You should be able to find a 103 for 30k but it may take a while as they seem to be hard to find.

tigerwoodsgolf
30-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the info Rhtside! I'm a bit worried that I'll be wanting more out of the 90, and it won't be able to deliver (122hp isn't much on paper.)

tigger73
30-09-2014, 05:51 PM
You should be able to find a MY10/11 Mk6 GTI for around $30k...

Something like this one: 2011 Volkswagen Golf GTI MY11 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Golf-2011/SSE-AD-2595229/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1)

Plenty more poke than a 90TSI :P

sports racer
30-09-2014, 05:51 PM
If you bought the 90 every time you need a bit more power you'll be thinking "if only I'd bought that 103". Every single time.

The Bone Ranger
30-09-2014, 06:38 PM
If you bought the 90 every time you need a bit more power you'll be thinking "if only I'd bought that 103". Every single time.

Maybe. If that logic holds, then if you buy the 103, you'd be wishing you'd bought a GTI...

I can't find my copy of the Wheels comparison, but when they drove both cars, they preferred the 90TSI, suggesting that the engines felt nearly line-ball performance-wise, and that the "rorty" nature of the 90TSI has some character that the 103 lacked.

Sounds like you should just head to a dealer to drive them yourself.

Andrew

DV52
30-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Maybe. If that logic holds, then if you buy the 103, you'd be wishing you'd bought a GTI...

I can't find my copy of the Wheels comparison, but when they drove both cars, they preferred the 90TSI, suggesting that the engines felt nearly line-ball performance-wise, and that the "rorty" nature of the 90TSI has some character that the 103 lacked.

Sounds like you should just head to a dealer to drive them yourself.

Andrew

Andrew: I tried both before I bought the 103TSI. I have to admit that from a performance perspective, they were pretty much the same. The reason why I went for the highline was the luxury element (in my case). But there ain't nothin' wrong with the 90TSI is this isn't important to you!

point
30-09-2014, 07:42 PM
I had this exact dillemma, i drove both back to back a few times (couldn't decide). To be honest the 90tsi doesnt feel far off the 103, it's a pretty close match.

I ended up with a manual 90tsi (saved $7k+ over the 103) and dont regret it at all, the manual trans is by miles the best ive driven and makes the car much more fun.

The Bone Ranger
30-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Andrew: I tried both before I bought the 103TSI. I have to admit that from a performance perspective, they were pretty much the same. The reason why I went for the highline was the luxury element (in my case). But there ain't nothin' wrong with the 90TSI is this isn't important to you!

Makes sense to me. The extra fruit in the highline is definitely a strong argument.

I must admit, I'd forgotten about the extras that come with the up-spec motor. I sat in a highline wagon when we were shopping, and the enormous sunroof alone was darn impressive!

Andrew.

DV52
01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Makes sense to me. The extra fruit in the highline is definitely a strong argument.

I must admit, I'd forgotten about the extras that come with the up-spec motor. I sat in a highline wagon when we were shopping, and the enormous sunroof alone was darn impressive!

Andrew.

Andrew: life's too short for regrets! If you can afford it go for the highline. If you can't then take "point's" advice

tigerwoodsgolf
01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
I will absolutely need to test both. I'm hoping that I don't feel a big difference between the 103 and the 90. I think the 90 with DAP and upgraded rims might be a better overall package for the same price. Tough call though!

Alfred
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM

Andrew

Yep, exactly what wheels said. I think they also added that the 90tsi rides better because of its smaller rims.

I've driven my dads base 90tsi dsg and its quick of the mark because of the torque figures. Even though my daily is a mk3 golf, all the other new cars I've driven haven't felt as quick.

nway91
09-10-2014, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't bother with the Highline - grab a good deal on a nice 90TSI Comfortline with DA. For $30K you should be able to upgrade for a nice set of rims too. My parenter purchased that exact model and hasn't looked back since. I find his 90TSI to be both punchy and refined, especially once you chuck it into Sports mode. Sure the 103TSI will have a tad bit more poke, but it's not as though you're upgrading from a 77TSI to a GTI - the performance difference between the 90 and 103 is minimal at best.

As for spec, you're really adding a few token items in upgrading to the Highline. Test a model with DA and decide whether that is enough to win you over (it certainly won us over)

Kesh
10-10-2014, 08:34 AM
To 60km/h the 90 is very very quick, pretty much solely because of the incredibly short gearing. After about 80 it'll start to slow down a bit. But overtaking capabilities at 100 are quite astounding for what it is. Effortlessly goes from 100 to 120.