Support VWWC

Thread: Return fuel line tee piece

Users Country Flag

Return fuel line tee piece

Hi!

Im currently restoring my 76' golf!

Ive recently bought a battery for it and fired it right up. Its running a bit on the smokey side. Its looking like blue smoke to me, which Ive always read as burning oil, however the seller mentioned it may be running rich due to the fuel line missing the return line tee junction. The return line is right there, but isnt hooked up.

My question is does the return line require a restrictor? Both my logic and my manual say it does, however the genuine tee junctions ive seen have no mention of a built in restrictor, nor can I find much info on it on the web. I was thinking I could just substitute the 5mm tee for a 5, 5 and 4mm tee.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ill have to start up a post soon about my restoration! so far its all involved my tig torch!

For a while I had fixed mine with a t piece from a window washer jet. And didn't seem to make any difference.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the tip Tymk1

I tried an irrigation tee piece that matched the fuel line diameter on the weekend and it didn't really help. Still smelt very rich. Perhaps its time to read up on tuning the the solex carb, unless anyone else has a tip? cheers

Users Country Flag

The carby has a float bowl which rises when the carby is full of petrol and stops any more petrol coming in. This prevents too much fuel pressure in the carby and running rich. A return fuel line shouldn't make any difference to how much petrol goes into the carby.

You'll need to do some research on the Solex to see how everything works.

Cheers

Paul