Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2012 Polo GTI Engine Shudder between 1st and 2nd from takeoff

The car is built to give maximum fuel economy, that is a massive beat up for VW in the media, how fuel efficient it's cars are.
    This is why your dsg is always trying to shift into as-high-a-gear as possible, for fuel economy. When you have the ecu tuned it seems to become worse due to higher torque levels available to the engine, so it tries to shift gears even sooner then before (moreso GTI specific here). The clamp pressure on the clutch actuators also ramps up far more slowly from factory, resulting in more clutch slip. Yes, the driveability is slightly increased due to smoother take offs and gear changes but that slipping -especially when the clutch material and drive plate are hot- are overheating the clutch material and as an end result, clutch material gets deposits on the drive plate so that when you take off and the k2 clutch slips on the drive plate (because the car is in too high a gear and the slipping is 'more comfortable') you feel the clutch sliding over those deposits, giving you the shudder. It's exactly the same as "warped brakes", but that's a myth to debunk another day...

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for that. I've always felt that the problem was an inherent flaw of a dry clutch system coupled with the shifting point being in the wrong place for D mode gear 2 on take off.

I'm surprised VW hasn't offered a software fix for this. Seems like many dealers end up changing the clutches. Surely that costs VW a small fortune given the number of replacements. I've noted drivers having theirs replaced each time the judder comes back every 2 years.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
    My first set of clutches went at 18000km. The car was tuned for a portion of those clicks. I had the mod removed and it has been stock ever since.
    Guess when the 2nd set of clutches went? Almost exactly 18000km later, at around 36000km.
    So it certainly doesn't appear to be the mods that caused the the problem for me. More likely my daily commute involving lots of hills.
    Anyway, I've just come upon my 3rd 18000km (54000km) and the clutches appear to be ok... Although I did have one episode where I thought they were slipping again just last week, but so far seems to have been a one off. Hope I'm not speaking too soon.
    Maybe the new clutch material is an improvement... Hopefully so, as car is now out of warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by Rawcpoppa View Post
    Thanks for that. I've always felt that the problem was an inherent flaw of a dry clutch system coupled with the shifting point being in the wrong place for D mode gear 2 on take off.

I'm surprised VW hasn't offered a software fix for this. Seems like many dealers end up changing the clutches. Surely that costs VW a small fortune given the number of replacements. I've noted drivers having theirs replaced each time the judder comes back every 2 years.
    You have inadvertently answered the implied question of your ponderings.

Vw cannot offer a software fix to solve the problem, it would be corporate suicide on their part. Why? Simple really.

They would be admitting that the aftermarket tuning companies fix a fundamental problem that VW has, yet these same companies are outlawed by VW's own protocols.

Can you imagine the flood gates of refused warranty lawsuits against any vehicle manufacturer if VAG were to admit that a company like TVS engineering were right and that VW's software engineers were wrong? That a warranty-voiding software flash fixed a problem that VW have?

A skeptics view? For sure, but what manufacturer would admit that another company exposed the flaws and then made their products better, safer, more reliable?

Also think about the intellectual property as well, by law can VAG do what TVS and others are doing with their software by competing the same parameters? Would it breach IP laws and patents etc?

Stage 2+ Intercooler Carbon Intake Downpipe Swaybar DV+ Remsa.

Users Country Flag

I thought I might share my grief with you guys about this issue, I had my clutch changed 3 times. About few months ago, it started slipping in automatic not manual override. It usually happened when you are trying to exit around the corner very quick by press the pedal down. Another scenario is going up a hill from around the corner, such as car park ramps.

My theory for the DSG is if it is a slow speed with hilly terrain, I would always shift the gear to manual. This gives me more control over the computer trying to change the gear when it can. Also it brings a bit of fun

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234