Thread: Navigating to Contact Addresses (Mk7 Discover Nav)

Users Country Flag

Navigating to Contact Addresses (Mk7 Discover Nav)

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck with navigation from phone contacts? In my case the navigation always takes me to the centre of the suburb in which the contact lives. I've tried entering the contact information in various different ways, all to the same effect.

I have an Android phone. Any iPhone users out there having better luck?

Navigating to Contact Addresses (Mk7 Discover Nav)-screenshot_2014-07-22-07-42-15-jpg
    Navigating to Contact Addresses (Mk7 Discover Nav)-screenshot_2014-07-22-07-43-09-jpg
    Navigating to Contact Addresses (Mk7 Discover Nav)-dsc_0290-jpg
    Navigating to Contact Addresses (Mk7 Discover Nav)-dsc_0289-jpg

Cheers,
    --
    Greg.
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Anyone!
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

In the above case, I wouldn't be surprised if the software has trouble determining the street within the suburb from the value "Suite 1/318 Stephensons", which has no street type, and contains the sub address type and sub address number in the same string. Plenty of professional address parsing software would have problems with that, let alone a satnav.

Try just "318 Stephensons Road" in the street field.
    Last edited by AdamD; 27-07-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Thanks Adam. I have tried simple things like that. It can't get anything right. Have you had any luck?
    --
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by lambertia View Post
    Thanks Adam. I have tried simple things like that. It can't get anything right. Have you had any luck?
    Does it always fail in the same way? IE always matches suburb/state/postcode but never street name or number? Have you tried different derivations of the street type (eg "St", "Street"), omitting the street number, etc?

I don't have a Mk7 or contact integration myself, so I can't comment from personal experience.

Hi!

I tried you suggestion for the original post. And lo and behold it worked. "Suite 1/318" and "1/318" confused it. I'll forgive the former but not the latter. As for all of my other contacts. Before seeing your latest post I tried "St" instead of "Street". And that works. That's pretty crazy! The programmers who wrote this stuff should hang their heads in shame!

Thanks for your help!
    --
    Greg.
    --
    Greg

Users Country Flag
    A house number / street number confuses it.

add the street number only, and remove the term "suite". It doesn't know what that is.

Yep got that. But not understanding "street" is ridiculous. It's also ridiculous not to understand 1/123 in some manner. How do I send a postcard to someone if I can't store their apartment number?
    --
    Greg

Yes, it's pretty poor form, but given the black art that is address parsing, I'm not too surprised they've not spent too much development effort on it (consider that the software likely has to deal with addressing formats from across the world).

Glad to hear you managed to get your problem solved!